The 2024-2025 Roster Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
I don’t think you understand how bad Sandstrom is. He is not even an AHL starter
I understand how you feel about him I just don't think it matters. It's very rare to have a 3rd goaltender that would be just fine if your other two got injured. Your season is likely done regardless of whether he is just bad or if he is terribly bad. Most teams in the league do not survive two long term injuries to their two goalies.

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
Assuming that your goalies aren't going to get injured all year is foolish.

To have two starting caliber goalies on your roster is a hell of a lot smarter than having one. Reimer isn’t staring material. If UPL got hurt who do you think is getting the majority of starts, Reimer or Levi?

Again, Boston, a team that has done it right for a long tome, had a very similar situation to what we currently have and they went with Swayman and Ullmark.

And so what if one of our goalies get hurt? Play the other one and make a small trade for a veteran. They have the cap space and it wouldn’t cost very much draft capital.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I was thinking Boston would claim Reimer if he gets waived.

They still might if they prefer him to Patera if only to damage us a bit? We could be competing for a playoff spot

Anaheim might also be thinking about Reimer depending on how they start with Gibson dinged.

Reactions: BUCKSHOT

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
To have two starting caliber goalies on your roster is a hell of a lot smarter than having one. Reimer isn’t staring material. If UPL got hurt who do you think is getting the majority of starts, Reimer or Levi?

Again, Boston, a team that has done it right for a long tome, had a very similar situation to what we currently have and they went with Swayman and Ullmark.

And so what if one of our goalies get hurt? Play the other one and make a small trade for a veteran. They have the cap space and it wouldn’t cost very much draft capital.
I'm not saying you're wrong. I think Levi needs to play as much games as possible whether it's in Rochester or Buffalo with a UPL injury. And if Reimer is picked up by another team, ROC would suffer and Levi wouldn't get as much ice time. I'm hoping that's not their decision.

Reactions: Jacob582

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
I'm not saying you're wrong. I think Levi needs to play as much games as possible whether it's in Rochester or Buffalo with a UPL injury. And if Reimer is picked up by another team, ROC would suffer and Levi wouldn't get as much ice time. I'm hoping that's not their decision.

So at what point is it OK for Levi to be on the team and not get as much ice time?

Because they play UPL as the Buffalo starter, sit Reimer on the bench as the backup and Levi gets needed game action as the starter in Rochester?

Swayman and Ullmark split duties when Swayman was 22. UPL had a good season last year and should, at the moment, be considered our #1 goalie but nobody here is going to convince me that Levi isn’t capable of taking that spot away from him and in a hurry.

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
Swayman simply had better stats than Levi did in his 1st post college year. Levi just hasn't earned it yet baby imo

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix

If UPL gets hurt and goes on IR they can call up Levi and not lose any players to waivers in yhe process.

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
If UPL gets hurt and goes on IR they can call up Levi and not lose any players to waivers in yhe process.

And if we lose out a playoff spot because Reimer lays multiple eggs while he’s in the crease I guess we can all be happy because Levi got more time in the A.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
But why do that if Levi is better than Reimer?
As I gave said I ser them going with a 13/7/2 roster.

Primer dresses as the primary backup but he and Levi split back up goalie games. Since Rochester is heavy weekend games. Itd likely going to br more mid week Levi games

The days Levi is sent starting they can call up one of the kids to fill in the line up ot give them a start at W or D

And if we lose out a playoff spot because Reimer lays multiple eggs while he’s in the crease I guess we can all be happy because Levi got more time in the A.
I'm not expecting that but sure if it does then you send him to Rochester

I'm sure some person on herr if sabres fall short they will blame Reimer playing instead of Levi.

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
No. You start with a strong starter, UPL, a very good back up, Reimer when UPL needs a rest, and a 1B goalie, Levi getting enough action as a starter to be razor sharp when they head into the meat of the season. UPL, Levi and Reimer are not going to win every game, but your starter UPL, if he plays at the level that earned him the contract should win more than most. Reimer will not be a step down early in the season. Losing Reimer before the season starts on a waiver claim means neither UPL nor Levi can miss any time due to injury. If they do their replacement is not likely to win you any games. Having goatlending as a position of strength and depth would be a plus. After the holidays you can promote Levi for a run and have Reimer in reserve as he is less likely to be claimed in season.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
No. You start with a strong starter, UPL, a very good back up, Reimer when UPL needs a rest, and a 1B goalie, Levi getting enough action as a starter to be razor sharp when they head into the meat of the season. UPL, Levi and Reimer are not going to win every game, but your starter UPL, if he plays at the level that earned him the contract should win more than most. Reimer will not be a step down early in the season. Losing Reimer before the season starts on a waiver claim means neither UPL nor Levi can miss any time due to injury. If they do their replacement is not likely to win you any games. Having goatlending as a position of strength and depth would be a plus. After the holidays you can promote Levi for a run and have Reimer in reserve as he is less likely to be claimed in season.
Heh...goatlending

DapperCam

Jul 9, 2006

Reimer is a decent backup, he has a much better resume than Comrie. I don't think he will be laying eggs.

Ad

Ad

Ad