OT: Other Sports aka CSU Football Thread XX

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Earl Thomas is unbelievably good. I hate that Sherman gets all the press for their secondary. It's Thomas who affords all these other guys to take chances.

The one thing I do like about Seattle though is they seem to have scouting down to a T. Which is something the Broncos have not had in a long time. But if Quinn wanted guys and Elway wanted someone else, I think we all know who is going to get his way in that argument.

Earl Thomas makes me hate that degenerative knee conditions are a thing and that Kenny Phillips fell apart...also that Will Hill is such a dumbass...but I hate that most of the time. Kenny Phillips wasn't on Earl Thomas's level but he was as good as anyone else at taking away the deep ball. ET is just on another level, possibly the most high impact DB in the game right now despite playing safety.

ColoradoSportsFan

Jul 16, 2005
Denver, Colorado
So the interview is gonna pretty much just be "you want the job?"..."sure"..."cool, let's get some lunch" right?

Anyone catch Sharpe's interview on the Fan yesterday. Always the best half hour of the Drive whenever he's on.

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
Just when the Nuggets were showing signs of life, they get swept in a back to back. You can forgive losing @ Dallas, but there's no excuse for losing at home to Minnesota. Period.

At least CSU won again. Womped SJSU, 70-41. Huge, huge game at home against San Diego State on the 24th. They're going to have to beat the big dogs in the MW, and SDSU is one of them. They beat Nevada, Boise, Air Force, and now SJSU but they already lost to UNM and Wyoming. So this is going to be an important test to see if they're really among the conference's elite. But either way, 17-2 is a hell of a start.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Channel 4 in San Fran is saying Mike Shanahan is a candidate for the 49ers OC job

That's right, Mike Shanahan. Not Kyle.

ColoradoSportsFan

Jul 16, 2005
Denver, Colorado
reports this am if Kubiak is offered the job today, he's taking it

Expect a new head coach in the next 48.

I think we'll know tonight with a presser on Tuesday or Wednesday.

Peyton and Dymarius out of the Pro Bowl.

Also interesting reading that Elway...not Fox had to rip the team after a bad loss...again.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Elway's possessed with winning the SB.

I wonder if he will regret not firing Fox earlier. I will eat tons of crow - I thought Fox was ok and there weren't better options out there (and they shouldn't have fired him 1-2 years ago), but it's sounding like he was way too soft on these guys now.

It also puts a small nail in the coffin of Adam Gase coming back, at least for me. This sounds like a culture change is needed.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Wow...

Elway had to "rip in to the team" after a bad loss? Which loss was it? One earlier in the season, or the Playoff loss?

Either way, I think that says all I need it to say for my opinion about John Fox. I think now he was planning on leaving at the end of the season regardless.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Elway's possessed with winning the SB.

I wonder if he will regret not firing Fox earlier. I will eat tons of crow - I thought Fox was ok and there weren't better options out there (and they shouldn't have fired him 1-2 years ago), but it's sounding like he was way too soft on these guys now.

It also puts a small nail in the coffin of Adam Gase coming back, at least for me. This sounds like a culture change is needed.

There's a lot of speculation, including from Vic Lombardi, that he already does. I'll say it again, John Fox is the modern-day Marty Schottenheimer. John Elway has to see that now and that's gotta be sticking in his craw.

I dunno though, I don't see how you can fire a head coach after a dominant season and Super Bowl appearance unless there was some surefire hotshot coaching candidate available, and there wasn't.

I don't think Fox was too easy on the guys, I just don't think he did a very good job of getting guys prepared for big games and was about the worst in-game tactician I've ever seen. He was even a bad clock manager like Marty used to be at times.

If there was a time to fire Fox, it would've been after the loss to the Ravens. IMO there would've been a hell of a lot more justification for it, and it would've been a lot easier to sell to the fans. Fox's conservatism was in full display right then and there, and that's when I realized he was never gonna win the big prize. You HAVE to know when to roll the dice. That's why a guy like Sean Payton got there and won it all despite a roster with a ton of holes, and a guy like Fox can't and never will despite a pretty damned stacked roster.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Lombardi seems to have a real good source on the Broncos, so it's always interesting what he says there.

I'll admit I didn't want Fox fired earlier. Peyton is so OCD that he needs that familiarity and control given from the coach. That's why Kubiak (or whoever) is going to have to assure him that he can still have things his way. Not sure getting rid of Fox was ever an option until Peyton was ok with it, so after the Baltimore debacle he might not have been. After 3 straight failures he felt differently.

I thought Fox would last the Manning era and then when that's over start the rebuild with new coach, new QB. But I'm sure Elway won't stand for a total rebuild, which is good in some ways but hopefully he can pull off the transition. But Elway saw that Fox wasn't getting the most out of this group with this window. It's a unique situation for a coach to step in with so many pieces in place and such high expectations. One reason why a coordinator embarking on his first rodeo is not a good fit.

I believe Elway had to fire them up at halftime of a game at home they eventually won, maybe Miami? Maybe I'm remembering that wrong but either way it was definitely mid season when Elway said something to the room.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
That's very interesting to hear because John Fox never struck as the kind of coach who didn't rip into his team when it was called for with the Panthers or Giants. That's the kind of thing I'd love to hear his true thinking on, because I do respect him quite a bit and think of him as Dinosaur-lite, which is why I'm happy for the bears to have him if they secure lil Shanny and Fangio or Allen as his co-ordinators. I'm curious whether that situtation was a case of Fox not doing what needed to be done, or Elway overstepping because he's so focused on getting Peyton another SB with the Broncos.

As for my bears optimism...it doesn't hurt that I think that Cutler is a much better QB than much of the city of chicago. But this place has never had a high end QB, at least not in the SB era. The punky QB had that pretty good two years when they won the SB, but that's literally the best QB performance the franchise has ever seen, so people around here don't know how to react to a QB who's genuinely got talent and isn't a Cade McNown caliber ******* or as mentally inept as Sexy Rexy, aka the Rex Cannon. Then you look at the talent Cutler was surrounded with his first seasons in chicago, alongside the extreme abuse he's received from the fanbase, and the quality of their "coaching" in that time; and it's obvious to see why his time in Chicago has generally been a failure, or at the very least a disappointment, and why it looks likely his bears days are at an end.

At this point they probably can't just reset the clock with him and the finally-non-mediocre-to-awful talent and coaching they're on the brink of assembling, but if that situation was salvageable this bears team could do some exceptional things on offense. The defense will suck until they add quite a bit of talent, but either Allen or Fangio would make it suck less and give them a nice starting point to build around as long as the new management does well bringing in talent.

At least if he leaves the Bills have a good chance of being in the mix, with the new ownership, dat defense, Rex coming in to make that group even more amazing, and Brady's pats being far from their best, a big move for a QB like Jay would seem to be the final touch for them, especially cause it would let them sit EJ Manuel for a few seasons and develop him, as there was talent there, if it hasn't been ruined. I would be really happy for that town and the teams' fans to take the AFC East and have a real shot at a SB. Rex working with that defensive talent is a scary enough proposition, but letting Cutler feed Watkins with Spiller around would give them an offense that could put up boatloads of points in a hurry. They won't be able to afford it for long, but that's why you hope you haven't ruined EJ Manuel yet, assuming Jay doesn't blossom with them, like Kelly did, and force them to sacrifice some of the defense or Spiller to keep him.

ColoradoSportsFan

Jul 16, 2005
Denver, Colorado
Lombardi seems to have a real good source on the Broncos, so it's always interesting what he says there.

I'll admit I didn't want Fox fired earlier. Peyton is so OCD that he needs that familiarity and control given from the coach. That's why Kubiak (or whoever) is going to have to assure him that he can still have things his way. Not sure getting rid of Fox was ever an option until Peyton was ok with it, so after the Baltimore debacle he might not have been. After 3 straight failures he felt differently.

I thought Fox would last the Manning era and then when that's over start the rebuild with new coach, new QB. But I'm sure Elway won't stand for a total rebuild, which is good in some ways but hopefully he can pull off the transition. But Elway saw that Fox wasn't getting the most out of this group with this window. It's a unique situation for a coach to step in with so many pieces in place and such high expectations. One reason why a coordinator embarking on his first rodeo is not a good fit.

I believe Elway had to fire them up at halftime of a game at home they eventually won, maybe Miami? Maybe I'm remembering that wrong but either way it was definitely mid season when Elway said something to the room.
It would have been unprecedented but I have come around to agree with Lombardi that Elway should have fired Fox after the Super Bowl. You could almost tell there was a disconnect during that post Super Bowl presser where Fox while dissapointed was a bit laid back. But Elway was angry, fired up and spitting nails. And I think that disconnect all started in the loss to Baltimore when Fox sat on the ball at the end of regulation. Elway backed Fox but you know it killed Elway to not even try.

I dont think it was Miami but I know what your talking about. Don't forget how he ripped the team after the pre-season game against Seattle in 2013. Combine that with Joel Dreesens comments and you kinda start to think Fox was more of a passenger than a leader.

That's very interesting to hear because John Fox never struck as the kind of coach who didn't rip into his team when it was called for with the Panthers or Giants. That's the kind of thing I'd love to hear his true thinking on, because I do respect him quite a bit and think of him as Dinosaur-lite, which is why I'm happy for the bears to have him if they secure lil Shanny and Fangio or Allen as his co-ordinators. I'm curious whether that situtation was a case of Fox not doing what needed to be done, or Elway overstepping because he's so focused on getting Peyton another SB with the Broncos.
I think Elway wants to see Manning get another ring but he is desperate to get another one for Pat Bowlen while Bowlen can still enjoy it on some level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Ad

Ad