Oshawa Generals 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part 1)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
second line could be improved upon for sure if that’s the case. I think Rehkopf, Misa, Martone would be a better first line and would be one of the best in not only the ohl but the whole chl.

Allard on the second line would still provide scoring but would also have a more defensive role which would be huge come playoff time. Not familiar enough to make the lines but I’m sure 1 or even both of Karmiris/macDonnell would be on that line
Karmiris is a points leader waiting to happen. He was a ppg player from the time Loukus was acquired; with Rehkopf on his wing, ...

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
That lands us on Oshawa. Is Oshawa’s goal to win a championship? If so, what are their current gaps? 2nd line centre and a D-Man is needed as well as maybe a decent winger (assuming Roobroeck returns). To me, that is all they need and they potentially have as many as two OA spots that can be upgraded on. Will they do all that with OA upgrades or will they go bigger? We don’t really know whether they are simply trying to enter the bidding in an effort for raising the price of Barlow. Who knows?

If Roobroeck returns, Oshawa is definitely not going to “upgrade” two of their OA spots. And they’re absolutely NOT going to “upgrade” all three OA spots as one badly misguided comment proclaimed earlier today.

Jake Oster was the best goalie in the league last year. Regardless of people who throw a tantrum and disagree with that, facts are facts. On top of that, Oster is one of the emotional leaders for Oshawa. How do you possibly “upgrade” that?

Roobroeck is one of the most physically dominant players in the league whenever he decides that he wants to be. He’ll average over a point per game and pummel a half dozen saps throughout the season when he drops the gloves. Once again, it’s completely unrealistic to “upgrade” Roobroeck.

Then there’s Luca D’Amato on defence. He’s a top four defenseman who proved he could log 25+ tough minutes a game in addition to anchoring the power play and killing penalties.

The ridiculous idea of giving away multiple high draft picks to try and “ upgrade” D’Anato with Konnor Smith makes ZERO sense because there’s little to no “upgrade” from D’Anato to Smith. Oshawa would literally be pissing draft picks down the drain to do something that dumb.

They would be infinitely better served to use those draft picks to acquire a decent 18 or 19 year old middle six forward.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
If Roobroeck returns, Oshawa is definitely not going to “upgrade” two of their OA spots. And they’re absolutely NOT going to “upgrade” all three OA spots as one badly misguided comment proclaimed earlier today.

Jake Oster was the best goalie in the league last year. Regardless of people who throw a tantrum and disagree with that, facts are facts. On top of that, Oster is one of the emotional leaders for Oshawa. How do you possibly “upgrade” that?

Roobroeck is one of the most physically dominant players in the league whenever he decides that he wants to be. He’ll average over a point per game and pummel a half dozen saps throughout the season when he drops the gloves. Once again, it’s completely unrealistic to “upgrade” Roobroeck.

Then there’s Luca D’Amato on defence. He’s a top four defenseman who proved he could log 25+ tough minutes a game in addition to anchoring the power play and killing penalties.

The ridiculous idea of giving away multiple high draft picks to try and “ upgrade” D’Anato with Konnor Smith makes ZERO sense because there’s little to no “upgrade” from D’Anato to Smith. Oshawa would literally be pissing draft picks down the drain to do something that dumb.

They would be infinitely better served to use those draft picks to acquire a decent 18 or 19 year old middle six forward.

You wouldn’t be upgrading D’Amato. You’d be prioritizing a different element that is of higher need.

That isn’t to suggest D’Amato is useless or irrelevant. A guy like Smith is less abundantly available. So “if” Oshawa is looking for an element that Smith brings in an effort to sort of replace Punnett, then I could see them sacrificing D’Amato’s roster spot to make room for Smith.

It all comes down to identifying gaps and finding creative ways of filling them. Sometimes flipping an OA for another OA can accomplish that at a cheaper cost. As you said, they cannot move Oster or Roobroeck so D’Amato would be the guy.

This also could be a situation where they are waiting on Roobroeck. It could end up being Torrance that is flipped with D’Amato and Oater staying and Roobroeck signing a pro contract. Who knows?

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
You wouldn’t be upgrading D’Amato. You’d be prioritizing a different element that is of higher need.

That isn’t to suggest D’Amato is useless or irrelevant. A guy like Smith is less abundantly available. So “if” Oshawa is looking for an element that Smith brings in an effort to sort of replace Punnett, then I could see them sacrificing D’Amato’s roster spot to make room for Smith.

It all comes down to identifying gaps and finding creative ways of filling them. Sometimes flipping an OA for another OA can accomplish that at a cheaper cost. As you said, they cannot move Oster or Roobroeck so D’Amato would be the guy.

This also could be a situation where they are waiting on Roobroeck. It could end up being Torrance that is flipped with D’Amato and Oater staying and Roobroeck signing a pro contract. Who knows?
Also losing 2 guys like Punnett and roobroeck they need some body guards on the team and smith would be a need at that point.

Smith may not be as offensively gifted as d’amato but with them getting szovil- having 2 of the same types of players on the same team doesn’t make a whole ton of sense and brings the individual value of d’amato down (where on a team like Kingston for instance he would be more valuable as I believe hypothetically speaking he would be the quarterback on our powerplay)

This is not a knock at d’amato either but it may just whatever the gens management needs in a go for it year. I’d throw d’amato in the same category as Spencer Sova who got traded to Brampton. Brampton needed that quarterback on the powerplay. Some team would still pay top dollar for a guy like d’amato if they ended up trading him for a bigger tougher, better defensive minded d man.

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
When you add a player to the lineup at the expense of removing another player from said lineup, it’s either an upgrade or a downgrade.

Several people in this thread - - most if not all of them non-Generals fans - - have been incessant about Oshawa “upgrading” their OAs.

As I’ve explained numerous times, the trio of Oster, Roobroeck and D’Amato are an excellent group of OAs. Few, if any teams in the league will have a better group.

There’s a limited number of resources- - aka draft picks and young players - - that a team has available to make “upgrades”. This applies to EVERY team, not just to Oshawa.

Those resources would be MUCH better spent adding a middle six forward who is NOT an OA. This would bump someone from the middle six to the fourth line, and someone from the fourth line to the press box.

That’s an actual “upgrade”.

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
Smith may not be as offensively gifted as d’amato but with them getting szovil- having 2 of the same types of players on the same team doesn’t make a whole ton of sense and brings the individual value of d’amato down

You cannot depend on a Euro making his North American debut seamleasily stepping into a top four spot on defence for a championship contender.

Having watched Svozil during the intra squad scrimmage, I have some concerns about how nonchalant - - bordering on careless - - he was with the puck. Maybe he was just taking it easy during the scrimmage, but that was a major red flag for me.

I’ll be watching for him on Sunday in their pre season game, but at this point I certainly wouldn’t count on Svozil for anything more than bottom pairing minutes.

In comparison, D’Amato has proven that he can handle 25+ tough minutes in a game. That’s exactly what a team with championship aspirations needs.

Graduating Punnett was a huge loss to the defence. Also losing D’Amato would be catastrophic. And the nonsensical suggestion of losing BOTH D’Amato AND Bedkowski in addition to the loss of Punnett is one of the most asinine proclamations I’ve read on this site.

It defies logic for a championship contender to leave itself with only three proven and reliable defencemen. You need at minimum five and preferably six that can be counted on.

I can’t comprehend why anyone would be advocating for wasting assets to replace such a dependable player as D’Amato with a “tough guy” on defence. There lots of 19 year old goons who could raise hell on the 3rd or 4th line available for a middling draft pick.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
You cannot depend on a Euro making his North American debut seamleasily stepping into a top four spot on defence for a championship contender.

Having watched Svozil during the intra squad scrimmage, I have some concerns about how nonchalant - - bordering on careless - - he was with the puck. Maybe he was just taking it easy during the scrimmage, but that was a major red flag for me.

I’ll be watching for him on Sunday in their pre season game, but at this point I certainly wouldn’t count on Svozil for anything more than bottom pairing minutes.

In comparison, D’Amato has proven that he can handle 25+ tough minutes in a game. That’s exactly what a team with championship aspirations needs.

Graduating Punnett was a huge loss to the defence. Also losing D’Amato would be catastrophic. And the nonsensical suggestion of losing BOTH D’Amato AND Bedkowski in addition to the loss of Punnett is one of the most asinine proclamations I’ve read on this site.

It defies logic for a championship contender to leave itself with only three proven and reliable defencemen. You need at minimum five and preferably six that can be counted on.

I can’t comprehend why anyone would be advocating for wasting assets to replace such a dependable player as D’Amato with a “tough guy” on defence. There lots of 19 year old goons who could raise hell on the 3rd or 4th line available for a middling draft pick.
It would be a hard time saying bye to d’amato for sure but what the gms are probably thinking is the best fit and what they need- not necessarily the best player or best point producing defenceman.

Hard to judge how an import d man will be in just scrimmages- I’m sure if they picked Svozil it was for a reason and they knew what they were getting before he stepped foot on the tribute communities centre ice.

Me personally I would just keep oster(obviously), d’amato and roobroeck if back. Luckily for me I don’t make those real tough decisions.

Not trying to stir the pot here but like anything- there’s pros and cons to anything. Roger Hunt will have to explore those pros and cons.

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
Also losing 2 guys like Punnett and roobroeck they need some body guards on the team and smith would be a need at that point.

You sound as if it’s a forgone conclusion that Roobroeck will not be returning to Oshawa this year.

Not sure why you’d be getting that idea - - maybe from some of the misguided and misinformed comments of others?

It’s important to note that Roobroeck signed an ATO contract last year. There’s a huge difference between that and an ELC.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
You sound as if it’s a forgone conclusion that Roobroeck will not be returning to Oshawa this year.
I’m not saying it isn’t possible. However the reality is he had a BIG breakout year last year, is 6’7- over 200 lbs, got quicker on his feet last year, had a long playoff run with Oshawa and upped his production there too.

If he was a 5’9 player I’d say he is back for sure. He is 6’7. He has the size for the AHL and in the time I saw- his speed improved a ton as well. That’s usually the thing holding bigger players back.
Not sure why you’d be getting that idea - - maybe from some of the misguided and misinformed comments of others?
My own personal belief. If I’m wrong that’s fine I’m man enough to admit to my own mistakes but I just don’t see it right now. I’ve been wrong before and I’ll be wrong again. I’ve also been right lots and I’ll be right again. Flip a coin.

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
Hard to judge how an import d man will be in just scrimmages- I’m sure if they picked Svozil it was for a reason and they knew what they were getting before he stepped foot on the tribute communities centre ice.

Me personally I would just keep oster(obviously), d’amato and roobroeck if back. Luckily for me I don’t make those real tough decisions.

You mean the same sound reasoning and logic they used to draft Kimo Gruber and Nik Parfenyuk and Dave Mudrak?

I can only trust what I see with my own eyes - - and from what I’ve seen so far, Svozil was not the least bit impressive. As a Generals fan, I wish Svozil had been skating circles around everyone and controlling the game at will. He threw a nice open ice hit that laid out some kid, but that was overshadowed by at least two or three turnovers along with several other near giveaways.

But agree 100% with your assessment to keep Oster, Roobroeck and D’Amato as OAs this year.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
You mean the same sound reasoning and logic they used to draft Kimo Gruber and Nik Parfenyuk and Dave Mudrak?

I can only trust what I see with my own eyes - - and from what I’ve seen so far, Svozil was not the least bit impressive. As a Generals fan, I wish Svozil had been skating circles around everyone and controlling the game at will. He threw a nice open ice hit that laid out some kid, but that was overshadowed by at least two or three turnovers along with several other near giveaways.

But agree 100% with your assessment to keep Oster, Roobroeck and D’Amato as OAs this year.
Always tough to judge training camp and pre season. From my experience watching it- every single year there is players that start off rocky even the top players and nhl drafted ones.

Even when they go to nhl camps and come back some start off a little slow. Too early to judge svozil.

Now in December if he isn’t playing any better then that’s when to hit the panic button but it’s way too early right now.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
the chances of a signed 20 year old coming back to the chl are very low. planning on him being back is very very tedious. nothing wrong with waiting for the time being, but assuming he will be back and not planning for a second plan is somewhat irresponsible. you can wait, nothing wrong with that, but the significant odds are that he will not be back, otherwise they wouldnt have signed him and burned a year of his contract and 80k salary or whatever he makes in the minors.

at 20 they get paid regardless, most teams dont want ot pay someone to be outside of the organization, thats why they dont sign unless they know they are sticking in the pros

HUSH10

Sep 16, 2019
the chances of a signed 20 year old coming back to the chl are very low. planning on him being back is very very tedious. nothing wrong with waiting for the time being, but assuming he will be back and not planning for a second plan is somewhat irresponsible. you can wait, nothing wrong with that, but the significant odds are that he will not be back, otherwise they wouldnt have signed him and burned a year of his contract and 80k salary or whatever he makes in the minors.

at 20 they get paid regardless, most teams dont want ot pay someone to be outside of the organization, thats why they dont sign unless they know they are sticking in the pros
Careful now. This is not sound, logic thinking some say you must adhere too.

Donnie740

May 28, 2021

As I explained previously, the Rangers signed Roobroeck to an ATO. and he played ONE (1) playoff game in the AHL.

They still hold his rights until June 2025 and he hasn’t “burned a year of his contract” because he didn’t sign a contract.

I’m surprised you don’t understand the difference between an ATO and an ELC. Maybe you could ask your “insider” to spoon feed you an explanation of them.

Reactions: OHL4Life

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014
As I explained previously, the Rangers signed Roobroeck to an ATO. and he played ONE (1) playoff game in the AHL.

They still hold his rights until June 2025 and he hasn’t “burned a year of his contract” because he didn’t sign a contract.

I’m surprised you don’t understand the difference between an ATO and an ELC. Maybe you could ask your “insider” to spoon feed you an explanation of them.
Roobroeck signed both. He signed an NHL ELC in May starting in 25-26 but also an AHL ATO with Hartford.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017

this is priceless.

i was wrong, he only makes 75k as a signing bonus, not a bad guess thou

ScoutLife4

Nov 28, 2023
He’s also not eligible for contract slide so they would pay him 75K even if in the OHL which I doubt happens now.

I don’t think he has a clue how an ELC works but wants to take shots at everyone that does 😂

Reactions: Stellar29

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad