Oshawa Generals 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part 1)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
It was in response to your laughable attempt at pumping your own tires in Post #311 - - which, incidentally, had little to nothing to do with Colby Barlow.

Let’s be honest - - your “predictions” are nothing more than information you’ve been spoon fed by others. I’m not the least bit impressed by that. Some people might be, but I value critical thought and solid analysis much more than someone parroting what they’ve been told.

In actuality, I’m amused at your delusion of grandeur.
100 percent it is given to me by others, which is why it’s always accurate.

Well, that settles that.

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
100 percent it is given to me by others, which is why it’s always accurate.

Well, that settles that.
Keep doing what you are doing.

😂😂

I have little to no respect for people who regurgitate information they’ve been spoon fed and then pretend to be “insiders”. Critical thinking and formulating your own analysis would be much more impressive.

Take a look at my past and you’ll see where I pointed out there was ZERO possibility of Brampton/Mississauga trading Ivankovic this year. And during the Sudbury series last year, I put out the idea of Leenders being traded in the off season.

Or how I explained there was no way in hell Colin Fitzgerald wouldn’t sign with his hometown Petes so he could go play in the States with a bunch of CHL washouts.

And my favourite - - when I called out how asinine the initial draft ranking from “insider” Craig Buttons had Beckett Sennecke at the bottom of the 1st round and Luca Marrelli going a dozen picks ahead of Ben Danford in the 2nd round.
#1. in·sid·er. : a person who is in a position of power or has access to confidential information.
OHL4Life clearly has some connections, and is nice enough to share that information here.
He would be the DEFINITION OF AN INSIDER.

#2. You try and call him out for basically saying his information is always correct. (Which it is)
and then you come on here and try and pump yourself up for some player rankings and telling people a player would sign. I'm sure you have been wrong more than he has, you just only come on here with the correct predictions.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Last edited:

ScoutLife4

Nov 28, 2023
Keep doing what you are doing.

😂😂

#1. in·sid·er. : a person who is in a position of power or has access to confidential information.
OHL4Life clearly has some connections, and is nice enough to share that information here.
He would be the DEFINITION OF AN INSIDER.

#2. You try and call himself out for basically saying his information is always correct. (Which it is)
and then you come on here and try and pump yourself up for some player rankings and telling people a player would sign. I'm sure you have been wrong more than he has, you just only come on here with the correct predictions.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
Bang on.
As the person that brought up the Barlow situation in the first place, Broke the Guindon trade, Gardiner trade and a couple other recent trades and got attacked for it here i'm not sharing a damn thing here anymore.
People like that have ruined it for everyone.
they can go back to speculating on everything without any facts.

Last edited:
Reactions: Section5Petes

lavidaloca89

Jun 27, 2024
Whats the realistic cost of a Barlow trade? I am assuming it starts with Owen Griffin and / or Bedkowski.

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014
I think the funniest part of this is saying that his favourite take is disagreeing with Craig Button's draft rankings. IT'S CRAIG BUTTON.

He has to be the worst draft analyst on TV and everyone knows his rankings are awful and probably just to generate clicks and discussion. Eiserman at 5? Levshunov at 8? He had guys ranked in the first 3 rounds that didn't go until the 7th and at least two (Lukas Matecha and Frankie Marrelli) that didn't get drafted at all.

Agreeing with a Button take that ends up being accurate would be something to be proud about - disagreeing with him should be the expectation.

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
I don’t understand the obsession with being the first to “break” the news of a trade. Is it to stoke the ego of the person who makes the “breaking” report?

Because it certainly doesn’t take any talent or ability to simply regurgitate what’s been spoon fed to you by someone privy to the confidential information.

Speaking of which, I can’t fathom why anyone would risk their job to spoon feed such information to some gimp so he or she could “break” the news. Look at what happened to Joke Marek for his stupidity’s

It’s irrelevant to me if someone “breaks” the news a few hours before it’s confirmed by the teams because sooner or later it’s going to be widespread common knowledge.

It reminds me of a bunch of old women gossiping with each other and always trying to be the first one with a juicy piece of gossip.

• Haha
Reactions: MJ5

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
Whats the realistic cost of a Barlow trade? I am assuming it starts with Owen Griffin and / or Bedkowski.

Trading one of them along with picks would be ok but dealing BOTH Bedkowski and Griffin along with a plethora of high picks would be a massive overpay for Barlow.

Let’s think it through logically - - if Barlow wants out, what leverage does Owen Sound really have in a trade?

Especially if he doesn’t report. Because you know Winnipeg won’t want him sitting at home on his couch, so they’ll put the pressure on Owen Sound to move him.

Kristina Hazzard

Oct 5, 2021
Trading one of them along with picks would be ok but dealing BOTH Bedkowski and Griffin along with a plethora of high picks would be a massive overpay for Barlow.

Let’s think it through logically - - if Barlow wants out, what leverage does Owen Sound really have in a trade?

Especially if he doesn’t report. Because you know Winnipeg won’t want him sitting at home on his couch, so they’ll put the pressure on Owen Sound to move him.
overpay he’s a 40 goal scorer

let him sit at home t home

lavidaloca89

Jun 27, 2024
Id hazard a guess its going to be centered on Bedkowski as that would further explain yesterday’s trade to obtain another big RHD.

I am hoping they keep Griffin but personally I could see them both being included.

I’d be fine with something around Bedkowski and Delisle.

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
As much as I like Barlow’s game, giving up a top four defenceman who’s big and mobile and still only 17yrs old PLUS a middle six forward AND multiple top picks is way too much.

I was one of Griffin’s harshest critics last year as he struggled badly for about three quarters of the season. But in the last six weeks of the season and in the playoffs, he really started to find his game.

Delisle was Oshawa’s best rookie last year by far. I love how scrappy and tenacious he plays. Just turning 18 this season, he’s the perfect 3rd line guy on a championship level team.

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
It reminds me of a bunch of old women gossiping with each other and always trying to be the first one with a juicy piece of gossip.

This is exactly what it is, and 99% of the people here want it. :laugh::laugh: I found the 1% that doesn't.

A couple of weeks ago the league had off season meetings, there were rumors of a handful of trades going down that week, with no one to announce them.

This message board had like 80% of them already figured out, player wise who was going where. We just needed the details of all the draft picks.

The guys breaking draft picks (on twitter), 60 seconds before they air on TV are slime balls.

It's a message board, its for gossip.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
As much as I like Barlow’s game, giving up a top four defenceman who’s big and mobile and still only 17yrs old PLUS a middle six forward AND multiple top picks is way too much.

I was one of Griffin’s harshest critics last year as he struggled badly for about three quarters of the season. But in the last six weeks of the season and in the playoffs, he really started to find his game.

Delisle was Oshawa’s best rookie last year by far. I love how scrappy and tenacious he plays. Just turning 18 this season, he’s the perfect 3rd line guy on a championship level team.

You should know how the trades work in this league by now. We can both disagree on what the real value should be but the reality is the market is pretty much set on these deals. if you want an elite 19 year old, you are likely moving gut wrenching young players that will blow up in your face later. It is part of the deal.

So, with that in mind, the question then becomes whether a team like Oshawa wants to participate in that game or not. Some GM’s choose to not participate. They take the same stance as you and decide it quite simply isn’t worth it to trade your First Round picks for an elite rental. Unfortunately, if that is the stance a GM takes, they have to do a great job at building internally and/or taking advantage when selling a player.

If you look at Brampton right now, they took part in the process at both ends. They sold DelMaestro and DBB for MacDonell and Martone. They built up a war chest of draft picks and then moved a bunch for Rehkopf. No one can honestly say that Rehkopf is worth 10 high draft picks. IF those picks were used to draft players instead of trade capital, you have to assume you would land on another player of his calibre with one of those picks, not to mention the potential for all those other picks to turn into players.

So, really this comes down more to philosophy. The discussion you seem to want to have is more centred on philosophy of trades as opposed to the actual fair market value of these types of trades in the OHL.

For what it is worth, I agree with you. Some of these deals have gotten completely out of hand but the market value is the market value. IF you want to play the game you gotta buy the ticket. It is what it is. But, IMO, if you are going to play the game, it needs to first start with taking advantage of a selloff like Brampton did. Build the war chest and add a couple key young players. Then do the big buy and put your chips in. Hope for the best.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
You should know how the trades work in this league by now. We can both disagree on what the real value should be but the reality is the market is pretty much set on these deals. if you want an elite 19 year old, you are likely moving gut wrenching young players that will blow up in your face later. It is part of the deal.

So, with that in mind, the question then becomes whether a team like Oshawa wants to participate in that game or not. Some GM’s choose to not participate. They take the same stance as you and decide it quite simply isn’t worth it to trade your First Round picks for an elite rental. Unfortunately, if that is the stance a GM takes, they have to do a great job at building internally and/or taking advantage when selling a player.

If you look at Brampton right now, they took part in the process at both ends. They sold DelMaestro and DBB for MacDonell and Martone. They built up a war chest of draft picks and then moved a bunch for Rehkopf. No one can honestly say that Rehkopf is worth 10 high draft picks. IF those picks were used to draft players instead of trade capital, you have to assume you would land on another player of his calibre with one of those picks, not to mention the potential for all those other picks to turn into players.

So, really this comes down more to philosophy. The discussion you seem to want to have is more centred on philosophy of trades as opposed to the actual fair market value of these types of trades in the OHL.

For what it is worth, I agree with you. Some of these deals have gotten completely out of hand but the market value is the market value. IF you want to play the game you gotta buy the ticket. It is what it is. But, IMO, if you are going to play the game, it needs to first start with taking advantage of a selloff like Brampton did. Build the war chest and add a couple key young players. Then do the big buy and put your chips in. Hope for the best.

What Richmond did was more like accepting the tragic reality than it was strategic planning.. It’s a bit rare to have players such as DelMastro, DelBelBelluz, O.Beck, Hardie; yet not really able to contend with the top four in conference.

Donnie740

May 28, 2021

Excellent comments and discussion. This is far more thought provoking and engaging than breaking news and proclaiming that “player X is being traded for a 9th round pick”.

The difference between Brampton going all in for Rehkopf and Oshawa going all in for a guy like Barlow is that Brampton had already stocked up their war chest with draft picks - - in addition to completely stealing Porter Martone - - and then added even more to it by trading Leenders.

Oshawa doesn’t have anything close to that kind of draft capital. Which is why I would advocate for smaller additions like how they acquired Sandhu last year.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Excellent comments and discussion. This is far more thought provoking and engaging than breaking news and proclaiming that “player X is being traded for a 9th round pick”.

The difference between Brampton going all in for Rehkopf and Oshawa going all in for a guy like Barlow is that Brampton had already stocked up their war chest with draft picks - - in addition to completely stealing Porter Martone - - and then added even more to it by trading Leenders.

Oshawa doesn’t have anything close to that kind of draft capital. Which is why I would advocate for smaller additions like how they acquired Sandhu last year.

It all goes back to whether small additions are enough AND whether the goal is to win a Championship. The second part is the biggest key of all. Not every contending team is trying to win a Championship. You can’t tell me that Kingston is making moves in an effort to win a Championship. As has been suggested by others, they are an older team with graduating players and likely too good to sell and not good enough to stay status quo so if they can make a few moves and make it into the 2nd round, it would be considered a win. If they go further then it would be considered a bonus.

It “looks” like Brampton is making a run for it but at the same time, they essentially traded Leenders for Rehkopf so does that mean they are all in or did they simply shuffle one position of excess for a position of need? They may simply add a 3rd OA and call it a day for all we know.

That lands us on Oshawa. Is Oshawa’s goal to win a championship? If so, what are their current gaps? 2nd line centre and a D-Man is needed as well as maybe a decent winger (assuming Roobroeck returns). To me, that is all they need and they potentially have as many as two OA spots that can be upgraded on. Will they do all that with OA upgrades or will they go bigger? We don’t really know whether they are simply trying to enter the bidding in an effort for raising the price of Barlow. Who knows?

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
It all goes back to whether small additions are enough AND whether the goal is to win a Championship. The second part is the biggest key of all. Not every contending team is trying to win a Championship. You can’t tell me that Kingston is making moves in an effort to win a Championship. As has been suggested by others, they are an older team with graduating players and likely too good to sell and not good enough to stay status quo so if they can make a few moves and make it into the 2nd round, it would be considered a win. If they go further then it would be considered a bonus.

It “looks” like Brampton is making a run for it but at the same time, they essentially traded Leenders for Rehkopf so does that mean they are all in or did they simply shuffle one position of excess for a position of need? They may simply add a 3rd OA and call it a day for all we know.

That lands us on Oshawa. Is Oshawa’s goal to win a championship? If so, what are their current gaps? 2nd line centre and a D-Man is needed as well as maybe a decent winger (assuming Roobroeck returns). To me, that is all they need and they potentially have as many as two OA spots that can be upgraded on. Will they do all that with OA upgrades or will they go bigger? We don’t really know whether they are simply trying to enter the bidding in an effort for raising the price of Barlow. Who knows?

Barrie, Brampton (will), Brantford, Kingston (will), Oshawa should all probably upgrade their OAs.

Last edited:
Reactions: frontsfan67

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Could potentially see Kingston having interest if wakely doesn’t come back to the O’ this year and ludwinski stays in Rockford.

I’d put money on him (allard) going to Brampton though. Just makes more sense for brampton. L Misa, Karmiris, MacDonnell, Van Volson, Patton are their centres. Could see van volson and karmiris going to the wing for sure, same with macdonnell. Or JVV centres third line

Allard would be a great 2C for them and is reliable defensively- they could use him to shut down the other teams top lines and then Rehkopf, Misa and Martone can be their scoring line.

Also Brampton has that OA spot available right now but like Kingston and Oshawa would likely be waiting on wakely.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Could potentially see Kingston having interest if wakely doesn’t come back to the O’ this year and ludwinski stays in Rockford.

I’d put money on him (allard) going to Brampton though. Just makes more sense for brampton. L Misa, Karmiris, MacDonnell, Van Volson, Patton are their centres. Could see van volson and karmiris going to the wing for sure, same with macdonnell. Or JVV centres third line

Allard would be a great 2C for them and is reliable defensively- they could use him to shut down the other teams top lines and then Rehkopf, Misa and Martone can be their scoring line.

Also Brampton has that OA spot available right now but like Kingston and Oshawa would likely be waiting on wakely.
With the roster Brampton has currently; I think we will see Misa-McDonnell-Martone, and Karmiris centre Rehkopf.

Kristina Hazzard

Oct 5, 2021

Why on earth would Paul come back?

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Why on earth would Paul come back?
Fairly slim chance obviously but apparently kingston management hasn’t ruled it out.

Went there for 5 games at the end of last season didn’t get a point then his team played 3 playoff games and he didn’t dress for any of them.

Unlikely but not impossible.

Reactions: dirty12

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
With the roster Brampton has currently; I think we will see Misa-McDonnell-Martone, and Karmiris centre Rehkopf.
second line could be improved upon for sure if that’s the case. I think Rehkopf, Misa, Martone would be a better first line and would be one of the best in not only the ohl but the whole chl.

Allard on the second line would still provide scoring but would also have a more defensive role which would be huge come playoff time. Not familiar enough to make the lines but I’m sure 1 or even both of Karmiris/macDonnell would be on that line

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad