GDT: Super Late Last Minute Prospect Showdown GDT

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Quaz

Mar 15, 2006
St Louis
Bolduc looked great last night. Such a smooth skater. I think we will see him take his confident play into camp next week. If Dean starts in the AHL I think we will see him elevate his game compared to last year.

Reactions: Michael64

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
Impressions while at the game:

Bolduc was incredible and it was refreshing to see. His positioning, engagement, and play driving were far and away better than anyone on the ice not named Nazar. I wished Kaskimaki wasn’t stapled to his line because he probably would have had a more offensive night paired with Stancl or Mrsic, but I understand wanting to keep the players with pro-experience together.

Speaking of Kaskimaki, my concerns for him were justified this game. I have always had reservations about the style of game he wants to play because I don’t think he has the skill or intelligence to pull it off. Yesterday, he had numerous passes into coverage or to linemates that weren’t in prime passing lanes. He would try to forgo the simple play for rewards that were far too risky and would be burned routinely. I wasn’t impressed with much of anything he was doing. Even his defensive reads were either pedestrian or lazy. Never pushing his name into the scrums at his own end and differing way too much. Can’t say he was the worst but can’t say much else.

Peterson is a player that must have looked better on tv than in person because I can’t believe how many here thought he played well. I was aggravated every time he grabbed the puck because it felt like I was watching a video on repeat from the stands. He would grab the puck, charge up ice in a completely straight line, and immediately end up on his ass after being laid out by a reverse hit by someone a full head shorter than him. He had one good drive simply because the opposing defender lost his footing, not because he out-worked or out-maneuvered him. I have always had a very low opinion of Peterson and watching him in game only better confirms my opinion. He’s got speed and a big body. But can’t think the game at any meaningful level. He lacks balance or a solid core, or those are the only two reasons I can think of why he can’t seem to hit anyone. He excels in a style of hockey that always requires someone else with a brain to facilitate his play. He’s the Kreider in need of a Zuccarello. Difference being that Kreider has higher end skill and has some flexibility in his game. Peterson will need to learn how to play with more variety or start hitting like Reaves if he wants to play in the NHL.

Switching gears, I liked what I saw from Dvorsky. His skating issues have always been overblown and today shows why. He lacks explosiveness, so his first three steps are never impressive. But damn near everything else is. His shot was the best there. His positioning was always good. His creativity was apparent but effective with how he moved the puck in the offensive zone and in transition. I would say he played a more quiet but effective game. Though, it did make it clear to me that he isn’t ready for the NHL. The stark difference between him and Bolduc illustrates the type of all around engagement that Dvorsky will need to learn. He still has passive tendencies I worry about. But nothing in his physical makeup or repertoire give me concern. I’m leaving it at that.

Stancl is someone worth mentioning. His skating has made remarkable improvements as he seems so much stronger on his skates now. It’s not the most fluid style, but he has that same power in skaters like Stone. I no longer have a concern how effective it will be at higher levels. That concern comes from his play with the puck. Stancl seems to excel at positioning as he always finds himself in passing and rushing lanes against his opponents. He has such a sturdy body that players would bounce off of him and he would routinely find the puck to start a rush the opposite way. He was the real talent on the Stancl-Peterson-Jecho line. But, once Stancl grabs hold of the puck, he seems lost. His shot isn’t impressive and he doesn’t have much speed, but more than that, he can’t seem to read where any prime scoring chances would be. It doesn’t help when Jecho or Peterson are your linemates, but when on the power play, he would spend too much time looking around. He is fairly easy to neutralize in the offensive zone unless he can make quicker decisions. Still, his defensive reads are top notch. I still think Kos is better as a defensive player, but Stancl isn’t a slouch. It will be fun to see where he goes and if he can develop an offensive game to match his defensive chops.

On Defense, Gaudet looked like a train wreck. His blocky skating put him behind play all of the time. His pairing with Fischer almost single handily lost the game. And between him and Fischer, Fischer looked like the more complete product. Fischer is raw, but there were plays he can make that were effortless and effective to push play. I liked Fischer’s puck handling. It was smooth and controlled. He moves well in all three zones. He needs to learn when and when not to interject himself into the play as he always seemed uncomfortable in that regard. But Gaudet, the older of the two, seemed worse than Fischer in almost everything. So much so that I wonder if Gaudet was just off. Maybe he is this bad, but I remember him being better in previous years. Can’t give you much of a strong opinion on him from last game besides him looking bad.

Buchinger was the best defenseman on the Blues and Burns was providing him plenty of space to work. Both excelled in their strengths and that’s all that needs to be said. Burns provided that platform for his partner by playing an all-around game that never pushed play as much as gave room for his partner to work. Buchinger made use of his puck skills and mobility with the room he was given. I like Buchinger enough but I don’t know how far he will go. He doesn’t have the ability to escape coverage that Dunn has and he’s the best frame of reference for what Buchinger could be for Blues fans. Burns at least plays such a sturdy all around game that I can see him make the NHL as a complimentary player. This season in the AHL will be very telling for Buchinger.

I’ll finish off by giving credit to McIsaac. He is a player I liked in Prospect camp for his mobility, puck movement, and positioning, as all were on the higher end in camp. His reads were the only concern as he took too long to make any decision with or without the puck. Yesterday, he showed more confidence in making decisions and moving the puck in tight. His plays may not have been the most effective, but I could understand the rationale behind them. I have made sure to put a note on McIsaac for the future. If he can speed up his decision making, the Blues might have found something.

If there are other questions, please ask as I only highlighted a few here as they were the players I noticed the most.

Last edited:

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box

Bolduc was incredible and it was refreshing to see. His positioning, engagement, and play driving were far and away better than anyone on the ice not named Nazar. I wished Kaskimaki wasn’t stapled to his line because he probably would have had a more offensive night paired with Stancl or Mrsic, but I understand wanting to keep the players with pro-experience together.

Speaking of Kaskimaki, my concerns for him were justified this game. I have always had reservations about the style of game he wants to play because I don’t think he has the skill or intelligence to pull it off. Yesterday, he had numerous passes into coverage or to linemates that weren’t in prime passing lanes. He would try to forgo the simple play for rewards that were far too risky and would be burned routinely. I wasn’t impressed with much of anything he was doing. Even his defensive reads were either pedestrian or lazy. Never pushing his name into the scrums at his own end and differing way too much. Can’t say he was the worst but can’t say much else.

Peterson is a player that must have looked better on tv than in person because I can’t believe how many here thought he played well. I was aggravated every time he grabbed the puck because it was matching a video on repeat from the stands. He would grab the puck, charge up ice in a completely straight line, and immediately end up on his ass after being played out by a reverse hit by someone a full head shorter than him. He had one good drive simply because the opposing defender lost his footing, not because he out worked or out maneuvered him. I have always had a very low opinion of Peterson and watching him in game only better confirms my opinion. He’s got speed and a big body. But can’t think the game at any meaningful level. He lacks balance or a solid core, or those are the only two reasons I can think of why he can’t seem to hit anyone. He excels in a style of hockey that always requires someone else with a brain to facilitate his play. He’s the Kreider in need of a Zuccarello. Difference being that Kreider has higher end skill and has some flexibility in his game. Peterson will need to learn how to play with more variety or start hitting like Reaves if he wants to play in the NHL.

Switching gears, I liked what I saw from Dvorsky. His skating issues have always been overblown and today shows why. He lacks explosiveness, so his first three steps are never impressive. But damn near everything else is. His shot was the best there. His positioning was always good. His creativity was apparent but effective with how he moved the puck in the offensive zone and in transition. I would say he played a more quiet but effective game. Though, it did make it clear to me that he isn’t ready for the NHL. The stark difference between him and Bolduc illustrates the type of all around engagement that Dvorsky will need to learn. He still has passive tendencies I worry about. But nothing in his physical makeup or repertoire give me concern. I’m leaving it at that.

Stancl is someone worth mentioning. His skating has made remarkable improvements as he seems so much stronger on his skates now. It’s not the most fluid style, but he has that same power in skaters like Stone that I no longer have a concern how effective it will be at higher levels. That concern comes from his play with the puck. Stancl seems to excel at positioning as he always finds himself in passing and rushing lanes against his opponents. He has such a sturdy body that players would bounce off of him and he find the puck to start a rush the opposite way. He was the real talent on the Stancl-Peterson-Jecho line. But, once Stancl grabs hold of the puck, he seems lost. His shot isn’t impressive and he doesn’t have much speed, but more than that, he can’t seem to read where any prime scoring chances would be. It doesn’t help when Jecho or Peterson are your linemates, but when on the power play, he would spend too much time looking around. He is fairly easy to neutralize in the offensive zone unless he can make quicker decisions. Still, his defensive reads are top notch. I still think Kos is better as a defensive player, but Stancl isn’t a slouch. It will be fun to see where he goes and if he can develop an offensive game to match his defensive chops.

On Defense, Gaudet looked like a train wreck. His blocky skating put him behind play all of the time. His pairing with Fischer almost single handily lost the game. And between him and Fischer, Fischer looked like the more complete product. Fischer is raw, but there were plays he can make that were effortless and effective to push play. I liked Fischer’s puck handling. It was smooth and controlled. He moves well in all three zones. He needs to learn when and when not to interject himself into the play as he always seemed uncomfortable in that regard. But Gaudet, the older of the two, seemed worse than Fischer in almost everything. So much so that I wonder if Gaudet was just off. Maybe he is this bad, but I remember him being better in previous years. Can’t give you much of a strong opinion on him from last game besides him looking bad.

Buchinger was the best defenseman on the Blues and Burns was providing him plenty of space to work. Both excelled in their strengths and that’s all that needs to be said. Burns provided that platform for his partner by playing an all-around game that never pushed play as much as gave room for his partner to work. Buchinger made use of his puck skills and mobility with the room he was given. I like Buchinger enough but I don’t know how far he will go. He doesn’t have the ability to escape coverage that Dunn has and he’s the best frame of reference for what Buchinger could be for Blues fans. Burns at least plays such a sturdy all around game that I can see him make the NHL as a complimentary player. This season in the AHL will be very telling for Buchinger.

I’ll finish off by giving credit to McIsaac. He is a player I liked in Prospect camp for his mobility, puck movement, and positioning were all on the higher end in camp. His reads were the only concern as he took too long to make any decision with or without the puck. Yesterday, he showed more confidence in making decisions and moving the puck in tight. His plays may not have been the most effective, but I could understand the rationale behind them. I have made sure to put a note on McIsaac for the future. If he can speed up his decision making, the Blues might have found something.

If there are other questions, please ask as I only highlighted a few here as they were the players I noticed the most.
How did Robertsson look apart from the goal?

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
How did Robertsson look apart from the goal?
Unremarkable. He wasn’t doing anything wrong like Kaskimaki, but he was behind many plays. He was relying on his professional build to absorb hits and separate himself from coverage. None of his skills showed themselves well I’d say. Again, though, he wasn’t bad, just unremarkable besides the goal, which admittedly, was a hard working goal.

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX

Peterson is a player that must have looked better on tv than in person because I can’t believe how many here thought he played well. I was aggravated every time he grabbed the puck because it was matching a video on repeat from the stands. He would grab the puck, charge up ice in a completely straight line, and immediately end up on his ass after being played out by a reverse hit by someone a full head shorter than him. He had one good drive simply because the opposing defender lost his footing, not because he out worked or out maneuvered him. I have always had a very low opinion of Peterson and watching him in game only better confirms my opinion. He’s got speed and a big body. But can’t think the game at any meaningful level. He lacks balance or a solid core, or those are the only two reasons I can think of why he can’t seem to hit anyone. He excels in a style of hockey that always requires someone else with a brain to facilitate his play. He’s the Kreider in need of a Zuccarello. Difference being that Kreider has higher end skill and has some flexibility in his game. Peterson will need to learn how to play with more variety or start hitting like Reaves if he wants to play in the NHL.

Stancl is someone worth mentioning. His skating has made remarkable improvements as he seems so much stronger on his skates now. It’s not the most fluid style, but he has that same power in skaters like Stone that I no longer have a concern how effective it will be at higher levels. That concern comes from his play with the puck. Stancl seems to excel at positioning as he always finds himself in passing and rushing lanes against his opponents. He has such a sturdy body that players would bounce off of him and he find the puck to start a rush the opposite way. He was the real talent on the Stancl-Peterson-Jecho line. But, once Stancl grabs hold of the puck, he seems lost. His shot isn’t impressive and he doesn’t have much speed, but more than that, he can’t seem to read where any prime scoring chances would be. It doesn’t help when Jecho or Peterson are your linemates, but when on the power play, he would spend too much time looking around. He is fairly easy to neutralize in the offensive zone unless he can make quicker decisions. Still, his defensive reads are top notch. I still think Kos is better as a defensive player, but Stancl isn’t a slouch. It will be fun to see where he goes and if he can develop an offensive game to match his defensive chops.

I’ll finish off by giving credit to McIsaac. He is a player I liked in Prospect camp for his mobility, puck movement, and positioning were all on the higher end in camp. His reads were the only concern as he took too long to make any decision with or without the puck. Yesterday, he showed more confidence in making decisions and moving the puck in tight. His plays may not have been the most effective, but I could understand the rationale behind them. I have made sure to put a note on McIsaac for the future. If he can speed up his decision making, the Blues might have found something.

Thanks for great writeup. I didn’t see the game, but all of this makes a lot of sense from what we thought we knew going into camp.

I would add to what you said on Dvo. The last year convinced me that he is further than i had thought from being impactful nhl player, but did nothing to cool my excitement on his eventual upside. A prolonged stretch in AHL to start this year should serve him quite well.

And on Gaudet, I was quite impressed with him 2 years ago and had high hopes, but he has gone straight backwards since. He had poor camp last year and then wasn’t up to AHL level. I t have zero expectations at this point that he can be nhl d.

Reactions: Celtic Note

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Bolduc's transformation over the last 12 months has been so impressive to me. He's gone from being a tentative passenger to attacking every chance he gets.

If he continues this trajectory, he's going to earn a spot in the top 6.
I don’t think he was a tentative passenger in his junior playoff run. I think it just took him a while to acclimate to the pros. I also think in juniors he could get away with not bringing a more dogged game.

He has clearly engaged more than in the past and he has done a nice job rounding out his game. I thought people were generally more down on him as a prospect in the past than was warranted.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012

Peterson is a player that must have looked better on tv than in person because I can’t believe how many here thought he played well. I was aggravated every time he grabbed the puck because it felt like I was watching a video on repeat from the stands. He would grab the puck, charge up ice in a completely straight line, and immediately end up on his ass after being laid out by a reverse hit by someone a full head shorter than him. He had one good drive simply because the opposing defender lost his footing, not because he out-worked or out-maneuvered him. I have always had a very low opinion of Peterson and watching him in game only better confirms my opinion. He’s got speed and a big body. But can’t think the game at any meaningful level. He lacks balance or a solid core, or those are the only two reasons I can think of why he can’t seem to hit anyone. He excels in a style of hockey that always requires someone else with a brain to facilitate his play. He’s the Kreider in need of a Zuccarello. Difference being that Kreider has higher end skill and has some flexibility in his game. Peterson will need to learn how to play with more variety or start hitting like Reaves if he wants to play in the NHL.

Stancl is someone worth mentioning. His skating has made remarkable improvements as he seems so much stronger on his skates now. It’s not the most fluid style, but he has that same power in skaters like Stone. I no longer have a concern how effective it will be at higher levels. That concern comes from his play with the puck. Stancl seems to excel at positioning as he always finds himself in passing and rushing lanes against his opponents. He has such a sturdy body that players would bounce off of him and he would routinely find the puck to start a rush the opposite way. He was the real talent on the Stancl-Peterson-Jecho line. But, once Stancl grabs hold of the puck, he seems lost. His shot isn’t impressive and he doesn’t have much speed, but more than that, he can’t seem to read where any prime scoring chances would be. It doesn’t help when Jecho or Peterson are your linemates, but when on the power play, he would spend too much time looking around. He is fairly easy to neutralize in the offensive zone unless he can make quicker decisions. Still, his defensive reads are top notch. I still think Kos is better as a defensive player, but Stancl isn’t a slouch. It will be fun to see where he goes and if he can develop an offensive game to match his defensive chops.

I’ll finish off by giving credit to McIsaac. He is a player I liked in Prospect camp for his mobility, puck movement, and positioning, as all were on the higher end in camp. His reads were the only concern as he took too long to make any decision with or without the puck. Yesterday, he showed more confidence in making decisions and moving the puck in tight. His plays may not have been the most effective, but I could understand the rationale behind them. I have made sure to put a note on McIsaac for the future. If he can speed up his decision making, the Blues might have found something.

Couldn’t agree more. I love Dvorskys patience in support through the dot lines/middle ice, very Thomas esque, his stick skills and first touch on pucks are impressive, as I’ve stated in the past his skating concerns are extremely overblown, I thought his skating looked very good last night, his skating issues are more teenage lower body strength related than his actual form.

I really liked bolducs compete level and decision making as well. He looked like he had something to prove.

Dean I thought got better and better as the game went on. Didn’t like him early but he really turned it on as the game went and made some nice plays. Kaskimaki did some good things but his style of play and puck mgmt needs to be geared more towards a 3rd liner type versus a top 6 skill guy.

Hated Gaudet and Peterson as well. Gaudet was so casual defensively and rarely engaged on the walls. Peterson’s lack of processing was in full display and his positioning especially as F3 in the OZ was embarassing, my 13 year olds understand how to use the dot line and play above the puck better.

Mcisaac is a sleeper imo, plays a very safe and simple game, once he gets some man strength I think their could be some real potential for him to be a defensive PK type 3rd pair guy, also honorable mentions to burns and Mayich who I thought had some decent showings defensively and physically. Nice to see Mayich get on the board too with a great high screen from bolduc.

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
Lines vs the Wild
Kaskimaki-Dean-Bolduc
Pekarcik-Dvorsky-Robertsson
Bitten-Dickinson-Peterson
Stancl-Jecho-Gudelj

Burns-Buchinger
Gaudet-Fischer
Mayich-McIsaac
Biakabutuka

Cranley in goal.

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
Sam Bitten Dropping the gloves.
Gets the win with the hip toss take down.
Good on the refs to let them go.

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
The audio finally clicked in.
Just in time for Bill Guerin to tell us that he doesn't have the stomach for a full rebuild.

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
Now Burns drops the gloves.
More of a hugging match but the kids clearly have a chip on their shoulder today.

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
Bad pass by Fischer sets up a Wild player right in the crease.
Cranley's shutout is blown. Wild up by 1.

Bolduc ties it up quickly with a flashy move.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad