Oshawa Generals 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part 1)

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Lol literally best guy to trade away would prob be burns as he won’t be back but he’s not gonna get anywhere near the return of mintyukov.

They’re kinda screwing themselves I find with the billion 05’s- seems like its title or bust.
they did well with Thibodeau

Reactions: frontsfan67

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
they did well with Thibodeau
Absolutely. I think they should try and move 1 more 05 if they can. Miedema should get a good package. Let him play first and get the value up and then trade him when value is highest.

3rd line can still have guys like weir/mcnamara on it so they’ll still be pretty good for depth

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Lol literally best guy to trade away would prob be burns as he won’t be back but he’s not gonna get anywhere near the return of mintyukov.

They’re kinda screwing themselves I find with the billion 05’s- seems like its title or bust.

In fairness, the guy to trade WAS Ludwinski. He was their opportunity to gain a nice tidy ransom. They still could have added Dubois to help soften the blow of Ludwinski but the reality is, that non-trade will hurt their chances this year.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
In fairness, the guy to trade WAS Ludwinski. He was their opportunity to gain a nice tidy ransom. They still could have added Dubois to help soften the blow of Ludwinski but the reality is, that non-trade will hurt their chances this year.
agreed, they should have moved him last year

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Oh I agree. You and I both said it right away what were they doing.

Ludwinski was great but even still he is no mintyukov. He would’ve got a good return though- maybe a medium tier 07.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Oh I agree. You and I both said it right away what were they doing.

Ludwinski was great but even still he is no mintyukov. He would’ve got a good return though- maybe a medium tier 07.
probalby 5/6 picks based on last year? a bit less tehn gavin hayes id bet.

ScoutLife4

Nov 28, 2023
I fully agree that Wakely would improve whatever team he goes to. But as I explained earlier, he’s not going to magically transform an average team into a championship team.

Kingston doesn’t have a hope in hell of winning a championship this year. Their 05’s and 06’s just aren’t good enough. So it makes ZERO sense to waste their assets acquiring Wakely.

If you honestly believe Kingston is built to contend next year in 2025-26, then they should be following the Saginaw blueprint of trading away a top guy like Mintyukov to stock their war chest with picks for making a legitimate run instead of a half assed “run” like last year.

Saginaw pulled in THREE 2nds, FOUR 3rds and TWO 4ths for Mintyukov. That’s why they were able to load up this year and win a championship.

Why doesn’t Kingston do that?
Next year is the year they should / should have aimed to contend is what i'm saying.

You have Burns / Meidima as an OA potentially and Battaglia / Frasca in their 19 year old years.
This a pretty strong Veteran group imo especially if Frasca can get back to the projections he was on before his injury.

Not trading Ludwinski before losing him for nothing is going to turn out to be a huge mistake and likely derail contention in the year they could have assembled a strong team though.
By saying contend i'm not saying they are championship bound. -I was more so meaning they could go on a deep playoff run.

I'm not convinced their Front office is capable of building a championship team with some of the mistakes i have seen.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Next year is the year they should / should have aimed to contend is what i'm saying.

You have Burns / Meidima as an OA potentially and Battaglia / Frasca in their 19 year old years.
This a pretty strong Veteran group imo especially if Frasca can get back to the projections he was on before his injury.

Not trading Ludwinski before losing him for nothing is going to turn out to be a huge mistake and likely derail contention in the year they could have assembled a strong team though.
By saying contend i'm not saying they are championship bound. -I was more so meaning they could go on a deep playoff run.

I'm not convinced their Front office is capable of building a championship team with some of the mistakes i have seen.

Generally speaking, I think the main challenge in building a Championship team is for most teams it requires a 3-4 year commitment to align resources and assets. There are a few teams that have outstanding front offices that are exceptional at drafting and recruiting that lessens the burden of requiring a 3-4 year alignment (London is a good example). I fear this league has fully been consumed by the “all-in” mentality. With the exception of a team like London, most teams need to make those huge commitments if they really want a chance at winning. To me, that is the real discussion. We can identify teams that “have a chance.” The question is whether those teams are willing to throw their nutz on the table and make a push. It is not just about doing it the year that they are strong. It is about doing it the year they are not strong. Clearly last year was the year for Kingston to move Ludwinski (assuming the trade value was strong). That is no different than Ottawa with Pinelli this year. If a team is unwilling to sacrifice something from today for tomorrow then there will never be a tomorrow worth talking about.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Generally speaking, I think the main challenge in building a Championship team is for most teams it requires a 3-4 year commitment to align resources and assets. There are a few teams that have outstanding front offices that are exceptional at drafting and recruiting that lessens the burden of requiring a 3-4 year alignment (London is a good example). I fear this league has fully been consumed by the “all-in” mentality. With the exception of a team like London, most teams need to make those huge commitments if they really want a chance at winning. To me, that is the real discussion. We can identify teams that “have a chance.” The question is whether those teams are willing to throw their nutz on the table and make a push. It is not just about doing it the year that they are strong. It is about doing it the year they are not strong. Clearly last year was the year for Kingston to move Ludwinski (assuming the trade value was strong). That is no different than Ottawa with Pinelli this year. If a team is unwilling to sacrifice something from today for tomorrow then there will never be a tomorrow worth talking about.
it is interesting that the sarnia model (they may not have been the first) has taken over where you need to sell absoluetly everything you can to load up on players. jr a and jr b teams do it all the time, you didnt see it in the ohl until the last few years and seems to be gaining more and more traction.

Reactions: OMG67

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
it is interesting that the sarnia model (they may not have been the first) has taken over where you need to sell absoluetly everything you can to load up on players. jr a and jr b teams do it all the time, you didnt see it in the ohl until the last few years and seems to be gaining more and more traction.

Yes. We’ve seen it more heavily in the other two Major Junior leagues. I think some teams have decided that there is no sense doing it half cocked. The team they go into with the following year isn’t all that much different or at least not different enough that it matters.

It is interesting to see Ottawa now do it half hearted twice and not make it out of the 2nd round. I have to think that the management there is questioning themselves. Why bother moving that many assets only to win one round in the playoffs when if they moved 25-30% more assets, they’d likely have had a far better result.

I really think these teams need to run a few case studies to analyze the effects of the different scenarios/strategies. It would help them understand better the whole process and the opportunity costs associated with those potential strategies.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
for the past 10 years at least, the vast majority of the top 5 contending teams each season have had 10 or more 19-20 year olds.
Kingston has been accumulating '05s to make a run this season

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
for the past 10 years at least, the vast majority of the top 5 contending teams each season have had 10 or more 19-20 year olds.

That is only one part of the equation. I think the point is that even though they did that, it doesn’t’ matter as much when you lack assets compared to your competition that you can throw at the trade market.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Good comparison. Yes would’ve probably been very similar to Hayes

Maybe but Ludwinski is a centre and they tend to be valued higher, especially as 19 year olds. I still feel if he were available, Kingston would have done better than the return for Hayes. I think if they made him available and they wanted an ‘07 born, they’d likely have gotten that. If it were just picks, it would have been more than Hayes. Just my perception though.

ScoutLife4

Nov 28, 2023
They have 9 with 1 likely not coming back (Chromiak)
Call it 8.
Meidema
Mcnamara
Soto
Cavalin
Uens
Mcgowan
Vaccari
Burns

Not overly sure i would want Cavalin dressed either in one of those spots and Vaccari will end up being the back up goalie at some point.
Maybe if they get lucky with Ludwinski as an OA coming back if Chicago doesnt think he's ready but there is still a lot of what ifs before i would consider this team a legit contender.

I think they should strive for next season. If ludwinski does come back some how trade him for a nice package that makes you better in 25-26.

• Love

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Call it 8.
Meidema
Mcnamara
Soto
Cavalin
Uens
Mcgowan
Vaccari
Burns

Not overly sure i would want Cavalin dressed either in one of those spots and Vaccari will end up being the back up goalie at some point.
Maybe if they get lucky with Ludwinski as an OA coming back if Chicago doesnt think he's ready but there is still a lot of what ifs before i would consider this team a legit contender.

I think they should strive for next season. If ludwinski does come back some how trade him for a nice package that makes you better in 25-26.

I think they are in limbo either way. Yes, if Ludwinski comes back then there is a true #1 centre there. That is a key piece IMO. But, the landscape of the Conference this year doesn’t suit them very well. It is very possible that Brampton stays status quo and is happy to perform well with only adding a couple OA’s. They save their assets and maybe look closer at next year. Possible. Also possible that Oshawa never gets out of the starting blocks because their key players all end up graduating. Barrie has a tendency of being conservative. Brantford may not be quite ready this year. A lot needs to go right for Kingston this year. But, this year is a better option for them than next year if you are only looking at it from the perspective of which year will have the better Kingston team. I think this year.

We had a lot of the same discussions last season for the 67’s. Yes, they could have made a different strategic decision last year assuming this year’s team would be better on paper. But, the landscape of the league last year had a lot to do with how they approached the deadline. I think Kingston needs to take the same approach. If all those things happen with Brampton, Oshawa, Barrie and Brantford then maybe the door opens for Kingston.

I agree they are not a “contender” right now. But the landscape has not fully been presented. We need to see a lot play out through November before we have a truer picture. This also holds true for the Generals. It will likely be a bit before the Gennies find out if Ritchie returns. Same with Roobroeck. Two pretty key pieces. That said, the OA market may crater so teams looking for a good OA may be able to acquire early for cheap. It won’t take much for the landscape in the conference to change. All of a sudden teams that were in that 2nd tier are now in the 1st tier.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Call it 8.
Meidema
Mcnamara
Soto
Cavalin
Uens
Mcgowan
Vaccari
Burns

the 10 or more 19-20 yr olds I referred to includes OAs.
I count Kingston as having nine 19 yr olds too; but I do not count Cavalin, instead I count two of Uronen, Pieniniemi, and Chromiak. With the OAs, Kingston should have a dozen 19-20 yr olds including 3-1sts ...gotta go in a year with three 19 yr old 1sts.

I don't see the point of striving for next season. There are 3-'06s, 3-'07s, and two signed '08 one of which will be a rookie goalie.
Maybe sell everything to finish last and have a chance in 2026-27. Or stay the course, and the next window is built around the two '09-1sts coming next draft.

ScoutLife4

Nov 28, 2023
the 10 or more 19-20 yr olds I referred to includes OAs.
I count Kingston as having nine 19 yr olds too; but I do not count Cavalin, instead I count two of Uronen, Pieniniemi, and Chromiak. With the OAs, Kingston should have a dozen 19-20 yr olds including 3-1sts ...gotta go in a year with three 19 yr old 1sts.

I don't see the point of striving for next season. There are 3-'06s, 3-'07s, and two signed '08 one of which will be a rookie goalie.
Maybe sell everything to finish last and have a chance in 2026-27. Or stay the course, and the next window is built around the two '09-1sts coming next draft.
I don't know how they can strive for this season right now with all the unknown.
Example - If Oshawa gets everyone back minus Rasmus who we know is gone Kingston absolutely need to plan for next season because this season will be a wasted effort for them.

Even if they get Ludwinski back why go all in just to lose to Oshawa this season?
Sell him off for next season if he does makes most sense.

I like the makeup of going into next season with Burns and Miedema as OA with some top 19 year olds like Battaglia and Frasca. Who knows maybe Vaccari fills out / grows into a OHL caliber goalie too.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
I don't know how they can strive for this season right now with all the unknown.
Example - If Oshawa gets everyone back minus Rasmus who we know is gone Kingston absolutely need to plan for next season because this season will be a wasted effort for them.

Even if they get Ludwinski back why go all in just to lose to Oshawa this season?

I like the makeup of going into next season with Burns and Miedema as OA with some top 19 year olds like Battaglia and Frasca. Who knows maybe Vaccari fills out / grows into a OHL caliber goalie too.
what happens if miedema and burns are signed?

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

Have a took at rosters of Barrie, Brampton, Brantford, Niagara, NB, …so you can see why next season is not an option.

Barrie and Brampton return pretty much everyone this season, no one else does.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
It will likely be a bit before the Gennies find out if Ritchie returns. Same with Roobroeck. Two pretty key pieces. That said, the OA market may crater so teams looking for a good OA may be able to acquire early for cheap. It won’t take much for the landscape in the conference to change. All of a sudden teams that were in that 2nd tier are now in the 1st tier.
It’s very unlikely they get roobroeck back as he is now of age. He just had a breakout year, he has the body for the AHL, the skill for the AHL and now the speed (which he clearly worked on a lot), for the AHL.

However if the gens get him AND Ritchie back they’re very clearly the favourites in the East(before people make moves as that always changes things)

I believe Ritchie is back- Colorado is too hard to make at 18 unless they want to put him as the 4th line centre and waste his talents away

ScoutLife4

Nov 28, 2023

It’s possible but neither have shown they are deserving yet in my opinion.
If burns can figure out his lack of discipline issues on the ice he will likely get a ELC.
Miedema has a long way to go though as there is compete level issues clearly where the effort just isn’t there.

Reactions: NorthernVoice

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Have a took at rosters of Barrie, Brampton, Brantford, Niagara, NB, …so you can see why next season is not an option.
I agree. The big 3 of those guys that stick out to me are Brampton, Brantford, and Niagara. And 2 of those 3 also have the best pick situation in the OHL to date. I assume both make moves this year but not enough to screw up what they have going for the year after.

I wonder if Brantford trades Lardis this year at the deadline similar to Donovan and gets a ton of picks back and an 08 that i believe he would fetch. If he stays healthy i could see him at the Canada camp. Now Canadas top 6 is very very good this year so i dont see him making it but just being there will get Brantford a better package.

I could see burns 100%.

Miedema maybe but I think that may be more of an end of season- middle of season thing if he shows he can have consistency. Because that’s the big thing holding him back- he has all the tools to be a star in this league but there’s a lot of games you don’t notice him.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
I agree. The big 3 of those guys that stick out to me are Brampton, Brantford, and Niagara. And 2 of those 3 also have the best pick situation in the OHL to date. I assume both make moves this year but not enough to screw up what they have going for the year after.

I wonder if Brantford trades Lardis this year at the deadline similar to Donovan and gets a ton of picks back and an 08 that i believe he would fetch. If he stays healthy i could see him at the Canada camp. Now Canadas top 6 is very very good this year so i dont see him making it but just being there will get Brantford a better package.

I could see burns 100%.

Miedema maybe but I think that may be more of an end of season- middle of season thing if he shows he can have consistency. Because that’s the big thing holding him back- he has all the tools to be a star in this league but there’s a lot of games you don’t notice him.
oh I lived the meidema roller coaster in Windsor, I get it. He should be up there with Barlow and rehkopf but so incredibly blah with no drive most of the time

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad