Oshawa Generals 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part 1)

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I completely disagree with this.

If both Ritchie and Roobroeck are not back - - coupled with the confirmed loss of Kumpalainen - - it would make ZERO sense for Oshawa to waste assets on Wakely because he’s definitely not going to be enough to make up for the loss of those three. As I mentioned before, Wakely is a decent player, but he’s certainly not an Eric Lindros difference maker.

Wakely is a complimentary piece that you’d add to a team with an already strong top six.

The team that pays the most for Wakely is the team that NEEDS a #1 centre. If a team doesn’t need a #1 centre, they won’t go out and get that player.

Suggesting Wakely is not a #1 centre is ridiculous and you should know that. He is a 100 point player with a +50. It is not like North Bay were world beaters last year rolling over the competition. He centred one of the top 3 lines in the league last season.

If a team is in need of a #1 centre and they have an open OA slot, he should be their #1 target. That may not make sense for Oshawa depending on the circumstances, but just because it doesn’t make sense for Oshawa, it doesn’t mean he should be considered a depth piece acquisition for a Championship team. That is just crazy talk. On top of that, Eric Lindros should not be considered the measuring stick for a difference maker. Eric Lindros was one of the best hockey players to ever lace up skates. Using him as any sort of measuring stick is unfair. @dirty12 used Logan Morrison. I think that is a very fair comparison. Those talking about Wakely should keep it real. Morrison was a bonafide #1 centre in this league. I think Wakely is in the same conversation or is at least a strong recent comparable, especially as an OA.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Why would you even mention Lindros? There probably hasn’t been an OHL player make an impact like Lindros since the draft age was lowered to 18, if ever.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Your point regarding where each team was last year is fair. As is your point that you win with 19/20 year olds valid.

However, what Kingston currently lack in 20 year olds, they currently have in 19 year olds. F – Ethan Miedema (NHL RD 4); Luke McNamara; Matthew Soto; D Quinton Burn (NHL RD 3); Cal Uens; Jakub Chromiak; G Mason Vaccari.

In comparison to Oshawa's current 19 year olds Calum Ritchie (NHL RD1), Luca Marrelli (NHL RD 3), Zackary Sandhu and Matthew Buckley.
the Gens have 3 (well 4) good OAs though and 2 18 year old NHL first rounders. Like I said before, any team can become good if they trade their young players/picks and go for it, I just don't see why Kingston would do that this season

You and I have very different viewpoints on this, my friend.

I’d much rather have a team with a strong identity - - whether that’s a strong defensive identity or an strong offensive identity doesn’t matter - - it just can’t be a muddled jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none type of team.

With great goaltending and a great defence you can build around that identity and get by with an average group of forwards.

Having great goaltending but only good defence and good forwards means the team doesn’t really do anything very well and doesn’t have a strong identity.

It’s a huge assumption to proclaim Svozil will step right into the OHL seamlessly and be an above average defenceman. Maybe he can’t handle the physical play? Maybe he gets homesick? There’s a myriad of reasons as to why Svozil may not thrive in the OHL.

Trying to project his Euro league performance to what his OHL performance will be is just as much of a crapshoot as trying to project how an OHL player will do in the NHL or how a AAA player will do in the OHL.

As for Wakely, let’s not pretend he’s the second coming of an 18yr old Eric Lindros. He’s a nice player, but he’s not going to singlehandedly turn an average group of forwards into a great group of forwards. Wakely isn’t worth the price it’ll take to get him.
Yeah we're allowed to think different things. Was just explaining why I would rather have a team who can score with 2 lines and is good at D and in net rather than a team who can score with 1 line and is good at D and in net. As I said in the post you were responding to, Wakely was just a placeholder because he's an OA F. It could be whichever OA F is available. Could also start the year with D'Amato and if they can't score, you move him at the deadline and address the lack of scoring with an OA F. They have a lot of options

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
The team that pays the most for Wakely is the team that NEEDS a #1 centre. If a team doesn’t need a #1 centre, they won’t go out and get that player.

If you “need” a #1 centre it should be obvious that your team isn’t good enough to be a serious contender.

A guy like Wakely is someone who supplements an already strong top six forward group - - not someone who comes in as a saviour.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
If you “need” a #1 centre it should be obvious that your team isn’t good enough to be a serious contender.

A guy like Wakely is someone who supplements an already strong top six forward group - - not someone who comes in as a saviour.
Not true, see Kingston.

Frasca-Wakely-Battaglia
Meidema-Hopkins/McNamara-Soto

That accounts for 45 minutes every game plus any OT. And there is still an empty OA spot.

Reactions: frontsfan67

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
Why would you even mention Lindros? There probably hasn’t been an OHL player make an impact like Lindros since the draft age was lowered to 18, if ever.

Because this Generals team without Ritchie, Roobroeck and Kumpalainen would need a superhuman player like the 1990-91 Eric Lindros to be a contender - - and Dally Wakely sure ain’t it.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Because this Generals team without Ritchie, Roobroeck and Kumpalainen would need a superhuman player like the 1990-91 Eric Lindros to be a contender - - and Dally Wakely sure ain’t it.
Yeah, the gens are are removed from contention without Ritchie. You could have just stated that.
But with Ritchie and Wakely, Kingston and Brantford can probably be excused from the conversation of contention.

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
Not true, see Kingston.

Frasca-Wakely-Battaglia
Meidema-Hopkins/McNamara-Soto

That accounts for 45 minutes every game plus any OT. And there is still an empty OA spot.

You’d think Kingston would have learned their lesson last year after foolishly trading a 2nd and 3rd rounder to Kitchener for OA Roman Schmidt.

It was especially humiliating when Kitchener ended up going further in the playoffs.

Kingston is even weaker this year than they were last year and Wakely won’t have the slightest impact on whatever championship delusions they might currently be having.

• Haha
Reactions: dirty12

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

Adding a #1 centre is no different than adding a #1 goalie or a high scoring first line winger. It is a component that may be missing from an otherwise perfect roster.

There are teams that can be very deep on the wings but maybe have younger centres. Maybe a team that suffers a serious injury etc. Lots of reasons why a team would add a player like Wakely.

Also, adding a player like Wakely as an OA is a far cheaper option than acquiring the same player as a 19 year old.

I’m not a fan of acquiring a #1 centre when you already have two great scoring lines. It is a waste of assets. Acquire what you need.

Wakely will be the most sought after OA centre assuming he becomes available. His impact related to acquisition cost will be as good or better than any other player at the deadline.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
You’d think Kingston would have learned their lesson last year after foolishly trading a 2nd and 3rd rounder to Kitchener for OA Roman Schmidt.

It was especially humiliating when Kitchener ended up going further in the playoffs.

Kingston is even weaker this year than they were last year and Wakely won’t have the slightest impact on whatever championship delusions they might currently be having.
Kitchener may have learned a lesson. They were arguably the best team before trading Hamara then Schmidt. I think they played two games together, both shutout wins.
At the deadline Kitchener used virtually every disposable pick for two, two year players to stay competetive. Savard has since retired.

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
Adding a #1 centre is no different than adding a #1 goalie or a high scoring first line winger. It is a component that may be missing from an otherwise perfect roster.

There are teams that can be very deep on the wings but maybe have younger centres. Maybe a team that suffers a serious injury etc. Lots of reasons why a team would add a player like Wakely.

Also, adding a player like Wakely as an OA is a far cheaper option than acquiring the same player as a 19 year old.

I’m not a fan of acquiring a #1 centre when you already have two great scoring lines. It is a waste of assets. Acquire what you need.

Wakely will be the most sought after OA centre assuming he becomes available. His impact related to acquisition cost will be as good or better than any other player at the deadline.

If a team is just hoping to win a playoff round then sure, make a deal for Wakely to be your #1 centre.

But for a team to have a legitimate chance at a championship, they need to already have a #1 centre as well as a very strong team overall.

Saginaw was a perfect example of this last year. They had an excellent team then brought in Beck and Donovan.

Beck and Donovan are light years better than Wakely, just like Saginaw was light years better than Kingston could ever dream of being this year.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
If a team is just hoping to win a playoff round then sure, make a deal for Wakely to be your #1 centre.

But for a team to have a legitimate chance at a championship, they need to already have a #1 centre as well as a very strong team overall.

Saginaw was a perfect example of this last year. They had an excellent team then brought in Beck and Donovan.

Beck and Donovan are light years better than Wakely, just like Saginaw was light years better than Kingston could ever dream of being this year.

Wakely is a 40 goal 100 point player. I don’t understand how on Earth you throw shade on him?

There are maybe 5 other centres in the OHL in the same ballpark. If you acquire him, he best be your #1 centre. If you have a centre better than him, why trade for him? Of the goal is to acquire him to be your 3rd centre, it is a waste of assets. The kid would play 15 minutes max. That’s just crazy talk.

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
Wakely is a 40 goal 100 point player. I don’t understand how on Earth you throw shade on him?

There are maybe 5 other centres in the OHL in the same ballpark. If you acquire him, he best be your #1 centre. If you have a centre better than him, why trade for him? Of the goal is to acquire him to be your 3rd centre, it is a waste of assets. The kid would play 15 minutes max. That’s just crazy talk.

It’s not “shade” it’s just the cold hard reality.

If Wakely was as good as you seem to think he is, this conversation wouldn’t be happening because as a soon to be 21yr old he’d either be in the NHL or in the AHL at least.

Any team acquiring him is going to do so with the intention of slotting him into their top six. Maybe at C and sliding an existing C over to the wing, or maybe putting him on the wing.

This would allow said team to bump their weakest top six forward down to drive the 3rd line and strengthen it.

• Haha

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

If Wakely was as good as you seem to think he is, this conversation wouldn’t be happening because as a soon to be 21yr old he’d either be in the NHL or in the AHL at least.

Any team acquiring him is going to do so with the intention of slotting him into their top six. Maybe at C and sliding an existing C over to the wing, or maybe putting him on the wing.

This would allow said team to bump their weakest top six forward down to drive the 3rd line and strengthen it.

Name five centres coming back to the OHL this year that are clearly better. I have Ritchie and maybe Beaudoin. The OHL is void of solid experienced centres that are bonafide #1 guys that have a proven track record of success. Depending on OA returnees, maybe there is more competition at the top of the position than those three but discounting the OA’s that you clearly have no respect for, it is super thin at centre.

HOWEVER, I agree that there may be a team that acquires him to be the #2 centre (Oshawa if Roobroek doesn’t return for example) where he would be in a situation he’s not the top guy. But, I don’t see many situations like that. I think he would unseat pretty much all other centres for the top line and push others down. He wouldn’t be the depth guy. Either way, he is the upgrade like Beck was the upgrade on Haight who was pushed to the wing (still a move I didn’t like for Saginaw). Additionally, if it is a pure top flight contender that is balls out at the deadline, sure, he could be part of a massively deep group that empties their asset drawers and pushes all their chips in recklessly.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Kingston didn’t go all out last year just made a few trades. The only bad trade imo is Chromiak. Really overplayed for how he played with us.

Schmidt was our best d man while he was here and a lot of the younger d men like velliaris, Williamson, even McGowan learned good habits like how it is to be a pro.

The dubois trade never made much sense to me personally picking him up but he was relatively cheap so it made sense to get the best faceoff guy in the league, a good pk guy, locker room guy with experience and skill,

Holmes was good before he had surgery around Christmas time. After he came back he wasn’t anywhere near as good.

For the m cup bid Kingston was never going to win it over Saginaw with not only misa but the emergence of zayne parekh. Saginaw already had a better team then traded mintyukov last year for a crap ton of picks. Then this year went all out getting anyone and everyone they could. They were the right team to host American or not. Once Kingston lost the bid it obviously wouldn’t make any sense to push all the chips in when you’re not even the host city so they decided to wait for this year.

Trading Thibodeau was because of all our 05’s, and his dad was constantly in the ears of the guys in the organization. He wanted to be closer to home (i assume), trading him to flint was good for him and the fronts(getting a ton of draft picks they can use to acquire a #1 centre and 100+ point guy like wakely. Doesn’t mean they will get him but it opens the door for them to do so if they choose.

Battaglia, McNamara, frasca, Miedema, Hopkins, Soto, burns will all be better next year and I assume Battaglia, McNamara, Hopkins are 3 real big breakout guys in the O next year. They just got a goalie with m cup experience and a good oa backup/1a-1b guy with vaccari which was much needed. And they may get this great defensive d man from Finland Emil Pieniniemi to go with already picking up uronen from Ottawa who was coming into his own before his season ending injury last year. (NHL drafted too)

Imo the fronts have 2 excellent lines that can compete with anyone, their 3rd line should get Ethan weir on there which will be one of the top “rookies”(17 years old) in the league, McNamara/hopkins will be there. And they may get 1 of Kieran Dervin/Matthew Manza who both lit up jr a last year and are NCAA div 1 commits who have nothing to do the next 1/2 years before then. Apparently dervin has been circulating around Kingston and came here after the rookie camp this year. So that’s potentially 3 really solid lines and 2 great ones to go with 2 high quality left d in burns and pieniniemi, and 2 average-above average goalies(I assume)

So to me that sounds like they may be going for it. Defence should be the Achilles heel of the fronts but I assume if all of this comes into fruition they’ll atleast get 1 good right handed d whether it’s an OA or a good quality 19 year old(like maybe Andrew Gibson on the Soo or beau akey if for whatever reason Barrie doesn’t think it’s their year)

Yes I could be wrong about some of these things I’m mentioning but if half of these come true they’ll be looking like a real solid team. I get this info from some people I know involved within the team, and people on the fronts board that presumably know a thing or two within the org

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

You could insert Oster into that sentence.

Wakely ~ 6’1”, 200 lbs, 39 goals, 104 pts, +54, 50 OHL playoff games including 3 conference finals; that’s the guy you want leading the team into the playoffs. And it won’t cost your 16 yr old 1st pick.

Last edited:

Sam14

Mar 28, 2018
Wakely ~ 6’1”, 200 lbs, 39 goals, 104 pts, +54, 50 OHL playoff games including 3 conference finals; that’s the guy you want leading the team into the playoffs. And it won’t cost your 16 yr old 1st pick.
Kingston’s 05s (extremely top heavy), definitely points towards one of OAs Dalyn Wakely or Cedrick Guindon as a primary trade target in what almost has to be an all in year?

F – Ethan Miedema (NHL RD 4); Luke McNamara; Matthew Soto; Tuomas Uronen (NHL VGK 23 RD 6); Adam Cavillan; D Quinton Burn (NHL STL 23 RD 3); Cal Uens; Jakub Chromiak; D Maleek McGowan; possibly ? D - Emil Pieniniemi (NHL RD 3); G Mason Vaccari

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Kingston’s 05s (extremely top heavy), definitely points towards one of OAs Dalyn Wakely or Cedrick Guindon as a primary trade target in what almost has to be an all in year?

F – Ethan Miedema (NHL RD 4); Luke McNamara; Matthew Soto; Tuomas Uronen (NHL VGK 23 RD 6); Adam Cavillan; D Quinton Burn (NHL STL 23 RD 3); Cal Uens; Jakub Chromiak; D Maleek McGowan; possibly ? D - Emil Pieniniemi (NHL RD 3); G Mason Vaccari

On paper, Kingston is a good team. The question is more whether they can weed out the malcontents this offseason. They have started to do it but once complete, will they still have all those names? And once they do it, will they be able to build the swagger necessary? That team really suffers from a poor culture. It usually takes a couple years to build a lasting culture of winning. Kingston is likely in the baby steps stage. That is what concerns me most about the franchise in general. Believing they are great is half the battle. I am not sure that room believes they are great.

Reactions: PuckLucker

ScoutLife4

Nov 28, 2023
It is absurd to think Kingston adding Wakely would have 0 impact to that teams success.
I don't think anyone here has Kingston pegged to win a championship this coming season.
If anything they are built to compete in 2025-2026.
For that reason it probably doesn't make major sense to overspend on Wakely but if you can acquire him cheap to show your younger players a deeper playoff run for experience it may have value.

Oshawa was assembled to actually win this year in my opinion.
Rasmus leaving obviously a little blow but if they manage to keep all their players on ELC'S they will be the team to come out of the East again and are likely setup to potentially win the O.

Reactions: OMG67

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
It is absurd to think Kingston adding Wakely would have 0 impact to that teams success.
I don't think anyone here has Kingston pegged to win a championship this coming season.
currently Kingston has 9-10 players born 2005, 3-'06, 3-'07, 2-'08; there is almost no way to compete in 2025-26 ...'all-in' 2024-25, trade '05s as OAs and draft two imports next off-season.
For that reason it probably doesn't make major sense to overspend on Wakely but if you can acquire him cheap to show your younger players a deeper playoff run for experience it may have value.

Rasmus leaving obviously a little blow but if they manage to keep all their players on ELC'S they will be the team to come out of the East again and are likely setup to potentially win the O.

Reactions: frontsfan67

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
100% any team getting wakely is getting a huge addition to the team. That goes for the londons and oshawas too that already have a good 1C (if Cowan and Ritchie both return)

It will be even more valuable to a team like Kingston where I assume ludwinski makes the AHL this year and they lose out on their top dog. There is no clear cut #1 centre for the fronts now and if they want to compete they need to make a move for one.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

Agreed. I have Oshawa as the front runner based on potential starting lineup at the beginning of the season. Brampton has loads of draft capital and open OA spots where they can upgrade cheaply. Taht puts them ahead of Oshawa in my opinion assuming they make a push this year. They could wait to next year as well though.

Donnie740

May 28, 2021

I fully agree that Wakely would improve whatever team he goes to. But as I explained earlier, he’s not going to magically transform an average team into a championship team.

Kingston doesn’t have a hope in hell of winning a championship this year. Their 05’s and 06’s just aren’t good enough. So it makes ZERO sense to waste their assets acquiring Wakely.

If you honestly believe Kingston is built to contend next year in 2025-26, then they should be following the Saginaw blueprint of trading away a top guy like Mintyukov to stock their war chest with picks for making a legitimate run instead of a half assed “run” like last year.

Saginaw pulled in THREE 2nds, FOUR 3rds and TWO 4ths for Mintyukov. That’s why they were able to load up this year and win a championship.

Why doesn’t Kingston do that?

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
I fully agree that Wakely would improve whatever team he goes to. But as I explained earlier, he’s not going to magically transform an average team into a championship team.

Kingston doesn’t have a hope in hell of winning a championship this year. Their 05’s and 06’s just aren’t good enough. So it makes ZERO sense to waste their assets acquiring Wakely.

If you honestly believe Kingston is built to contend next year in 2025-26, then they should be following the Saginaw blueprint of trading away a top guy like Mintyukov to stock their war chest with picks for making a legitimate run instead of a half assed “run” like last year.

Saginaw pulled in THREE 2nds, FOUR 3rds and TWO 4ths for Mintyukov. That’s why they were able to load up this year and win a championship.

Why doesn’t Kingston do that?
they dont have Mintyukov?

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
they dont have Mintyukov?
Lol literally best guy to trade away would prob be burns as he won’t be back but he’s not gonna get anywhere near the return of mintyukov.

They’re kinda screwing themselves I find with the billion 05’s- seems like its title or bust.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad