HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
PPG when you play 50 games is useless. You remain a 50 point player
Guess it would depend if those were playoff games… considering there nothing (beside luck/bad luck) preventing him from playing more than 50 games, I would gamble on a PPG player. Even if he only played 50game he would help linemate /team while he was in the line up when he wasn’t it would help a tank and give experience to someone lower in the lineup.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Kirby Dach is the key to a good season. With him we're so much better. Without him, we'll drop like a stone.

As I've said a few times, he's a great talent and if things went differently health wise he may have even been able to become a first line caliber player. As it is, he looks like he'll be a strong second liner. But health is everything with him. He MUST have a mostly healthy season this year. If he doesn't, then we're really going to have to look at finding someone who can step in on that role.
Hage and possibly Demidov can fill that role. It would be nice to get a centre who can fill that role this season if Dach goes down to give the team a chance to vie for a playoff spot.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Hahahahaha!!!!! Sure it does, only to those with limited hockey knowledge.

Cole is useless he only got 65 points, 7-8 mil for 60 point player. Amazing how CC had surgery and came back to play a full season, he must be a unicorn because that JUST can’t be done, lol

28 good, 26 bad, only on habs boards.
?????

CC should've put up a 50 goal year with the shots he had. That shoulder surgery reduced his shooting percentage at mid ice from 20 percent to 5. Atrocious.

That may or may not happen with Laine but it's certainly worth thinking about. He's coming off surgery himself. It's not the number of games that will affect, it's the zip on the shot. Even if he does play a full season (something he hasn't done in a while) his shot is likely to be affected.

Reactions: Boss Man Hughes

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
Hage and possibly Demidov can fill that role. It would be nic eto get a centre who can fill that role this season if Dach goes down to give the team a chance to vie for a playoff spot.
Hage is like 3 years away I bet

?????

CC should've put up a 50 goal year with the shots he had. That shoulder surgery reduced his shooting percentage at mid ice from 20 percent to 5. Atrocious.

That may or may not happen with Laine but it's certainly worth thinking about. He's coming off surgery himself. It's not the number of games that will affect, it's the zip on the shot. Even if he does play a full season (something he hasn't done in a while) his shot is likely to be affected.
just love to give a chance. if the deal fits

Reactions: Colezuki

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Hage and possibly Demidov can fill that role. It would be nice to get a centre who can fill that role this season if Dach goes down to give the team a chance to vie for a playoff spot.
Hage is down the road though. Demidov isn't in the league yet either.

We can't tank another season without a second line center. If Dach gets hurt, we're going to go out and get somebody. Nobody's expecting us to make the playoffs but that doesn't mean Hugo wants a tank.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
just love to give a chance. if the deal fits
That's fine. Just know the risks are there.

We have the cap space so that's not an issue (although it may have a Tavares type effect on our salary cap) but his physical health is a concern as is his mental health.

Again, it comes down to what they want in return. That's what matters. Is it a pure cap dump for them? Then it's probably worth the risk. But if they want prospects/picks... I'd pass. And honestly, I'd rather we look in a different direction regardless.

It's always about cost. McGroaty came up earlier in the thread. Is he worth getting? It always depends on the price. I'd view him as a 3rd line fill in with upside towards the second. So if they want Harris or lower picks... fine. If they want Barron? I'd say no.

I'd rather pay a whole lot for a player we KNOW is going to be strong for us in the future. Ryan Leonard, Byfield, Knies type players. Those guys to me are worth paying out a lot on and are worth trading for with high picks and prospects. But we don't know if those kinds of players are available or what the asks would be. Byfield for example I think is untouchable. We simply won't get him. But if they'd entertain it? Then I'd pay our two firsts +++

Reactions: HabzSauce

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
That's fine. Just know the risks are there.

We have the cap space so that's not an issue (although it may have a Tavares type effect on our salary cap) but his physical health is a concern as is his mental health.

Again, it comes down to what they want in return. That's what matters. Is it a pure cap dump for them? Then it's probably worth the risk. But if they want prospects/picks... I'd pass. And honestly, I'd rather we look in a different direction regardless.

It's always about cost. McGroaty came up earlier in the thread. Is he worth getting? It always depends on the price. I'd view him as a 3rd line fill in with upside towards the second. So if they want Harris or lower picks... fine. If they want Barron? I'd say no.

I'd rather pay a whole lot for a player we KNOW is going to be strong for us in the future. Ryan Leonard, Byfield, Knies type players. Those guys to me are worth paying out a lot on and are worth trading for with high picks and prospects. But we don't know if those kinds of players are available or what the asks would be. Byfield for example I think is untouchable. We simply won't get him. But if they'd entertain it? Then I'd pay our two firsts +++
Pretty sure our two 1st would net us Leonard, Byfield and Knies man, but its our GM that won't do that. It may be a rebuild killer. In fact, i doubt neither teams would entertain such a trade.

Weltschmerz

Front Running Fan
Apr 22, 2007

We can't tank another season without a second line center. If Dach gets hurt, we're going to go out and get somebody. Nobody's expecting us to make the playoffs but that doesn't mean Hugo wants a tank.
Doubt anyone is moving a top 6 center early in the season, Newhook will have to fill that role if it happens.

Reactions: Whalers Fan

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

I'd argue that there's a difference between tanking (deliberately not icing a competitive team) and not filling a hole created due to injury. Tanking seems to be more active than passive.

Would Hughes go out and get a center? Probably, he claimed White on waivers this season. Would it be a second line center? Considering even rental ones cost around a 1st, I highly doubt it.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Have to think with the forward loss the Canes feed Necas ice time to get his points up and make him more valuable and then trade him next off season.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Doubt anyone is moving a top 6 center early in the season, Newhook will have to fill that role if it happens.
I don't see Newhook as a long term solution as 2nd line center. I think he's a decent second line winger and a great third line player. We'd get somebody at some point. Maybe get a winger in the meantime with Newhook. But we wouldn't just leave it again. That was a one off in a year where we were still looking for high picks.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I'd argue that there's a difference between tanking (deliberately not icing a competitive team) and not filling a hole created due to injury. Tanking seems to be more active than passive.

Would Hughes go out and get a center? Probably, he claimed White on waivers this season. Would it be a second line center? Considering even rental ones cost around a 1st, I highly doubt it.
I'm simply saying that we'd start looking for a longterm solution. I don't think Newhook is it. That would be a hole that would be needed to be filled.

Hopefully the whole thing is moot.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Pretty sure our two 1st would net us Leonard, Byfield and Knies man, but its our GM that won't do that. It may be a rebuild killer. In fact, i doubt neither teams would entertain such a trade.
No none of those are possibilities. None of those teams are rebuilding so they aren't interested in draft picks. If Leonard was traded it would be for a player that can help them this season.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Newhook and Roy could be solid no.6 and no.7 forward on a contending team. Both on a 3rd line is even better.
I agree that Newhook can play second line and would be fantastic to have on the third line if you have a lot of scoring depth. But I don't see him as a second line center. Winger? Yes.

Reactions: Benstheman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad