Oshawa Generals 2014-15 Season Thread (Part 2)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

MisterDB

Apr 5, 2012
Because it is now a 4 team round robin play with the host team buying their way into the tournament. The CHL went this route from the 3 team champions not knowing who would host well in advance to this format. This was done to ensure a solid fan base at the tourny, because the way bidding is done it blocks any small market OHL team from hosting. As posted before there has to be a winner for each game, no ties.

darmitage

May 13, 2012
stupid format but anyway McCarrons goal was good and his stick was below where it should be I'm saying this because Rob Faulds mentioned something about NHL in Toronto said it shouldn,t been allowed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BSabres

Sep 24, 2013
Where has Petschenig been? Injured?

I hate to say it and talk ill of an injured player but it's the best thing that could of happened to the Gens. He was HORRENDOUS in the NB series. DJ kept sending him over the boards and he would cough up the puck every chance he could. With him out, the turnovers really decreased and it gave Desrocher a chance with more minutes. Boy has he taken advantage of them. Two huge goals already in the Mem Cup round robin. Let's keep going boys!!

Go Gens Go!! Go Gens Go!!

TuckerFan1

Jul 14, 2012
Oshawa
I hate to say it and talk ill of an injured player but it's the best thing that could of happened to the Gens. He was HORRENDOUS in the NB series. DJ kept sending him over the boards and he would cough up the puck every chance he could. With him out, the turnovers really decreased and it gave Desrocher a chance with more minutes. Boy has he taken advantage of them. Two huge goals already in the Mem Cup round robin. Let's keep going boys!!

He was struggling in that series, but I would say his minutes are definitely missed. DJ doesn't play Templeton as much as Petschenig and after watching the Erie series and these last 2 games, the Gens cannot hold a lead to save their lives. Our shutdown pair of Brown and Petschenig is sorely missed in those moments.

darmitage

May 13, 2012

Petschenig wasn,t injured the whole North Bay series I thought and what I read but he looked good to me and DJ said he misses him in post game shows

BSabres

Sep 24, 2013
Petschenig wasn,t injured the whole North Bay series I thought and what I read but he looked good to me and DJ said he misses him in post game shows

No he wasn't injured the whole series, it was Game 5 I believe he was hurt. He was horrendous in literally every game leading up to the injury. DJ does love him. He was playing way too many minutes while struggling IMO. He's a great coach and I'm not going to pretend like I know more than him but the Gens have looked much better from the time he got hurt in comparison to the first 4 games of the NB series.

If you can find a write-up praising his play during that NB series I'd love to see it. Not saying he didn't have a good regular season or whatever but literally every shift was an adventure in that series with him on the ice.

TuckerFan1

Jul 14, 2012
Oshawa
No he wasn't injured the whole series, it was Game 5 I believe he was hurt. He was horrendous in literally every game leading up to the injury. DJ does love him. He was playing way too many minutes while struggling IMO. He's a great coach and I'm not going to pretend like I know more than him but the Gens have looked much better from the time he got hurt in comparison to the first 4 games of the NB series.

If you can find a write-up praising his play during that NB series I'd love to see it. Not saying he didn't have a good regular season or whatever but literally every shift was an adventure in that series with him on the ice.

His strength has never been with the puck, but hes always been a rock in front of Appleby and works hard in our own corners. To North Bays testament, they really pressured our D that series and forced them to move the puck quickly. I think Will's defensive play would have really flourished in the Erie series alongside Brown and Mermis.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Shwa is looking good, pulling out a couple close ones.
They've set themselves up well.
I am hoping thou, that kelowna can win it's next one just to make the O vs W game important.
Enjoy the ride.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Was in the building and then travelling right after the game but I just saw the highlights for Sunday's game....I hope that game puts to rest any of the absurd suggestions that Oshawa only beat Erie because of their goalie.

Hopefully that was Appleby's stinker and he plays better the rest of the way. Three of those goals were absolutely brutal. :shakehead

fanofdo

Oct 31, 2009
Because it is now a 4 team round robin play with the host team buying their way into the tournament. The CHL went this route from the 3 team champions not knowing who would host well in advance to this format. This was done to ensure a solid fan base at the tourny, because the way bidding is done it blocks any small market OHL team from hosting. As posted before there has to be a winner for each game, no ties.

Before you criticize the format you should understand the history. The four teams were added quite some time ago because the tournament was in danger of not continuing due to financial reasons. The various leagues had difficulty getting cities to host - cities didn't want to host because there wasn't anything in it for them. Venues were not sold out even though there was very good hockey to be seen.

As the game got more sophisticated expenses went up and somehow the costs had to be covered. Interestingly, even though the games are usually sold out right now, the games with the non host league are very empty. If you can't get much past a half full arena when the tickets are bought and paid for...

The organization of the tournament is such that it takes a year of planning, so it must be awarded in advance.

Small market teams are not blocked from bidding - in the OHL one of the primary determining factors is the projected competitiveness of the team the next year. Without a doubt the larger teams / cities have more resources to bid - the bid process is expensive but some small market teams have put in good bids, the issue was that their team wasn't perceived to be competitive enough.

I am not saying it is the best system, but I have not heard of a viable alternative that satisfies the planning and financial issues.

darmitage

May 13, 2012
Before you criticize the format you should understand the history. The four teams were added quite some time ago because the tournament was in danger of not continuing due to financial reasons. The various leagues had difficulty getting cities to host - cities didn't want to host because there wasn't anything in it for them. Venues were not sold out even though there was very good hockey to be seen.

As the game got more sophisticated expenses went up and somehow the costs had to be covered. Interestingly, even though the games are usually sold out right now, the games with the non host league are very empty. If you can't get much past a half full arena when the tickets are bought and paid for...

The organization of the tournament is such that it takes a year of planning, so it must be awarded in advance.

Small market teams are not blocked from bidding - in the OHL one of the primary determining factors is the projected competitiveness of the team the next year. Without a doubt the larger teams / cities have more resources to bid - the bid process is expensive but some small market teams have put in good bids, the issue was that their team wasn't perceived to be competitive enough.

I am not saying it is the best system, but I have not heard of a viable alternative that satisfies the planning and financial issues.

we don,t need host teams period! 3 championship teams play off in a large arena depending on what province it use to be like that and worked out great, why should you have a team in the tournament that wins nothing I think this is dumb maybe winner of the NHL Finals should play the Leafs haha!

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
To be fair Appleby WAS insane in the final

In game 5 of the final sure, but not the whole thing.

don,t be down on Appleby only for Appleby we wouldn,t even seen Erie I am seeing how important that trade was but Appleby is the man and why we are in the Memorial Cup

You're crazy. Appleby is a serviceable, reliable goalie, but he isn't a game stealer. The Generals have had the best team all playoffs. Appleby got his doors blown off in game 1 against North Bay and again in game 3 against Erie.

The suggestion that Appleby is "why we are in the memorial Cup" is just insane. The guy did everything he could on Sunday to make sure the team didn't stay long. :shakehead

we don,t need host teams period! 3 championship teams play off in a large arena depending on what province it use to be like that and worked out great, why should you have a team in the tournament that wins nothing I think this is dumb maybe winner of the NHL Finals should play the Leafs haha!

It seems like you just don't understand the economics of this thing.

If this years tournament was just Oshawa, Kelowna and Rimouski playing in Quebec City the event wouldn't even happen. Did you even watch the game last night between Kelowna and Rimouski (a Quebec team no less, only a couple hours' drive away)?! There was NOBODY there. And expect tonight's Oshawa/Kelowna match to have even fewer people in attendance.

If you don't want the host team participating you might as well just play the tournament in a zero capacity practice facility because that is all the seating that will be required.

darmitage

May 13, 2012

You're crazy. Appleby is a serviceable, reliable goalie, but he isn't a game stealer. The Generals have had the best team all playoffs. Appleby got his doors blown off in game 1 against North Bay and again in game 3 against Erie.

The suggestion that Appleby is "why we are in the memorial Cup" is just insane. The guy did everything he could on Sunday to make sure the team didn't stay long. :shakehead

If this years tournament was just Oshawa, Kelowna and Rimouski playing in Quebec City the event wouldn't even happen. Did you even watch the game last night between Kelowna and Rimouski (a Quebec team no less, only a couple hours' drive away)?! There was NOBODY there. And expect tonight's Oshawa/Kelowna match to have even fewer people in attendance.

If you don't want the host team participating you might as well just play the tournament in a zero capacity practice facility because that is all the seating that will be required.

you don,t know what you are talking about that's the way it use to be and it worked out fine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!most people don,t like it even Gens fans

what bloody team you watching man? if we didn,t have Appleby we wouldn,t even be playing best save percentage in the league all regular season and he steals one game after another all playoffs he stoned McDavid time after time in the finals! that's all I'm posting about this, most fans would agree about Appeby and 3 team tournament in the Memorial Cup

Last edited:

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
you don,t know what you are talking about that's the way it use to be and it worked out fine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!most people don,t like it even Gens fans

So you didn't watch the game last night?

I am a Gens fan and I love it. Having been in the building Sunday with a packed house cheering against my team, I wouldn't change a thing. It was amazing, and the players overcame.

You think the players want to play in a dead stadium in front of friends and family? Or a raucous crowd cheering for the home team?

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013

what bloody team you watching man? if we didn,t have Appleby we wouldn,t even be playing best save percentage in the league all regular season and he steals one game after another all playoffs he stoned McDavid time after time in the finals! that's all I'm posting about this, most fans would agree about Appeby and 3 team tournament in the Memorial Cup

Pardon me, are you by chance stormfanone?

Sorry, I had to ask.

No offense to stormfanone

TuckerFan1

Jul 14, 2012
Oshawa

Appleby is more then serviceable. To be fair, the amount of turnovers and breakaways given up in game 1 against North Bay, was atrocious. Cant fault him for the rest of the team hanging him out to dry all game long. The goaltending in the tournament hasnt been great for anyone really. Rimouski's goalies are both soft, Fucale and Whistle have both been alright, but both have 1 loss already.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Appleby is more then serviceable. To be fair, the amount of turnovers and breakaways given up in game 1 against North Bay, was atrocious. Cant fault him for the rest of the team hanging him out to dry all game long. The goaltending in the tournament hasnt been great for anyone really. Rimouski's goalies are both soft, Fucale and Whistle have both been alright, but both have 1 loss already.

Fucale made a number of HUGE saves on Sunday. If it wasn't for the goalies (Quebec benefiting from Fucale and Oshawa being hindered by Appleby) that game would have been a 10-0 blowout for Oshawa (the final shots were 50-25!). Quebec had no business even being in the game, and yet they were one shot away from winning it.

Appleby is good, but he isn't "the reason" Oshawa is where they are. He is just part of a tremendous, powerful junior hockey team. Yeah, game 1 against NB the whole team was poor, but it's not like he stepped up to that challenge...and I was also in the building to see him get shelled in game 3 against in St. Catharines. Appleby is good, but he is no superstar.

Stopping 1 Connor McDavid breakaway in the OHL clinching game doesn't mean he is the reason Oshawa is where they are.

ecraigs

Sponsor
Dec 6, 2013

Well, 9,500 and 11,000 for Quebec games, and 8,500 and 7,000 for Rimouski games says differently. Tonight, we should see 6,000 or less. That's a lot of unsold seats when you have to guarantee money to the League. The best turnouts were for weekend games. That might improve if Quebec and Rimouski play a doubleheader on Wed and Thurs, but Rimouski has to win Wednesday. Then the arena goes nuts.

The old way didn't work any better. Double round-robins, poor preparation. Who would bid big money for a tournament if the host team isn't in it? I am no fan of the format, but this is all about money. It's a media event, not a hockey tournament. They jerk the fans around about the time of the final game, so you can't make firm travel plans until mid-week. But, we can't discombobulate SportsNet, can we?

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Well, 9,500 and 11,000 for Quebec games, and 8,500 and 7,000 for Rimouski games says differently. Tonight, we should see 6,000 or less. That's a lot of unsold seats when you have to guarantee money to the League. The best turnouts were for weekend games. That might improve if Quebec and Rimouski play a doubleheader on Wed and Thurs, but Rimouski has to win Wednesday. Then the arena goes nuts.

The old way didn't work any better. Double round-robins, poor preparation. Who would bid big money for a tournament if the host team isn't in it? I am no fan of the format, but this is all about money. It's a media event, not a hockey tournament. They jerk the fans around about the time of the final game, so you can't make firm travel plans until mid-week. But, we can't discombobulate SportsNet, can we?

Bingo.

The meaningful hockey tournaments took place over the last couple months. Those were what mattered; they're what decided who the best teams were. Whether it is three or four teams, whoever the host might be, the winner of the Memorial Cup is really just a crap-shoot. This tournament, however it might be constructed, is really just a "celebration" of junior hockey across the country. You can't determine a "true champion" with such a short series of one-off matchups.

I just don't understand all the hand wringing. Just enjoy the games for what they are...a spectacle involving the best teams in the CHL.

TuckerFan1

Jul 14, 2012
Oshawa
Bingo.

The meaningful hockey tournaments took place over the last couple months. Those were what mattered; they're what decided who the best teams were. Whether it is three or four teams, whoever the host might be, the winner of the Memorial Cup is really just a crap-shoot. This tournament, however it might be constructed, is really just a "celebration" of junior hockey across the country. You can't determine a "true champion" with such a short series of one-off matchups.

I just don't understand all the hand wringing. Just enjoy the games for what they are...a spectacle involving the best teams in the CHL.

Whats stopping them from making the 4th team the winners from the USHL? It would make it a little more interesting. The 3 winners from the 3 central parts of Canada, plus a team from the states. This doesn't solve the hosting team problem, but it makes it 4 of the best possible teams. Do the CHL and USHL not want any part of each other?

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Whats stopping them from making the 4th team the winners from the USHL? It would make it a little more interesting. The 3 winners from the 3 central parts of Canada, plus a team from the states. This doesn't solve the hosting team problem, but it makes it 4 of the best possible teams. Do the CHL and USHL not want any part of each other?

Interesting idea. I have no idea how the talent compares, and I still think you NEED to have the hosts take part, but I wouldn't be opposed to this.

I would imagine though that the CHL has little to no interest in including the USHL and giving them any kind of free press.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI

Even without considering how the CHL and USHL probably feel about each other (competing to recruit some of the same players), this could also jeopardize the NCAA eligibility of USHL players. The NCAA considers the CHL a professional league, and all players lose their NCAA eligibility when they sign a CHL contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad