News Article: Lebreton...UPDATE - Agreement made with NCC.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Overall I thought the press conference was good. The NCC agreeing to sell land and a larger piece of it is huge. Glad to hear it explicitly said that they don’t have any expectations for taxpayers to have a role in funding the arena. Lots of unknowns still, including not yet having a sale price for the land (although agreement on what the “fair market vale” is shouldn’t be too difficult), and who will pay to remediate the land.

Long way (many years) to go, but what a difference it must be for those involved to be dealing with Andlauer’s group compared to what everyone involved had to put up with negotiating with Melnyk.
I think the italicized section is because of the bolded section. Owning a larger parcel of land means more opportunity for development that can offset the cost of the arena and they can be corporate landlords for some of the most premium retail property in the city. I wonder what the total cost will be though (cost of land + construction of arena + development of rest of land) and how this will be financed?

Reactions: RandR and Senscore

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I think the italicized section is because of the bolded section. Owning a larger parcel of land means more opportunity for development that can offset the cost of the arena and they can be corporate landlords for some of the most premium retail property in the city. I wonder what the total cost will be though (cost of land + construction of arena + development of rest of land) and how this will be financed?
Not seeing much land for other development, building needs 7 acres (with zero parking) , need room for transports as well, and they have 10 acres.

Oct 10, 2010
I guess with this announcement, we’ll have to continue with arguably the leagues worst jumbotron ?

I wonder at the very least if they have repaired the broken pixels ? Lol

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I wonder what the NCC and Senators mean when they say they want the Algonquin nation to be a true partner in the project?

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Did the NCC or Senators release a map showing the land to be purchased?

I read the PR but did not see a link to a map.

Reactions: Flamingo

Stylizer1

Teflon Don
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Fans will be able to hit up Bulk Barn and buy a new button up at the Gap pre game. What an experience!

BTW, have you ever been driven from the Walmart at Trainyards to the 417 W on-ramp on a Saturday afternoon? What makes you think this would be an efficient place to put an arena? Cramming 10k cars onto the Vanier Parkway will get people on their way quickly?

I guess I shouldn’t forget about the 17 fans who’ll take Via from Casselman…
They obviously wouldn't have kept the strip malls. You level the whole area with the exception of some buildings like Farmboy maybe Movati and you develop the rest.

Stylizer1

Teflon Don
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
If this team wants to make money the last thing they should do is cater to people who live in Brockville or Casselman. That’s the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever heard.

The money is in neighborhoods like Westboro, the Glebe, Rockcliffe. That’s who the focus needs to be on. They’ll be the ones willing to pony up for tickets and 18 dollar beers.

The people whose biggest priority is getting onto the highway quickly after a game should have zero input into where this rink is built.

If you’re that concerned about getting back to Barrhaven, just stay in Barrhaven.
I wasn't saying to cater to them but to make it easier for people who live on the outskrits an easier commute. Brockville, Smith Falls, and Barrhaven are where a lot of fans would come from to head to the CTC. Moving downtown would make their commutes all that much worse. This went into my reasoning for have the Arena built on 2 different train lines. Like I said in an earlier post, obviously you are looking for most of your attendance coming from the core of the city but the Valley is full of Sens fans.

Fans were already ponying up for overpriced Beer, the fact you think you are going to get richer ones attending the game doesn't make the slightest difference. The difference will be becoming like Toronto where the whole lower bowl is full of "fans" who are there because its a status thing.

Stylizer1

Teflon Don
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
If you think that there is a lack of parking options, I do question whether you’ve ever been down here.

What do you think people do during Bluesfest, which brings 30k people to a field at Lebreton?
Bluesfest is in the middle of the Summer not -15 at night. This whole discussion was based on not getting a deal done at Lebreton. We were talking about alternatives. Someone brought up Bayview and I only countered with Trainyards for discussion. You turned it into Trainyards sucks and Lebreton is the best. No one argued that.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Must have been hard for the NCC to sell the land instead of leasing it. Maybe it’s a good trade-off in lieu of taxpayer subsidies.

Although im still dubious of Cyril’s claim that no taxpayer funding will be expected as is the case generally in Canada.

It's not just the arena but the arena district that will be important. Do they develop a good variety of post game entertainment options. Im imagining a Lansdowne v2 but they will really need to create a fun district that people want to party at or the downtown premise wont pay off. Hopefully they do something really nice around the aqueduct.

Still not sure what was implied about the parking issue resolved. Seems like they have a lot of plans for a small amount of land.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad