Oshawa Generals 2014-15 Season Thread (Part 2)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Naz

Nov 25, 2008
Everywhere
I don,t mean to think about next season but what kind of shape will we be in as far as returning players? reading today about contenders for next year like Petes is a good pick for the East

Then why do! who cares what next year bring the generals are in a position to win the Memorial Cup and had a great season. Enjoy the ride we will be in the middle of the pack & with DJ who knows maybe higher and GM Hunt will make trades to restock the cupboard. I'm loving it win or lose it was enjoyable season

darmitage

May 13, 2012
Then why do! who cares what next year bring the generals are in a position to win the Memorial Cup and had a great season. Enjoy the ride we will be in the middle of the pack & with DJ who knows maybe higher and GM Hunt will make trades to restock the cupboard. I'm loving it win or lose it was enjoyable season

ya that's true or hopefully win the cup remember in 1987 we won every game too but the last one and it was right here in Oshawa as a host maybe this was before your time but we are in a good position to win

Naz

Nov 25, 2008
Everywhere
ya that's true or hopefully win the cup remember in 1987 we won every game too but the last one and it was right here in Oshawa as a host maybe this was before your time but we are in a good position to win

34 yr season ticket holder I personally think that in a best of 7 series there is no team in the memorial cup can beat the generals but it's 1 game and not always the best team wins.

darmitage

May 13, 2012
34 yr season ticket holder I personally think that in a best of 7 series there is no team in the memorial cup can beat the generals but it's 1 game and not always the best team wins.

you are correct! 1982-83 team was my favorite team and that even got beat in Portland but I'm just saying in 1 game anything could happen but Oshawa is looking good hope it isn,t Kelowna they are too good!

Naz

Nov 25, 2008
Everywhere
you are correct! 1982-83 team was my favorite team and that even got beat in Portland but I'm just saying in 1 game anything could happen but Oshawa is looking good hope it isn,t Kelowna they are too good!

We did beat them 2-1 yesterday and out shot them also

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
The Oshawa Generals will not be in the middle of the pack, they will fighting to make the playoffs next year.

TuckerFan1

Jul 14, 2012
Oshawa
The Oshawa Generals will not be in the middle of the pack, they will fighting to make the playoffs next year.

You predicted the Petes would be a top contender this year, at a time when they had probably the worst goal tending situation besides Sudbury....

It wont be as thrilling of a season as the past 2 years have been, but with the right players, DJ can get this team playing the way he wants.

Macker88

Jul 15, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
As far as the Generals positioning next season, I can see them any where from 4th to 10th. There will be a number of factors that play into what happens with Oshawa next season.

With so many 95's that both are NHL draft picks its tough to gauge what guys will come back as OA's. One would assume the following players will be in the AHL as they are drafted players, Hunter Smith (CAL), Matt Mistele (L.A), Cole Cassels (VAN), Mike McCarron (MON), Tobias Lindberg (OTT), Pedersen (CAR). However I could make the case that Brent Pedersen will be back in Oshawa as Carolina is yet to sign him to an entry level deal (as far as I know). Ken Appleby is Undrafted but attended camp with Chicago and Arizona last summer and will likely earn an NHL contract following the Memorial cup. That leaves Will Petschenig, Michael Turner, Aidan Wallace and Bradley Latour as one would assume Sonny Hertzberg will not be brought back as an OA. You can bet DJ Smith with want to keep to of his favorites in Petschenig and Wallace. With Turner, Latour and Pedersen also likely back I would personally keep one of Pedersen and Latour to the deadline and trade one for picks prior to the season opening. Get what you can for Turner however it won't be much. An now if Ken Appleby is returned to the OHL like Jake Paterson was this season, you can move Appleby to a contender in need of a goalie for a ton of picks or young prospect to reload.

Another factor will be how the Generals draft in the import draft. If they hit on one or both of their picks the rebuild could accelerate. Think about it, what if they add another player of Lindberg's quality and a serviceable import like Hertzberg. Hertzberg would play on pretty much any other team in the O and was excellent for Denmark in the World Juniors.

The Rookies, if Jack Studnicka, MacLean and Sparkes come in an produce in some capacity again the rebuild will be accelerated. Also expect Riley Stillman and Dom Commisso to join the fold.

Michael Dal Colle.. In my opinion the Islanders will send him back next season. Here's why, he can't go to the AHL, the Islanders are stacked in their top 6 and have guys pushing for spots in the AHL. Dal Colle would need to beat out a hell of a lot of people to make the Islanders full time next season. The Generals will be able to cash in big with Dal Colle next season, as he'll be a World Junior, Top 5 NHL prospect available for rental.

Expect the Generals line up to look something like this .. with out imports
Dal Colle - Cirelli - Pedersen
Manchurek- Harding - Studnicka
Huether - Wallace -
Sparkes - Commisso - MacLean

Petschenig - Vande Sompel
Templeton - Desrocher
Robertson - Stillman

Brodeur
Devine

darmitage

May 13, 2012
As far as the Generals positioning next season, I can see them any where from 4th to 10th. There will be a number of factors that play into what happens with Oshawa next season.

With so many 95's that both are NHL draft picks its tough to gauge what guys will come back as OA's. One would assume the following players will be in the AHL as they are drafted players, Hunter Smith (CAL), Matt Mistele (L.A), Cole Cassels (VAN), Mike McCarron (MON), Tobias Lindberg (OTT), Pedersen (CAR). However I could make the case that Brent Pedersen will be back in Oshawa as Carolina is yet to sign him to an entry level deal (as far as I know). Ken Appleby is Undrafted but attended camp with Chicago and Arizona last summer and will likely earn an NHL contract following the Memorial cup. That leaves Will Petschenig, Michael Turner, Aidan Wallace and Bradley Latour as one would assume Sonny Hertzberg will not be brought back as an OA. You can bet DJ Smith with want to keep to of his favorites in Petschenig and Wallace. With Turner, Latour and Pedersen also likely back I would personally keep one of Pedersen and Latour to the deadline and trade one for picks prior to the season opening. Get what you can for Turner however it won't be much. An now if Ken Appleby is returned to the OHL like Jake Paterson was this season, you can move Appleby to a contender in need of a goalie for a ton of picks or young prospect to reload.

Another factor will be how the Generals draft in the import draft. If they hit on one or both of their picks the rebuild could accelerate. Think about it, what if they add another player of Lindberg's quality and a serviceable import like Hertzberg. Hertzberg would play on pretty much any other team in the O and was excellent for Denmark in the World Juniors.

The Rookies, if Jack Studnicka, MacLean and Sparkes come in an produce in some capacity again the rebuild will be accelerated. Also expect Riley Stillman and Dom Commisso to join the fold.

Michael Dal Colle.. In my opinion the Islanders will send him back next season. Here's why, he can't go to the AHL, the Islanders are stacked in their top 6 and have guys pushing for spots in the AHL. Dal Colle would need to beat out a hell of a lot of people to make the Islanders full time next season. The Generals will be able to cash in big with Dal Colle next season, as he'll be a World Junior, Top 5 NHL prospect available for rental.

Huether - Wallace -

Templeton - Desrocher
Robertson - Stillman

Brodeur
Devine

Actually there is nothing wrong about posting about next season there is only 1 game left for the season I think we will be Memorial Cup Champs but nothing for sure, I thought Smith, Appleby,Wallace and,Petschenig is what we can choose from for OA? bottom line we have to trade a few of our returning players next season for draftpicks maybe young players
if the Petes only loose there OA next season I would think they will be a contender next season or Kingston

Last edited:

Spits1963

Dec 17, 2014
Gens fans, good luck Sunday! Lots of Winsor connections there so we'll be watching and cheering with you

darmitage

May 13, 2012
Gens fans, good luck Sunday! Lots of Winsor connections there so we'll be watching and cheering with you

its funny seems like yesterday when I was cheering on Windsor the year you guys were making a run in the Memorial Cup!

darmitage

May 13, 2012
Can we have D.J. Wellwood and Hunter back please. Lol

my opinion I don,t think DJ will be back next season especially with a Memorial Cup
Wellwood is doing a great job so no way and as far as Hunter Smith I'm hoping he will be back as OA and I think DJ will bring him back if DJ is here

goodtimes

Sep 24, 2013
Actually there is nothing wrong about posting about next season there is only 1 game left for the season I think we will be Memorial Cup Champs but nothing for sure, I thought Smith, Appleby,Wallace and,Petschenig is what we can choose from for OA? bottom line we have to trade a few of our returning players next season for draftpicks maybe young players
if the Petes only loose there OA next season I would think they will be a contender next season or Kingston

Problem with the Generals is they're down to very limited picks moving forward, hard to re-build with no ammo. Best move for the franchise is to take the Appleby's, Dal Colle's and Mistele's and get those picks back. Take a year off, refill the system and start anew.

darmitage

May 13, 2012
Problem with the Generals is they're down to very limited picks moving forward, hard to re-build with no ammo. Best move for the franchise is to take the Appleby's, Dal Colle's and Mistele's and get those picks back. Take a year off, refill the system and start anew.

hey it sounds like you know what your doing! don,t worry there will be posters that will disagree with you but you are correct, can you imagine what you would get for just Dal Colle and Vande Sompel going to a contender that going for it but Mistele won,t be back

goodtimes

Sep 24, 2013
hey it sounds like you know what your doing! don,t worry there will be posters that will disagree with you but you are correct, can you imagine what you would get for just Dal Colle and Vande Sompel going to a contender that going for it but Mistele won,t be back

Disagree re:Mistele but point is the same. How was the team built? Drafting picks in the top of the draft and paying draft picks to bring in the 'finishing pieces'.

How can you do it again when all the top 5 round picks are gone?

darmitage

May 13, 2012
Disagree re:Mistele but point is the same. How was the team built? Drafting picks in the top of the draft and paying draft picks to bring in the 'finishing pieces'.

How can you do it again when all the top 5 round picks are gone?

so you don,t think we should make any trades next year? is that what you mean I don,t want them to go either but we are losing a lot of players I think this what your talking about the trades were good but we were good before too

goodtimes

Sep 24, 2013
so you don,t think we should make any trades next year? is that what you mean I don,t want them to go either but we are losing a lot of players I think this what your talking about the trades were good but we were good before too

No, i was agreeing with your point, that the only way your going to get the picks back to rebuild this team is to sell hard. Look at the teams that don't see hard after a run, it never turns out well for them. hat was the point of Guelph not selling Dickinson/Bertuzzi? Just so they can lose in the 2nd round and let them leave for nothing.

darmitage

May 13, 2012
No, i was agreeing with your point, that the only way your going to get the picks back to rebuild this team is to sell hard. Look at the teams that don't see hard after a run, it never turns out well for them. hat was the point of Guelph not selling Dickinson/Bertuzzi? Just so they can lose in the 2nd round and let them leave for nothing.

sorry just misunderstood you but what would be the sense of keeping some of the returning players just for 1 year which will be a nothing year anyway but I would wait till January to trade of course I think we will be average next year but nothing to this year
I think the Officiating has been good in the OHL Finals and the Memorial Cup there should have been calls last game but too many calls could cost the game I wish NHL and CHL would look at delay game penality because 80 per cent of the time its an accident puck being shot over the glass that could have cost us the game against Kelowna the other night

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
After playing 3 games in the past 4 days the Gens will get the next 4 days off.

Including their regular season, OHL playoffs and Memorial Cup they have played 92 games and won 70.

In a cruel world they will be judged on what they do in game 93 and not their previous record. As they say, it is what it is. Go Gens!

Yep. And they have already beaten every other champion, but it will still all come down to game 93.

Oshawa wont even be considered until their scoreboard is actually viewable

As it should be.

I would think Oshawa (with a new scoreboard) would be a top contender. It would be much better than Mississauga was.

TuckerFan1

Jul 14, 2012
Oshawa

Huether - Wallace -

Templeton - Desrocher
Robertson - Stillman

Brodeur
Devine

Whats the word on Maclean? I thought some people were saying he was leaning towards NCAA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad