Olympics 2026 qualification

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
In case Russia will not participate the groups will be regrouped as follows:
A: CAN, SUI, CZE, ITA
B: SWE, FIN, SVK, DEN
C: USA, GER, LAT, FRA
Source: hockeyslovakia
That group C is a stinker of a group of that is the reorg. Still feel for Italy.lol

Reactions: Fil

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
If the information wouldn't stand on the hockeyslovakia official page I'd take it for a hoax. Considering IIHF ranking this doesn't make any sense. The group C is the weakest one by a great margin.
I really couldn't care less about some random source in Slovakia of all places

These are the actual groups. If Russia remains banned. This is based on the 2023 IIHF rankings and the approved Olympic format. There's no randomized draw if you've been following hockey.

We know the seeds and the ranking of each national team.

Group C is composed of

Reactions: Fil

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
I really couldn't care less about some random source in Slovakia of all places

These are the actual groups. If Russia remains banned. This is based on the 2023 IIHF rankings and the approved Olympic format. There's no randomized draw if you've been following hockey.

We know the seeds and the ranking of each national team.

Group C is composed of
I’m not following. Are you going with France as being in, or Norway? Norway is the one with the higher IIHF seed. France is only in if they’re using goal differential from the qualifying tournaments. And I haven’t seen any official statement on that - just a lot of hunches and people doubling down on their hunches.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
I’m not following. Are you going with France as being in, or Norway? Norway is the one with the higher IIHF seed. France is only in if they’re using goal differential from the qualifying tournaments. And I haven’t seen any official statement on that - just a lot of hunches and people doubling down on their hunches.
The IIHF tie breaking formula is not based on a hunch, it's an official document. It hasn't changed for years.

The same tie breaking formula is applied when ranking teams at the end of each World Championship. Every year half of the teams don't face.anyone from the other pool, yet they have to be ranked anyway. This is no different.

France is in.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
View attachment 904502

might also be the only guy from top 10 to play in 2026
A couple of 5-point guys might be there, from this tournament Krastenbergs and Čerešňák, Corvi has an outside chance of making Team Switzerland, and I suppose Wallmark could still make Team Sweden. But Kent Johnson is the biggest talent, if 2026 doesn't come too early.

aquaregia

May 23, 2022
Lancashire
That group C is a stinker of a group of that is the reorg. Still feel for Italy.lol
I'm not sure whichever group Italy ended up in they'd be having a good time. Maybe next year they will find a way to show something different but they've been dreadful for the whole Olympic-cycle up to now.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I'm not sure whichever group Italy ended up in they'd be having a good time. Maybe next year they will find a way to show something different but they've been dreadful for the whole Olympic-cycle up to now.
Yeah, they will be going with the good old "let's not embarrass ourselves out there boys" battle cry. At least Clara should be pretty solid by then.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Bit of a joke but they will have Jalonen. I'm curious if they employ an all Canadian roster of guys with Italian heritage?

aquaregia

May 23, 2022
Lancashire
Bit of a joke but they will have Jalonen. I'm curious if they employ an all Canadian roster of guys with Italian heritage?
They'd still need to meet the requirements of having played two consecutive seasons of competitive hockey in Italy wouldn't they? Don't think it would be simple to find players who would both improve what they already have and be willing to play for one of the Italian ICEHL teams for a couple of years.

They already have a handful like Pietroniro and Mantenunto, of course, do you think anyone better would be likely to come from NA to play? I guess the IIHF could throw in a loophole like they did for China, but the level China were at before and where Italy at now are still quite starkly different.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Jalonen will try and play his redline 3-2 and try to stay away from a track meet. You still need retrieve and exit, be interesting to see if they try and have some control on the exits or just get back and then lob out and try to win the fight in the NZ. Either way... Jalonen will have a plan.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
They'd still need to meet the requirements of having played two consecutive seasons of competitive hockey in Italy wouldn't they? Don't think it would be simple to find players who would both improve what they already have and be willing to play for one of the Italian ICEHL teams for a couple of years.

They already have a handful like Pietroniro and Mantenunto, of course, do you think anyone better would be likely to come from NA to play? I guess the IIHF could throw in a loophole like they did for China, but the level China were at before and where Italy at now are still quite starkly different.
I don't folow Italian hockey.. like at all. But I do know the last time I saw an Italian Olympic team.. it was full of Canadians.

11 guys born in North America.

But, I think you are taking my joke rather seriously and that is all it was.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Jalonen will try and play his redline 3-2 and try to stay away from a track meet. You still need retrieve and exit, be interesting to see if they try and have some control on the exits or just get back and then lob out and try to win the fight in the NZ. Either way... Jalonen will have a plan.
Wasn't Keenan supposed to be the guy? What happened?

There is definitely a formula in hockey for non hockey powers of playing a terribly boring shutdown game. I assume this is plan A.lol

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Wasn't Keenan supposed to be the guy? What happened?

There is definitely a formula in hockey for non hockey powers of playing a terribly boring shutdown game. I assume this is plan A.lol
The game has passed Keenan by so badly it's not even funny. He couldn't seem to settle on a group of players and he failed badly in the tourney play.. Killed their prep really.

Jalonen will need to identify his group of 26 to 30 players and get done what he can.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
It would mean collecting marginal upgrades that don't really move the needle against the big teams at the price of actively denying home-grown players the opportunity to represent their county at the Olympics at home. Which frankly is a bit of a PR disaster. China didn't care but their situation was indded starkly different.

Reactions: PanniniClaus

joelef

Nov 22, 2011
I don't folow Italian hockey.. like at all. But I do know the last time I saw an Italian Olympic team.. it was full of Canadians.

They just with with many of there sport teams. Italian soccer teams have always used South Americans , Italian baseball team uses Americans and Venezuelans, Italy field hockey and rugby uses argetinaians, Italian cricket team uses South Africans and australians

aquaregia

May 23, 2022
Lancashire

Lol fairs, but I also don't really know enough about current NHL/AHL to know if there are any obvious names worth targeting, so I am genuinely interested!

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Lol fairs, but I also don't really know enough about current NHL/AHL to know if there are any obvious names worth targeting, so I am genuinely interested!
A guy like Nic Petan would have been one, joining his brother Alex.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Mario Lemieux sounds Italian to me lol.

I say let Sonny Milano join.. the most Italian name ever.lol

Reactions: PanniniClaus

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
To change eligibility players need to play enough years in the country.

Two former NHL players, Jason Akeson and Mike Halmo, are currently on Italian ICEHL team rosters. Both played there already last season (and Halmo couple of more) so I wouldn't be surprised to see them in the team.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Hornbæk
I know that Denmark were the hosts and thus, nominal favourites, but damn, that was the only group where the second team actually looked better both on paper and previous game results. And yet, Norway failed miserably. Too bad, since in 2 years the gap between the teams would be even bigger. Yet, Danes stepped up when it matters.

France may hope for a rematch against Latvia in the OG.
Did you watch the games?

Denmark were not very effective, but dominated games against both Japan and UK.
Both in play, and SOG. Both games goalies were insane. and Denmark super ineffective.

Doesn't matter tho - We won, and will get a last OG before it all falls apart.

Not sure about looking better on paper though - They will in a few years. But not now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad