Speculation: Simple question, Playoffs Yes or No

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

RickyLafleur

Fall of Pierre
Oct 17, 2013
Ottawa, ON
quote-probably-not-their-depth-and-our-play-right-now-it-doesn-t-look-too-good-daniel-alfredss...jpg

Reactions: gab6511

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Three guys who's health was an issue last year, Stutzle, Norris and Chabot, could play a big role in how we perform.

Chabot, he said he hasn't felt 100% (wrist) for 2 and a half years, that just happens to coincide with 2021-22 season, which imo was his most complete season. That's promising.

Stutzle, said he struggled through a wrist injury since game 4, which when you look at his goal totals (18) compared to the previous year (39) makes sense. If he's back to the 90 pts ~40 g guy from 2022-23, that's huge,

Norris, he was not great last year, tweaked something before camp, and was tentative in his play all year. Did this round of surgery resolve his issue, if so the last time he was healthy he put up 35 goals in 66 games while playing a well rounded game. would give us incredible center depth with Pinto and Stutzle.

If any one of those three things happens, it's a big boost. If all three happen, it's massive.

Blotto71

Okay, maybe the worst is behind us...?
May 12, 2013
Over There
If the "projected" 25pt bump Sportsnet sees for the NJD is real because they will be healthy, improved their goaltending, and hired a new coach is real, then heck yeah! The Sens should realize at least a 23pt bump, no?

Reactions: albator71

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
together though that is a lot of talent. like when was the last time we had so much? 2011? 2007? and weve had a bunch of less skilled teams make the playoffs.

the thing with these guys is mental and accountability. but hopefully new coaches, new mentors, new management puts them right.

we have guys like Staios and Alfredsson over guys like Dorion and DJ. two guys who are all business and winning vs two guys who were just happy they were there.

massive difference.

I think we use the word talent way too loosely around here. This Team is not as talented as we make them out to be.

We just tend to overrate our players as a fanbase. You can tell by the amount of phrase they get around here despite them winning anything and being one of the worst teams in past 5 years

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
We'd be playing meaningful games all season long if we even had league average goaltending. Ullmark alone keeps us in the season for 82 games, but I think we make it because we have a more balance roster.

Cautious yes!

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

LiseL

Sep 25, 2023
If Ullmark saves 90.5% or higher of his shots

Travis green is just as good or better than Jacques Martin
And Jensen and Perron are just as good or better than chychrun and tarasenko.

We will make the playoffs.

I’m pretty confident on the first one.

I don’t think green is as good a coach as Martin. Can he get them to play as well as Martin got them to play? Remans to be seen.

Not sure on the third point
Because of Ullmark's play in Buffalo, highly unlikely his save % dips below .905.

I think Jensen is an upgrade on Chychrun.

Perron may not be an upgrade on Tarasenko in pt production, but he has more sandpaper, plays well on the the boards and also goes to the net. I think he'll be an effective linemate if playing with point producers.

According to some reports, Green gets the most out of his players. That bodes well for the core. Also, he's not the only new coach: Mike Yeo will also be a factor so I think as a group, they'll be at least as good as JM.

LiseL

Sep 25, 2023
Three guys who's health was an issue last year, Stutzle, Norris and Chabot, could play a big role in how we perform.

Chabot, he said he hasn't felt 100% (wrist) for 2 and a half years, that just happens to coincide with 2021-22 season, which imo was his most complete season. That's promising.

Stutzle, said he struggled through a wrist injury since game 4, which when you look at his goal totals (18) compared to the previous year (39) makes sense. If he's back to the 90 pts ~40 g guy from 2022-23, that's huge,

Norris, he was not great last year, tweaked something before camp, and was tentative in his play all year. Did this round of surgery resolve his issue, if so the last time he was healthy he put up 35 goals in 66 games while playing a well rounded game. would give us incredible center depth with Pinto and Stutzle.

If any one of those three things happens, it's a big boost. If all three happen, it's massive.
I would also add if Hamonic's 2 knee procedures allow him to be able to play and be effective when he does so, it would be an additional boost.

Last edited:
Reactions: bert and DrEasy

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
I don't cry at funerals.

I believe that men should understand their emotions and should have a healthy private way of going through them, but I do not believe in the BS that it is okay for men to cry in the presence of their wife, children, of community. The job of a man is to provide stability and security for their friends and family. A family cannot draw strength from a leader who is bawling his eyes out like a 12 year old at a Taylor Swift concert.

That world view is why I choose not to post about how I think that we are a year away from a lot of tough choices, like Brady leveraging his NMC to to a playoff team, or whether we should rename the arena the Farm Boy Pavilion. Instead, I will buy tickets and tell everybody who asks that "I think Staios made some sick moves, don't sleep on Amadio, he played on the first like in Vegas".

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I think this team will be in it right to the end, its likely a coin flip as the east is deep but lacks high end top teams. It really depends on goaltending, the team will have an identity this year it wont be an easy 2 points with a bunch of easy goals for the opposition this season. If Ullmark is the real deal they will be a playoff team.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I think we use the word talent way too loosely around here. This Team is not as talented as we make them out to be.

We just tend to overrate our players as a fanbase. You can tell by the amount of phrase they get around here despite them winning anything and being one of the worst teams in past 5 years
This team was talented last year (outside of goaltending) but incredibly poorly constructed. Talent is not the issue with this group; consistency, defensive awareness, compete and leadership has been. Collectively they were too young and didnt have the right mix. I think thats been addressed this offseason. Talent in redundant positions has been mitigated and spread out through the lineup. Dorion did not know how to construct a winning hockey team, he accrued talent but not wisely. There is lots more leadership in the room this season with players that will have defined and identified roles. It will make a big difference as every player will have a job and will likely feel good about it. The only player I am not sure about is Norris, I personally am not counting on him. I think anyone that is, is foolish. That doesnt mean this team cant be good if he isnt either.

Reactions: albator71

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
The playoffs are a real possibility again the start of the season is crucial because if they have a good start then their confidence will grow, they need to play to win not play not to lose. I think it's all about playing with confidence and playing with structure every night if they can do that they will make the playoffs, they're good enough it's all about their attitude and playing together not for the name on your back but for the logo on the front. It's very difficult to build confidence when you goaltender let the first goal of the game on the first or second shot 19 times!!! Now they have a goaltender who will make the big save and keep them in the game and give them a chance to win every night.

Reactions: bert

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
No! I predict a slow start as the team adjusts to the new coach and system. Can the bottom 6 produce? Will the defence send Ullmark to the goalie graveyard? They need to bring in a Shaman and break the curse!

If this team sends Ullmark to the goalie graveyard, then the entire organization needs to be dismantled. Everything from the core, to the scouts, to coaching and trainers all need to be tossed and rebuilt from the ground up.

I'm not saying Ullmark will be a top 5 (or top 10) goalie in the league this season, but he has too much pedigree to end up in the bottom 10 like we had last year. If things are that bad that he ends up there, it's 100% on the organization.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Voted no because 4 teams have separated themselves from the rest of the Atlantic.
I hated Tampas offseason. But if Vasi is back to 100 now they'll be good. Losing a player like Stamkos isn't easy. Rocks the room and think he's better than Guentzel. Bruins will likely be the same, Florida lost alot on the back end and had two long runs but they're the Champs. Actually love the leafs offseason. I personally see 6 locks for the playoffs with 2 spots up for grabs.

Atlantic in:
Leafs, Bruins, Panthers

Metro in:
NYR, Canes, Devils

Wild card teams with a real shot for the last 2 spots.
Buffalo, Tampa, Ottawa, NYI, Pittsburgh

Pretenders:
Columbus, Philly, Detroit, Montreal, Washington

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
I hated Tampas offseason. But if Vasi is back to 100 now they'll be good. Losing a player like Stamkos isn't easy. Rocks the room and think he's better than Guentzel. Bruins will likely be the same, Florida lost alot on the back end and had two long runs but they're the Champs. Actually love the leafs offseason. I personally see 6 locks for the playoffs with 2 spots up for grabs.

Atlantic in:
Leafs, Bruins, Panthers

Metro in:
NYR, Canes, Devils

Pretenders:
Agree with most of what you said. I do think Detroit and Washington will be right there in the wild card hunt though.

Reactions: bert

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Agree with most of what you said. I do think Detroit and Washington will be right there in the wild card hunt though.
Detroits goaltending is so bad. Love Larkin and Raymond but dont like the forward group, not much speed or play driving, D core isnt deep. I dont see it. Washington wont get that level of goaltending again, they have a better team but that last season was an anomaly. No game breaking forwards. I really think that Buffalo, Tampa, Ottawa and the Islanders are in a different tier from a talent and team make up stand point. Just cant count out any team with Crosby.

Reactions: BigRig4

sena

Jul 3, 2024

Atlantic in:
Leafs, Bruins, Panthers

Metro in:
NYR, Canes, Devils

Pretenders:
Half of Stamkos points came on the PP he is old and lost a step, Jake is better and like 5 years younger.

Reactions: DrEasy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad