Prospect Info: Oilers Rookie at the Penticton Young Stars Classic

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Let's remember that picking Savoie up was a cap dump on our part, trying to scrounge up what we could. Looking at this unbiased, we have nobody except this O'Reilly kid and Akey who have a shot of being an impact NHL player at some point.

The guys can barely move out there. I know as fans of the club we need to be looking at our prospects and HOPE-ing they pan out and bring us great success. Fact of the matter is it's looking grim. Yadda yadda one rookie tournament game. Lots of these guys have been to two or three of these at this point and are nothing players. Just how it is, and that's normal for any team.

Last year Holloway put on a clinic in this tournament and showed he is leagues ahead of the rest. Even then he was in the AHL all year and struggled at the NHL level. Nobody in the group resembles anything near the level of Holloway, use that as your barometer.
Man I dunno if Savoie just rusty or doesnt have much compete. The guy looks like hes just coasting out there. The opposite of Holloway.
Local boy, you would think he would have some get up in these games. I dont see it. Not skating, not stickhandling, sort of ho hum in 2 games. Minus the one good sequence on the assist. Might need a system in place to see him shine at the main camp.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Man I dunno if Savoie just rusty or doesnt have much compete. The guy looks like hes just coasting out there. The opposite of Holloway.
Local boy, you would think he would have some get up in these games. I dont see it. Not skating, not stickhandling, sort of ho hum in 2 games. Minus the one good sequence on the assist. Might need a system in place to see him shine at the main camp.

Every single player is playing with their teammates for the first time ever. Most haven't played a game of hockey in 4 months.

It's not hard to see the best players in these tournaments are almost always AHL guys with experience.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Yeah Wanner isn't making the Oilers anytime soon.
People put way too much into this tournament. Many of these guys haven't played a game in months and it takes a few weeks not a few days to get timing and everything back. Let him get to camp and get in game shape before we try to evaluate how close he is to NHL ready. He was never making the team out of camp anyways.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
The overreactions continue on from this meaningless tournament, jfc lol.

giphy.gif

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
The overreactions continue on from this meaningless tournament, jfc lol.

giphy.gif
It's fine to critique guys for maybe not looking good, but I love the definitive statements that write off a player for several years or claim they'll never amount to anything. If you've never played hockey you really shouldn't make statements like this about players in their first games back from summer. People usually look awful coming out of summer the first few weeks until they get back into things. Anyone who has played years of hockey should understand this concept.

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
It's fine to critique guys for maybe not looking good, but I love the definitive statements that write off a player for several years or claim they'll never amount to anything. If you've never played hockey you really shouldn't make statements like this about players in their first games back from summer. People usually look awful coming out of summer the first few weeks until they get back into things. Anyone who has played years of hockey should understand this concept.
No one is writing off anyone. This is a tournament thread. Opinions are allowed.

Reactions: McDoused

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
I only watched Savoie before, two games during the Moose Jaw vs Brandon series last playoffs.
He did not leave a good impression on me. Although both games were Moose Jaw running up the score so it wasn't the best game to judge a player.

He kept trying to sneak behind the defense in the ozone but it took him way out of position.. not in the right spots to get rebounds, tips, or even board passes. Nullifying himself

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
No one is writing off anyone. This is a tournament thread. Opinions are allowed.
"yeah wanner isn't close to making the Oilers" is the exact type of post I'm talking about and there's been plenty just like this with some even saying Savoie is a bust in last game's thread. So actually you're wrong people are trying to make long term predictions from these meaningless games. If you haven't watched any of these players outside of this tournament it's laughable that you'd have any kind of opinion on their potential or NHL readiness. Some people just love to feel like they have a clue what they're talking about, and that might come off harsh, but some of the comments I've ready show an incredible lack of understanding of many things hockey related.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Sam O'Rielly looking special defensively.
Looks like a guy with very good hockey IQ and understanding where to be on the ice. He's a nice safe bet from the Oilers as a piece that can help them in the McDrai era as an important depth piece. If he can get bigger, stronger, and faster he looks like a guy who could fit a 3rd line shutdown role that can chip in offensively.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Edm don’t have many good prospects right now and it shows.
Definitely true. The thing they do have going for them is free agents seem to be willing to sign here at discounts and so really they just need a few prospects to be cheap depth fill ins. Which is what we hoped Broberg and Holloway would be until they priced themselves out. The nice thing about Savoie is he still had 3 ELC years which will be a nice bargain if he can be a contributor for 1-2 of those years.

walktheboulavard

Jul 8, 2016
Looks like a guy with very good hockey IQ and understanding where to be on the ice. He's a nice safe bet from the Oilers as a piece that can help them in the McDrai era as an important depth piece. If he can get bigger, stronger, and faster he looks like a guy who could fit a 3rd line shutdown role that can chip in offensively.

Agreed, he's only 18 so plenty of room for growth physically. It's impressive. He's advanced in those areas young forwards often struggle in.

Reactions: Giggleplex

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad