Oilers waive Jack Campbell

helloconga

Oct 12, 2023
Florida
Worst contract in the league?
5 years 5M and have the player in the first year of the contract immediately underperform? Starter money for horrible backup level quality play.

The team was desperate for goaltending help when they signed it... but it always seemed like way too much money and term for an unproven quantity.

The contract really sinks the Oilers Cup contention window. Everyone involved in signing this contract should be fired too.
while demko is signed to the same contract $5mil for 5 years and he still has three years left … complete different value

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Not the first time this NON-STARTER has been waived/demoted/benched. The story of his whole career really. And this is the f***in seive Holland commited 5Mx5 to.

Holland should feel shame signing these waiver papers. Anyone involved in recommending Campbell despite the analytics AND eye test AND career history AND psychological evaluation throwing up red flags, should be FIRED.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Skinner has been a worse goalie over about his last 20 games and Campbell stinks.

In typical oiler fashion the guy that really deserves to get it in the neck skates and the easy victim gets the knife in the back.
Skinner is a young goalie with room to grow...Campbell isnt.
Campbell also has a hideous contract.
The choice was easy.

On top of all that I almost look at this like pulling a goalie in a game. Sometimes its his fault that he was pulled...sometimes it wasnt.
That aside it usually shocks the team enough to get a response.
I see this as that kind of a move as well.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Campbell has been shit since day 1. He nearly cost the Oilers a playoff spot last year. Waiving Skinner would be stupid because someone might actually claim him.

The other difference is that Campbell is supposed to be the starter. Hes supposed to be better than Skinner.

Both of them are frankly terrible. But the team infront does help either.

Reactions: RegDunlop

Billy Barou

Mar 4, 2011
Skinner has been a worse goalie over about his last 20 games and Campbell stinks.

In typical oiler fashion the guy that really deserves to get it in the neck skates and the easy victim gets the knife in
Not the first time this NON-STARTER has been waived/demoted/benched. The story of his whole career really. And this is the f***in seive Holland commited 5Mx5 to.

Holland should feel shame signing these waiver papers. Anyone involved in recommending Campbell despite the analytics AND eye test AND career history AND psychological evaluation throwing up red flags, should be FIRED.
I can’t upvote this enough. Never in his career was he a starter!! No idea what Holland was thinking. Agreed that everyone involved needs to be removed from ever making a hockey decision again.

Some people saying Campbell has been better than Skinner? What are you smoking!?

helloconga

Oct 12, 2023
Florida
i remember when soup got signed a leafs fan on the board said :

“Good luck Soup. Outstanding person.

That said, this contract is abhorrent and I am glad it was not us to signed it. He's a backup at best. Oilers fans will learn”

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
feel for the guy, but he is not nhl material.
He was before he came to Edmonton and Schwartz and behind the Oilers defense.
Not that I don't blame Campbell for his failure but something about this place creates a goalie graveyard.

• Love
Reactions: Oilhawks

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
why is it sad? Smith is a solid goalie
He was a good goalie for sure. I think the thing that makes it "sad" is that he was 37-40 years old during his time here and has outperformed guys in their physical primes.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
The other difference is that Campbell is supposed to be the starter. Hes supposed to be better than Skinner.

Both of them are frankly terrible. But the team infront does help either.
Exactly, Skinner is being forced into a role he’s not meant for because the guy signed to be the starter has been horrible.

Not every young goalie is Cam Ward or Jordan Binnington.

K1900L

Dec 27, 2019
I think this is the right move, but I'm not cynical towards Campbell: this team hasn't been able to make a goalie look above average for 6 or 7 years straight, and this won't magically change simply due to this choice.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Gang...

Would it be possible for us to arrange a trade where team X claims him on recall in exchange for assets from Edmonton? Thereby we are retaining 50% without using up a spot?

And then what would happen if Team X then buys him out this summer? Do we retain 50% of the buyout penalty?

Who is creative with the cap?

Nevermind... I was getting pretty excited reading this until the final sentence. I guess I'm living in the past:

The procedure to make a claim on re-entry waivers is the same; however, teams who claim players on re-entry waivers are only responsible for half the salary and cap hit, while the original team is responsible for the other half, unless the claimed player is later assigned to the AHL again before his contract has expired, in which case the salary and cap hit comes off the books of both teams.

The CBA ratified in January 2013 eliminated re-entry waivers.[7]

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
He was before he came to Edmonton and Schwartz and behind the Oilers defense.
Not that I don't blame Campbell for his failure but something about this place creates a goalie graveyard.
If Campbell was an NHL goalie before he got here then it was as a backup.
He certainly isnt and never has been an NHL starting goalie.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

To be fair, I don't really either.

Thanks for posting that.
He looks to be quite athletic. Good lateral movement and he never gives up on the play.

In those short clips his game seems to be calm...doesnt seem erratic (ie...a lot of movement).

Last edited:

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Gang...

Would it be possible for us to arrange a trade where team X claims him on recall in exchange for assets from Edmonton? Thereby we are retaining 50% without using up a spot?

And then what would happen if Team X then buys him out this summer? Do we retain 50% of the buyout penalty?

Who is creative with the cap?
You can trade a player and have another team buy him out. You don’t get the cap penalty. Detroit did it was Yamo

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
I can’t upvote this enough. Never in his career was he a starter!! No idea what Holland was thinking. Agreed that everyone involved needs to be removed from ever making a hockey decision again.

Some people saying Campbell has been better than Skinner? What are you smoking!?
the maple leafs who have had similar goalie issues to us for a decade decided they would rather have 2 new goalies one being perennial IR player instead of campbell, that should have been ultra-mega-red-flag #1

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
You can trade a player and have another team buy him out. You don’t get the cap penalty. Detroit did it was Yamo
Yeah, the only time a cap-penalty seems to be attributed to the team trading the player away is in a case like the Blackhawks taking the recapture for Keith retiring.

mkatcherin00

Apr 2, 2023
the maple leafs who have had similar goalie issues to us for a decade decided they would rather have 2 new goalies one being perennial IR player instead of campbell, that should have been ultra-mega-red-flag #1
Then why did they try to sign Campbell? I think it was for a tad under 3 million?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad