Oilers waive Jack Campbell

Vagabond

Dec 24, 2004
Edmonton
The fact that there is no immediate recall leads me to believe there is a trade happening?

If it was an assignment and promotion, they'd typically just be released at the same time.

Campbell down, Pickard up etc.

Most insiders are saying Pickard is coming up.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I don't believe this is true? That means if they waived him on a game day they'd be unable to dress two goalies. I think once he goes on waivers, his roster spot is opened up.
Yeah they couldn’t waive him on a game day. You can’t even get a guy to the game on time in that situation.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Worst contract in the league?
5 years 5M and have the player in the first year of the contract immediately underperform? Starter money for horrible backup level quality play.

The team was desperate for goaltending help when they signed it... but it always seemed like way too much money and term for an unproven quantity.

The contract really sinks the Oilers Cup contention window. Everyone involved in signing this contract should be fired too.
Completely agree.
There was no justification for signing Campbell to that contract. As you said it was a move of desperation by a GM who is well past his best before date as a General Manager.

Reactions: RegDunlop

Garbo Man

Meh
Oct 15, 2017
Sherwood Park
I'll say this, I don't think Campbell has been as bad as his numbers say he is. I feel the same way about Skinner. I think our defense has been abysmally bad, like our team defense has probably been the worst in the league aside from SJ. Our entire team just lets players walk in and get grade A chances. I feel bad for both goalies and while I don't think either of them deserve this, I will say that when you look across the rink and see Demko making massive saves (or any other goaltender on the other team for that matter) it gets hard, and I mean REALLY hard, not to pile on to our goaltenders so I understand the frustration and I'm right there with everyone. Sometimes you just need that save on a grade A chance and right now we're not getting that. As much as I feel for both the goalies something needed to change and Campbell is honestly the easy target. The real issue in my mind is team defense and the fact that everytime we get a f***ing goalie, it doesn't matter how good or shit they are, as soon as Schwartz works with them they turn into a pumpkin. There's absolutely NO REASON that that idiot should still have a Job and the fact that we go through goalie after goalie after goalie and every single one of them get ran out of town for the EXACT same reasons and issues and Schwartz, being the common denominator, for each of these goalies(aside from Smith who surprise surprise, was the best of the goalies we've had in a little while) IS STILL EMPLOYED is an absolute embarrassment.

Patch101

Feb 27, 2002
Kamloops
Mike Smith is the best goalie this team has had post Talbot 2017.

How sad is that.

best goalie, sure .... true goalie probably Roloson. Honestly. Dubby had a chance if he was developed correctly.

People wanting to waive Skinner, ugh. No. Don't be silly.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Campbell earned this demotion, and if it was a true merit based decision process half the team would be waived alongside him.
Campbell played one game in last two weeks and wasn't the goalie torched alive for 6 goals last night.

Apparently Campbell being sent down because the Oilers forgot they actually have to expend some effort to beat Nashville, and there was the one bad wrap around goal. Albeit thats on Forsberg at speed who is good at wraparounds. Probably scores on that if its Skinner as well.

Thing is Skinner got 3 starts in a row and Campbell was parked for close to two weeks. Campbell had 5 starts this seasson. Played excellent in one and OK in a couple others. Considering how shit the team has been playing its some scapegoating going on. As you mention we won't be sending half a dozen players down.

Hemsky4pm2

Dec 2, 2017
No shock. If they make a trade it will be for Jake Allen. Could they sign Halak from under the Canes noses or does that PTO shield him? At least the team is making some tough decisions (even though it is a no brainer). Anyone involved in that signing should be axed too. Campbell seems like Jim Carey, very happy to be generationally wealthy but probably hates the pressure of pro sports.

• Haha
Reactions: Oilhawk

Patch101

Feb 27, 2002
Kamloops
what would the sweetener for Mzarek for campbell to the hawks. Mzarek has had a great start to the year and the hawks give up the 2nd most HD chances in the league. he makes 3.8 and is UFA after this season.

Mzarek, another questionable guy. I'd straight swap to get some money back, but I wouldn't pay much more on top. Same with Jake Allen, fringe starter type. noo....

Legit question, what do people think the odds are the Oilers made the call to Smith and asked if he was still skating 😂.

hah, zero. Guy's health finished him. He was the type to go till the legs fell off .... and they did.

Reactions: McBigYak

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
what would the sweetener for Mzarek for campbell to the hawks. Mzarek has had a great start to the year and the hawks give up the 2nd most HD chances in the league. he makes 3.8 and is UFA after this season.
Mrazek is a solid vet goalie. He would be a great fit here short term.
He has shown that he can post above .900 sv% numbers for at least 50 games.

Not sure if the injuries have caught up with him though.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Anybody thinking Skinner starting every game now for awhile is a great thing didn't watch the game last night or particularly the entire first period. Listless Nucks who weren't even checked into the game pumped 3 goals past Skinner on 3 scoring chances on 5-6 shots and almost got two more but missed the net as Skinner was swimming around. The near 4th goal was epic bad. Skinner trying to crawl in the ice while the Nuck fires a puck over the net with 80% of the net wide open. The sequence was so bad it was scary. Skinner shitting his pants.

Now we know why Skinner was still in net in 2nd period, and that stinks too because the club knew they were doing this yesterday. Campbell was just there occupying a spot. Skinner could let 10 goals in and no goalie hook was happening...

The open question being is how does the org think that Skinner is earning starts? He hasn't been earning them since April.

Last edited:

CROTT

Aug 25, 2007
Edmonton
I would post the kid tripping after the dentist meme, but I’ll save that for Schwartz being fired.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
He was the best FA bet at the time, alternate option being Husso ... who is proving to not also be a starter for Det.

Kuemper was available.

Cam Talbot could've been had too as a cheaper interim option to play with Skinner.

This is Holland's fault and he will have to own it.

McBeastMode

Dec 29, 2012
Beside my neighbor..
I guess he was wrong..
F-WnraMWkAEjJxS .jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad