Oilers waive Jack Campbell

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
Has this ever happened before?
A goalie signed to a 5 year contract and then waived after playing barely 1 season?

The Kings sent Cal Petterson to the minors only 10 games into his three year, $15 million contract and then dumped him at the end of last season.

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
I wonder if dirty dusty helped scout Campbell in the first place. Probably did. Absolute trash can coach, no shame either, dude should just quit if they won’t fire him.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I think its a step in the right direction. Team needed to do something. I think theres too many guys on this team who feel comfortable. Hopefully the message gets sent.

As bad as Campbell has been, the team hasnt made it that easy on him either. I hope this is a wake up call. I hope the players feel ashamed. Because they play a large part of this.

Hopefully Skinner is feeling the heat. Because hes been as bad as Campbell (if not worse).

And can we please fire Schwartz. Good lord.

I wouldnt be surprised if Holland/Jackson are trying to make a goalie trade now. If they somehow manage to trade Campbell, its going to be so expensive lol

Last edited:
Reactions: Oilhawks and Ibanez

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

Don’t hold your breath on Pickard saving the day. Especially with our shitty D play and zero accountability coaching.

Reactions: Faelko

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I just feel bad for whoever they call up. Skinner is more than likely going to start every game until a trade can be worked out, so with both guys playing well in the AHL, one is going to be promoted to bench warmer until skinner plays so poorly he gets pulled, only for the fans to realize the guy we called up either straight up isn’t and never has been good enough for the NHL, or a young guy who just started finding his game again after being demoted to the ECHL two seasons ago.

Neither is a good bet to be even as good as the two sad goaltenders we have right now, but I’d guess they’d be better off letting rodrigue keep building upon his recent solid play and call up Pickard to warm the bench.

I know it wont happen but I hope Pickard/Rodrigue play SJ and a bunch of games. Let Skinner watch.

Hemsky4pm2

Dec 2, 2017
Closest comparison to Campbell is Bryzgalov in Philly. Bryz was bought out of the final 7 years of a 9 year deal. So...the Campbell signing is only the second worst goaltender UFA signing in NHL history? Maybe we can put DiPietro in there too, but his demise was due to injury and he was signed at the owner's explicit instruction.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
The Kings sent Cal Petterson to the minors only 10 games into his three year, $15 million contract and then dumped him at the end of last season.
Wow...okay.
Not quite as monumental as the Campbell contract but still an admission of failure by the GM there.

Mr. Cal Peterson has entered the chat. (Though I think his deal is shorter).
Yeah...just saw @OilerTyler 's post about this. 3 year contact for $15M and waived.
Holland saw that and said...hold my beer.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

Sending Campbell “down” for 1 game in Abbotsford (essentially he’s staying in Vancouver) and having him rejoin the team in Seattle would be so on script for the Oilers as would having Pickard drive 3.5 hours up to San Jose and sit on the bench for a game and drive back to Bako after the game.

Reactions: TB12 and Faelko

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Closest comparison to Campbell is Bryzgalov in Philly. Bryz was bought out of the final 7 years of a 9 year deal. So...the Campbell signing is only the second worst goaltender UFA signing in NHL history? Maybe we can put DiPietro in there too, but his demise was due to injury and he was signed at the owner's explicit instruction.
Yes...forgot about Bryz.
So Holland came in second. :D

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Holland one upped the Koskinen contract. Will another GM seal their faith with a goalie fail.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Skinner has been a worse goalie over about his last 20 games and Campbell stinks.

In typical oiler fashion the guy that really deserves to get it in the neck skates and the easy victim gets the knife in the back.

Reactions: Sheikyerbouti

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
The fact that there is no immediate recall leads me to believe there is a trade happening?

If it was an assignment and promotion, they'd typically just be released at the same time.

Campbell down, Pickard up etc.

Gang...

Would it be possible for us to arrange a trade where team X claims him on recall in exchange for assets from Edmonton? Thereby we are retaining 50% without using up a spot?

And then what would happen if Team X then buys him out this summer? Do we retain 50% of the buyout penalty?

Who is creative with the cap?

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Skinner has been a worse goalie over about his last 20 games and Campbell stinks.

In typical oiler fashion the guy that really deserves to get it in the neck skates and the easy victim gets the knife in the back.
Campbell has been shit since day 1. He nearly cost the Oilers a playoff spot last year. Waiving Skinner would be stupid because someone might actually claim him.

Reactions: CornKicker

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad