Oilers waive Jack Campbell

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
I doubt it happens, most likely the guy gets bought out in the summer. But honestly the guy is too mentally fragile to be a good consistent goaltender in the NHL, I see it as a win win, he gets his paycheck without having to ride the bus in the AHL and the Oilers get cap relief.

With Campbell’s buyout the Oilers are going to have close to $8M in dead cap space. Thanks Holland

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Jack problem is his fragile mentality tbh. Worst I've seen.

I'd bet you money that if he plays for a bad team with a soft fan base with nothing on the line that he'd be good.

So as funny as it is to think that if San Jose took him and played ... I bet he'd be good.

I could totally see him going to San Jose and inexplicably putting up like .905 or something half way decent because of zero pressure and expectation.

With Campbell’s buyout the Oilers are going to have close to $8M in dead cap space. Thanks Holland

IMO I think you have to try to hope he gets his game together in the AHL and make a trade, even at $1.5 million retained, that's better than a buy-out.

And Brown thing, you have to get under the cap to pay the bonus this year (as much of it as possible).

That much dead cap is not acceptable for next year, the Oilers are probably sobering up right now and have to realize that. Even if Holland is too stupid to understand it, Jeff Jackson should understand it as he's going to be stuck with that mess and it's his ass on the line then next year.

Reactions: Patch101

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
They aren't related in any way.

I'm only saying it since with $3.9 of cap relief and the fact that Brown's bonus (assuming it converts) will introduce about $3M in overages that will come out next years cap, I'm just saying it's a way to get that cap back minus whatever we need to end up paying the replacement goalie.
I get what you’re saying- but it doesn’t quite work that way. Essentially, you’re saying with Campbell’s cap savings it would net out Brown’s overages vs if Campbell stayed on the roster. Problem is- he should have never been on the roster in the first place and his signing is adding to our close to 8M of dead cap we will have next year

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I can't help but compare this to Cal Peterson getting buried by the Kings last season. It makes me wonder if Campbell plays here again.

The only issue is we don't have a goalie to come in and fix things. We may call up Campbell before long. If we are thinking Pickard or Rodrigue will stabilize things, that's a heil Mary at best

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I can't help but compare this to Cal Peterson getting buried by the Kings last season. It makes me wonder if Campbell plays here again.

The only issue is we don't have a goalie to come in and fix things. We may call up Campbell before long. If we are thinking Pickard or Rodrigue will stabilize things, that's a heil Mary at best
He should not, this should be the end of his time in Edmonton

Reactions: Ragdoll and guymez

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton

I don't think it's quite that bad. Campbell's buyout would only leave us with $1.1 million in dead cap next season. Neal (which isn't really Holland's fault) has one more year after this one with $1.9 million in dead space. Add on Brown's $3.225 million and that puts us at $6.225 million in dead cap.

That's assuming we finish this season with zero cap space (unlikely) and can't put any of Brown's bonus on this season's cap.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I'm OK with Campbell playing again if the season is a wash out.

You might as well try to get him going some and maybe he can boost his numbers to something half way respectable.

A buy out is terrible, $2+ million in dead cap in year's we need to sign Drai and McDavid should get Holland put into a catapult and launched out of town.

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
Calvin Pickard = Owns a projectable frame, as well as the ability to be a workhorse starting netminder at lower levels. Is fairly economical in his overall movement in the crease area. Could stand to fill out his 6-1 frame even more in order to maximize output at the National Hockey League level. Must also curb his penchant for letting in soft goals.

I gotta say, his scouting report doesn't ring confidence.
The f*** is a "projectable frame"??

Some of these scouts love the smell of their own farts. Just missing a "he has an ugly gf, so that means he lacks confidence" quote in there.

Ragdoll

Feb 15, 2018
Thats a route for Jack to take not the Oilers, IF he needs it.

As someone who struggles with mental health issues such as anxiety, agoraphobia and depression it's not for my employer to decide anything with regards to my mental health. It's my decision. Jack will step away if he needs to, not because the Oilers make him.
Oh of course, I’m sure Drouin asked for the leave and as would Campbell in this scenario. As much as the Oilers are struggling, I don’t think they would be scumbags and force him to leave.

Isn’t the buyout penalty just 1.5m per year for whatever amount of seasons? You’re talking about total amount right?

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
When I heard there was Oiler news I was hoping Woody got the axe. Campbell is cooked, with his fragile mental state I don’t see him coming back as an improved player. Hope I’m wrong.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Here is a link to one of the sources citing the Oilers chose Campbell over Kuemper in part due to Dustin Schwartz's reccomendation:

In the last Live Room chat with host Israel Fehr, I was asked why the Oilers targeted Jack Campbell in free agency when Darcy Kuemper — someone they’d previously tried to acquire via trade — was also on the market. It’s something I’d wondered myself and, aside from Campbell’s slightly lower cap hit, something for which I didn’t have an adequate answer.

Well, here it is. In asking around, the Oilers like Campbell better than Kuemper. They feel like Campbell’s a more consistent netminder, his highs in performance are higher and his rebound control is better. Goaltending coach Dustin Schwartz studied hours and hours worth of video and was a key factor in the recommendation of Campbell over Kuemper. The Oilers were also more concerned about injuries with Kuemper than with Campbell.

Clearly the Oilers value Kuemper or else they wouldn’t have tried to pry him loose in a trade from the Coyotes last summer. Campbell wasn’t available 15 months ago, though.

He was in July, and the Oilers are banking on him big time over the next five years.

• Haha
Reactions: McDNicks17

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
I seen this on X I think this person may be on to something

1699407788642.png

oilexport

Aug 29, 2010
One thing is clear. We destroy mediocre goaltenders. Our run and gun attitude and lack of so many other things like scouting and team defence, have resulted in this mess.

Being rewarded with some 1st overall picks, has built our team with bad fundamentals. We can't count on losing, to build a winner.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I'm OK with Campbell playing again if the season is a wash out.

You might as well try to get him going some and maybe he can boost his numbers to something half way respectable.

A buy out is terrible, $2+ million in dead cap in year's we need to sign Drai and McDavid should get Holland put into a catapult and launched out of town.
8M in dead cap space for next season is obscene but I think it will be the reality.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

View attachment 764703

I don't buy it. This is simply what happens when an organization is too stupid to understand how to build a defense and find a goalie even after 9 years.

I said it many times it would blow up in the Oilers face if they did not course adjust and take it seriously.

8M in dead cap space for next season is obscene but I think it will be the reality.

If you're Jeff Jackson you can't allow that. That's your ass there buddy, there ain't gonna be a Holland to hide behind next summer when the media is grilling you to make improvements *now*.

Especially if this season is a wash, then dump whatever salary you have to in order to pay off Brown's overage, or if you want to actually be Vegas cold, simply don't let him play his 10th game and/or come to an agreement to cancel his contract and let him go play elsewhere.

Mcnofool6110

Re-defining Rock Bottom since '07
Dec 7, 2011
Sydney
Yknow I think Campbell would do really well on San Jose.
In fact, if Mike Grier is reading this, I think it would be stupid, nay, irresponsible for him not to pick up Campbell for his team.
Thats right, Mike Grier, former Edmonton Oiler, we are doing your team a favour. Pick up Campbell. We're doing it for you, you see.

• Haha
Reactions: McOilers97 and TB12

Oilers333

Jul 8, 2022

View attachment 764703
This is silly. These are all professional athletes who have been under immense pressure basically their entire lives. A big part of why they rose above everyone else and made the NHL is their ability to deal with pressure.

Now people want to think saying cup or bust has put such a strain on this team that they cant handle it. Thats a stretch for sure.

Excuses like this are just made up by people who dont want to admit the team is just not very good when Mcdavid and Draistl aren't going nuclear carrying them on their back.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Yknow I think Campbell would do really well on San Jose.
In fact, if Mike Grier is reading this, I think it would be stupid, nay, irresponsible for him not to pick up Campbell for his team.
Thats right, Mike Grier, former Edmonton Oiler, we are doing your team a favour. Pick up Campbell. We're doing it for you, you see.
Then it’s probably no wonder SJS are as bad as they are. :)

Reactions: Mcnofool6110

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad