Oilers waive Jack Campbell

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Oilers waive Campbell, Skinner, Brown, McLeod and Nurse. lol. Sign Patrick kane.

He could enjoy bus rides too. They are in the scenic environment.
I love all the sites in California and he will too--if he hasn't seen them already. Life is short--take your cash and enjoy it.

Inanna

Liberal Arts Instructor
Sponsor
Aug 29, 2022
Barrie, ON
We blamed:
Dubnyk
Talbot
Koskisken
Smith
Campbell (was trending down when we got him)
and to a lesser extent Skinner ( he's in his sophomore season)

Get a good Fkn D corp for once . It's not always aboout the goalies except Campbell who looked like s*** from the start so I'm fine with him going to the Condors.
You left out Laurent Brossoit who spent more than 3 seasons with the Oilers, got cast aside, and wound up winning a Stanley Cup ring with the Golden Knights.

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
Capologists - what are the cap implications of this move? IF he stays there for the rest of his contract, does that mean we save $5 Million per season?
Any player that makes over $1,150,000 has a buried cap hit of: (salary - $1,150,000). So Campbell counts as $5m - $1.15m = $3.85m against the cap.

Reactions: PinSeeker

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Nope. Only $1.15M. But that doesn't matter. If he can't find his game down there, he'll either be traded with assets tied to him or bought out.

Here's how a buyout looks. It's actually not too bad as it eats up all of the Brown hit next season, then has a $2.5M hit the next two years which are likely years with pretty large cap increases.

View attachment 764534
I thought the cap savings hit went up to 1.25M this year or are you prorating it to account for the 11 games already played.

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
I thought the cap savings hit went up to 1.25M this year or are you prorating it to account for the 11 games already played.

Reactions: MoontoScott

Duder54

Dec 11, 2017
Canadian ex-pat in Zurich, Switzerland
We blamed:
Dubnyk
Talbot
Koskisken
Smith
Campbell (was trending down when we got him)
and to a lesser extent Skinner ( he's in his sophomore season)

Get a good Fkn D corp for once . It's not always aboout the goalies except Campbell who looked like s*** from the start so I'm fine with him going to the Condors.
This. All of this.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Good stuff but please explain how a buyout of Campbell's contract would effect Brown's cap hit (as per your earlier post). I don't know this cap stuff as well as you do.
They aren't related in any way.

I'm only saying it since with $3.9 of cap relief and the fact that Brown's bonus (assuming it converts) will introduce about $3M in overages that will come out next years cap, I'm just saying it's a way to get that cap back minus whatever we need to end up paying the replacement goalie.

Reactions: MoontoScott

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Seems like a good time to try out an up and coming goalie coach down in Bako and bring up Rodrigue Sr. with Pickard.

"Promote" Schwartz to just scouting and consulting in the meantime.

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
I'd like to hear from the guy who signed Campbell to that contract. About time he stood up and defended some of his moves.
Well it was Holland with a strong input from Schwartz. Iam sure Dustin will wind up in the Oilers HOF one day

trick91

Jun 7, 2012
Seems like a good time to try out an up and coming goalie coach down in Bako and bring up Rodrigue Sr. with Pickard.

"Promote" Schwartz to just scouting and consulting in the meantime.
That just makes too much sense. Watch Skinner start on Thursday.

• Haha
Reactions: frag2

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Well it was Holland with a strong input from Schwartz. Iam sure Dustin will wind up in the Oilers HOF one day
Oh, we all know it was Holland who pulled the trigger, my comment was more rhetorical. Ken is content to sit back and let everyone squirm. He knows it's his last year, and, to use the words of Drai, it's cup or bust. If the team would have come out gangbusters this year and gone all the way to winning the cup, he'd be like a proud papa, thinking this is the best way to go out. But it's looking strongly like a bust, and he can just exit stage left with no repercussions and get the hell out of town.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Oh, you know if things continue to go sideways and with no hope, he'll just hightail it out of town and escape the heat.
I don't think he needs to worry too much. I don't think Katz will let him be fired. Both of these guys have golfed with Wayne??

Reactions: Stoneman89

Ragdoll

Feb 15, 2018
Not to make light of the situation but is there ANY way they can LTIR this guy at some point? He’s always been incredibly hard on himself and it seems to take a toll on him mentally. Didn’t Drouin LTIR himself because of mental health? Is this a route the Oilers could take?

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I wonder if Campbell will get an appreciation thread after we buy him out. Hopefully someone can go thru video of his time as an Oiler and put together a 10 second video of all the saves he made for us.

Not to make light of the situation but is there ANY way they can LTIR this guy at some point? He’s always been incredibly hard on himself and it seems to take a toll on him mentally. Didn’t Drouin LTIR himself because of mental health? Is this a route the Oilers could take?
Just plant some pain killers in his bag like what happened to Richards

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
That might just be crazy enough to work! You've just been promoted to assistant of hockey ops!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad