Oilers waive Jack Campbell

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
I wonder if Campbell will get an appreciation thread after we buy him out. Hopefully someone can go thru video of his time as an Oiler and put together a 10 second video of all the saves he made for us.

Just plant some pain killers in his bag like what happened to Richards
Once an Oiler, always an Oiler.

trick91

Jun 7, 2012
How can it get any worse when it's already bottom of the league.

Was Picard decent in the preseason?

Ragdoll

Feb 15, 2018
That might just be crazy enough to work! You've just been promoted to assistant of hockey ops!
I doubt it happens, most likely the guy gets bought out in the summer. But honestly the guy is too mentally fragile to be a good consistent goaltender in the NHL, I see it as a win win, he gets his paycheck without having to ride the bus in the AHL and the Oilers get cap relief.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
Worst contract in the league?
5 years 5M and have the player in the first year of the contract immediately underperform? Starter money for horrible backup level quality play.

The team was desperate for goaltending help when they signed it... but it always seemed like way too much money and term for an unproven quantity.

The contract really sinks the Oilers Cup contention window. Everyone involved in signing this contract should be fired too.
Who’s going to be held accountable for this abomination of a signing? Wasting $5M in cap space like this will ensure no cup and we should start looking at moving McDavid and Drai.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
I realized the wife hadn’t had a donair this year. I rectified that so it should be all good.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
With his cap hit and poor last season this isn't that surprising. Too bad we don't have the balls to send down Brown and trade for a legit #1 goalie. We should be moving Heaven and Earth to land Ullmark.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Not to make light of the situation but is there ANY way they can LTIR this guy at some point? He’s always been incredibly hard on himself and it seems to take a toll on him mentally. Didn’t Drouin LTIR himself because of mental health? Is this a route the Oilers could take?
Thats a route for Jack to take not the Oilers, IF he needs it.

As someone who struggles with mental health issues such as anxiety, agoraphobia and depression it's not for my employer to decide anything with regards to my mental health. It's my decision. Jack will step away if he needs to, not because the Oilers make him.

Mav3rick07

Jul 28, 2007
Calvin Pickard = Owns a projectable frame, as well as the ability to be a workhorse starting netminder at lower levels. Is fairly economical in his overall movement in the crease area. Could stand to fill out his 6-1 frame even more in order to maximize output at the National Hockey League level. Must also curb his penchant for letting in soft goals.

I gotta say, his scouting report doesn't ring confidence.

Patch101

Feb 27, 2002
Kamloops
Jack problem is his fragile mentality tbh. Worst I've seen.

I'd bet you money that if he plays for a bad team with a soft fan base with nothing on the line that he'd be good.

So as funny as it is to think that if San Jose took him and played ... I bet he'd be good.

Reactions: Ciao and Mav3rick07

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Mike Smith is the best goalie this team has had post Talbot 2017.

How sad is that.
It's very sad.

I don't understand the Oilers' organization and goaltending. So, going back to 2017 or whenever it was, Chiarelli---completely out of the blue and for no apparent reason---gave Koskinen that 4-year deal that massively overpaid him. (Koskinen wasn't too bad, I thought, but had the "Oiler goalie tendency" to give up one back-breaking goal per game.)

Then, they seemed to decide rather than acquiring a young prospect or a career-peaking goalie, the best thing was to keep contracting a 40-year-old whose tendency was to give pucks away from over-aggressive play.

Two summers ago they suddenly gave Campbell a half-decade contract because... why? I didn't mind so much that they signed Campbell, as it seemed like he was experienced and could handle a high-pressure market, etc., but the craziness was the 5-year aspect. I'm pretty sure they could have negotiated him down from that, since I'm sure no other club was offering anything remotely close. But if there's one thing we've learned, it's that Holland likes his long-term contracts to veterans.

It's just seems like, for the past 6-7 years, they're always acting from a position of desperation re: goaltenders.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad