Oilers waive Jack Campbell

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Here is a link to one of the sources citing the Oilers chose Campbell over Kuemper in part due to Dustin Schwartz's reccomendation:

In the last Live Room chat with host Israel Fehr, I was asked why the Oilers targeted Jack Campbell in free agency when Darcy Kuemper — someone they’d previously tried to acquire via trade — was also on the market. It’s something I’d wondered myself and, aside from Campbell’s slightly lower cap hit, something for which I didn’t have an adequate answer.

Well, here it is. In asking around, the Oilers like Campbell better than Kuemper. They feel like Campbell’s a more consistent netminder, his highs in performance are higher and his rebound control is better. Goaltending coach Dustin Schwartz studied hours and hours worth of video and was a key factor in the recommendation of Campbell over Kuemper. The Oilers were also more concerned about injuries with Kuemper than with Campbell.

Clearly the Oilers value Kuemper or else they wouldn’t have tried to pry him loose in a trade from the Coyotes last summer. Campbell wasn’t available 15 months ago, though.

He was in July, and the Oilers are banking on him big time over the next five years.
Bunch of bologni. Kuemper was the better goalie available. The Oilers had no choice but to sign Campbell. As free agency was starting, rumors had already started that Kuemper was going to choose to sign with the Caps. Caps d-man Nick Jensen has the same agent as Kuemper, so Kuemper heard good things about the Caps and felt it was a good fit for him. I have always had my doubts Jack Campbell could play as a true #1 goalie. Campbell shouldn't have been given more than a 3 year deal @ $3.5 million per year. He came close to breaking the 50 start barrier(I think it was 47, but I could be wrong) once. His other seasons of starts translated to being a platoon goalie. Honestly I don't think there was a goalie market that warranted Jack Campbell should be paid $5 million per, especially when his previous contract annual was $1.625 million. Holland must have been caught in the Wings Time when they were signing free agents over other teams and winning a Cup.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
Seems like a good time to try out an up and coming goalie coach down in Bako and bring up Rodrigue Sr. with Pickard.

"Promote" Schwartz to just scouting and consulting in the meantime.

Schwartz contributions to goalie scouting are one of the main reasons he should be gone. Guy had to of been on board with a giant acquisition like Campbell.

Reactions: Duke74

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL

I'm done with nice guys who can't do their jobs. I want an asshole who can stop the damn puck!

Holland needs to eat some crow, admit this signing was a mistake, waive Brown and save us $3 million for next year.
Sign Roy or Belfour.
Just checking in to see if anyone claimed Jack. Thought maybe I missed it, was in the bathroom.
Campbell being claimed would be a massive life preserver thrown to the Oilers by another GM. Campbell gone to another team would represent $5M in cap space that gives the Oilers options to solve a few roster problems... No one will help them out.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
This is silly. These are all professional athletes who have been under immense pressure basically their entire lives. A big part of why they rose above everyone else and made the NHL is their ability to deal with pressure.

Now people want to think saying cup or bust has put such a strain on this team that they cant handle it. Thats a stretch for sure.

Excuses like this are just made up by people who dont want to admit the team is just not very good when Mcdavid and Draistl aren't going nuclear carrying them on their back.
I disagree I would say a very good part of this is mental. A team doesn’t go from having 4 guys over 80 points one season to everyone of them regressing this far. The talent has not left the players but they all seem to be suffering mentally.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I seen this on X I think this person may be on to something

View attachment 764703

Interesting theory. But I go back to that MacKinnon presser where he said “I haven’t won shit”. Next season he goes out and just gets the job done. Pretty sure he had pressure on himself and the team to win too. They didn’t buckle under the pressure, they got to work.

subnet

5-14-6-1
Sponsor
Nov 6, 2005
PacNW
100%

This team has always prioritized offence which requires stellar bail out goaltending in a two decades long effort to recreate the Golden Years.

The only time the Oilers went off script was the EIG owned hard working years and the Cup run year anchored by solid D systems, a true top D in Pronger and solid goaltending from Roli.

It’s time the Oilers hired a coach that demands defensive excellence, actual goaltending and drafts and acquires players who have high defensive IQ with jam to their game to compliment McDavid and that might cost us Draisaitl as we won’t be able to afford him and McDavid on their next deals.

Play poor defensively this is what you get. Put in an unsteady Eddie with a young sophomore goalie and it’s a disaster.
I like what you’re saying, but is it McD or Drai that we should keep, when comparing the potential return we could get? I’m not saying we should trade #97 before #29, but is it a slam dunk, based on their return, their salary, etc?

I hated when we traded #99. I remember the day vividly and the shock around town. I wouldn’t want to go through it again but I’m not so sure Drai gets moved before McJesus?

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Here is a link to one of the sources citing the Oilers chose Campbell over Kuemper in part due to Dustin Schwartz's reccomendation:

In the last Live Room chat with host Israel Fehr, I was asked why the Oilers targeted Jack Campbell in free agency when Darcy Kuemper — someone they’d previously tried to acquire via trade — was also on the market. It’s something I’d wondered myself and, aside from Campbell’s slightly lower cap hit, something for which I didn’t have an adequate answer.

Well, here it is. In asking around, the Oilers like Campbell better than Kuemper. They feel like Campbell’s a more consistent netminder, his highs in performance are higher and his rebound control is better. Goaltending coach Dustin Schwartz studied hours and hours worth of video and was a key factor in the recommendation of Campbell over Kuemper. The Oilers were also more concerned about injuries with Kuemper than with Campbell.

Clearly the Oilers value Kuemper or else they wouldn’t have tried to pry him loose in a trade from the Coyotes last summer. Campbell wasn’t available 15 months ago, though.

He was in July, and the Oilers are banking on him big time over the next five years.
That hours and hours of video was just him playing NHL '22 as the Leafs.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I like what you’re saying, but is it McD or Drai that we should keep, when comparing the potential return we could get? I’m not saying we should trade #97 before #29, but is it a slam dunk, based on their return, their salary, etc?

I hated when we traded #99. I remember the day vividly and the shock around town. I wouldn’t want to go through it again but I’m not so sure Drai gets moved before McJesus?

His contract is up first so by default he gets moved first if he won’t re-sign here this summer - youve got to move him.

Also his value will never be higher than right now with 2 years + 2 playoffs at his current low cap hit.

You probably pull Pesce, Jarvis and a couple firsts which you could use to both dump Campbell and land Gibson. Use our first to fill in the 2/3 C.

McDavid you do everything you can to keep but we’ve got to change the fundamental dynamics of the team.

Reactions: subnet

RandomGuy79

Oct 4, 2017
Surrey

Campbell being claimed would be a massive life preserver thrown to the Oilers by another GM. Campbell gone to another team would represent $5M in cap space that gives the Oilers options to solve a few roster problems... No one will help them out.

Where is Slats when you need him.

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
Has more gaols than McLeod, Ryan, Holloway, Erne Hamblin, Brown, Janmark,Lavoie have in 58 games combined
Didn't mind Lavoie last night in his limited minutes. Smart play might be to keep him up and waive Brown. But doubt that happens. I also think Brown could turn it around but who knows everyone sucks right now.

So seriously who is other other goalie or do we call the Zamboni driver if Skinner gets hurt or is pulled?

Reactions: VainGretzky

M Ace

Apr 12, 2010
Orebro, Sweden
Calvin Pickard = Owns a projectable frame, as well as the ability to be a workhorse starting netminder at lower levels. Is fairly economical in his overall movement in the crease area. Could stand to fill out his 6-1 frame even more in order to maximize output at the National Hockey League level. Must also curb his penchant for letting in soft goals.

I gotta say, his scouting report doesn't ring confidence.
I focus on the part ”soft goals”…..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad