Oilers waive Jack Campbell

Oildrum

Jan 22, 2013
well the counter argument to that is do we even get a chance to resign either if the team is dog shit and doesnt make the playoffs?

might end up with 20 mil in cap space
Think of all the sweet players we could sign with all that cap space though!

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
I had a dream last night where Campbell clears but refuses to report to Bakersfield so he was placed on unconditional waivers for contract termination.

He will report to Bako.

This is his retirement contract. He will wait for the buyout or enjoy the next few years playing in Bako.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

CantHaveTkachev

Accruing Cap Space
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
The same people saying Campbell can't play in the NHL and cheering on that he was waived were usually dunking on Mike Smith. Vet goalies with skills can find their game.

I wouldn't have gone the Jack Campbell route. Stupid on Hollands part to commit this kind of coin. But if you got a player that has played well before, and has played well here before you utilize him and give him starts and faith until the game gets going. I mean the alternative is Stu Skinner who even at present is worse.

To waive the contract and embarrass the vet goalie once again and devalue him further just like in the playoffs is bad asset management.

This org seems to piss off its players. Wasn't two weeks ago that Kane was upset here with toi. Seems to be an utter disrespect for players, and playing favorites, that lingers with this org.

If Campbell is currently "mentally fragile" as so many posters go on about how is refusing to start him in any playoff game helping? How is parking him for two weeks even as he showed signs of getting his game on helping? How is waiving him to the minors helping? This is what you would do if you wanted to piss all over any remaining faith the player had in himself.

Not just the Oilers but the NHL is a weird league sometimes. Another player here, Sam Gagner got pissed on so many times by this org, and others, and coaches barely recognizing that he needs to play with talent and is effective playing with talent. Yet teams including this one would park Gagner in bottomsix and give him nothing to work with.
Campbell got waived because there's not a hockey team on Earth that is taking that awful contract

Skinner, despite being just as bad and having WORSE stats, would probably get claimed just based on age and contract length

that's all there is to it...team won't sniff the playoffs, let alone a Cup, without an upgrade on goaltending

Reactions: Behind Enemy Lines

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
There are murmurings that lazy Kenny is on the hunt for a goalie.
"The hunt" Ken Holland couldn't catch a cheeseburger at Burger King. He'd fall asleep in the lineup.

Campbell got waived because there's not a hockey team on Earth that is taking that awful contract

Skinner, despite being just as bad and having WORSE stats, would probably get claimed just based on age and contract

that's all there is to it...team won't sniff the playoffs, let alone a Cup, without an upgrade on goaltending
Man if only somebody in the org was there to think maybe throwing 25M at an ordinary goalie isn't such a great idea on a cap strapped club.

This org spends like drunken sailors at a brothel. "Oh its 2am, look what I got, it must've been very dark"

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
I agree to an extent. They do seem to be trying to do too much in some instances BUT this team is allergic to defence. There are fundemntal mistakes every single game. Not just one player either...almost the entire team. Then we hear Woodcroft praising Darisaitl for doing somehting (backchecking) that should be expected. Its like its so uncommon on this team to see a player put an effort in to backcheck that it merits praise. I mean the juxtaposition of Bouchards lack of effort I guess Draisaitls effort looked praise worhty. It shouldnt have been.
So I see a lot of the problem being about effort. Caring enough to prioritize defence.
Not just an occasional thing you do because the spirit moves you.

100% agree.

It's so noticeable on the back check. It's been like that for years.

Guys coast to the bench (Drai a HUGE offender)... those extra seconds may not matter to you when you are gassed, but they matter to the guy who needs to jump off and get into the play before he earns the -GA caused by your turnover and lazy change.

Guys coast back to their goalie... you may think that your ill advised pinch (Bouch!) is the end of it all and all hope is lost, but your goalie is hoping to bail you out. How is he meant to concentrate on making the first save, if he knows you've already given up that there will be a rebound requiring your help clearing?

This is what it means to play "as a F'n team" and these guys don't do it.

Not to sidebar this too much, but nobody suffers from poor team play more than the goalie, and I don't think anybody notices it/feels it more than goalies either. It makes a huge difference to a goalie's state of mind if the inner voice is saying 'that's it, nice back check, yes, keep the pressure, I've go you' rather than 'wtf are you stopping for, keep skating, ah geez, not again'.

I think that's why Smith was able to command better performances out of this squad. They are so starved for constructive tough-love and he was the only guy giving it.

Reactions: harpoon

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG

Skinner, despite being just as bad and having WORSE stats, would probably get claimed just based on age and contract length

No team is going to take Campbell and that contract as is, even if it's for free on waivers.

You never know though - someone might take him if offered sufficient inducement. Campbell and his contract have negative trade value, but if you offer up a big enough positive to equal it out maybe Holland can swing a trade.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Obviously Campbell will get picked up soon by whoever missed out on him in free agency. Oh wait, we negotiated against no one and was the only serious suitor and still overpaid him somehow.

• Haha
Reactions: Drivesaitl

Yuke

Jan 15, 2020
Who cares. The Oilers can go back at that point and tank for a no.1 overall again, if people are so worried about that, you can go back to the toilet and tank for no.1 overall for the 10 years in a row following. Go ahead, knock yourself out.

Until then though, you can damn well try to build a team some other way when you've been gifted a generational player.
Your thinking is completely backwards. What player that wants to win a cup will sign with a team without a future. Trading all your top draft picks is a McDrai ticket to leave.

Disagree because if they go that route they can get an absolute haul of picks and prospects for those two players.
So you are trading Draisaitl next off season then. That your plan?

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
Yes, Campbell to the Condors for Pickard and future considerations (Rodrigues) lol.

Nah it was the impossible dream. I wonder if they make a move where it's Campbell at like 50% for Ned
No! The next goalie we get needs to be a legit starter no more up and comers no more past their prime guys. Has to be a legit starter that can play minimum 50 games.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
No! The next goalie we get needs to be a legit starter no more up and comers no more past their prime guys. Has to be a legit starter that can play minimum 50 games.
No no, I'm not suggesting Nedeljkovic as a player to take forward, I'm suggesting him as the contract/body that comes back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad