Oilers waive Jack Campbell

Old Boys Club

Anita Max Wynn
Nov 3, 2013
Will be bought out in the summer, head somewhere like NYR or LA with good goalie coaches to rejuvenate his game and then post a .920 as a backup for a few years.

Hell, the guy had a .928 on the 18-19 Kings with Willie Desjardins as the head coach.

In a position where mental fortitude is key, Campbell's confidence is too fragile. He can be the backup, or play in non-pressure situations, but I don't think he'll ever be 'the guy'.

Reactions: Leafshater67

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Campbell asked to have Manny Legace go to Bako with him. Apparently he worked with him this last summer and enjoyed working with him per Friedman. But why would he want Legace when he has Schwartz at his disposal?
I heard about this but I cant remember from who...Might have been the 2 guys and a goalie podcast. Schwartz works primarily for the NHL team.
Legace isnt employed by anyone and he also apparently worked with Campbell in the summer.
I heard that a lot of mental stuff was worked on with Legace.
Campbell surely needs more help with that.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Campbell asked to have Manny Legace go to Bako with him. Apparently he worked with him this last summer and enjoyed working with him per Friedman. But why would he want Legace when he has Schwartz at his disposal?
Another Oilers goalie goes outside the org to help to improve his game.

Schwartz will be promoted to assistant GM.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I heard about this but I cant remember from who...Might have been the 2 guys and a goalie podcast. Schwartz works primarily for the NHL team.
Legace isnt employed by anyone and he also apparently worked with Campbell in the summer.
I heard that a lot of mental stuff was worked on with Legace.
Campbell surely needs more help with that.
Just heard it from Friedman. I find it interesting that he isn't looking towards Schwartz or Rodrigue. Maybe he still has beef with Schwartz handling of him last season? No idea but I think it's a good thing for him to work with who he wants to as the best scenario would see him come back and live up to his contract.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Just heard it from Friedman. I find it interesting that he isn't looking towards Schwartz or Rodrigue. Maybe he still has beef with Schwartz handling of him last season? No idea but I think it's a good thing for him to work with who he wants to as the best scenario would see him come back and live up to his contract.
Well...I heard that Schwartz has more than enough with the Oilers and he isnt going down to Bakersfield,
Also...as I mentioned...Legaces work with Campbell was primarily mental and maybe Campbell felt it was a good idea to revisit that. Who could blame him...his issues are primarily between the ears.

Anyway...just what I heard.
Dont shoot the messenger. :laugh:

Reactions: TB12

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
Well...I heard that Schwartz has more than enough with the Oilers and he isnt going down to Bakersfield,
Also...as I mentioned...Legaces work with Campbell was primarily mental and maybe Campbell felt it was a good idea to revisit that. Who could blame him...his issues are primarily between the ears.

Legace also told him to stop being tiny when he drops to butterfly. Something we all say about our tenders (think about tiny Talbot picture). It's more than mental stuff. But I'm sure with Legace going from all star to AHL a coupoe of times he can definitely help Campbell mentally.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Legace was the Blue Jackets goalie coach from 2018 until this past spring

Bizarre out of the box thinking, but hear me out...what if the Oilers hired a guy with nearly 400 games of NHL experience to be the goalie coach.
Interestingly, that covers a good stretch of reputation for their goaltending. He started with the final year of Bobrovsky, who fell of a cliff after leaving. Korpisalo built a firm reputation in his years under Legace as perhaps a similar talent as a Koskinen, but outperformed what Koskinen was. Merzlikins flourished there, although has struggled recently

Gordy Elbows

Keep off my lawn
Oct 31, 2019
Legace also told him to stop being tiny when he drops to butterfly. Something we all say about our tenders (think about tiny Talbot picture). It's more than mental stuff. But I'm sure with Legace going from all star to AHL a coupoe of times he can definitely help Campbell mentally.
This echoes what Fuhr told him as well….play your size and play further out on the shots.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Legace was the Blue Jackets goalie coach from 2018 until this past spring

Bizarre out of the box thinking, but hear me out...what if the Oilers hired a guy with nearly 400 games of NHL experience to be the goalie coach.
I’d rather have a goalie coach with a sub .900 SP in the WHL and less then 100 games of U of A experience but what do I know.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
0.917sv%, stopped 33 of 36 shots and his team was outshot 36-22. Unless you watched the game and he looked rough, that seems like a pretty decent stat line IMO.
generally speaking im happy if a goaltender only lets in 1 in 10 shots. .90 save percentage would be good enough for this team. Anything higher is gravy. 1 in 10 is the bare minimum.

Leonardlizard

Dec 3, 2021
I watched highlights.. One of them was incredibly soft. Really should we really be saying that's a decent stat line in the AHL when it's our starting goalie? I guess I'm out to lunch thinking he should be close to lights out or it's not good enough at this point in his career.
0.917sv%, stopped 33 of 36 shots and his team was outshot 36-22. Unless you watched the game and he looked rough, that seems like a pretty decent stat line IMO.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Unfortunately Schwartz isn't at his disposal. He's responsible for the NHL roster goaltenders and supporting a team that has to now play at a +.600 clip for any hope to make the playoffs. Trying to fix a $25 million man why not cater to his request for some personalized coaching support? Unfortunately the biggest issue is between Jack's ears which has been his kryptonite since draft day. Lots of athletic ability but the internal confidence and mental skills (resiliency, coping etc.) comes and goes too much for the most difficult position on the ice.

Reactions: guymez

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007

A $25M asset isn’t priority for Schwartz? Media making excuses

Reactions: WEMCHUD

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad