Oilers waive Jack Campbell

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
You know you've got a brutal starter when he get's put on waivers and no other team wants him

Reactions: RegDunlop

oilers4life5

Nov 6, 2007
City of Champions
Buying out Campbell is a huge mistake. Put together whatever package you need to, to get a team to take the full ticket. First round pick, prospect, whatever.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Buying out Campbell is a huge mistake. Put together whatever package you need to, to get a team to take the full ticket. First round pick, prospect, whatever.
Picks and prospects are going to be more valuable than some dead cap in a couple seasons when they're rebuilding without McDrai.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Picks and prospects are going to be more valuable than some dead cap in a couple seasons when they're rebuilding without McDrai.

Who cares. The Oilers can go back at that point and tank for a no.1 overall again, if people are so worried about that, you can go back to the toilet and tank for no.1 overall for the 10 years in a row following. Go ahead, knock yourself out.

Until then though, you can damn well try to build a team some other way when you've been gifted a generational player.

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
At least it's something, honestly didn't think Holland would ever waive him. I can't see Woody starting Pickard soon but very curious if this helps wake up the D with their buddy riding the bus now.

Side note, Jack's Wife is probably pumped, AB to Cali a few hours from the beach while Jack rides the bus.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
I don't think it's quite that bad. Campbell's buyout would only leave us with $1.1 million in dead cap next season. Neal (which isn't really Holland's fault) has one more year after this one with $1.9 million in dead space. Add on Brown's $3.225 million and that puts us at $6.225 million in dead cap.

That's assuming we finish this season with zero cap space (unlikely) and can't put any of Brown's bonus on this season's cap.
You’re right. Next year 1.1 then it jumps to 2.3 and 2.6. Still- 6.2M in dead cap is still bad

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
You’re right. Next year 1.1 then it jumps to 2.3 and 2.6. Still- 6.2M in dead cap is still bad

"You know what this team needs? 2+ million more in dead cap the summers they need to get Draisaitl and McDavid signed" -

Oilers genius management

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
"You know what this team needs? 2+ million more in dead cap the summers they need to get Draisaitl and McDavid signed" -

Oilers genius management
well the counter argument to that is do we even get a chance to resign either if the team is dog shit and doesnt make the playoffs?

might end up with 20 mil in cap space

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
well the counter argument to that is do we even get a chance to resign either if the team is dog shit and doesnt make the playoffs?

might end up with 20 mil in cap space

Who cares at that point. Go tank for another no.1 Yakupov tier player then Katz.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I disagree I would say a very good part of this is mental. A team doesn’t go from having 4 guys over 80 points one season to everyone of them regressing this far. The talent has not left the players but they all seem to be suffering mentally.
I agree to an extent. They do seem to be trying to do too much in some instances BUT this team is allergic to defence. There are fundemntal mistakes every single game. Not just one player either...almost the entire team. Then we hear Woodcroft praising Darisaitl for doing somehting (backchecking) that should be expected. Its like its so uncommon on this team to see a player put an effort in to backcheck that it merits praise. I mean the juxtaposition of Bouchards lack of effort I guess Draisaitls effort looked praise worhty. It shouldnt have been.
So I see a lot of the problem being about effort. Caring enough to prioritize defence.
Not just an occasional thing you do because the spirit moves you.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I agree to an extent. They do seem to be trying to do too much in some instances BUT this team is allergic to defence. There are fundemntal mistakes every single game. Not just one player either...almost the entire team. Then we hear Woodcroft praising Darisaitl for doing somehting (backchecking) that should be expected. Its like its so uncommon on this team to see a player put an effort in to backcheck that it merits praise. I mean the juxtaposition of Bouchards lack of effort I guess Draisaitls effort looked praise worhty. It shouldnt have been.
So I see a lot of the problem being about effort. Caring enough to prioritize defence.
Not just an occasional thing you do because the spirit moves you.

Woodcroft can't coach defense at an NHL level and is a zero accountability coach (see: your quote on backchecking). The only thing he knows how to do is play run n' gun offense which he can't do right now because McDavid isn't 100%.

Reactions: Gunnersaurus Rex

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006

i'd rather use those assets to get an actual goalie to replace Campbell and eat the cap hit on the buyout.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Disagree because if they go that route they can get an absolute haul of picks and prospects for those two players.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Boston has two good goalies, for some strange reason Holland didn’t want to acquire one of them.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Pickard hasn't been an NHL regular in his career for a reason. I'm not going to say he's the answer nor will I say Rodrigues is the answer, but Campbell isn't an NHL goalie and can't keep getting starts and playing time.
I think that this may be more about accountability too. At least I hope so.
Woodcroft missed an opprtunity to bench Bouchard last game. Thats an issue because IMO part of the problem is that the better players on this team are almost never held accountable.
That has to change and because of the reality of this season (its almost completely lost already) if Woodcroft doesnt do that now then he will never do it...the players know that.
I mean so much praise for Draisaitls backcheck on the 3-1 in the Canucks games. So much praise for doing something that should be expected...not praised.
Thats telling because the standards defensively are clearly way too low.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
The same people saying Campbell can't play in the NHL and cheering on that he was waived were usually dunking on Mike Smith. Vet goalies with skills can find their game.

I wouldn't have gone the Jack Campbell route. Stupid on Hollands part to commit this kind of coin. But if you got a player that has played well before, and has played well here before you utilize him and give him starts and faith until the game gets going. I mean the alternative is Stu Skinner who even at present is worse.

To waive the contract and embarrass the vet goalie once again and devalue him further just like in the playoffs is bad asset management.

This org seems to piss off its players. Wasn't two weeks ago that Kane was upset here with toi. Seems to be an utter disrespect for players, and playing favorites, that lingers with this org.

If Campbell is currently "mentally fragile" as so many posters go on about how is refusing to start him in any playoff game helping? How is parking him for two weeks even as he showed signs of getting his game on helping? How is waiving him to the minors helping? This is what you would do if you wanted to piss all over any remaining faith the player had in himself.

Not just the Oilers but the NHL is a weird league sometimes. Another player here, Sam Gagner got pissed on so many times by this org, and others, and coaches barely recognizing that he needs to play with talent and is effective playing with talent. Yet teams including this one would park Gagner in bottomsix and give him nothing to work with.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad