Post-Game Talk: Oilers suffer from narcolepsy again to start the season

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
On the positive side JSkinner has looked pretty good
In the last 10mins he decided to do something and seemed determined. Mind you that was in the 3rd period against a bad club that was just defending and surviving. Hawks have zero composure in own zone so It contributed to Oilers getting their chances on a full court press.

Somebody told Skinner he's on after hours so he can't be invisible all night.

Not good period by Pickard but not a good game by the Oilers.

Drai was probably the best Oiler.

Kerberos

Hound of Hades
Nov 4, 2021
This team loves shitting all over itself, rolling around in their shit and covering everybody else in their shit.

Bench McDavid, RNH and Draisaitl tomorrow. Play with no goalie because it honestly can't get any worse. They say all the right empty platitudes then proceed to do the exact opposite. How many lessons have to be learned.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
They seem to be very slow in terms of shot release and play development.

A lot of over passing too.

The difference tonight was the Hawks quick release from Bedard and no hesitation in terms of shooting the puck.

Shizuka

Mar 16, 2002
In purgatory
I don't think it's a hangover. They're mentally not over last June, and Knoblaugh didn't do enough to address or prep for this possibility in the preseason.

If your execution is off by even a milisecond in this league it makes all the difference in the world.
That's a playoff hangover, man. Game 7 hangover, whatever you want to call it. Maybe a short off-season, but so what? Two teams every year deal with that specifically. The coach can only do so much. It's on the f***ing players to get themselves prepared mentally and dialed in. They've been off stretching now into 10 games altogether. Just sheer entitlement thinking they can rally and polish off the rust and work through it during the damn season. FFS these clowns.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

aspin3

Oct 31, 2017
Mrazek was much better than Pickard plain and simple but I don't like how soft we are at all. Not sure how such a vet GM and Jackson ans crew don't know better than that. No grit at all...no fear of being hit by the other team. You take that extra second or two to make a play when you know a player is just coming in with their stick extended and won't hit you. Have no youth...slow, soft, and can't hit the net

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
This team loves shitting all over itself, rolling around in their shit and covering everybody else in their shit.

Bench McDavid, RNH and Draisaitl tomorrow. Play with no goalie because it honestly can't get any worse. They say all the right empty platitudes then proceed to do the exact opposite. How many lessons have to be learned.

It's a sensitive group mentally, lets just face it. It was a mistake for Knob to think they would just get over the Finals and he could run a cake walk preseason.

Gotta know your team better than that as a coach. The top players aren't over the Finals, it's plain as day watching them play they are all way off.

Needed to run a less lackadaisical camp.

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
They seem to be very slow in terms of shot release and play development.

A lot of over passing too.

The difference tonight was the Hawks quick release from Bedard and no hesitation in terms of shooting the puck.
The difference was allowing 5 goals on 20 shots against.

But I do agree we are WAY overpassing

Reactions: TheGingaNinja

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
So many changes already. No money left. What can they really do? This lineup is going to have to figure it out.
What changes? We’re kinda stuck with this aren’t we? You could shuffle some deck chairs I suppose but I don’t see what we could change that would make an impact. Our best players need to play better. A lot better.
Recall Philp and sign J. Schultz or Shattenkirk to a cheapish 1 year deal. Maybe start hunting again for another goalie. I'm not convinced that this duo will be good enough for us. Pickard was in the A for a long while before becoming our back-up.

Reactions: 5 14 6 1

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I don't think it's a hangover. They're mentally not over last June, and Knoblaugh didn't do enough to address or prep for this possibility in the preseason.

If your execution is off by even a milisecond in this league it makes all the difference in the world.
I think its both. A hangover and a memory and realization of how hard this is. Several players on this team gave absolutely every drop they had last season. In the WC its always hard the year after a cup final. This is nothing new, just happening to Oilers now.

Reactions: 5 14 6 1

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Recall Philp and sign J. Schultz or Shattenkirk to a cheapish 1 year deal. Maybe start hunting again for another goalie. I'm not convinced that this duo will be good enough for us. Pickard was in the A for a long while before becoming our back-up.
We need someone with a great shot and quick release. Let's offer Vegas something for Lavoie.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Mrazek was much better than Pickard plain and simple but I don't like how soft we are at all. Not sure how such a vet GM and Jackson ans crew don't know better than that. No grit at all...no fear of being hit by the other team. You take that extra second or two to make a play when you know a player is just coming in with their stick extended and won't hit you. Have no youth...slow, soft, and can't hit the net
McDavid feeling the need to retaliate for getting hit shows that he knows that we don't have the horses to do that or to hammer Bedard the same.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
First 5 games of previous seasons

24-25: 0W, 2L so far

23-24: 1W, 3L, 1OTL
22-23: 2W, 3L
21-22: 5W, 0L (followed by an epic December collapse)
20-21: 2W, 3L

Aside from 21-22, having a shit start is becoming pretty common for the Oilers.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Didn’t they have $53 in cap space to start the season? I’m not a capologist like many on here are but what’s changed since Wednesday to allow us to do anything?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad