Post-Game Talk: Oilers suffer from narcolepsy again to start the season

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
We look slow and small. Plain and simple. And also a step behind. Double whammy.

I don't think speed is the issue, Skinner and Arvidsson look actually pretty decent.

This is maybe the worst I've ever seen McDavid + Draisaitl + RNH + Hyman + Bouchard all collectively play. First game I was willing to give it a pass, but it's definitely the top guys and a combination of mentally still being stuck in 4 months ago + not skating much for any of them it looks like.

They are so off it's almost funny to watch. They look half drunk out there.

Reactions: TheNumber4

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
Edmonton
The 4th line was not on the ice for a shot against in this game.

Geezers Perry and Ryan have been among our better forwards through 2 games.

Podkolzin has been decent too

by my eye RNH and Hyman are struggling the most out of the forward group. 2nd line seemed to find some chemistry tonight, i actually didnt mind Skinner at all

the PK again is bad out of the gates, Stuart needs to work his magic with the new group

Reactions: K1984

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
McDavid feeling the need to retaliate for getting hit shows that he knows that we don't have the horses to do that or to hammer Bedard the same.
Hits were like 14-4 Hawks after 1st period. yeah, you know that frustration is gonna bubble up. Been saying this for awhile is that teams can just take liberties against McDrai and what are we gonna do. Gum the opponents to death? Theres basically zero tough in this lineup, in hockey, in the WC. This is the kind of frankenstein nonsense club that only an analytics guy would put together. This roster makes no sense.

I can't believe in Western Canada we'd see a team like this that has absolutely no teeth. Zero grit.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
PK blows
Offense Blows
Goaltending has been mediocre... some would say it blows

Outscored 11-2 through 2 games on home ice.

Upside is they've outshot the competition 67-40 so there's that.

If they can find some finish and some defense/goaltending and be better on the PK... they could certainly turn this around.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
PK blows
Offense Blows
Goaltending has been mediocre... some would say it blows

Outscored 11-2 through 2 games on home ice.

Upside is they've outshot the competition 67-40 so there's that.

If they can find some finish and some defense/goaltending and be better on the PK... they could certainly turn this around.

Exact same story as last year, lol.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
that is the thing. That 3 mill for Skinner or 4 mill for Arvedsson? Would it have been better spent on our D?

Those two were good tonight. The core players are clearly not mentally ready to start this season and the coach plainly did not recognize this or learn anything from the previous coach on this. How long it will take them to get there is anyone's guess.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
9 hits is pretty anemic too when you are coming off a 6-0 shitpasting in your opener.

You would think the team would at least have some snarl after being embarrassed on opening night... but the personnel really isn't there for a lot of grit and snarl and truculence in this lineup.

It's basically on the backs of McDrai to drag the offense out of this team yet again... and once they start putting more pucks in the net... hopefully that helps to even out the defense/goaltending/PK deficiencies as well.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
We look slow and small. Plain and simple. And also a step behind. Double whammy.
Look what players we lost and what we brought in. How was it going to look different than this? The guys will figure it out and do enough to make playoffs but this is going to be a slow and tired looking club in a lot of games. Still can't see Drai getting all the criticism tonight from some here. He's the forward with two new wingers trying to figure it out and he scored, set up several plays and hit a post. You read the board and its him getting the gears again. I thought he was off in first game but pretty good in this one. He wasn't the problem. The standpat first line doesn't even have a goal yet this season.

Reactions: TheNumber4

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Didn’t they have $53 in cap space to start the season? I’m not a capologist like many on here are but what’s changed since Wednesday to allow us to do anything?
Didn't they move things around to max the cap hits? Savoie was sent down, Lavoie waived, etc. I'd be fine waiving Ryan if need be.

Reactions: rboomercat90

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
9 hits is pretty anemic too when you are coming off a 6-0 shitpasting in your opener.

You would think the team would at least have some snarl after being embarrassed on opening night.. but the personnel really isn't there for a lot of grit and snarl and truculence in this lineup.

It's basically on the back of McDrai to drag the offense out of this team yet again.. and once they started putting more pucks in the net... hopefully that helps to even out the defense/goaltending/PK deficiencies as well.
There are no hits in this lineup though. No hitters, no fighters, no grit, Teams are gonna take advantage of this and take liberties. How could they not? Maroon kept looking around laughing that there is nobody in our lineup that would do anything no matter what he did. He actually even toned it down, not sure why. he could/ve done anything he liked all night. Same with goons like Foligno.

Watch what happens when a team WANTS to take liberties against this roster. Not sure what Jeff Jackson was thinking. This dog won't fight. Oh but the analytics!

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
They should sign Shattenkirk or Schultz if that's still on the table, but other than that, there's no big roster move coming.

The core guys (McDavid, Drai, RNH, Hyman, Bouchard) need to let last June go, they said they have but they clearly lied out of their asses and Knob is not looking too bright for not recognizing that during camp.

oilers4life5

Nov 6, 2007
City of Champions
Trade for Kostin. We need forwards that can hit

There are no hits in this lineup though. No hitters, no fighters, no grit, Teams are gonna take advantage of this and take liberties. How could they not? Maroon kept looking around laughing that there is nobody in our lineup that would do anything no matter what he did. He actually even toned it down, not sure why.
Nurse should be that guy.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Oilhawks

Over Old Hills
Nov 24, 2011
Look what players we lost and what we brought in. How was it going to look different than this? The guys will figure it out and do enough to make playoffs but this is going to be a slow and tired looking club in a lot of games. Still can't see Drai getting all the criticism tonight from some here. He's the forward with two new wingers trying to figure it out and he scored, set up several plays and hit a post. You read the board and its him getting the gears again. I thought he was off in first game but pretty good in this one. He wasn't the problem. The standpat first line doesn't even have a goal yet this season.

The funny thing is the old and slow guys everyone bitched about are the ones that showed up to play. The vaunted star power thinks it’s the preseason still

Reactions: harpoon

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I am going to reserve judgement until they have played at least 10 games but so far they look like a team trying to find itself.
A clear lack of intensity and finish really stands out to me so far.
The lack of intensity makes for a lot of poor decision making and that is very evident especially by the teams top players.
Draisaitl for example scored a goal but his turnover count was off the charts.
McDavid making some 'less than smart' plays with the puck.
2nd game in a row where the 4th line was the teams best line.
The team (at this point in time) clearly doesnt want the win nearly as bad as their opponents.
Thats especially true for the top players on the team.

Until that changes they just arent going to win much at all because the goaltending isnt at a level good enough to steal wins.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad