Post-Game Talk: Oilers suffer from narcolepsy again to start the season

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
So that would be the same as the previous 8 years then?

Arvidsson and Skinner look good, it's not JJ's fault McDavid/RNH/Hyman all look drunk as a top line and Bouchard is taking and extra half second to shoot every single time which might as well be 3 days in hockey terms. Draisaitl is not on top of his game either, he can damn well play better than that. With I see that with 5 players, I'm thinking this is a "not over the Cup Finals" thing for sure.
Its certainly JJ's fault that he didn't address a single one of the teams actual needs. In terms of blame I look there first. This isn't revisionist either. I was not at all a fan of this offseason and acquisitions and lost players.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Its certainly JJ's fault that he didn't address a single one of the teams actual needs. In terms of blame I look there first. This isn't revisionist either. I was not at all a fan of this offseason and acquisitions and lost players.

With what cap space? Einstein Holland hung us out to dry with a $3.2 million cap penalty on Brown, and we're still paying for Neal who he bought out and then you have to buy out Campbell and then there's Nurse's $2.5 million overpayment.

All told that's like $8-9 million in lost cap.

Then you almost definitely have Leon at the exit meetings saying "get me better wingers if you want me to re-sign", so he went and prioritized that. Leon didn't want to play with shit like Foegele and McLeod forever, we had to get some proven scorers.

It's not like a bunch of a superstar RD were available last summer anyway.

Reactions: PBandJ and Duke74

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
It was a team need though. One of the bigger issues the last few years was that Drai had no wingers to play with.
But Lavoie was ready. f*** why even have him as a prospect if we were never going to benefit. Instead we have a dud like Podz blowing chances on Drai sets up and smaller wingers that we have getting bounced around. For sure Skinner will find some scoring touch, its all he does, but I can't even imagine how much punishment Drai is going to be taking again this season with two smaller players like RV and Skinner on line. What exactly are they gonna do the many times Drai si getting carved out there.

The ideal fill for the DRai line is somebody that plays dirty and physical and can add the odd point. I believe you need two skill guys on a line and a worker ant.

Simple question. Why would anybody want Podkolzin here instead of Lavoie? I can't fathom it.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Look what players we lost and what we brought in. How was it going to look different than this? The guys will figure it out and do enough to make playoffs but this is going to be a slow and tired looking club in a lot of games. Still can't see Drai getting all the criticism tonight from some here. He's the forward with two new wingers trying to figure it out and he scored, set up several plays and hit a post. You read the board and its him getting the gears again. I thought he was off in first game but pretty good in this one. He wasn't the problem. The standpat first line doesn't even have a goal yet this season.
Whole teams shitting the bed right now to put it bluntly. Hyman wised to good for one impact play a game. McDavid atleast one. Defence look chaotic and out of position. Bouch will find his game, but hasn’t found it yet. Yeh I would put it on any single person, let alone Drai. The only game I like is maybe He risqué and Ekholm and still it hasn’t been enough. But with the new contract for Drai it’s gonna come no matter what, fair or not.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Nurse’s greed is gonna cost this team a Cup.

And I think he knows it too. Dude looks sheepish every time he steps on the ice these days.

Reactions: harpoon and Kolja

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I don't think speed is the issue, Skinner and Arvidsson look actually pretty decent.

This is maybe the worst I've ever seen McDavid + Draisaitl + RNH + Hyman + Bouchard all collectively play. First game I was willing to give it a pass, but it's definitely the top guys and a combination of mentally still being stuck in 4 months ago + not skating much for any of them it looks like.

They are so off it's almost funny to watch. They look half drunk out there.
It’s definitely everything right now. Including the top guys. Which we are will need to carry.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
It’s definitely everything right now. Including the top guys. Which we are will need to carry.

The top players (McDavid, Drai, RNH, Hyman, Bouchard) look like Stallone in Rocky III ... lol. It's so blatantly obvious that they are mentally stuck in last June still and lied out of their ass when they told the media they are over it. Right now they're not even completing basic passes on the PP they've made to each other clean a million times before.

That's 98% of the issue. The rest of the stuff is white noise.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
But Lavoie was ready. f*** why even have him as a prospect if we were never going to benefit. Instead we have a dud like Podz blowing chances on Drai sets up and smaller wingers that we have getting bounced around. For sure Skinner will find some scoring touch, its all he does, but I can't even imagine how much punishment Drai is going to be taking again this season with two smaller players like RV and Skinner on line. What exactly are they gonna do the many times Drai si getting carved out there.

The ideal fill for the DRai line is somebody that plays dirty and physical and can add the odd point. I believe you need two skill guys on a line and a worker ant.

Simple question. Why would anybody want Podkolzin here instead of Lavoie? I can't fathom it.
I don’t think Podkolzin is a problem.

The issue is keeping Ryan over Lavoie.

Reactions: oilers4life5

Niten Ichi Ryu

Jul 1, 2018
We need Josh Brown on the PK, dgaf what the fans say about him. He's been a staple NHLer for almost a decade, and hasnt seen the AHL in 7 yrs prior to present time. Feel bad for him, he chose to come here, in a time when we were desperate for RHD, on a team friendly deal for 3 yrs. Gets sent down after a couple pre season games to get replaced by a PTO player. He deserves to be up here, with more than a couple pre season games to get going and peddling to his standard.

Desharnais was a huge loss for the PK, and 0 for 3 tonight...we need a similar player to play his role. Brown is better than Desharnais imo. Dermott is the one that needs conditioning, he's been out for a long time. He needs first pairing minutes in the AHL to regain his best game. I really hope Josh gets a call up soon. With Vinny gone, Kane on IR and Holloway gone, we are sorely missing their attributes

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
The 4th line was not on the ice for a shot against in this game.

Geezers Perry and Ryan have been among our better forwards through 2 games.
That passing play that mrzsek saved was beautiful. When Ryan, Perry and Podkolzin are combining for your nicest 3 way passing play you’ve got problems.

Reactions: Oilhawks

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Hits were like 14-4 Hawks after 1st period. yeah, you know that frustration is gonna bubble up. Been saying this for awhile is that teams can just take liberties against McDrai and what are we gonna do. Gum the opponents to death? Theres basically zero tough in this lineup, in hockey, in the WC. This is the kind of frankenstein nonsense club that only an analytics guy would put together. This roster makes no sense.

I can't believe in Western Canada we'd see a team like this that has absolutely no teeth. Zero grit.
I agree with you most of the time, but hits are overrated. Colorado won the cup being dead last in hits

Wowwwwww

CrazyJoeDavola

Jun 17, 2011
Vancouver
9 hits tonight. At home. After an abysmal g1. This is knobby who is actively preaching against physicality based on his comments during the playoff run.

This team has zero f***ing work ethic and intensity and just relies on its skill to win games

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
I suspect the cup hangover effect and the offseason turnover is having a big effect, they aren't the same cohesive team they were in the 2nd half of the season last year. They'll probably get on track once they get their legs underneath them and get more comfortable with each other, hopefully they don't dig themselves too deep into a hole this time around while doing it though.

Would be nice if the team could get some goaltending that could tide them over in the meantime, but the team isn't built that way unfortunately.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
9 hits tonight. At home. After an abysmal g1. This is knobby who is actively preaching against physicality based on his comments during the playoff run.

This team has zero f***ing work ethic and intensity and just relies on its skill to win games

Not to mention this team is currently very boring and predictable to watch. You just know they will give up 5 goals against while on the flip side trying to pass the puck into the net. I’ll eat my hat if we give up less than 5 goals against Calgary in the next one.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Sheikyerbouti

ShakeyerMcBooty
Nov 4, 2006
Van isle
Can’t say I am overly suprised.

How long before Knoblauch gets the can?

Agreed. This looks just like the past: high amount of shots, very little offense, no hits or block shots, bleeding goals, bad goaltending.

I don't think the coach can really be blamed anymore. When Leon is not moving his feet, he's a giveaway machine, and it seems like McDavid needs to be desperate, to be desperate. When they get better so will everyone else imo

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Am I fully drunk? Even Skinner isn't in net. Like whats the excuse tonight? Nurse? Ulanov? Spacek?

Like f***? What the f***ing hell is wrong with this f***ing team?

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
1728808573883.png

Yup, we're gonna have a repeat of last year while everybody takes couple months to remember how to beat a goalie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad