Oilers now 13-12-1: THE THREAD THAT'S FUN FOR EVERYONE

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I am speaking from experience. Canucks lost 7 straight a few years ago and missed the playoffs by only a couple points.

It is possible to objectively have an opinion on an team and still be a fan…I actually don’t mind the Oilers and hope they make it. I just don’t think they will because they have already lost too many and have no room for error. Given their schedule in February….yikes.

If all you are using are stats and an experience from 7 years ago for an entirely different team and different era, then i don’t know how objective your opinion can be. It’s entirely based on stuff that doesn’t matter.

How bout watch the team and consider the quality of the team to decide if they are a team that can make the playoffs. Or atleast use the 4 seasons straight of making the playoffs with this team if you want to just go off stats again.

WestCoast CyberG

Nov 5, 2018
So with 12 available points, they made up +0/+2/+4/+6 and got more games in hand on some of these teams. That doesn't pain the picture you want it to paint.

Also, adding random narrative blurbs in brackets doesn't change the fact that those teams were passed. If the argument is about making the playoffs, no one cares if the teams being passed are actively tanking or are bad. Not sure how MIN kept pace when they got passed.

You gained because ANA and SEA lost games at the same pace as the Oilers won games.

Rattle off 12 points in 6 games and you look back and MINN are still only 1 point back.

Meanwhile….NASH and ARI continued to add points so you gained little to no ground.

Imagine if Edmonton losses a few games?

WestCoast CyberG

Nov 5, 2018
This is the most outrageous statement I have ever read. In what earth does having games in hand not matter? You do know if the Oilers win those games (or even OTL) your numbers completely change. I'll hang up and listen.
Awesome that you think this is outrageous…lol.

Never said they didn’t matter, you just can’t automatically count them as wins to make an argument when they may not.

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
I don't deny that they could improve.

Just look at last year, they went all-in at the deadline to improve. The fact that Ken Holland has already fired his coach for a new coach bump and is seemingly willing to take Connor Brown's 3.25M overage into next season suggests to me they're going to be aggressive at the trade deadline again.

I'm assuming they have a better team after the trade deadline than they have today, leading to a stronger finish to the season just like last season. That said, they dug a hole early and now have a longer climb. I don't think me suggesting they'll be fighting for a wildcard spot after the hole they dug is absurd.
This is crap. You literally said you think they'll maintain their pace and lose 41 games. Ain't no team making a wildcard while losing half the season.

WestCoast CyberG

Nov 5, 2018
If all you are using are stats and an experience from 7 years ago for an entirely different team and different era, then i don’t know how objective your opinion can be. It’s entirely based on stuff that doesn’t matter.

How bout watch the team and consider the quality of the team to decide if they are a team that can make the playoffs. Or atleast use the 4 seasons straight of making the playoffs with this team if you want to just go off stats again.
Never said anything about 7 years ago.…it was 2 years ago.

Jesus Christ….it’s just an opinion you can disagree or come back with a good counter, but this is just my opinion based on what I went through previously.

I watched them 3x this year….Canucks won all 3. ;-)

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
You gained because ANA and SEA lost games at the same pace as the Oilers won games.

Rattle off 12 points in 6 games and you look back and MINN are still only 1 point back.

Meanwhile….NASH and ARI continued to add points so you gained little to no ground.

Imagine if Edmonton losses a few games?
Someone seems a little bitter

Here is the math you are twisting

Last 5 games oilers are 5 and 0 10 pts
Calgary is 2 and 3. Net game of 6 pts
Blues are 1 and 4 net gain of 8 pts
Preds are 3 and 2 for a bet gain of 4pts
Arizona 3 and 2 net gain of 4 pts
Vancouver is also 3 and 2 with a gain of 4 pts

Oilers have games in hand [yez I know they won't win them all]

3 games in hand on Blues, preds vNcouver and calgay

Oilers are playing one game at a time and are better off today then they were 2 weeks ago.

It is a long season

Countdown for this thread to be locked has started. Posters are getting grumpy

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
This is crap. You literally said you think they'll maintain their pace and lose 41 games. Ain't no team making a wildcard while losing half the season.

Did you even read what I said?

The team is already trying to trade their best prospects (Broberg) to try and make the team better.

If they're actively improving their team by trading their best picks and prospects, assuming they make the right trades, they can finish with more points than their current pace.

Look at their record last season before Ekholm and after Ekholm. Better players = better team = better record.

WestCoast CyberG

Nov 5, 2018
Someone seems a little bitter

Here is the math you are twisting

Last 5 games oilers are 5 and 0 10 pts
Calgary is 2 and 3. Net game of 6 pts
Blues are 1 and 4 net gain of 8 pts
Preds are 3 and 2 for a bet gain of 4pts
Arizona 3 and 2 net gain of 4 pts
Vancouver is also 3 and 2 with a gain of 4 pts

Oilers have games in hand [yez I know they won't win them all]

3 games in hand on Blues, preds vNcouver and calgay

Oilers are playing one game at a time and are better off today then they were 2 weeks ago.

It is a long season

Countdown for this thread to be locked has started. Posters are getting grumpy
I wish the team luck and have been very clear I don’t mind Edmonton and hope they make it. I made no cheap shots against the team or fans so not sure where bitter came from.

I didn’t twist anything it was just to illustrate how points can be deceiving even after a 6 game run.

Games at hand can be very deceiving and as fans of the team we start adding them in to the mix.

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
Did you even read what I said?

The team is already trying to trade their best prospects (Broberg) to try and make the team better.

If they're actively improving their team, assuming they make the right trades, they will finish with more points than their current pace.

Look at their record last season before Ekholm and after Ekholm. Better players = better team.
If you said you think they'll maintain their current pace. That pace would have them finish the season well under 90 points, and well out of a playoff spot.

You can say you think they're a wildcard team at best, but that just means you don't actually think they'll maintain their current pace. You're talking in circles.

Reactions: ujju2

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Never said anything about 7 years ago.…it was 2 years ago.

Jesus Christ….it’s just an opinion you can disagree or come back with a good counter, but this is just my opinion based on what I went through previously.

I watched them 3x this year….Canucks won all 3. ;-)

I know it’s just an opinion. And all I’m doing is dismissing your opinion cause it’s formed off not much, 2 years or 7 years. 3 games lol, that says everything.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
If you said you think they'll maintain their current pace. That pace would have them finish the season well under 90 points, and well out of a playoff spot.

You can say you think they're a wildcard team at best, but that just means you don't actually think they'll maintain their current pace. You're talking in circles.

I think the current team will maintain around the current pace if they don't make any trades.

I expect their GM to trade away their future to improve the current team as there's already reports that he's trying to do just that.

I don't get what part of that is confusing.

• Haha
Reactions: TheOrangeDesk

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
I think the current team will maintain the current pace if they don't make any trades.

I expect the current team to trade away their future to improve the current team.

I don't get what part of that is confusing.
Totally not what you were saying to me earlier, lol.

Keep on keepin' on.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Totally not what you were saying to me earlier, lol.

Keep on keepin' on.

That's exactly what I said, maybe you misunderstood it.

You can't expect me to say the Oilers will finish with their current pace even if they trade futures for Makar, MacKinnon & Sorokin retained.

Their GM is already trying to improve the current team.

• Haha

WestCoast CyberG

Nov 5, 2018
I know it’s just an opinion. And all I’m doing is dismissing your opinion cause it’s formed off not much, 2 years or 7 years. 3 games lol, that says everything.
Your entire counter argument is based on your opinion that my opinion is dismissed because it’s formed off “not much”….how ironic!!!!!

Hilarious how you tried to dismiss it originally b/c you thought it was 7 years ago…which means you didn’t even read it. Then pivot to “something something …lol…says everything.”

Keyboard warrior status confirmed.

WestCoast CyberG

Nov 5, 2018
Convenient how he left that information out

I wonder if he has a narrative
Convenient is how oilers fans have made games at hand the narrative.

I used a starting date of Nov.23, which was when the win streak started. It was just to show how after winning 6 straight it only put you back in the WC race. It is very good and makes up some ground but do you expect to continue that pace?

Last edited:
  • Haha

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

I used a starting date of Nov.23, which was when the win streak started. It was just to show how after winning 6 straight it only put you back in the WC race. It is very good and makes up some ground but do you expect to continue that pace?
You seem to not understand how games played matter.

Considering the oilers had a 6 day break during the win streak.

It’s a little disingenuous to not include games played in your argument unless you have a narrative

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Your entire counter argument is based on your opinion that my opinion is dismissed because it’s formed off “not much”….how ironic!!!!!

Hilarious how you tried to dismiss it originally b/c you thought it was 7 years ago…which means you didn’t even read it. Then pivot to “something something …lol…says everything.”

Keyboard warrior status confirmed.

No it isn’t. My opinion on the team is based on watching the team. And yours is based off fantasizing about a made up scenario you cooked up in your head while staring at the standings. Not all opinions are equal, some are informed, some are not.

Lol 7 or 2 years. Doesn’t matter how the Crappy Nucks from whatever year missed the playoffs. These are entirely different teams. It has near zero relevance. Sorry your Canucks didn’t make it that year, but that’s cause they were a shitty team. The Oilers are not a shitty team. And if you watched the team you might realize this.

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Circuit Circus
You seem to not understand how games played matter.

Considering the oilers had a 6 day break during the win streak.

It’s a little disingenuous to not include games played in your argument unless you have a narrative
I already said he had a narrative and he vehemently denied it. This is the most unbiased impartial Canuck fan in the world. :laugh:

AnInjuredJasonZucker

Feb 21, 2014

Let's recap what your actual takeaway was:
Oilers just won 6 straight and all they have to show is passing SEA (who are tanking) and ANA (who lost 6). No ground on Nash, 2 points on Ari and Minn kept pace.

When you are playing from behind like the Oilers all the other teams you are chasing also play each other and gain points which automatically increases the gap.

You went out of your way to make it sound like the winning streak was all but useless because the team's relative position against other teams did not change significantly. Games played in that timespan is an important bit of context, and your stated conclusion is highly misleading without that context.

It is bad reasoning, and I think you probably know that.

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
My over/under has to account for their likely trade deadline (and prior) acquisitions. You think this team is taking a 3.25M overage hit for Connor Brown and standing pat?

Last year they traded for Ekholm. This year, I assume they'll deal their first round pick again.

I'd be comfortable betting 89.5 points for this exact team - but I assume they're trading their 1st round pick again this year to improve their team. They're already shopping Broberg so it seems they're willing to trade picks and prospects to make the team better.
So you're admitting the team is better than the first 12 games, got it. Your comments have been disingenuous at best.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
So you're admitting the team is better than the first 12 games, got it.

I never said the team wasn't. Their current pace is better than their first 12 games - isn't it?

I don't know why people feel the need to form all these strawmen to argue with.

Dempsey

Mark it zero
Mar 1, 2002
Ladner, BC
I am speaking from experience. Canucks lost 7 straight a few years ago and missed the playoffs by only a couple points.

It is possible to objectively have an opinion on an team and still be a fan…I actually don’t mind the Oilers and hope they make it. I just don’t think they will because they have already lost too many and have no room for error. Given their schedule in February….yikes.

All of the teams battling for a wildcard spot will have their season ruined if they lose 7 in a row during the remainder of the season, that is not somehow unique to the Oilers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad