Value of: Oilers need a Goalie

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
has been the starter for better part of a month up untl a wk-ish ago.

generally played very very well
spin will not help you deny this fact

Wow! Starter for a better part of a month! (but no longer)

Save percentage well below 900 in 5 of 12 games that he's started this season.

If that doesn't scream consistency I don't know what does.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
We’ll see if anything happens, but you need to stop with these absolutes as a way to drive up Geo’s value. He’s a streaky goalie and is no guarantee to be an upgrade. You’re probably trying to pump his value and sneak in a Geo + 3 3rds for Broberg and 2 2nds or some crap like that.

I personally don’t want anything to do with Geo.

You're entitled to your opinion as I am to mine.
No one tells me I need to stop, incl you.
My commentary on Geo is factually correct, see eye test track record.

Concur he can have odd stinker here and there but
he is a quality G.
What is now recognized is that he requires reg starter mins and performs better when he is the guy, not looking over his shoulder.

Nothing erroneous or absolute about that.

ps only God, who alone is perfect, is absolute.
man gets to be wonderful on to the point of being flawless
and while not absolute, may be definitive

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Wow! Starter for a better part of a month! (but no longer)

Save percentage well below 900 in 5 of 12 games that he's started this season.

If that doesn't scream consistency I don't know what does.

has a similar track record backing up Hank before Shesty got here
always played better as a starter w/more work, we just didn't recognize it till now

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
I'd give a 3rd and Koskinen for Georgeiv and probably regret it.

Holland might be squeezed to cough up a 2nd.

Some posters say the Rangers won't deal Georgeiv until the end of the season. That's fine, but I bet the price will be way lower, more like a 4th or 5th. No pressure to get him then.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple

Some posters say the Rangers won't deal Georgeiv until the end of the season. That's fine, but I bet the price will be way lower, more like a 4th or 5th. No pressure to get him then.

3rd not enuf
2nd now for him now + if you have no 2nd now you add for me taking a 2nd later
also, add if we are taking Kosk

a la carte pricing

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Good points.

I think Barrie will be traded at some point for a shutdown defenseman, and that will help to stabalize things. Barrie is elite at what he does well, but Bouchard is as well, and for cheaper.

Calling Evan Bouchard "elite" at anything 54 games into his NHL career is just silly.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Calling Evan Bouchard "elite" at anything 54 games into his NHL career is just silly.

Fair, but he has been everything the Oilers could have asked for. Tippett hates playing rookies and has no choice but to play Bouchard a ton. He's been that good.

ElPrimeTime

Dec 23, 2014
Edmonton, AB
What a fan says on hfboards Is irrelevant. Despite some of you thinking you actually have some say in trades you don't and never will. What he says is irrelevant. What you say is irrelevant but I'll tell you 1 absolute for certain... nobody is trading their number 1 goalie to Edmonton. Who the heck does that? U want a team to trade their number 1 guy? Then you are gonna have to give up something that hurts you to give up. Georgiev is the type of goalie who would be available but fantasy land always wrong hfboards think Oilers gonna get a legit number 1 for garbage and cap dumps. That's not how nhl gms operate. Their job is to make their team better not yours

TFHockey already responded quite well. But if the only goalie available is Georgiev, then there is no point in trading for him because he is not considerably better than what the Oilers have.

Two goalies:
Goalie 1: 6-3-2, 2.72 GAA, .908 SV%
Goalie 2: 4-5, 2.70 GAA, .916 SV%

Goalie 1 is Georgiev, goalie 2 is Skinner. If you're trying to tell me that Georgiev will be the answer for the Oilers and cost at least a 2nd round pick, then I would hope the Oilers are out.

IMO, the cost to acquire someone like Fleury would be similar to what Vegas paid to get Lehner. Lehner was a pending UFA and not in the long term plans of the Blackhawks. That trade broke down as:

To Vegas: Lehner (@ $1.4 mill) and rights to Martins Dzierkals
To Toronto: 2020 5th round pick (retained 1.1 mill of Lehner's contract)
To Chicago: Malcolm Subban, rights to Stanislav Demin (4th round pick in 2018) and a 2020 2nd round pick, Chicago also retained 50% on Lehner.

Considering that trade, why would acquiring Fleury, in a similar situation, cost 1sts and top prospects?

Last edited:
Reactions: Moose and Squirrel

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
* Price at 50% retention and Allan = $8.125M
* Koskinen, Smith, Turris = $8.15M

:naughty:

What futures can we agree on? :sarcasm:

Just for fun, let's add Chiarot to the Oilers and move Barrie out to Montreal. If the Habs are going to retain 50% on Price we might as well go full fantasy. We are also assuming Price is healthy enough to play and is willing to go to Edmonton.

Price @ 50% + Allen + Chiarot = $11.625 M
Koskinen + Smith + Turris + Barrie = $12.65 M

I think I'd pay a lot for that, actually.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Just for fun, let's add Chiarot to the Oilers and move Barrie out to Montreal. If the Habs are going to retain 50% on Price we might as well go full fantasy. We are also assuming Price is healthy enough to play and is willing to go to Edmonton.

Price @ 50% + Allen + Chiarot = $11.625 M
Koskinen + Smith + Turris + Barrie = $12.65 M

I think I'd pay a lot for that, actually.

Comical or not, it's fun to discuss. I really do think there is a deal to be made with the Oilers and Habs. It will require a lot of back and forth and the "negative" posters to go away and not jump in the conversation in a way to derail any progress.

I'd even sweeten it up... Chiarot comes with 50% retention as well and if you want permission to talk to Chiarot on an extension, I'd let you. And I'd also let you talk to Price to get a feel for his excitement to join the Oilers and how bad his injury really is. Would you value that or not, not sure but I'd have open dialog. The goal here is to load you up for a cup and help the Habs with an accelerated rebuild. Win/Win Situation for me cause I would be cheering for the Oilers to win a cup with the Habs out of the playoffs for a while

What is a fair return in futures? I'm afraid to talk about that part :facepalm:

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Comical or not, it's fun to discuss. I really do think there is a deal to be made with the Oilers and Habs. It will require a lot of back and forth and the "negative" posters to go away and not jump in the conversation in a way to derail any progress.

I'd even sweeten it up... Chiarot comes with 50% retention as well and if you want permission to talk to Chiarot on an extension, I'd let you. And I'd also let you talk to Price to get a feel for his excitement to join the Oilers and how bad his injury really is. Would you value that or not, not sure but I'd have open dialog. The goal here is to load you up for a cup and help the Habs with an accelerated rebuild. Win/Win Situation for me cause I would be cheering for the Oilers to win a cup with the Habs out of the playoffs for a while

What is a fair return in futures? I'm afraid to talk about that part :facepalm:

Dude, I'm afraid to even say. Lots of question marks here. Say the wrong things and all hell breaks loose.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Ullmark makes a lot of sense..just not sure how the deal would go down to fit him in under the cap. Especially as Boston has no need to bring another goalie back.

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
Ullmark makes a lot of sense..just not sure how the deal would go down to fit him in under the cap. Especially as Boston has no need to bring another goalie back.

While I agree that he may make sense, potentially to both teams with Rask signing, the reality is that Ullmark signed that contract less than 6 months ago with a full NMC for the first 2 years. The likelihood of him being willing to move on after such a short amount of time is near zero unless he hates it in Boston, but I'm not sure how/why anybody would.

Oilers would be better served looking at Swayman if they wanted a goalie from Boston. Although he was anointed the future he may be the long term fix on a cheap contract that the Oilers need.

Reactions: TFHockey

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
While I agree that he may make sense, potentially to both teams with Rask signing, the reality is that Ullmark signed that contract less than 6 months ago with a full NMC for the first 2 years. The likelihood of him being willing to move on after such a short amount of time is near zero unless he hates it in Boston, but I'm not sure how/why anybody would.

Oilers would be better served looking at Swayman if they wanted a goalie from Boston. Although he was anointed the future he may be the long term fix on a cheap contract that the Oilers need.
Judging by how most Bruins fans think of Swayman, there is little chance that he is traded.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

I do think Georgiev is not a bad target depending on price to acquire and what you think he wants for an extension next year. Would you have confidence he turns into something better than Koskinon?

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
I do think Georgiev is not a bad target depending on price to acquire and what you think he wants for an extension next year. Would you have confidence he turns into something better than Koskinon?

I have my doubts about Georgeiv. I've only watched him play a handful of times but I did not like what I saw. Some Ranger fans are high on him. If he asks for $4 Million in an extension he could just turn out to be Koskinen 2.0. Basically, a glorified back up.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I have my doubts about Georgeiv. I've only watched him play a handful of times but I did not like what I saw. Some Ranger fans are high on him. If he asks for $4 Million in an extension he could just turn out to be Koskinen 2.0. Basically, a glorified back up.

I have not seen a lot of him either but I liked what I saw in the sample size I watched as well. The problem is what amount of goalie salary can the Oilers have in place as a strategy (for both goalies) and can you afford two goalies totaling lets say $7M - $8M range. Cause if you extend Gorgeiv and it fails like Koskinen, it's dead cap and you are forced to go after another $4M goalie.

Reactions: TFHockey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad