Value of: Oilers need a Goalie

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Comical or not, it's fun to discuss. I really do think there is a deal to be made with the Oilers and Habs. It will require a lot of back and forth and the "negative" posters to go away and not jump in the conversation in a way to derail any progress.

I'd even sweeten it up... Chiarot comes with 50% retention as well and if you want permission to talk to Chiarot on an extension, I'd let you. And I'd also let you talk to Price to get a feel for his excitement to join the Oilers and how bad his injury really is. Would you value that or not, not sure but I'd have open dialog. The goal here is to load you up for a cup and help the Habs with an accelerated rebuild. Win/Win Situation for me cause I would be cheering for the Oilers to win a cup with the Habs out of the playoffs for a while

What is a fair return in futures? I'm afraid to talk about that part :facepalm:

Let's just go a 1st + Bourgault + something.. ffs I dunno + Lavoie.

Looks to me that the Oilers upgrade in three positions - a LHD, a starter in Price and a back up in Allen. Plus they toss out some short term bad to mediocre contracts. I don't consider Barrie a net negative like some posters who kind of ignore what he did last year.

As stated before in this imaginary scenario (aren't they all on here?) Price is feeling great and totally wants to play in Edmonton, which is playoffs bound and only slightly less a fishbowl than Montreal.

Reactions: Mandalorian

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
You guys could trade the Wild for Talbot...oh wait...you should have traded for Dubnyk a few seasons ago...maybe you could trade for Wallstedt?

Reactions: Beerfish

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Let's just go a 1st + Bourgault + something.. ffs I dunno + Lavoie.

Looks to me that the Oilers upgrade in three positions - a LHD, a starter in Price and a back up in Allen. Plus they toss out some short term bad to mediocre contracts. I don't consider Barrie a net negative like some posters who kind of ignore what he did last year.

As stated before in this imaginary scenario (aren't they all on here?) Price is feeling great and totally wants to play in Edmonton, which is playoffs bound and only slightly less a fishbowl than Montreal.

Personally, I would not target Broberg or Bouchard cause you need them more than your forward prospects IMO. 1st, Bourgault, Holloway, Lavoie might get it done. 4 big futures and tough to swallow yes. However, I don't believe any of those 4 pieces helps you win a cup in the next 3 or 4 years. They will take time to develop more than likely

Price (50% retention) + Allen is very strong 1/2 punch. Only works if Price gets healthy though. Some would worry about that too much and it's fair but if he is healthy, it could be a cup. Allen is there to lighten the work load. About $8M for both I believe? It's $6.5M for Koskinen and Smith at the moment and Price/Allen are substantial upgrades. If I was the Oilers GM, I would want to talk to McDavid about it and also talk to Price about what he has to say about his injury and ability to be that guy for the Oilers in the next 4 years. Price is a special case and I might be bias but I would trust his word.

Who do you feel Chiarot fits well with? Also, I'm wondering if he would be content with a $3.5M AAV extension for 3 years and a chance at a cup with McDavid, Drai, Price, RNH, Nurse.

Not sure what value I would subtract for Barrie to be honest. A very solid offensive D man who is good on the PP but won't be part of our core after our rebuild. More like a body we use during the rebuild or we try to flip him somewhere else before the contract expires. If it becomes a trade talk problem, take both Barrie and Allen out and add Turris while you keep Smith as the back-up? Can't remember if you had Turris part of that package

Imagine if that deal went through. A blockbuster of all blockbusters no doubt. Highly unlikely but you never know.

Last edited:

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Personally, I would not target Broberg or Bouchard cause you need them more than your forward prospects IMO. 1st, Bourgault, Holloway, Lavoie might get it done. 4 big futures and tough to swallow yes. However, I don't believe any of those 4 pieces helps you win a cup in the next 3 or 4 years. They will take time to develop more than likely

Price (50% retention) + Allen is very strong 1/2 punch. Only works if Price gets healthy though. Some would worry about that too much and it's fair but if he is healthy, it could be a cup. Allen is there to lighten the work load. About $8M for both I believe? It's $6.5M for Koskinen and Smith at the moment and Price/Allen are substantial upgrades. If I was the Oilers GM, I would want to talk to McDavid about it and also talk to Price about what he has to say about his injury and ability to be that guy for the Oilers in the next 4 years. Price is a special case and I might be bias but I would trust his word.

Who do you feel Chiarot fits well with? Also, I'm wondering if he would be content with a $3.5M AAV extension for 3 years and a chance at a cup with McDavid, Drai, Price, RNH, Nurse.

Not sure what value I would subtract for Barrie to be honest. A very solid offensive D man who is good on the PP but won't be part of our core after our rebuild. More like a body we use during the rebuild or we try to flip him somewhere else before the contract expires. If it becomes a trade talk problem, take both Barrie and Allen out and add Turris? Can't remember if you had Turris part of that package

Imagine if that deal went through. A blockbuster of all blockbusters no doubt. Highly unlikely but you never know.

I'd have Chiarot on the 2nd pairing, left side.

Exactly how I see Barrie.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
If the Habs decide to rebuild, the Price with retention trade talk is only going to pick up. I'll be shocked if Price wants to stay and/or he is willing to throw the towel on his chase for a cup. Habs and Price are taking their time with his recovery after his clean up surgery this past off season. Why rush him back into this mess? What set backs do we know of that is of concern?

But it's just not worth it bringing up Price right now, it has been discussed over and over again and other fan bases won't ask for him so if something happens in the end great but I don't think it is useful to start another debate on this ^^

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
While I agree that he may make sense, potentially to both teams with Rask signing, the reality is that Ullmark signed that contract less than 6 months ago with a full NMC for the first 2 years. The likelihood of him being willing to move on after such a short amount of time is near zero unless he hates it in Boston, but I'm not sure how/why anybody would.

Oilers would be better served looking at Swayman if they wanted a goalie from Boston. Although he was anointed the future he may be the long term fix on a cheap contract that the Oilers need.

I imagine the cost for Swayman will be very large. Would definitely be a better solution for Edmonton.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'd have Chiarot on the 2nd pairing, left side.

Exactly how I see Barrie.

Playing with who? I think his partner is important cause he is very solid in terms of driving you nuts along the walls and in front of the net but in his time with the Habs, he is not that great at mentoring someone younger. Just an honest context into Chiarot.

Not sure about the LD issue but Chiarot could possibly play with Keith depending on who is more comfortable on the RD side. I see a fit there and I think Keith gets something from this. A big physical guy that does a lot of the work and the experienced Keith fills in where he has too.

Seras

Dubas supporter
Sep 1, 2015
New Westminster, BC. Canada
Even at 50% Price is a massive gamble that could backfire very easily. You're getting a goalie signed for five seasons (inc this one) until he's 38, sure goalies can play older than other positions, but he also hasn't played this season due to issues. Those same issues could easily become worse should he leave his home, and this is all before he has even stepped on the ice.

Just a really massive gamble that no one should touch, if Montreal want's to move Price you are much better off playing him whenever he gets back, hope he recovers from his issues and then hope he plays well.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Fair but that proven narrative is just about playing more games. Not in terms of proven #1 guy that Oilers could have faith in over Koskinen IMO.

I think there are over 40 goalies that the Oilers (or any team) should have more faith in than Koskinen, but I am pretty stubborn on my opinion of him being shit.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think there are over 40 goalies that the Oilers (or any team) should have more faith in than Koskinen, but I am pretty stubborn on my opinion of him being shit.

Something that I don't have time to look into but those who can... What are the high danger shots and shots/game look like and what has changed during the season? I'm a firm believe that goaltending and team D go hand and hand. Not saying I like Koskinen but he may look even worse due to a confidence momentum killer and there may be some context that is not standing out that matters to some degree.

Problem is now the coach has called him out and he has this black cloud following him around waiting for his next mistake. It's a mess.

Regardless of all that is said above, if the Oilers want to win a cup during McDavid's prime, they need to find a goalie they can ride with and trust for a few years. The team needs confidence in their goalie IMO and it's not there for them to believe in. Too bad Anderson was not a UFA this summer cause I had a lot of confidence he would resurface as that top 10 goalie on his new team. Canes did well

Last edited:

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Something that I don't have time to look into but those who can... What are the high danger shots and shots/game look like and what has changed during the season? I'm a firm believe that goaltending and team D go hand and hand. Not saying I like Koskinen but he may look even worse due to a confidence momentum killer and there may be some context that is not standing out that matters to some degree.

Problem is now the coach has called him out and he has this black cloud following him around waiting for his next mistake. It's a mess.

Regardless of all that is said above, if the Oilers want to win a cup during McDavid's prime, they need to find a goalie they can ride with and trust for a few years.

I agree with you. Historically Tippett coached teams have done pretty good at suppressing high danger scoring opportunities. Not sure if that has been the case this year, but it could explain Koskinen's decent numbers last year. Based on Koskinen's comments to I think the Oilers have to get him out of the room, even if it is waive to AHL and bring back Skinner. At least till this all settles out.

I am a Tippett fan, but hard to see how he survives this. Not sure if he has lost the room, or will just be a scape coat. But coaching change may benefit group and give a spark.

With how the Oilers are constructed the highs are going to be incredibly high but lows low.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I agree with you. Historically Tippett coached teams have done pretty good at suppressing high danger scoring opportunities. Not sure if that has been the case this year, but it could explain Koskinen's decent numbers last year. Based on Koskinen's comments to I think the Oilers have to get him out of the room, even if it is waive to AHL and bring back Skinner. At least till this all settles out.

I am a Tippett fan, but hard to see how he survives this. Not sure if he has lost the room, or will just be a scape coat. But coaching change may benefit group and give a spark.

With how the Oilers are constructed the highs are going to be incredibly high but lows low.
I don't think Tippett is the right fit for the Oilers, and the Oilers for him to be honest. The best he has done as a coach has been building from the net out where he could have his players play low event hockey and he could grind out some wins on the backs of solid defense and good goaltending. He has never been able to do that in Edmonton. In Arizona, he always seemed to get the most out of hard working depth guys, in Edmonton, he's not succeeding at that because he has star players to work around. Its funny that a coach can look so much better coaching middle of the road teams like Arizona was when he was there, than a team with the best player in the world and arguably the 2nd best.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Playing with who? I think his partner is important cause he is very solid in terms of driving you nuts along the walls and in front of the net but in his time with the Habs, he is not that great at mentoring someone younger. Just an honest context into Chiarot.

How do you pretend to know how good Chiarot is at mentoring younger players? What an odd thing to claim.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
He seems pretty temperamental too. Don’t know if that’s a great fit. Not to bang the Georgiev drum too much but the sense in NY is that he considers himself a starter and bristles at being relegated to backing up. A guy with a chip on his shoulder and something to prove could work out well for Edmonton. As opposed to a more established guy who maybe doesn’t want to be there, like Ullmark.

If Ullmark doesn't want to be in Edmonton he won't be as he has a NTC

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
it has nothing to do with reveling. What’s obvious to everyone is Holland has no leverage. His team is fading, his goalies either hurt and/or playing poorly.

the oil have their first and second rounders as well as a number of B type prospects like Savoie.

teams will be pushing Holland, a guy with his job on the line, to part with futures and prospects he won’t need to care about if he is fired, for a solution to his goalie woes that ail his team today. Those GMs won’t throw Holland life rafts. They’ll make it expensive.

We all know this. That is how the NHL has always operated. There is no way Drury will trade a capable and trending up, RFA protected, backup G for a pick around ~80th OA. Drury had no leverage in the Buchnevich trade and he badly lost it. He’ll drive a much harder bargain here because he can or he’ll just keep his backup as good insurance in case his starter is hurt, needs rest or is struggling. He’s got good options either way. You know who doesn’t have good options. Holland. What he has is a big problem on his hands.

You talk like you know the Oilers in a lot of threads lately but this shows you don't .

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
I think Chariot Value is a late 1st+3rd (50% retained)

Allen value is probably a 2nd. So you’ll have to add to make it work

Keep Allan . I don't want a patch job . Allan wasn't good on sound defensive team in St Louis so he sure the hell isn't the answer in Edmonton

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
I could see…

To Edmonton: Carey Price, Arturi Lehkonen

To Montreal: Dylan Holloway, Philip Broberg, 2022 first round pick and Mikko Koskanen cap

You need some glasses as your vision is really bad . Cap says no . Holloway isn't being trade and the Oilers can not trade Borberg . Look at their LD . Oh forgot you need glasses .

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
You talk like you know the Oilers in a lot of threads lately but this shows you don't .
I said you have your 1st and 2nd rounders to trade. You do.

You don’t have a 3rd or 4th rounder in 2022 at present.

Are you sure you know the Oil?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad