Value of: Oilers need a Goalie

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I don't think Tippett is the right fit for the Oilers, and the Oilers for him to be honest. The best he has done as a coach has been building from the net out where he could have his players play low event hockey and he could grind out some wins on the backs of solid defense and good goaltending. He has never been able to do that in Edmonton. In Arizona, he always seemed to get the most out of hard working depth guys, in Edmonton, he's not succeeding at that because he has star players to work around. Its funny that a coach can look so much better coaching middle of the road teams like Arizona was when he was there, than a team with the best player in the world and arguably the 2nd best.

I agree with this. He is a net out coach, but net out is where the oilers go from weakness to strength.

Reactions: TFHockey

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Cause I watch every signal Habs game and I have seen the partners Chiarot has played with?

Again, this has absolutely nothing to do with a seasoned veteran mentoring a young pro.

Claiming to know whether or not Chiarot would be a good mentor to a young defensemen based on "watching every single game" - which dozens and dozens if not hundreds of people here do - is absolutely ridiculous.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Again, this has absolutely nothing to do with a seasoned veteran mentoring a young pro.

Claiming to know whether or not Chiarot would be a good mentor to a young defensemen based on "watching every single game" - which dozens and dozens if not hundreds of people here do - is absolutely ridiculous.

Not ridiculous. I stand firm. Move on time

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
I think the Oilers need to make a big move. They can't waste these prime years of McDavid and Draisatl for nothing. The Habs wasted many years with Carey Price as Bergevin didn't want to make a splash to bring in some big talent to help them get that Stanly Cup. I know it sucks to give up, but at one point you have to go all in and push your chips to the middle of the table or else you'll be looking back with regrets. The Oilers have drafted somewhat well in the last few years, so they have some pieces they can move for immediate help. I don't know what that big move is, but having a reliable starter (a horse) that can bring you down the stretch and into the playoffs would be a good start.

poker-all-in.gif

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
but having a reliable starter (a horse) that can bring you down the stretch and into the playoffs

No. Without defense and defensive forwards it doesnt matter who you have in net. Oilers bleed chances. If they get into the playoffs, the play gets tough. Oilers doesnt have any shutdown players, so doesnt matter who their oalie is. It`s been beaten to deat - they need 2-way forwards and shutdown D:s and then see if you need a goalie.

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
Ullmark from Boston is likely available with Rask signing a PTO and playing this week in the AHL. Can the Coilers absorb his 5m cap hit or would they take Debrusk and Ullmark in a deal for Koskinen and?? Bruins bury or retain and flip Koskinen for future considerations

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
No. Without defense and defensive forwards it doesnt matter who you have in net. Oilers bleed chances. If they get into the playoffs, the play gets tough. Oilers doesnt have any shutdown players, so doesnt matter who their oalie is. It`s been beaten to deat - they need 2-way forwards and shutdown D:s and then see if you need a goalie.

Well in my defence, I said it's a "start", I didn't say that's all they need. There's definitely a few pieces missing, and one of them is a goalie.

The whole point of my post was just to say that they have to make a decision at one point if they want to compete for the Stanley Cup. These types of players (McDavid and Draisatl) don't come around every year. Take advantage.

CupSeeker

Jan 28, 2021
We’ll see if anything happens, but you need to stop with these absolutes as a way to drive up Geo’s value. He’s a streaky goalie and is no guarantee to be an upgrade. You’re probably trying to pump his value and sneak in a Geo + 3 3rds for Broberg and 2 2nds or some crap like that.

I personally don’t want anything to do with Geo.
Geo is not without risk. However, when he has been given the reins he has been really good. We are under no pressure to move him; you guys NEED a goalie or another year of McD's prime goes in the shitter. The Oil will have to overpay for him (or any other goalie) or live with what they have. These are the facts

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Ullmark from Boston is likely available with Rask signing a PTO and playing this week in the AHL. Can the Coilers absorb his 5m cap hit or would they take Debrusk and Ullmark in a deal for Koskinen and?? Bruins bury or retain and flip Koskinen for future considerations

Why are the Bruins bending over backwards to help the Oilers? They are retaining and taking on Koskinen? Where is the market to "flip Koskinen for futures?"

Koskinen would clear waivers.

McPhees Moustache

Dec 11, 2021
Calgary
I said you have your 1st and 2nd rounders to trade. You do.

You don’t have a 3rd or 4th rounder in 2022 at present.

Are you sure you know the Oil?

3rd Rounder can become a second - can't trade the second rounder unless it also has conditions allowing for the initial trade

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Why are the Bruins bending over backwards to help the Oilers? They are retaining and taking on Koskinen? Where is the market to "flip Koskinen for futures?"

Koskinen would clear waivers.
Well, the other guy was asking what else would need to be added. The question at hand was Ullmark and Debrusk for Koskinen and ??? I don't really want Debrusk at his current cap hit, but there would need to be an add in this deal, I think the key is finding what the ??? is, rather than just crying about Boston bending over backwards to help Edmonton.

ElPrimeTime

Dec 23, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Geo is not without risk. However, when he has been given the reins he has been really good. We are under no pressure to move him; you guys NEED a goalie or another year of McD's prime goes in the shitter. The Oil will have to overpay for him (or any other goalie) or live with what they have. These are the facts
His stats on the year are worse than Skinner. Why trade assets for a player that isn’t a clear cut better option? I’d rather we give Skinner a proper shot.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Well, the other guy was asking what else would need to be added. The question at hand was Ullmark and Debrusk for Koskinen and ??? I don't really want Debrusk at his current cap hit, but there would need to be an add in this deal, I think the key is finding what the ??? is, rather than just crying about Boston bending over backwards to help Edmonton.

Is the ? bourgault? If so what else would need to be added OR is the ? Broberg? My guess is that Broberg is important piece to the Oliers future future.

is Ullmark the answer?

Qualifying DeBrusk and adding Ullmark will make Oilers cap tight.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Ullmark from Boston is likely available

That's up to him though, is Edmonton an address more attractive than Boston? The Oilers will likely have a hard time getting someone to waive their NMC in order to join a perennial crisis team in the prairies.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Is the ? bourgault? If so what else would need to be added OR is the ? Broberg? My guess is that Broberg is important piece to the Oliers future future.

is Ullmark the answer?

Qualifying DeBrusk and adding Ullmark will make Oilers cap tight.
I don't think the Oilers would qualify Debrusk. I don't actually think they want him right now. Maybe could kick tires in the off season as a free agent when he gets there, but I think the real question is what would need to be involved to get just Ullmark. Recognizing that the cost might hurt.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario

Crying?

What are you talking about?

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
I think the Oilers need to make a big move. They can't waste these prime years of McDavid and Draisatl for nothing. The Habs wasted many years with Carey Price as Bergevin didn't want to make a splash to bring in some big talent to help them get that Stanly Cup. I know it sucks to give up, but at one point you have to go all in and push your chips to the middle of the table or else you'll be looking back with regrets. The Oilers have drafted somewhat well in the last few years, so they have some pieces they can move for immediate help. I don't know what that big move is, but having a reliable starter (a horse) that can bring you down the stretch and into the playoffs would be a good start.

poker-all-in.gif

I think the Oilers, even Holland, are desperate to go all in at the deadline.

The issue is the cap... they are already into LTIR space and if I understand cap friendly have only $920K to spend at the deadline. That means any upgrades are actually going to have to be dollar in, dollar out.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005

If you are Edmonton and you need to improve your goaltending WITH CERTAINTY, why would you be interested in Georgiev? It's arguable he isn't even a half-measure against an issue that is currently sinking their season.

I mean Georgiev isn't even putting up an AVERAGE NHL save percentage on a team that is near tops in the league. In fact, other than his rookie year he has never been anything other than a promising, but underperforming prospect goalie. He has a career average 0.911 save percentage against the NHL average of 0.910.

He's the definition of: does not move the needle.

Oilers have a bigger problem than Georgiev can fix.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
I don't think the Oilers would qualify Debrusk. I don't actually think they want him right now. Maybe could kick tires in the off season as a free agent when he gets there, but I think the real question is what would need to be involved to get just Ullmark. Recognizing that the cost might hurt.

Bourgault + for Ullmark?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad