Confirmed with Link: Oilers hire Stan Bowman as GM & Executive VP- press conference at 10:30

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Considering the horrific optics and JJ still going for it. It kinda points to Bowman being “worth it”. Being a good candidate, so good that JJ would risk the optics.

I guess it just depends on if you trust JJs interview process and judgement. If you do, you’ll like the hire, if you dont, you won’t (from a hockey standpoint).
I’m the forever optimist with this team. The Eakins hire, Hitch, Mclelland, Tippett, Woodcroft, Chia, Holland…gave them all the benefit of doubt and believed they would be good hires.

Knoblauch I wasn’t sure about but he won me over for the obvious reasons why. I’m taking the same wait and see approach with this hire but he has a direct impact on player personnel and the cap from that hockey perspective, which was questionable in Chicago, aside from the off-ice occurrence. Let’s see what he does.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Yes I probably would be fired but it would be worth it and whether they wanted to persue legal action against me personally wouldn’t factor in. I would not stay silent nobody should ever stay silent.
I feel the same way. But if my boss says to focus on a very important time of my job, and that HE will look after this and deal with it, I probably proceed to do my own job and trust he will do his. And I suspect most people on here would do the same if that situation were presented to them. Unless I totally don't trust him to deal with it, but I have no idea what the relationship was between them, other than boss and underling.

phreak

Dec 23, 2014
Are people here real pissed about it like on Reddit? Biggest complainers ever on that site.

I wouldn’t have hired Bowman but f*** it, let’s see how he does. People can learn from their mistakes and not be exiled from society and all industries. I’m willing to give him a chance, not like we have a choice anyway.

No one is saying he needs to be exiled from society and all industries. The man should still be allowed to earn a living. He does deserve a second chance, but GM of the Oilers? Lmao. Something like flipping burgers or stocking shelves where he isn't in charge of people is more suitable. And there's nothing wrong with either of those professions. He can still contribute to society and earn a living.

Reginald Dunlop

Apr 8, 2014
I've heard, "needed towork his way back." What exactly does this entail? Start at a car wash? Towel boy? ticket taker? I doubt he'd be good at any of those, and there would still be a pile of scrutiny on him. GM is his occupation. He either gets hired in that capacity, or he doesn't. Weren't the last 2 years plus working his way back into the "good books" with councelling, therapy, meeting with the victim, and also with Kennedy, etc. ? How long do you think, is long enough? 3 years? 5 years? 15 years? I'm not sure what the book on this says you do. I think every case is different and people ultimately get judged on their individual merits, remorse and growth. The Oilers needed a GM, and they hired one, one that they thought would be the best fit for their team. Every other team has that position filled at the moment. I'm not a betting man, but if the Oilers didn't pull the trigger on this, I wouldn't bet against that another organization would take a chance on hiring him when the opportunity arose? (Probably next off season, right after the annual firings and housecleanings begin)
To your last point, Bowman did confirm today he had offers for positions (didn't specify what position) from other teams so you are correct.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I feel the same way. But if my boss says to focus on a very important time of my job, and that HE will look after this and deal with it, I probably proceed to do my own job and trust he will do his. And I suspect most people on here would do the same if that situation were presented to them. Unless I totally don't trust him to deal with it, but I have no idea what the relationship was between them, other than boss and underling.
100%. :nod:

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Kudos to the woman from CTV who mentioned the other victims. Jackson and Bowman came in expecting a softball game and that question clearly got under their skin.
I believe there isn't much they could say on that matter, as there was a non disclosure signed with his/their settlement.

Reactions: oilers'72

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
For a company, they have to do everything as a blanket. Can't pick and choose.

But, it's hypocritical as they probably come back to a new hire with, oh we only could get a hold of 1 of your 3 References, could you provide another 2? But, yet, hypocritically won't provide you with a reference after you leave. What happened to you get what you give? How can you expect to get a reference when you don't give one out?

If you make the hire, you own it and take everything that comes with it. That's what the owner and President have to do.
Not sure what you mean by this.

There are firms I am aware of that as per policy DO NOT give references of any kind. Not even form letters. Due to prior difficulties they refuse the practice. Ironically one I am aware of still expect references while refusing to grant them.

Hypocritical? sure. The way of the present litigious world, yes, increasingly.

Trouble for all firms is references today are gobshite. Even the most glorious references may be attained suspiciously,

No one is saying he needs to be exiled from society and all industries. The man should still be allowed to earn a living. He does deserve a second chance, but GM of the Oilers? Lmao. Something like flipping burgers or stocking shelves where he isn't in charge of people is more suitable. And there's nothing wrong with either of those professions. He can still contribute to society and earn a living.
At least one person here is saying he should be made to work at convenience stores for the rest of his being...

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton

This is the thing for me. Particularly if he's summarily fired in the short term future - I'd assume it's just dealt with.

I certainly wouldn't be stalking the guy and contacting his next employer and checking where he is volunteering and stuff. Wouldn't have crossed my mind.

Maybe it should going forward I suppose.

Morpheus

nuckin’ futz
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2007
Oak Island - Lot #32
Not sure if i missed it, but does anyone know the terms and or details of the signing??? Years and money????

Fk i hate this signing. Just when we think we r moving forward we get pulled back 3 steps

Just paraphrasing here but stove top Stauffer just mentioned on Oilers Now that Bowman is here long term and fans will have to wait for the usual media pundits to report the contract details

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
This team is just cannot look past the allure of "Cup winning GM". If JJ is going to be running the ship anyway, this just seems like a "well this GM has won 3 Cups, so he knows a thing or two about winning" novelty hire.

Reading about the case it does seem like Bowman did less wrong here than Quinnville and the Hawks president who said he would take care of the issue. And it sounds like Bowman has made amends with Beach. Good for him. Still, I don't see the point of taking on bad optics for someone who wasn't that great in the last few years in Chicago.

It feels like they felt like had to have a big name GM in the Draisaitl negotiations to say "well this guy has won 3 Cups so we're definitely serious about Cups". I would have hired Botteril instead, but I guess they were scared of going into there by saying "hey this is the Buffalo GM and look what a tire fire they are", even though I don't think a lot of the Sabres situation was Botteril's fault.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
There sure a lot of accounts on here that you don't normally see. Decrying the decision, and saying they're giving up supporting the team...
0760f765e03aa790e3df0b82c4b660d5.gif

Shathar

Jul 23, 2009
Moncton, New Brunswi
The only thing I know about Bowman is, well, this stuff.

It is hard to get behind anyone who shirks such an important responsibility, but so many do. Cowards and 'yes' men are everywhere. This is an issue of character; the 'abuse' is a byproduct.

I'm not sure what you learn in two years when ur a coward. I am calling him a coward only because I am giving him the benefit of the doubt. If he feels the way most of us do, then being a coward is the only conculsion I can draw.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
What a stupid post lol. Nice alt too. 🤪

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
The Oilers could have won the cup in 2016-17 if Chia was smarter with assets management. That's 2 years after McDavid draft. Even if we had a bad contract like Lucic. our draft picks and the right trade would have put the Oilers over the top and we would be talking about a dynasty

A core of;
McDavid
Drai
Erickson EK
Aho/Hintz
Ryan McDonagh(2016 1st trade)
Marino(would have stayed an Oiler if Chia wasn't fired)
RNH
Eberle
Klef
Nurse
Hall/Larsson
Prime Talbot

So yes, Chia inherited a lot
The team he 'inherited' was a lottery team at the cap ceiling. They also had the weakest farm system in the league beyond the guys they were pulling from said lottery.

If I picked the right lottery numbers last week, I'd be a millionaire. That's the logic you're using when you suggest that the Oilers were a Cup contender out of the McDavid draft. That team was ass.

Trading Hall for Larsson and signing Sekera gave the Oilers some semblance of a defense, but they were a mushy middle team. Even if they could've traded for Hamilton instead of Larsson, they weren't beating the big dogs with their trash depth.

The right move was always torching anything pre-2015 and stockpiling futures. They would've turned it around much faster with those trade chips instead of toiling for eight years, slowly adding that depth.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
The only thing I know about Bowman is, well, this stuff.

It is hard to get behind anyone who shirks such an important responsibility, but so many do. Cowards and 'yes' men are everywhere. This is an issue of character; the 'abuse' is a byproduct.

I'm not sure what you learn in two years when ur a coward. I am calling him a coward only because I am giving him the benefit of the doubt. If he feels the way most of us do, then being a coward is the only conculsion I can draw.
Did he shirk his responsibility though? Or did his boss, the President of the Club, McDonagh take that responsibility on his own shoulders when he told Bowman, Chevy, Q, and others in that meeting that he would handle it.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
If other GMs in this League black ball making deals with Bowman due to bad PR, this could be a horrific signing from a hockey standpoint.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Social Media is so disgusting right now holy f***. Oiler fans are simply as disgusting as the guy who is GM now. Disgusting, selfish and racist. Just unbelievable

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

So here is the scenario:

You and your boss are made aware that someone who works under you has sexually assaulted someone they are in a position of power over.

Over the next few days or weeks you show up to work and the person who sexually assaulted that person is still working and is still in a position where they could potentially interact with the person they victimized. No suspension pending an investigation. Nothing. Just business as usual until the important project is completed?

You’re just going to be quiet about that and let it proceed?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad