Roster Building Thread - Part XII(Training Camp/Preseason)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Personally I don't mind the fight after one of our guys throws a clean hit. There's no reason for our guy to start it though and ideally the other guy goes off for 17 and a power play for us. That said there is a caveat even here. If our guy is more impactful to our lineup than their guy it's not a big deal to me if our guy tells the other guy to go pound salt.

Some fights are just going to happen because two players are pissed at each other. Throwing a huge hit and pissing off the other guy---it's his issue then not our player. So.......anyway things like this should be done for strategic or tactical reasons.....not just because somebody goes off because he's lost control of his temper.

This has happened a number of times the past few years to our benefit after Trouba really wallops somebody and that player or someone else retaliates. I don't mind Jacob fighting when challenged if it's smart--sometimes he's had little choice with someone running right at him and sometimes we don't get the power play we should get. Last year he turned down Deslauriers who chased him down the ice where Jacob smoked Hathaway. That was one of the more hilarious things that happened last season. It wouldn't have been smart for him to fight Deslauriers because Nicolas probably would have killed him but it didn't stop Trouba from blasting Hathaway with Deslauriers still right there. That was a good play and if I remember we ended up on the power play.

Reactions: Lion Hound

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
I’ve seen a few people talking up Mancini, am I missing something with this guy?

He seems like your run of the mill prospect that every team has and fanbase subsequently overrates

Nothing about him screams NHL player to me

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
I’ve seen a few people talking up Mancini, am I missing something with this guy?

He seems like your run of the mill prospect that every team has and fanbase subsequently overrates

Nothing about him screams NHL player to me
He came from college and didn't look out of place in Hartford and he also did it in the playoffs as a 1st time pro. Maybe its a flash in the pan, maybe he has potential. Anything can happen and with the lack of younger defense prospects in pro, so fans hoping that Mancini can add NHL quality depth.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
What draft picks? We barely have any left for the next few years (especially seconds).
I know, it's fairly barron, thankfully we have some players already drafted that can jump in the next few years. If you look at our cap, it's gonna get harder and harder to win, Panarin, Kreider and Zibs all getting older and Shesterkin and Fox with large contracts. It's the year to go for it, and we may have to reset a bit after that but I believe if managed right our window can continue fairly quickly.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Mancini was a first pair stay at home D fo ar Nebraska-Omaha team that went to the NCAA playoffs. His partner there put up the points. His job was to keep the best opposition players off the scoresheet and he was one of the top defenders in college hockey last year.

He was 6'4 and somewhere around 225 lbs last year. He skates really well. He defends really well. Those three things combined pretty much are all you need to become an NHL defenseman. When he signed with Hartford late last season he became a top 4 D for the Pack almost immediately with his coach former long time NHL defenseman and Stanley Cup winner Steve Smith raving about him pretty much from the start. He was arguably the Pack's most reliable defender right from the jump from the NCAA through the tail end of the regular season and into the playoffs.

He's not going to put up a lot of points. Think Ryan Lindgren. Lindgren isn't 6'4 and 225 lbs. though. The other difference is he's a right shot. Now it could be argued the Pack's defense wasn't a lot to write home about. The 6 they went with in the playoffs were Mancini, Hollowell, Scanlin, Robertson, Hillman and Brouillard. The Pack made it to the third round but overall in 10 games only scored 20 goals while giving up 32. Somehow Mancini ended up as a +5 when his team overall was a -12.

Basically that's the case so far for Mancini being a top defense prospect for us. It's not the usual by the way for a college player to hit the pros (whether the AHL or NHL) late in a season running. They usually need some adjusting.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Fighting after a clean hit is the most asinine part of hockey

If one of our star players gets lit up, clean hit or not, someone better drop the gloves and give them a beating. I have no problem with a fight after a clean hit at times. You want to protect your star players.

Also, the game happens fast, and players aren't always sure a hit was clean or not in the moment, they aren't going to watch the replay in slow motion like us at home before they decide.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Before I get to Mancini, because Drury didn’t really change defense (let’s put aside reasons why) it seems that Jones has an inside track to be a part of top-6. Two scenarios Laviolette likely to start with Lindgren again getting to play with Fox and showing that he is (much) improved on the defensive side over his performance last season. That means that Jones would be playing with Schneider or Trouba.

If Lindgren’s struggles from last season continues over the first part of the season I don’t see how Laviolette won’t try to address it by starting to play with D combos probably moving Miller up to join Fox on the top pair and hopefully Jones into top-4 dropping Lindgren all the way to third pair.

Mancini is likely to start in Hartford and hopefully be to first call up in case of injuries. Any possibility of him playing for NYR earlier could be based on his ability to play on the off-side because of how the team’s RD/LD split is constructed.

Reactions: eco's bones

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
If one of our star players gets lit up, clean hit or not, someone better drop the gloves and give them a beating. I have no problem with a fight after a clean hit at times. You want to protect your star players.

Also, the game happens fast, and players aren't always sure a hit was clean or not in the moment, they aren't going to watch the replay in slow motion like us at home before they decide.
I disagree. This approach is exactly why it is still in the league. If you want this type of fighting out of the game all teams have to (should) let clean hit stay “unanswered “ in this manner. If any of our star players will be on the receiving end of a clean hit - so be it: it’s on them to not put themselves in this situation period.

Reactions: JCProdigy

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I disagree. This approach is exactly why it is still in the league. If you want this type of fighting out of the game all teams have to (should) let clean hit stay “unanswered “ in this manner. If any of our star players will be on the receiving end of a clean hit - so be it: it’s on them to not put themselves in this situation period.
Again, there is still the second half of my argument, players don't always know if the hit was clean or not at the time.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Again, there is still the second half of my argument, players don't always know if the hit was clean or not at the time.
In these limited situations if they don’t know they should be err on the side that the hit was clean - if not their teams should enjoy a PP and again in general there will be opportunities to address this later if needed. Part way to achieve it would be on the refs to severely penalize bad hits and even more severely punish post-clean hit instigators.

Reactions: TominNC

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Every team has a Mancini and they very rarely become anything better than a 7th defenseman.
Not to put you on the spot, but as someone who personally hasn't watched Mancini more than once, what do you see holding him back from being a #5-6 project?

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
I want to see Cuylle get a chance on the PP2. Id like to see him work with Kreider on deflections. He'd be better assett than weak soft fumbling Kakko.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Elliot saying Shesty will be the highest paid goalie in the league. Not a shocker.
8x10.5 makes him highest paid, if he takes a deal somewhere else he'll need 12 per to get the same money over 7 years, I'm doubtful that's in the cards.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
I want to see Cuylle get a chance on the PP2. Id like to see him work with Kreider on deflections. He'd be better assett than weak soft fumbling Kakko.
We're all hoping Kakko isn't weak or fumbling next year. My hope for cuylle is that he can get some pk time in and get a role in that regard.

Reactions: RangersFan1994

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT

I don't want fighting out of the league.

I want my players to address guys when they lay out our stars, dirty or CLEAN.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
I don't want fighting out of the league.

I want my players to address guys when they lay out our stars, dirty or CLEAN.
i don't mind a fight after a big hit, but the guy getting jumped for laying a clean hit should not be penalized 5 for fighting, and the guy who jumped him should get 5 + instigator + 10 minute misconduct.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
i don't mind a fight after a big hit, but the guy getting jumped for laying a clean hit should not be penalized 5 for fighting, and the guy who jumped him should get 5 + instigator + 10 minute misconduct.

I can agree with this. If you want to fight someone over a clean hit, fine, but make some attempt to square off with him. For an example a few years back against the Avalanche Lindgren caught Donskoi carrying the puck over the Rangers blue line with his head down and crushed him but then Kadri jumps Lindgren from behind and pummels him. The hit was clean and Ryan really had no chance to defend himself because he had no chance against someone coming at him from behind.

LannyMcdonald

Feb 4, 2011
Toronto
8x10.5 makes him highest paid, if he takes a deal somewhere else he'll need 12 per to get the same money over 7 years, I'm doubtful that's in the cards.
Does anyone else worry about the effect of Benoit Allaire stepping away? He’s the guy who made Hank, and Talbot and Raanta both looked a whole lot better under his watch than they did on other teams…

It takes a village, after all ;)

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Does anyone else worry about the effect of Benoit Allaire stepping away? He’s the guy who made Hank, and Talbot and Raanta both looked a whole lot better under his watch than they did on other teams…

It takes a village, after all ;)
Lundqvist was a record-setting goalie in Sweden before he came over. Allaire obviously helped him grow, as Lundqvist himself has said, but it was his talent, work ethic, and competitive nature that made him. I think you can say the same for Shesterkin, who was considered to be one of the best two or three goalies outside of the NHL before he came over. He seems to be similar to Lundqvist with his ultra-competitive nature.

I wouldn't worry too much about him. And Allaire is still around even if it's in a different capacity.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl

Disagree. I think the guy getting jumped should get 5 for fighting (if he's, you know, fighting) as well but the instigator should be an automatic PP and the misconduct should be at the referees discretion (Ie... did the guy laying the hit see the guy coming, etc...)

So:

Hitter: 5 PIM's for fighting
Jumper: Automatic 2 + 5 + discretionary 10

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad