Confirmed with Link: Oilers hire Stan Bowman as GM & Executive VP- press conference at 10:30

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
You realize having this market "in the palm of his hands" means absolutely nothing to this hockey team, right? This forum is not reality.
I'm talking about optics. Having the approval of a market should mean something and he should care about what the paying customers think.
Ultimately, this is Edmonton and it's a highly successful team so I think Jackson knows that regardless of who he'd hire that the fans are going to fill the seats and the engine will continue humming so there was definitely a certain arrogance to this move knowing that it won't effect the bottom line but the optics of this suck regardless. I think that's undeniable.

Regardless, I've said my peace so we'll just see how it plays out.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
It seems for JJ, experience was a main factor. And of the candidates out there (there really didn’t seem to be many), Bowman had the most experience.
The Oilers went with “experience” the last two shit hires too. Maybe we should have tried something new?

Reactions: Thomas Tatar

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
The Oilers could have won the cup in 2016-17 if Chia was smarter with assets management. Even if we had a bad contract like Lucic. our draft picks and the right trade would have put the Oilers over the top.

A core of;
McDavid
Drai
Erickson EK/Barzal
Aho/Hintz
Ryan McDonagh(2016 1st trade)
Marino(would have stayed an Oiler if Chia wasn't fire)
RNH
Eberle
Klef
Nurse
Prime Talbot
Hall/Larsson
As screwy as Chia was, that was some bad shit that happened with Sekera not fully coming back from his knee injury, Larrsons dad's death and subsequently and surprisingly signing with another team, and Klefbom's deterioration in the prime of his career. Basically got absolutely nothing for 3 top 4 dmen. Along with Chia's incompetence, the perfect storm for a lot of pain for this team.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
The Oilers went with “experience” the last two shit hires too. Maybe we should have tried something new?
I think Hollands Experience was a net positive for us though. His connections around the League helped us find trades that were needed. Where he failed was mostly in the scouting department and signing negotiations, stuff that can now be supplemented and supported by JJ.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
As screwy as Chia was, that was some bad shit that happened with Sekera not fully coming back from his knee injury, Larrsons dad's death and subsequently and surprisingly signing with another team, and Klefbom's deterioration in the prime of his career. Basically got absolutely nothing for 3 top 4 dmen. Along with Chia's incompetence, the perfect storm for a lot of pain for this team.
Sekera's health, Klef's shoulder and unfortunately Larsson's dad passing away came after the 2016-17. So even if we lost these guys, we could have still had Marino, Nurse and McDonagh and a ton of cap space for other UFA Ds and we'd be stacked in the forward position

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I think Hollands Experience was a net positive for us though. His connections around the League helped us find trades that were needed. Where he failed was mostly in the scouting department and signing negotiations, stuff that can now be supplemented and supported by JJ.
Ken Holland is the reason this organization didn’t win a cup.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I really don’t know what to think about Bowman. We can’t say we weren’t prepared for it, it’s been rumoured for several weeks now but to see it come to fruition…egad. Based upon the whole Chicago thing, it’s horrendous, horrendous optics, no matter what he’s done to show he’s tried to improve himself and prove to others he should get another chance as an executive at the pro level (any level for that matter).

Would other teams not let their assistants interview or did someone else turn it down? It’s hard for me to invest 100% this was the not just the first choice, but the best choice.

Reactions: oilers'72

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Not sure what the point of of this shit is.

MacT went to jail as well and spent his life making amends. Bowman sent Aldrich away to abuse some kids and seems like he's done little other than like wait a bit.
What a convoluted system of logic. Bowman didn't assault anybody, He didn't murder anybody. he wasn't convicted of anything.

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
Gm is becoming more of a role where its about not making awful decisions rather than brilliant moves. Stan Bowman has made some truly awful moves. I don't know how Jackson passes on so many other options for him especially with the baggage he brings.

MacT went to jail as well and spent his life making amends. Bowman sent Aldrich away to abuse some kids and seems like he's done little other than like wait a bit.
I will never get the mact apologists. We have guys like Bowman and ptos to virtanen specifically because we looked the other way on guys like mact.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Sekera's health, Klef's shoulder and unfortunately Larsson's dad passing away came after the 2016-17. So even if we lost these guys, we could have still had Marino, Nurse and McDonagh and a ton of cap space for other UFA Ds and we'd be stacked in the forward position
Unfortunately, we had baby McJeezus and baby Draisaitl though. Two supreme talents a ways from rounding out their games and becoming men. And even IF Marino chose to sign here, he would have been a baby as well, probably 3-4 years at least from really becoming a competent dman. Nurse is Nurse and was always gonna Nurse.

Did you also forget how to read?:rolleyes:

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
From a hockey standpoint, do you think GMs would be more willing or less willing to deal with Bowman after the Beach incident? Or would it not matter?

IMO, GMs act like a boys club and would support eachother. Would support a GM coming back from a situation like that. If that’s the case, this could be a good GM hire from a hockey standpoint.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
You realize having this market "in the palm of his hands" means absolutely nothing to this hockey team, right? This forum is not reality.

JJ has big balls, I’ll give him that. Like all hires and trades, proof will be in the pudding. If the team is successful, and Bowman makes smart moves that help in that regard, and he continues his work he’s been doing to improve himself and hockey in general, then this will one day be looked at as a positive hire. I really hope that’s how it turns out. What’s done is done, wasn’t my choice, but to this point JJ hasn’t given me any reason not to trust his decisions, so will give him and Bowman the opportunity to show it was the right decision.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Bowman also traded a guy who is 5th in the league in scoring since that deal for a 2nd line tweener.

Guess he’s the worst GM in the league.

There’s no denying Bowman made some shrewd moves early in this Blackhawks tenure as GM. He also made some terrible ones that forced his own hand into bad deals and shut the teams window earlier than it should have closed and the last 4 or 5 years of his tenure in Chicago are awful.

And the Oilers signed Connor Brown cuz of McDavid, and got Knobby and Jackson cuz of McDavid, and aside from his contract, it gospel around here that Nurse will never be traded cuz of McDavid

Pretty sure Chicago's 2 star players had ALOT to do w/ that trade since it was well known Panarin was leaving

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I really don’t know what to think about Bowman. We can’t say we weren’t prepared for it, it’s been rumoured for several weeks now but to see it come to fruition…egad. Based upon the whole Chicago thing, it’s horrendous, horrendous optics, no matter what he’s done to show he’s tried to improve himself and prove to others he should get another chance as an executive at the pro level (any level for that matter).

Would other teams not let their assistants interview or did someone else turn it down? It’s hard for me to invest 100% this was the not just the first choice, but the best choice.
Considering the horrific optics and JJ still going for it. It kinda points to Bowman being “worth it”. Being a good candidate, so good that JJ would risk the optics.

I guess it just depends on if you trust JJs interview process and judgement. If you do, you’ll like the hire, if you dont, you won’t (from a hockey standpoint).

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
And the Oilers signed Connor Brown cuz of McDavid, and got Knobby and Jackson cuz of McDavid, and aside from his contract, it gospel around here that Nurse will never be traded cuz of McDavid

Pretty sure Chicago's 2 star players had ALOT to do w/ that trade since it was well known Panarin was leaving
People forget Toews and Kane wanted Saad back and Panarin wanted too much $$

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Weird because there's definitely a very large contingent of negative reaction about this hire, both from a PR and an ability perspective. Hardly just me decrying this hire.

As for Holland, your constant bellyaching about the starting goalie suggests to me that you weren't satisfied with at least a part of his work either.
You'd be negative about whoever they hired.

That's all you do.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Just to clear up a COMMON misconception about the Beach incident. No reference letters were made for Aldrich by Bowman or anyone at the Hawks organization. Should clear this up now, so that in years from now we won't have to hear about it like we still hear about Kane being a "wife beater":

One common allegation is that the Blackhawks gave Aldrich a reference letter or recommendation for future jobs. Jenner & Block dug intot his and found no evidence of this: “After leaving his employment with the Blackhawks, Aldrich went on to work and volunteer at USA Hockey, the University of Notre Dame, Miami University of Ohio, and Houghton High School. None of the witnesses we interviewed recalled anyone at the Blackhawks providing a written or verbal reference for Aldrich to his future employers. When interviewed, Aldrich stated that he did not list any Blackhawks employees as references on job applications, nor did he ask anyone from the Blackhawks to vouch for him or make any calls on his behalf.”

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
Are people here real pissed about it like on Reddit? Biggest complainers ever on that site.

I wouldn’t have hired Bowman but f*** it, let’s see how he does. People can learn from their mistakes and not be exiled from society and all industries. I’m willing to give him a chance, not like we have a choice anyway.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad