Confirmed with Link: Oilers hire Stan Bowman as GM & Executive VP- press conference at 10:30

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
Someone needs to sarcastically ask in the presser "is Bob Nicholson also still with the organization?"

Reactions: Porkleaker

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
1721837766323.png

Like two shit peas in a shit pod.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
I coach youth hockey. I subscribe to having the necessary moral compass to teach young men to be better people and hopefully better hockey players.

If I get asked about this on the weekend my answer is that the Edmonton Oilers/NHL do not care about moral compass/character or culture. They care about money and winning. They also care about those in the club, and they take care of each other.

Do not use NHL players, employees or management in any semblance of your guide to be a good human being. They will most certainly and always disappoint you.

Vagabond

Dec 24, 2004
Edmonton
So it's not Mark Hunter?

I'll judge more after I've delved deeper into his background. Sometimes everyone only believes what the media throws out there and ignores the other side.

Hopefully Bowman turns out to be a great GM and a decent person. Time will tell.

Last edited:

Oilers88

Jun 19, 2011
Well shit.

The Oilers did an Oilers thing. I am going to try and go in open minded, but if you had given me a list of the options, Bowman might have been my last choice.

Reactions: Porkleaker

dem

Mar 17, 2002
Not sure I would have signed up for this circus... but I'm not gonna dogpile on Stan Bowman.

A whole lot of people in that organization handled the situation badly.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Also shouldn't need to be said but don't harass the person managing the Oilers' Twitter account. They're just a person doing their job, they don't have anything to do with the hiring process.

Reactions: oilers'72

Kamus

Oct 21, 2005
I coach youth hockey. I subscribe to having the necessary moral compass to teach young men to be better people and hopefully better hockey players.

If I get asked about this on the weekend my answer is that the Edmonton Oilers/NHL do not care about moral compass/character or culture. They care about money and winning. They also care about those in the club, and they take care of each other.

Do not use NHL players, employees or management in any semblance of your guide to be a good human being. They will most certainly and always disappoint you.
The crazy thing is I don’t think they like winning either with this move…. That’s how bad it is beyond the obvious PR-sexual assault

Reactions: elmeroil

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Okay dirt aside.

What good he did in Chicago:
Brought in Hossa
Brought in Panarin
Kept the Kane, Toews, Keith, Seabrook, Saad first deals manageable

Anything else?
Yep- was horrible at cap management. Whenever he had a little space- he would go over spend on players that really don’t move the needle- very Holland-esque in that manner. Overpaying players is his thing. Massively disappointed

PositiveCashFlow

Snowmen fall to earth unassembled
Jul 10, 2007
Now I'm tempted to head over to CP and see what they're saying.

First taxpayers in Edmonton are helping fund a new arena in Calgary (which they actually need tbh) now this. Big day for Flames fans

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
It’s not spin. There are two reports by two organizations Bowman worked with, one led by Sheldon Kennedy who is not media but a victim.

If he endorses Bowman then far be it from me to pass judgement on him from any perceived moral high ground I feel I might be standing on.
Doesn't work like that. Sheldon has probably been paid a shit load of money to his organization. He's not an unbiased entity.

PositiveCashFlow

Snowmen fall to earth unassembled
Jul 10, 2007
Okay dirt aside.

What good he did in Chicago:
Brought in Hossa
Brought in Panarin
Kept the Kane, Toews, Keith, Seabrook, Saad first deals manageable

Anything else?
The thread on the 'Hawks site said he had a few ok draft picks right before he was let go which may work out. Just don't let him trade with Columbus.

But that's just the hockey side. imo the human side take precedence

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad