Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
Other than maybe general info that these players were in discussions with other teams, are people naive enough to think that the agents for Broberg and Holloway were sharing detailed information regarding negotiations with other clubs?

Again, the blame of Oiler management, particularly Bowman, is laughable. If the Oilers announced that Broberg deal yesterday as their own, the level of outrage here would have lasted months.

Last edited:

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Saying this in words and not in action.

So If some firm offered you 3-4X what you are getting paid now you would just turn it down? You'd tell your family, spouse, friends you're doing that?

No guarantees of a cup anywhere in a 33 team league. You take the money. Of course.

1M these days is hardly "set for life". Understanding as well the players expenses, taxes, etc.
Yup you take it, but it’s not the employers fault you took it

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
I guess it comes down to how much you value money.

He's already made over a million in his career. His family is set for life. I'd be more than happy to trade a few million for a good chance at a Cup if I were him.
There's such a huge difference between 1.8 and 9 million though. I doubt there's a single player who in Broberg's position would turn down that contract. So I don't see how it's a bad look, no one would turn that down.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Match both deals and figure out the cap for the season. Next August trade Holloway for Mcleod since he was happy to be an Oiler and then trade Broberg to a bottom feeder team and let him spend a chunk of his career losing.

Reactions: gordonhught

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Other than maybe general info the these players were in discussions with other teams, are people naive enough to think that the agents for Broberg and Holloway were sharing detailed information regarding negotiations with other clubs?

Again, the blame of Oiler management, particularly Bowman, is laughable. If the Oilers announced that Broberg deal yesterday as their own, the level of outrage here would have lasted months.

I find the discourse here wild.

I wouldn't match the Broberg offer sheet if we had 15M cap space but apparently not being mad at Jackson for the Blues making a dumb decision means I'm a management boot licker now.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
It's their fault that we have so much dead cap that every summer we are basically taking some RFAs straight to August/September basically thinking we can strong arm them into taking less money.

This year we should have had $5 million cap increase, we got $0 cap increase because of Holland's mistakes ($3.25 million dead cap on Brown, $1.1 million dead cap on Campbell).

That tied our hands with these RFAs this year.

Well, this year it turns out there were consequences for that. Several million overpay on Nurse also.
Who cares about dead space, who cares about that, we have room and time to get a deal done with players you sunk millions into for no return. Bad look on the players to even accept.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Saying this in words and not in action.

So If some firm offered you 3-4X what you are getting paid now you would just turn it down? You'd tell your family, spouse, friends you're doing that?

No guarantees of a cup anywhere in a 33 team league. You take the money. Of course.

1M these days is hardly "set for life". Understanding as well the players expenses, taxes, etc.
Hockey is different than regular life.

You're working every day since you could basically skate to win a Stanley Cup. I'd rather spend my money on having the best chance at that than buying a fancy car.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
Yup you take it, but it’s not the employers fault you took it
It's the employer's fault that they couldn't meet fairly reasonable demands prior to the offer sheet becoming an option (though I would balk at even 1.8 million).

I think the Oilers likely didn't consider someone offering such an outrageous contract for Broberg a possibility, and I'm not totally sure I blame them for that. But they certainly could've been more proactive at getting these guys locked up at reasonable deals earlier, if they deemed them so important for the team's future. It certainly seems like they were going to try to strong arm them into taking a deal that heavily favoured the team, and maybe wasn't based on the player's value.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
It is given the player(s) from reports were willing to sign here for a reasonable amount. In case of Broberg 1.8M as an ask, that could probably get whittled to 1.6M is reasonable given what the player has shown and uptick with his abilities.
Yup for sure, they were prob going to get to that number, we have space and time to do so. Like I said that all change when the players took the offer sheets, can’t blame them but they want out and money over anything else.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Who cares about dead space, who cares about that, we have room and time to get a deal done with players you sunk millions into for no return. Bad look on the players to even accept.

If you don't care about wasted cap then you have no business being angry when that lack of cap space blows up in your face.

Enough the "dur hur how could they take the money", this will happen any time you have unestablished players who haven't made big money in the league. Even $200-300k extra is a lot of money for people in that situation, that amount of money can make a huge difference in a person's life/the life of family members. The can pay off a family member's mortgage or debt. People need to just get over that.

This is a cold hard lesson for this front office to get their shit together, especially with how they manage their cap. The way Holland was running shit was unacceptable.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton

You're working every day since you could basically skate to win a Stanley Cup. I'd rather spend my money on having the best chance at that than buying a fancy car.
3 million sets you and your family up for a great life. 10 million sets up the next three generations of your family to never have to worry about anything. It's a huge difference.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
It's the employer's fault that they couldn't meet fairly reasonable demands prior to the offer sheet becoming an option (though I would balk at even 1.8 million).

I think the Oilers likely didn't consider someone offering such an outrageous contract for Broberg a possibility, and I'm not totally sure I blame them for that. But they certainly could've been more proactive at getting these guys locked up at reasonable deals earlier, if they deemed them so important for the team's future. It certainly seems like they were going to try to strong arm them into taking a deal that heavily favoured the team, and maybe wasn't based on the player's value.
Proactive sure but what’s the hurry. Still a month to training camp. We have room with Kane going on LTIR these are all discussions going on behind the scenes. Players accepted knowing all this info so good bye players they don’t want to be here

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
If you don't care about wasted cap then you have no business being angry when that lack of cap space blows up in your face.

Enough the "dur hur how could they take the money", this will happen any time you have established players who haven't made big money in the league. Even $200-300k extra is a lot of money for people in that situation, that amount of money can make a huge difference in a person's life/the life of family members. The can pay off a family member's mortgage or debt. People need to just get over that.

This is a cold hard lesson for this front office to get their shit together, especially with how they manage their cap. The way Holland was running shit was unacceptable.
Sure take the money, don’t care to be honest, shows the players don’t want to be here so why try bending backwards to accommodate them.

They got what they wanted money and a bottom feeder team. I’m happy for them.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.

Winning a SC can be a goal for players, yes, particularly for NA players, yes. For players from other regions goals can also be playing for Olympics, playing in NHL, or playing hockey professionally at all and loving to do that, and get paid handsomely for that.

Its a fan reaction to say that all players should just turn the bucks down to stay here because a SC is in the mail here. There are no guarantees of a cup. There are guarantees of getting paid.

Winning a SC can be a goal. It isn't the every reason a player wants to be in the league.

Runaway salary inflation in pro sports should tell you that the primary goal of players in any pro league is getting the money, getting rich. Just what it is.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
3 million sets you and your family up for a great life. 10 million sets up the next three generations of your family to never have to worry about anything. It's a huge difference.
Unless we're assuming he's going to fall off a cliff and never play hockey again, he'll easily get to that $10M mark. (And if that's the case, we obviously wouldn't want to sign him anyway haha)

I'd rather prioritize winning in my prime than going the Jeff Skinner route.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Sure take the money, don’t care to be honest, shows the players don’t want to be here so why try bending backwards to accommodate them.

They got what they wanted money and a bottom feeder team. I’m happy for them.

Unestablished players have to take the money when it's there for them. They have no guarantee they'll ever sniff that kind of money again.

They could tear their ACL tomorrow and be making $50k/year for the rest of their life working as a PE teacher.

This needs to stop being "mind blowing" information to some posters.

If you want to keep players like this, you need better cap management so you have flexibility in these situations beyond just "we're going to push your signing until September when you have to accept whatever cap is left for RFAs and for UFAs like Kostin and Desharnais it's an automatic seeya later".

Reactions: PBandJ

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Winning a SC can be a goal for players, yes, particularly for NA players, yes. For players from other regions goals can also be playing for Olympics, playing in NHL, or playing hockey professionally at all and loving to do that, and get paid handsomely for that.

Its a fan reaction to say that all players should just turn the bucks down to stay here because a SC is in the mail here. There are no guarantees of a cup. There are guarantees of getting paid.

Winning a SC can be a goal. It isn't the every reason a player wants to be in the league.
I'm not saying he should turn down the money. I just don't think you'll really miss that type of person when you're hoping to win a Cup. His priorities are elsewhere.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
I see Oiler hater Friedman (who is in the “pile on the org and fanbase” part of this situation) has gotten fans that don’t bother to look at contract status in a huff by throwing some numbers out without context.

@oXo Cube is right, the Holloway deal in particular would have screwed up the cap structure by walking him to arbitration. Broberg’s was still too much.

IMO it’s an even bigger indictment on Holloway, he was never interested in signing anything remotely team friendly.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
Other than maybe general info the these players were in discussions with other teams, are people naive enough to think that the agents for Broberg and Holloway were sharing detailed information regarding negotiations with other clubs?

I think the point is that Edmonton could have signed Broberg for likely less than 3m on a 2 year deal a month ago. 4.6m is laughable but the Blues are stuck in mediocrity and have the cap space to afford the risk.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I'm not saying he should turn down the money. I just don't think you'll really miss that type of person when you're hoping to win a Cup. His priorities are elsewhere.
AS I just edited to post The runaway salary inflation in all pro sports is more than indication of what the primary goal of pro players is, any sport. Its getting paid more and more money.

In some instances, and we've seen that extensively for instance in CFL that players will not even care about PLAYING. They would settle for carrying a clipboard in NFL and rarely or never playing just because its more money. They would prefer that to being a starter QB in CFL.

Don't infer what pro athletes want. The money talks what they want. I don't look at it as "type person" either, just that the person wants some money, which most people seemingly do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad