Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
How is this the oilers management fault? If the oilers and agents were talking what was the hurry to get something done by mid August?

This is a horrible look on the 2 players for accepting end of story
Its not. Young players want to get fed. They work their whole lives to get a pay day in a sport of hockey where there are no guarantees and in a violent game where their careers can be over in one instant. Any agent tells their young players to take the money, because you never know.

Same thing with Kostin. As a young player you take the money. None of us are in their shoes. Would anybody here really refuse the money either are getting? Really. Anybody saying that, it sounds like a lie.

Not saying you or anybody in particular but put your feet in their skates.

Nobody in the NHL hockey alumni would figure this is horrible on the part of the players, they would understand the business of it. Its only fans that don't seem to understand it.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I think Holloway can be quickly replaced. Saying he’s gonna pop, is not a guarentee. His ceiling isn’t near what Broberg’s might be. Either way, signing Brob at this amt seems wrong, but if they decide to do that, you let 55 go and get a replacement. Sign JVR perhaps and move on.

We don't need any more ancient players. Focus on taking flyers on young-ish talent like Alex Nylander instead.

Reactions: aspin3

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Its not. Young players want to get fed. They work their whole lives to get a pay day in a sport of hockey where there are no guarantees and in a violent game where their careers can be over in one instant. Any agent tells their young players to take the money, because you never know.

Same thing with Kostin. As a young player you take the money. None of us are in their shoes. Would anybody here really refuse the money either are getting? Really. Anybody saying that, it sounds like a lie.

Not saying you or anybody in particular but put your feet in their skates.

Nobody in the NHL hockey alumni would figure this is horrible on the part of the players, they would understand the business of it. Its only fans that don't seem to understand it.
Negotiate in good faith end of story

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I think Holloway can be quickly replaced. Saying he’s gonna pop, is not a guarentee. His ceiling isn’t near what Broberg’s might be. Either way, signing Brob at this amt seems wrong, but if they decide to do that, you let 55 go and get a replacement. Sign JVR perhaps and move on.
I dunno. I'm seeing some of what typically goes on here. (not saying you) the board was loving Holloway, and his increased improvement and bite in games. He was being called "Hollywood" most of the playoffsand as a matter of affection from fans it seems.

The grapes are sour as soon as we may not continue to have a player is well established on this board and has been for decades. The board devalues players on the way out. I don't feel you're doing that but Holloway isn't easily replaced. One could replace him with another journey man player but our room is already stock full of those, and not of the pace and energy players like Holloway.

Reactions: iCanada

Boner Pills

Jan 25, 2013
Edmonton
After sleeping on this, I'd still let both players walk and let St Louis pay them $7M.

Holloway was going to be pushed down the depth chart with the new free agent signings.

Broberg hasn't been able to crack the line-up for 3 years, so he's not going to turn into Drew Doughty overnight. Three years ago it was Niemelainen getting games over him, and the past two years Deharnais over him.

Lesson learned, move on.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

People need to get this through their thick skulls ... players who have not made a lot of money and were floating in the AHL until just recently in the league have to take more money when it is there for them.

They owe it to themselves and their family, you never know if you are going to be offered that again.

No one on this f***ing board would take one job that was paying $1.1 million/year versus another one that offered $4+ million a year. You have to be doing a ton of meth to not realize that.

The only players that take discounts are veteran players who have already made generational wealth at the NHL level and have the luxury of looking off extra money. Young players who have only being making like ELC level money are never going to do that. End of story.

Reactions: barry halls

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Define what margin is good faith when the Oilers offer was so below the ink on the offer sheets.

You don't know how the negotiations went and neither do I . Only thing we know is if the info is right it seems like lowballing.

In your opinion what should Broberg and Holloway have agreed to, to remain here.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
How is this the oilers management fault? If the oilers and agents were talking what was the hurry to get something done by mid August?

This is a horrible look on the 2 players for accepting end of story
Its horrible for Broberg for accepting 9.2 mil instead of 1.8? This isn’t McDavid, a mega mega millionaire. I don’t get it.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Its horrible for Broberg for accepting 9.2 mil instead of 1.8? This isn’t McDavid, a mega mega millionaire. I don’t get it.
I guess it comes down to how much you value money.

He's already made over a million in his career. His family is set for life. I'd be more than happy to trade a few million for a good chance at a Cup if I were him.

• Haha
Reactions: Reality Czech

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
We don't need any more ancient players. Focus on taking flyers on young-ish talent like Alex Nylander instead.
Sure, that’s an option too. I’m not fixed on any one player that could be an option but didn’t he just sign with the Marlins on an AHL deal? I guess he could still sign an NHL deal with another org then.

But let’s not get entrenched that losing Holloway is a “disaster” or irreplaceable. Unfortunate, frustrating and even maybe unnecessary perhaps, but it’s not apocalyptic like some posters here are making it to be.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I think matching on Broberg is too big of a risk, with a cap hit like that he is going to have to step in and play top 4 minutes well right out of the gate otherwise the entire city is going to be unrelentingly up his ass. Good chance he falls apart under that type of deployment and pressure, then we’re stuck with a guy with a cap but he’s not worth for another year and likely not even worth the 2nd you can get for him now. Take the pick and the 5M in cap space and move on from a question mark player who has been at best a non factor.

Holloway is a different story, he’s still a big question mark but the cap hit isn’t as crippling and it’s more likely you can pump the kid and dump him in the next year or two for something better then a third.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
I’m not saying the players are dumb for taking extra but that also not the organizations fault.

If the organization and player are negotiating in good faith to try and get a fair deal for both sides and someone comes in and offers twice as much that’s not the organizations fault. It’s a bad look on the player, either your loyal to the team or ur not, is it dumb decision by the player no it’s a no brainer but it’s still a bad look on the player, they just invested millions into you to get to where you are. There should be some loyalty/commitment

In this case the players took the bag, good on them but enjoy a bottom feeder team…….

Reactions: brentashton

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
...what? No you can't. That's crazy talk to me.

Holloway was very good and damned valuable in the playoffs. Letting him walk over 900k when he's just starting to pop isn't the type of move a smart team makes.
A very similar player in Trenin went for a 3rd at this past deadline.

The Oil also got Bjugstad at 50% for a third plus a swap of Dineen and Kesselring at the deadline before that.

I don't mind matching Holloway's offer, but I also don't mind just giving the 4th line LW spot to Lavoie. Holloway's the better player, but he's not 1.5 mil better; and that cap could and would be better spent elsewhere.

For example, you could use that 3rd and extra cap space to get an upgrade at centre for the 4th line (Dowd, Sturm, etc) which is the main weak spot in the bottom 6. Right now if something happens to Henrique the OIl are rather screwed.

Janmark-Henrique-Brown
Lavoie-Sturm-Perry
Ryan

Yes, it's poor value for Holloway. But a 2.3mil cap hit is also not great value for Holloway.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Sure, that’s an option too. I’m not fixed on any one player that could be an option but didn’t he just sign with the Marlins on an AHL deal? I guess he could still sign an NHL deal with another org then.

But let’s not get entrenched that losing Holloway is a “disaster” or irreplaceable. Unfortunate, frustrating and even maybe unnecessary perhaps, but it’s not apocalyptic like some posters here are making it to be.

It's not, but it is a reflection of a management team that is content to be mediocre for too long and a slap in their face for sure.

They need to get their shit together, the general management and drafting here has been horrendous for too long.

Everyone in that front office needs to step their shit up from now on, we need to be opportunistic in the future to replace some of these lost players.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
To reiterate, he wanted 1.2 on a 1 year deal walking him straight to arbitration rights. This pretty much never happens for players coming off their ELC and especially not for players who haven't shown a lot.
I still would’ve done that deal, if Holloway had a breakout season and you’re scared of his arbitration you just trade him for more assets. Ultimately it’s going to cost the Oilers 1M extra on the cap this year but they might end up saving money in year 2.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I’m not saying the players are dumb for taking extra but that also not the organizations fault.

If the organization and player are negotiating in good faith to try and get a fair deal for both sides and someone comes in and offers twice as much that’s not the organizations fault. It’s a bad look on the player, either your loyal to the team or ur not, is it dumb decision by the player no it’s a no brainer but it’s still a bad look on the player, they just invested millions into you to get to where you are. There should be some loyalty/commitment

In this case the players took the bag, good on them but enjoy a bottom feeder team…….

It is the management's fault ... this is the direct consequence of years of stupid cap management.

We have almost $9 million in dead of misused cap space, that's a monstrous chunk of the entire cap space.

These are the kinds of situations that arise from that kind of mismanagement.

Reactions: Reasonable Oil Fan

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
So before this offer sheet nonsense you could have had the players for $3 million combined, if the reporting is true. Sure term maybe not friendly, but who the heck cares right now. Today those exact same two players are nearly a 7 million cap hit.

Jeff Jackson, Stan bowman, I don’t care but this is a blunder. Good franchises who become perennial winners don’t have the kind of blunders this team makes, and it seems almost annual regardless of who’s at the helm.

The self inflicted wounds need to stop.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

ConnorNova0929

Feb 25, 2023
Rishaug on TSN. Saying oilers might trade Kulak. I think that's a big mistake personally.

If they want to keep Broberg that might be the only option unfortunately. Broberg should play on the left side as that is his strength.

Ideally they trade Nurse but that is never going to happen. Second best option would be trading Ceci and have Kulak on his offside (but I have no idea how effective he is there)

Reactions: JeffSkinner53

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
It's not, but it is a reflection of a management team that is content to be mediocre for too long and a slap in their face for sure.

They need to get their shit together, the general management and drafting here has been horrendous for too long.

Everyone in that front office needs to step their shit up from now on, we need to be opportunistic in the future to replace some of these lost players.
Agreed. Players and management always need to work to improve and be better. It’s the same in most businesses, to strive for continuous improvement, otherwise you are going backwards. I wish it were that way in the medical system and government, sigh.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
It is the management's fault ... this is the direct consequence of years of stupid cap management.

We have almost $9 million in dead of misused cap space, that's a monstrous chunk of the entire cap space.

These are the kinds of situations that arise from that kind of mismanagement.
Managements fault the players want to go somewhere else?

Nope

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I guess it comes down to how much you value money.

He's already made over a million in his career. His family is set for life. I'd be more than happy to trade a few million for a good chance at a Cup if I were him.
Saying this in words and not in action.

So If some firm offered you 3-4X what you are getting paid now you would just turn it down? You'd tell your family, spouse, friends you're doing that?

No guarantees of a cup anywhere in a 33 team league. You take the money. Of course.

1M these days is hardly "set for life". Understanding as well the players expenses, taxes, etc.

Reactions: brentashton

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Managements fault the players want to go somewhere else?

Nope

It's their fault that we have so much dead cap that every summer we are basically taking some RFAs straight to August/September basically thinking we can strong arm them into taking less money.

This year we should have had $5 million cap increase, we got $0 cap increase because of Holland's mistakes ($3.25 million dead cap on Brown, $1.1 million dead cap on Campbell).

That tied our hands with these RFAs this year.

Well, this year it turns out there were consequences for that. Several million overpay on Nurse also.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad