Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
If Broberg was asking for 1.8 it was for 1 year. The 4.6 is for 2 years. The 4.6x2 still has potential to be a good contract. The Oilers can help that by making sure he is top 4 LD

Reactions: Kolja

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
Genuinely curious as to whether Edmonton fans think this is just hockey business or whether there's a bit of an ulterior motive with Bowman coming in that the constantly preached "respect" element is gone from other front offices. First time since 2008 2 or more offer sheets have been handed out and they're both on the same team

I think it has more to do with a fantastic opportunity came up and a gm took advantage of it.

But I also don’t think it’s unreasonable for other teams to not want to be doing any favours for us or Bowman lol.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
All they have to do, ALL Stan and the Oilers have to do is flip Ceci for futures.

Hell even Ceci and 3rd for futures.

And you have to the space, and yet here we are.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
The AAV ask for Holloway seems reasonable but players in his position almost never get 1 year deals as it's disadvantageous for the clubs. Not surprised the Oilers didn't get excited about that.

Might take some heat in here for this view but Broberg wasn't signed at 1.8AAV because that ask was too high.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
The AAV ask for Holloway seems reasonable but players in his position almost never get 1 year deals as it's disadvantageous for the clubs. Not surprised the Oilers didn't get excited about that.

Might take some heat in here for this view but Broberg wasn't signed at 1.8AAV because that ask was too high.
The Oilers are in the dither phase of the offseason and they didn't treat either of those players as important. So here we are.

Pass the Saitl Sauce

Apr 30, 2015
This is a bad look on Jeff Jackson
Since the offersheets were announced I’ve been laying a lot of my blame at Jeff Jackson and the lack of a GM this summer. From a Holland that didn’t care past Stanley cup game 7 and Jackson who only cared about the UFAs and the slow search for a GM put the oilers behind the ball this offseason.

Owell I’m already accepting having to fill holes with a 2nd and 3rd round picks, only cost 2 first round picks and 5 years of development

Reactions: ConnorNova0929

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
It’s a nobody just like you
Sorry you guys aren't keeping up. See below
Friedman on 32 thoughts.

-Broberg was asking $1.8M from Edm
-Holloway was asking for 1 year at $1.2M
-Blues wanted to get both players signed to increase the cap crunch.
-Blues also wanted to time it so Edmonton couldn't trade for a player that was arbitration eligible to open a 2nd buyout window which would have helped Edm get out of it.
-Broberg had indicated during the season he want to wait to offseason to negotiate so he could see how the season went.
-Kane will get surgery. Discussion was about who was going to do it. Timing related to doctor availability. Should be out a significant time. More than a couple months for sure. No guarantee he is going be out until playoffs but this will allow the Oilers to punt the decisions until some time into the season.
-Part of conversation for Broberg is to getting him to play on left side.
-Revenge on St. Louis is extremely unlikely because of all of Edmonton upcoming raises.
Anytime you guys want to stop apologizing for Stan it would really make things alot simpler.

Reactions: ChaoticOrange

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Hey guys look, maybe Stan should get to f***ing work.

Also can the apology tour stop?

I’m all for piling on Bowman but hes been here for a week. Pretty sure this was already in motion before he got here.

Hasn’t there been rumours that Armstrong has been talking to Holloway/Brobergs agents since June? Something doesn’t really add up here. If Holloway was willing to take 1.2m, I think he would of been done.

Could just be Friedman putting the gears to the Oilers. He doesn’t care for the Oilers, which is typical of the media in general.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I’m all for piling on Bowman but hes been here for a week. Pretty sure this was already in motion before he got here.

Hasn’t there been rumours that Armstrong has been talking to Holloway/Brobergs agents since June? Something doesn’t really add up here. If Holloway was willing to take 1.2m, I think he would of been done.

Could just be Friedman putting the gears to the Oilers. He doesn’t care for the Oilers, which is typical of the media in general.
He's been here for weeks and he has one job. He's clearly been "around" things so get to f***ing work already.

He doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt for this, get to f***ing work.

• Haha
Reactions: TopShelfGloveSide

blue zone

Apr 14, 2024
Holloway has never played C at NHL level. Based on his skill set, I think he would be a more effective winger. I personally can’t see him transitioning to a C well but he’s young so who knows.
Makes it even stranger, as I think that would at best slot him in as our 4LW fighting for Ice with Joseph, Toropchenko and Bolduc.

Reactions: McDNicks17

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet

To reiterate, he wanted 1.2 on a 1 year deal walking him straight to arbitration rights. This pretty much never happens for players coming off their ELC and especially not for players who haven't shown a lot.

Reactions: Oilhawks

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
To reiterate, he wanted 1.2 on a 1 year deal walking him straight to arbitration rights. This pretty much never happens for players coming off their ELC and especially not for players who haven't shown a lot.
Yeah, just when we need to sign McDavid and Bouchard an extension too. Not exactly team friendly when we are trying to win now.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Makes it even stranger, as I think that would at best slot him in as our 4LW fighting for Ice with Joseph, Toropchenko and Bolduc.

Like others have said I think Holloway is a bit of a smoke screen and Broberg is your real target.

That being said, I have no idea what the Oilers will do here. Guess just really depends what they think the potential for both guys are. Theres not much of a sample size to feel confident one way or the other.

Reactions: ujju2

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
Besides maybe the one to trade is Kulak. Make sure Broberg plays his proper side and in the top 4.

So maybe make sure he is on his proper side?
Kulak is our 3rd pairing LHD. Why would we do that? We have Ek, Nurse, then Kulak. Broby would have to play in Ceci's spot (on his off side) to justify the paycheck, and he sucked at it in the short sample we saw.

Let him go. He overpriced himself, and we don't have a fit for him for what he signed for.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Sorry you guys aren't keeping up. See below

Anytime you guys want to stop apologizing for Stan it would really make things alot simpler.
It's how she always goes.

Endless apologies for Chiarelli until he was out the door and then it's "can't do anything about it, move on"
Endless apologies for Holland until he wasn't in charge anymore then it's "can't do anything about it, move on"
Now it's "ah gosh geez this ain't Stan's fault!"

Some people just don't feel right unless their tongue has a callus and their mouth tastes of boot leather.

The fact is ALL of JJ, Bowman, and Holland f***ed up royally here and absolutely bungled this situation, and now their choices are pay two guys double what they're worth and scramble for the right to do so or take a pittance for them and scramble to add some speed and youth into what's now looking like a very old, very slow lineup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad