Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
lolz, sure, maybe is Stan was on the job, and yet here we are.

We don't have to apologize for Stan guys, he f***ed up, the Oilers f***ed up, here we are, not ideal.

So I guess the "desire" in the organization to bring these important young players wasn't very high it seems.

Or the desire for the players to stay wasn't very high.

If Broberg's camp thinks he's worth $4.5M, it's pretty obvious why the extension didn't get done.

Reactions: Oilhawks

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
Is it official that they have signed or just that the offer sheet has been tendered to them? It is unclear to me if an offer sheet is only announced if it is signed.
They signed the offer sheets, it doesn't get announced until they sign.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

If Broberg's camp thinks he's worth $4.5M, it's pretty obvious why the extension didn't get done.
Lmao there's no way that would be true. It's an obvious overpay that he would be stupid not to take. The entire point of the offer sheet is to handcuff the other team into either sucking up and overpaying their asset or letting them go with undesired compensation as the return. Especially given that his cap hit is exactly $1 below what the next tier of compensation would be. It was a crafty and meticulous move by the Blues.

GMs overpay players all the time. Think we're any different?

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta

Ok you're smarter than this, I don't know why you're getting caught up the apology tour, but you just have to think about for like 1/2 a second.

The Blues offered that amount because it puts pressure on the Oilers. Does Broberg take $2.5M, $3M if offered? Probably, but that's easier to match, it's REALLY simple.

The player's asks, if that tweet is to be believed, are right in line with what you would expect from an RFA.

If Broberg asks for that much and doesn't become the 3rd best defenseman on the team in the WC & SCFs, are you ok with it then? $1.8M for 1 yr?

It's REALLY simple when you think about it, the Oilers didn't treat these important young players seriously and Stan hasn't been doing anything at all.

Reactions: Mr Positive

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Ok you're smarter than this, I don't know why you're getting caught up the apology tour, but you just have to think about for like 1/2 a second.

The Blues offered that amount because it puts pressure on the Oilers. Does Broberg take $2.5M, $3M if offered? Probably, but that's easier to match, it's REALLY simple.

The player's asks, if that tweet is to be believed, are right in line with what you would expect from an RFA.

If Broberg asks for that much and doesn't become the 3rd best defenseman on the team in the WC & SCFs, are you ok with it then? $1.8M for 1 yr?

It's REALLY simple when you think about it, the Oilers didn't treat these important young players seriously and Stan hasn't been doing anything at all.
That tweet is literally a nobody screenshotting a text from their friend lol.

Reactions: McDoused

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010

It's not that complicated. The Oilers made their offers. The guys agents told them to hold up and wait for an offersheet and here we are. So it doesn't matter what the Oilers offer, the guys had money on their mind. This could be Sakic as the GM, and the guys would still be holding out.

Reactions: Mr Positive

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
That would have been done if that was true.
Lol maybe if I was an idiot I’d believe some random poster on Twitter posting screenshots of unverifiable random texts.

Neither of these agents are advising their clients to sign those deals if they have any sort of inclination that a much more lucrative offer sheet is coming.

Reactions: Canovin

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Most likely but you still see what is out there.

In my mind if we are 300 over the cap as is with no Kane ltir we could look at if we move brown (defenseman) and Ryan to minors we have like $1.7M cap room with stetcher at 3RD.

You roll forward as is no trades required to clear cap and could try and land a few close to league min contracts. If wheeler and JVR want to win and see us as their best chance before retirement they could be fits.

The Holloway comp on the sheet is just so bad but also having to move a contract out to fit just him sucks. It was more palatable when Broberg was replacing Ceci or kulak for cheaper. If we do that now we are short an nhl calibre d. So I don’t think you match either
If the big problem with keeping an important young player are things like accruing cap or having to play with less players, etc, imo you just bite the bullet and keep the young players. There is no cap in the playoffs.

Most of all, we were hoping for small money deals on these guys but that was underpayment by a lot just by strong arming their RFA status. What that means is that even if they signed here for less, they would eventually get 4.6 and 2.5 anyway. They will be worth this soon, and imo they already are.

blue zone

Apr 14, 2024
Blues fan coming in peace.
I get the Broberg offer, as they will hopefully slot him in on the 2LD spot, and maybe see if he can play RD some time down the road if necessary.
Other than the ability to be a physical presence, I am unsure of what the team plans to do with Holloway this season. Would he potentially be a solid 3C? I do not see him coming close to our top two lines.
Other than that, it looks like a move just to assure that the Note gets Broberg.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Blues fan coming in peace.
I get the Broberg offer, as they will hopefully slot him in on the 2LD spot, and maybe see if he can play RD some time down the road if necessary.
Other than the ability to be a physical presence, I am unsure of what the team plans to do with Holloway this season. Would he potentially be a solid 3C? I do not see him coming close to our top two lines.
Other than that, it looks like a move just to assure that the Note gets Broberg.

Holloway has never played C at NHL level. Based on his skill set, I think he would be a more effective winger. I personally can’t see him transitioning to a C well but he’s young so who knows.

Echodek

Feb 6, 2011
Has there been any “talk” or speculation on how the organization is going to handle this? Losing one is not ideal, losing both is a disaster.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
If the big problem with keeping an important young player are things like accruing cap or having to play with less players, etc, imo you just bite the bullet and keep the young players. There is no cap in the playoffs.

Most of all, we were hoping for small money deals on these guys but that was underpayment by a lot just by strong arming their RFA status. What that means is that even if they signed here for less, they would eventually get 4.6 and 2.5 anyway. They will be worth this soon, and imo they already are.
They would get paid even more than 4.6M and 2.5M as Kane, Ceci, Henrique, Skinner, Kulak won't be Oilers in 2 years plus 10M in salary cap increase and the only dead cap is Campbell buy out. This was really shortsighted especially on Holloway.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Friedman on 32 thoughts.

-Broberg was asking $1.8M from Edm
-Holloway was asking for 1 year at $1.2M
-Blues wanted to get both players signed to increase the cap crunch.
-Blues also wanted to time it so Edmonton couldn't trade for a player that was arbitration eligible to open a 2nd buyout window which would have helped Edm get out of it.
-Broberg had indicated during the season he want to wait to offseason to negotiate so he could see how the season went.
-Kane will get surgery. Discussion was about who was going to do it. Timing related to doctor availability. Should be out a significant time. More than a couple months for sure. No guarantee he is going be out until playoffs but this will allow the Oilers to punt the decisions until some time into the season.
-Part of conversation for Broberg is to getting him to play on left side.
-Revenge on St. Louis is extremely unlikely because of all of Edmonton upcoming raises.

Zoupa

Jul 7, 2024

I'm wondering if other teams were also interested in offer sheeting Broberg. The Blues offer may have taken that into consideration. If they offered 3M maybe the Flames or someone offers more and he signs that one.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
lolz, sure, maybe is Stan was on the job, and yet here we are.

We don't have to apologize for Stan guys, he f***ed up, the Oilers f***ed up, here we are, not ideal.

So I guess the "desire" in the organization to bring these important young players wasn't very high it seems.

The weird part to me is that it’s been assumed that Holland wasn’t calling any shots after Jackson was brought in based on the Woodcroft firing/Knoblach hiring, so why would “upper management” be instructing him to sign both players? Why wouldn’t JJ just do it himself?

I realize Bob is connected but parts of this story don’t compute.

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
Friedman on 32 thoughts.

-Blues also wanted to time it so Edmonton couldn't trade for a player that was arbitration eligible to open a 2nd buyout window which would have helped Edm get out of it.
-Broberg had indicated during the season he want to wait to offseason to negotiate so he could see how the season went.
-Kane will get surgery. Discussion was about who was going to do it. Timing related to doctor availability. Should be out a significant time. More than a couple months for sure. No guarantee he is going be out until playoffs but this will allow the Oilers to punt the decisions until some time into the season.
-Revenge on St. Louis is extremely unlikely because of all of Edmonton upcoming raises.
If true, this is now a massive fail on the orgs part. Nothing about those asks seem unreasonable or undoable.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Maybe I responded to someone else. My point is you are right they are vets and can afford to take discounts and the rookies can’t. That doesn’t change the fact that if we matched Broberg and Holloway the discounts they all took to win a cup would be for nothing. They might not be mad at the players but I don’t think they would be a fan of the situation.
You're right, from that perspective. I just think the players understand it's a business and won't be too bothered by guys trying to better themselves financially for them and their families but who knows, maybe it might irritate a few.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I'm wondering if other teams were also interested in offer sheeting Broberg. The Blues offer may have taken that into consideration. If they offered 3M maybe the Flames or someone offers more and he signs that one.
Hell the Blues were hinting at offersheets a some weeks ago in one of their GM pressors. Like, it was in the wind a bit. The issue for the Oilers is both players were on Full Display playing quality hockey in the SCFs, you don't need as much video to make that call.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Friedman on 32 thoughts.

Hey guys look, maybe Stan should get to f***ing work.

Also can the apology tour stop?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad