Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Macblender

May 5, 2014
So bowman should’ve just signed them to inflated deals to say he’s done something you can see?
And he is meant to have a press conference about the offer sheets?

If I am bowman I am seeing what I can use those picks for and what remaining UFA players I can sign to replace where they would have fit. Then you say is taking the picks and playing with these players more or less likely to win me a cup this year? If the answer is yes you let them walk

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

If I am bowman I am seeing what I can use those picks for and what remaining UFA players I can sign to replace where they would have fit. Then you say is taking the picks and playing with these players more or less likely to win me a cup this year? If the answer is yes you let them walk
That would involve waiting until the TDL, and even then we have no idea where they would end up.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

HFOil when the GM doesn’t tell everyone his plans - WHY ARENT YOU DOING ANYTHING.

HFOil when the GM tells everyone his plans - WHY WOULD YOU TELL THE LEAGUE YOUR PLANS SO YOU LOSE LEVERAGE

Macblender

May 5, 2014
That would involve waiting until the TDL, and even then we have no idea where they would end up.
Most likely but you still see what is out there.

In my mind if we are 300 over the cap as is with no Kane ltir we could look at if we move brown (defenseman) and Ryan to minors we have like $1.7M cap room with stetcher at 3RD.

You roll forward as is no trades required to clear cap and could try and land a few close to league min contracts. If wheeler and JVR want to win and see us as their best chance before retirement they could be fits.

The Holloway comp on the sheet is just so bad but also having to move a contract out to fit just him sucks. It was more palatable when Broberg was replacing Ceci or kulak for cheaper. If we do that now we are short an nhl calibre d. So I don’t think you match either

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
These are terrible options for a team that has designs on winning a Cup. Top 4 on a bad team is much different than playing top 4 on a Cup contender. Losing Broberg and even Desharnais for that matter weakens the defense.
The Oilers will be ok in the regular season because of their strength up front but they were depending heavily on Broberg taking that next step.

Oilers don't need to overthink it.

Nurse had better results with Stecher than Ceci (albeit in limited playing time), and Kulak and Ceci worked well as a 3rd pairing during the SCF. They'll likely want an upgrade on Stecher, but now they have the Blues' 2nd to make a Tanev-like trade next TDL.

Brown's the #7 as of today, but I'd be surprised if the Oilers didn't toss a few PTOs out to guys like Dermott and Gustav Lindstrom. Plus this opens the door to them playing the waiver wire game come the end of training camps.

Outside of Stecher, the other guy who's likely the happiest with all this is Lavoie, who goes from the outside looking in with no real path forward, to likely being the starting 4LW opposite Perry. Find me a cheap centre on the waiver wire that can skate to plop between those two until Philp is ready, and I like the look of that 4th line.

Janmark-Henrique-Brown
Lavoie-______-Perry
Ryan

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
We're not if you really try to understand what I'm saying.

You were saying that there's potential for the locker room to be disturbed if the Oilers match because players might be sour at Broberg and Holloway for not taking big discounts for the sake of the team then you pointed out a bunch of vets taking discounts as examples that Broberg and Holloway should have followed (in the minds of their teammates). What I'm saying is that it's an apples and oranges comparison between vets and basically rookies taking discounts, do you disagree? I'm just trying to meet you halfway my friend.

In any event, after my long winded reply, it's cool to just agree to disagree. It has been an exhausting exchange haha
Maybe I responded to someone else. My point is you are right they are vets and can afford to take discounts and the rookies can’t. That doesn’t change the fact that if we matched Broberg and Holloway the discounts they all took to win a cup would be for nothing. They might not be mad at the players but I don’t think they would be a fan of the situation.

Reactions: Macblender

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I really liked this sober take

First off, I agree that we should match on both.

They are worth much more than the compensation.

We are already one of the oldest teams in the league. We can't go older and slower

They will get this kind of money from us eventually anyway, and more.

We can survive in the short term by getting LTIR space from Kane.

And most of all, our team has been playing conservative for a while. We haven't done anything creative and ruthless like teams like Tampa and Vegas. It's time for this team to go down that route.

Last edited:

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton

And most of all, our team has been playing conservative for a while. We haven't done anything creative and ruthless like teams like Tampa and Vegas. It's time for this team to go down that route.

Hell no. Broberg doesn't want to be here, and isn't worth that contract. I don't think he'll be worth it in year 2 as well. Holloway has what, 11 career points? 2.3 million? No. They had offers from us that may have been slightly light, but worked for the team's cap space and window we are in. They didn't sign those offers, and waited for offer sheets at way overinflated prices. I want players on the team that are interested in winning the cup, and not just bank. They could have still made decent money AND played for the cup, but that was not their decision.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
We're not if you really try to understand what I'm saying.

You were saying that there's potential for the locker room to be disturbed if the Oilers match because players might be sour at Broberg and Holloway for not taking big discounts for the sake of the team then you pointed out a bunch of vets taking discounts as examples that Broberg and Holloway should have followed (in the minds of their teammates). What I'm saying is that it's an apples and oranges comparison between vets and basically rookies taking discounts, do you disagree? I'm just trying to meet you halfway my friend.

In any event, after my long winded reply, it's cool to just agree to disagree. It has been an exhausting exchange haha
When you go to a party and everyone decides to pitch in for foods, and 2 guys decides to show up empty handed and also ate the most. People take notice

Reactions: McBooya42

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009

One could argue that if we wanted to take the ruthless route, we wouldn’t match the offer sheets for Broberg and Holloway. A team like Vegas would never be bullied into signing players for what they want. Especially being a contending team. Earlier in the summer, we set the precedent that if you want to play here and have a good shot at winning the cup, you need to take a pay cut . Matching the Broberg and Holloway offersheets would undo all of that and paint us as a desperate organization who will pay any price to keep their players.
People keep forgetting that this wouldn’t have been news if Broberg and Holloway just rejected the Blues offer. Them accepting the offer speaks volumes about what they prioritize at the moment (which is fine, but not what we need on this current team). Take the picks and use them at the deadline to bring in a better player

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
Hell no. Broberg doesn't want to be here, and isn't worth that contract. I don't think he'll be worth it in year 2 as well. Holloway has what, 11 career points? 2.3 million? No. They had offers from us that may have been slightly light, but worked for the team's cap space and window we are in. They didn't sign those offers, and waited for offer sheets at way overinflated prices. I want players on the team that are interested in winning the cup, and not just bank. They could have still made decent money AND played for the cup, but that was not their decision.
Broberg just wants to play.

That trade request was because he was up riding the pine as a #7 D, then went down to Bakersfield and did all he was asked, and same in the playoffs.

Just because the Oilers tried to lowball him and he signed an offer sheet doesn't mean he's a malcontent. I'd take a big pay raise and clarity on my role too.

For clarity, there are 79 defensemen in the league making $4.5; it's an overpay at his experience level, but let's not assume it's some horrible amount. I think he makes that contract look good in Y2 then he takes over for Ekholm in Y3.

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
Is it official that they have signed or just that the offer sheet has been tendered to them? It is unclear to me if an offer sheet is only announced if it is signed.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
You don't know what they want or don't want or what they were offered. With someone like Broberg, he was looking at being forced into small contracts and getting limited to no opportunity here. He has been a spare part here where the team likes him but doesnt make space for him. His career is at stake. Imo all of his statements have been entirely reasonable. He could easily want to be here and win cups here but not for 10 minutes a night or in the press box.

It's a similar situation for Holloway where we talk about how important he is but we set it up for him to max out on our fourth line, especially after adding Skinner and Arvidsson.

Our team did this to them more than they did it to the team. We want to just add and add and go all-in for the short term. The consequence is that we destroy our youth movement. Of course something like this would happen.

Macblender

May 5, 2014
Ltir kane at the start isn’t the solution since we can’t accrue cap. It forces us to run a like 19-20 man roster so really short and we are screwed on any non ltir injuries and that is with trading Ceci or kulak.

Further with Kanes NMC when he comes back in like November December we have to clear another 5M. What happens if he doesn’t waive? Are we looking at trading skinner and Henrique? We can’t trade a D since we already are using stretcher and Broberg on the right side as our supposedly upgraded D.

If we want any D upgrade at the deadline we have to move money out and aren’t accruing cap with the pre season ltir for Kane. Basically we screw ourselves for going all in if we match

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
That would have been done if that was true.
lolz, sure, maybe is Stan was on the job, and yet here we are.

We don't have to apologize for Stan guys, he f***ed up, the Oilers f***ed up, here we are, not ideal.

Posts random texts from nobody..."if this is true" lol

So I guess the "desire" in the organization to bring these important young players wasn't very high it seems.

Yuke

Jan 15, 2020
Letting the emotion of it all die down, it makes sense to match Holloway, but let Broberg walk - which sucks, because I really hoped he would be part of this teams future.

I think it's far more likely that Holloway earns this contract than Broberg. In a year where we the team has asked players to take a cut to win, Broberg making millions more than his current value is sadly just a bad fit.

I know we aren't allowed to trade the players, but is there still the ability to negotiate with the Blues?

example.

"Kane will be on LTIR all season and we have a deal in place to move Ceci, so we can match both. If you throw in an extra pick, we won't match on Broberg."
I believe we can negotiate a trade still with the Blues. They currently have 4 LD not counting Krug. So, if the Oil believe one can be a decent 3 pairing make it a trade ( d man + a 4th) and sell off Kulak.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
lolz, sure, maybe is Stan was on the job, and yet here we are.

We don't have to apologize for Stan guys, he f***ed up, the Oilers f***ed up, here we are, not ideal.
Don't believe everything you see. Something as low as those AVV would have been done. If you really believe the Oilers were holding out because of 100k, you're being too naive

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
One could argue that if we wanted to take the ruthless route, we wouldn’t match the offer sheets for Broberg and Holloway. A team like Vegas would never be bullied into signing players for what they want. Especially being a contending team. Earlier in the summer, we set the precedent that if you want to play here and have a good shot at winning the cup, you need to take a pay cut . Matching the Broberg and Holloway offersheets would undo all of that and paint us as a desperate organization who will pay any price to keep their players.
People keep forgetting that this wouldn’t have been news if Broberg and Holloway just rejected the Blues offer. Them accepting the offer speaks volumes about what they prioritize at the moment (which is fine, but not what we need on this current team). Take the picks and use them at the deadline to bring in a better player
The essence of what defines the Vegas or Tampa ruthlessness is all about doing whatever is practical. You say we should not match out of principle. Vegas and Tampa have no principles. They absolutely would match these contracts if they felt they would win out in the end with them. I would advise the team to sign both Draisaitl and Bouchard now, pushing for a little bit of discount, and then match on both our young guys.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Don't believe everything you see. Something as low as those AVV would have been done. If you really believe the Oilers were holding out because of 100k, you're being too naive
Don't apologize for every GM, those asks from those players are actually quite reasonable seeing as what they've done.

The Oilers just didn't treat it like it was serious, the Oilers haven't been serious about who's important and creating cap space.

Stan's not doing anything isn't helping this.

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
I wonder how much of this is because of Holland's over ripening of prospects and 'the NHL is not a development league'. How do you balance that with giving kids and opportunity to succeed?

Being a kid in Bako like Lavoie or Rodrigue, having great years in the AHL, only to be called up and play 7 minutes a game or no games at all has got to be crazy difficult. Then you see the Oilers load up with pros that bump you down the depth chart.

Management really needs to be in touch with the kiddos and be like 'I know how this looks, but don't worry. You will get your chances, and if it doesn't work here we will find a new opportunity for you'. I wonder if GMKH made some promises that he couldn't keep.

It's tragic that after all of his 'we won't trade our first round pick for a rental' this is where we end up. All of Kenny's first round picks could be gone.

Not trying to put this all on one exec, I'm sure there's plenty of blame to go around.
Let's be honest here, this is less on Holland and more on our previous coach who refused to play rookies (specifically these two players) and when he would, he'd give them 5 minutes of ice time and bench them for any mistake.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad