Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

barry halls

Nov 13, 2018
What has Stan done since starting? Was the RFAs just sitting in the wind unaware to him? Is he aware that there's a cap crunch?

Like get to f***ing work, right? I don't think that's an unreasonable ask of the team's f***ing GM.

“Best in class” my ass

Roderek

Dec 29, 2022
I am not a huge Freidman fan, however, when he typically talks about contract money and what was being offered, he is usually pretty certain with the info he has. So 1.8 and 1.2 have to be pretty close to accurate. Assuming it is true, how can the Oilers expect Drai or Bouch to take a discount if they sign either of these offers. Sorry Drai I need you to sign for 12 mil as we paid Holloway 1 mil extra and Broberg 2.5 mil extra, Sorry about that but it's the only way we can compete and stay under the cap. If I am Drai's agent in this scenario I am telling the Oilers to pound sand, as Drai has been underpaid for the majority of his current contract, and management already pissed away millions on guys like Nurse and Campbell. You want a discount now that you just overpaid two more guys, especially if he isn't signed when the season starts and Holloway and Broberg don't play up to their new contracts.

My other concern with Kane to LTIR being the solution, I just don't see Kane as the guy to sit on the sidelines for months going through the motions if he is healthy. Maybe it doesn't become a problem as there could be other injuries or we could make a trade to move cap. However, if we are in LTIR space and everyone knows we need to clear cap, the deals will just be that much worse. I just see Kane in Jan/Feb talking to a reporter saying, not sure why I am not in the lineup I am totally good to go. if that were to happen the Oilers would have serious issues. If I am Bowman or Jackson, I would need to have 100% commitment now from Kane that he is good to sit the entire season.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I’m all for piling on Bowman but hes been here for a week. Pretty sure this was already in motion before he got here.

Hasn’t there been rumours that Armstrong has been talking to Holloway/Brobergs agents since June? Something doesn’t really add up here. If Holloway was willing to take 1.2m, I think he would of been done.

Could just be Friedman putting the gears to the Oilers. He doesn’t care for the Oilers, which is typical of the media in general.
This is all on JJ and Holland imo and its sick that the priority was resigning do nothings like Perry and Brown instead of our two best young prospects. Who were willing to sign here for cheap given the information at hand today. (if true)

This is not just losing vital speed in the lineup its losing two vaunted prospects in an org preciously thin of them.

The org is guilty also (and Holland too) of looking off Holloway, Broberg as much as they did, and giving them chances here to shine as little as they did.

Assuming we lose these two now these are too completely botched prospects files. This not only impacts us in losing these two players but its bad messaging to any prospects we do have or wish to have. Because the basic message is prospects will not be a priority here.

This story is getting worse.

Reactions: barry halls

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I am not a huge Freidman fan, however, when he typically talks about contract money and what was being offered, he is usually pretty certain with the info he has. So 1.8 and 1.2 have to be pretty close to accurate. Assuming it is true, how can the Oilers expect Drai or Bouch to take a discount if they sign either of these offers. Sorry Drai I need you to sign for 12 mil as we paid Holloway 1 mil extra and Broberg 2.5 mil extra, Sorry about that but it's the only way we can compete and stay under the cap. If I am Drai's agent in this scenario I am telling the Oilers to pound sand, as Drai has been underpaid for the majority of his current contract, and management already pissed away millions on guys like Nurse and Campbell. You want a discount now that you just overpaid two more guys, especially if he isn't signed when the season starts and Holloway and Broberg don't play up to their new contracts.

My other concern with Kane to LTIR being the solution, I just don't see Kane as the guy to sit on the sidelines for months going through the motions if he is healthy. Maybe it doesn't become a problem as there could be other injuries or we could make a trade to move cap. However, if we are in LTIR space and everyone knows we need to clear cap, the deals will just be that much worse. I just see Kane in Jan/Feb talking to a reporter saying, not sure why I am not in the lineup I am totally good to go. if that were to happen the Oilers would have serious issues. If I am Bowman or Jackson, I would need to have 100% commitment now from Kane that he is good to sit the entire season.
I think you can match Holloway pretty easily. An extra 900k or so isn't going to break the bank either way.

I'm fairly certain as far as the Blues are concerned here the real prize is Broberg. I think they tendered the two offer sheets knowing that Edmonton would match Holloway but by tendering two it increases the level of scramble necessary to open up cap space.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
This is all on JJ and Holland imo and its sick that the priority was resigning do nothings like Perry and Brown instead of our two best young prospects. Who were willing to sign here for cheap given the information at hand today. (if true)

This is not just losing vital speed in the lineup its losing two vaunted prospects in an org preciously thin of them.

The org is guilty also (and Holland too) of looking off Holloway, Broberg as much as they did, and giving them chances here to shine as little as they did.

Assuming we lose these two now these are too completely botched prospects files. This not only impacts us in losing these two players but its bad messaging to any prospects we do have or wish to have. Because the basic message is prospects will not be a priority here.

I agree with this, but we haven't lost these guys yet.

But yes, our team is old and slow. I can't believe how many people think we should give up on these dynamic young players.

Just match the offer sheet. Are we so focused on the present that we can just destroy our future this badly?

I'd even argue our team needs the youth and speed to win now.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

It's mostly on Holland. I said this many times last year when people were celebrating the Brown bonus as being no big deal, all this dead cap would have consequences.

Fast forward a little over one year later and yep. Holland was awful managing the cap, the only good I can I see is this is a good wake up call for the Oilers management to get their shit together and if there was any doubt that cap management is vitally important there shouldn't be anyone now.

Reactions: ujju2

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB

I'm not convinced this is as big an issue as you might expect. For one, both of these offer sheets are for 2 year deals. That means they would only extend into the first year of Drai's new contract, after which both would need to be re-signed. I can't see that being the big hangup, with Drai's deal likely coming in the 8-year range. The cap situation in 2025-26 is only a small drop in the bucket in terms of factors Drai has to consider. And if Drai didn't want to take a discount (I don't think these deals would significantly influence that one way or the other), I'm sure they can clear some cap for the 2025-26 season.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Further. Anybody expecting Broberg or Holloway to have specific loyalty to the Oilers its a two way street. Under Woodcrap Holloway and Bro were the constant lackies and unfortunately to some degree this continued. To wit its an absolute clusterf*** (and was all along) that the org was gifting constant games to a no talent like Desharnais instead of growing Broberg as they should've been doing these past two seasons. For Holloways part the org also signalled that it would rather sign useless forwards like Perry and Brown and give them minutes and having no problem having guys like Holloway watch from the bench far more than should be the case.

That said its about money. Two young players are of course going to take the money if offered. I don't blame either.

It's mostly on Holland. I said this many times last year when people were celebrating the Brown bonus as being no big deal, all this dead cap would have consequences.

Fast forward a little over one year later and yep. Holland was awful managing the cap, the only good I can I see is this is a good wake up call for the Oilers management to get their shit together and if there was any doubt that cap management is vitally important there shouldn't be anyone now.
We were both saying this. Its an unpopular view but it makes zero sense signing players with essentially no future just to sit your blue chip prospects who should be the priority. Consistently I despise signings like Perry or Brown and always have. On the other hand players with more skill like Kane and Henrique are useful. I can understand an org giving them priority as they produce, get results. But to have Hollywood have to watch tools like Brown and Perry being priorities. Thats just sick to me.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Sorry you guys aren't keeping up. See below

Anytime you guys want to stop apologizing for Stan it would really make things alot simpler.
Bowman was hired like 3 weeks ago.

Even if day 1 on the job he tried to get the deals signed at those numbers, the agents would have advised their clients to hold off because they knew offer sheets were coming. Friedman said as much when he said the Blues knew they were going to offer sheet these players but wanted to wait to make sure the Oilers couldn’t trade for an arb eligible player to open a second buyout window.

These deals have been sitting in the hopper for over a month to ensure the Oilers options were as limited as possible. Which is the same reason why Armie and Dubas didn’t execute their pick exchange earlier.

The only thing you can really blame Bowman (and Jackson to a larger extent) is for being too naive about their rfa’s being involved in a coordinated effort to back them into a corner. Jackson in particular probably should of realized sooner he was being set up to get shived in the back and moved to deal these kids in order to get better value because paying a couple guys who can’t even crack the lineup consistently 7M combined isn’t going to help the team win.

Reactions: Oilhawks and frag2

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I think you can match Holloway pretty easily. An extra 900k or so isn't going to break the bank either way.

I'm fairly certain as far as the Blues are concerned here the real prize is Broberg. I think they tendered the two offer sheets knowing that Edmonton would match Holloway but by tendering two it increases the level of scramble necessary to open up cap space.
Meh. I'd just move Janmark up to #3LW until Kane gets back. You can get a decent #4LW off waivers and then you can get a better player than Holloway for a 3rd at the deadline.

No sense making the negotiations with the core tougher for a player like Holloway.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I agree with this, but we haven't lost these guys yet.

But yes, our team is old and slow. I can't believe how many people think we should give up on these dynamic young players.

Just match the offer sheet. Are we so focused on the present that we can just destroy our future this badly?

I'd even argue our team needs the youth and speed to win now.
I doubt it happens as the cap management optics are horrible. Would be the Oilers just paying so much more for these players because they screwed up and didn't get the work done signing these two in time. I think we've lost both but in the post I did say "assuming" this occurs. I'm not saying fait accompli.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Meh. I'd just move Janmark up to #3LW until Kane gets back. You can get a decent #4LW off waivers and then you can get a better player than Holloway for a 3rd at the deadline.

No sense making the negotiations with the core tougher for a player like Holloway.
...what? No you can't. That's crazy talk to me.

Holloway was very good and damned valuable in the playoffs. Letting him walk over 900k when he's just starting to pop isn't the type of move a smart team makes.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
How is this the oilers management fault? If the oilers and agents were talking what was the hurry to get something done by mid August?

This is a horrible look on the 2 players for accepting end of story

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I doubt it happens as the cap management optics are horrible. Would be the Oilers just paying so much more for these players because they screwed up and didn't get the work done signing these two in time. I think we've lost both but in the post I did say "assuming" this occurs. I'm not saying fait accompli.

1.8 for Broberg wouldn't work anyway, we would have been over the cap. They took a risk that they could get to late August/September like they had done with Ryan McLeod in the past and basically strong armed them into signing.

It didn't work.

But we're in the situation because of Holland's poor cap management.

Good lesson for this front office. 1 good move followed by 1 bad move isn't good enough GMing. Below average cap management is not good enough. This whole front office to a man needs to step their shit up and quit being satisfied with being mediocre to average.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

Holloway was very good and damned valuable in the playoffs. Letting him walk over 900k when he's just starting to pop isn't the type of move a smart team makes.
He had some good moments, but he barely outscored Cody Ceci haha.

That's very easily replaceable.

Reactions: McDoused

blue zone

Apr 14, 2024
St. Louis only offersheet Holloway to make things harder for Oilers. They're really only after Broberg.
That has been my thought, as well. Holloway might be a nice get, but is really not likely to score top 6 minutes at any time during this OS.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018

I think Holloway can be quickly replaced. Saying he’s gonna pop, is not a guarentee. His ceiling isn’t near what Broberg’s might be. Either way, signing Brob at this amt seems wrong, but if they decide to do that, you let 55 go and get a replacement. Sign JVR perhaps and move on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad