Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Unestablished players have to take the money when it's there for them. They have no guarantee they'll ever sniff that kind of money again.

They could tear their ACL tomorrow and be making $50k/year for the rest of their life working as a PE teacher.

This needs to stop being "mind blowing" information to some posters.

If you want to keep players like this, you need better cap management so you have flexibility in these situations beyond just "we're going to push your signing until September when you have to accept whatever cap is left for RFAs and for UFAs like Kostin and Desharnais it's an automatic seeya later".
Perfect see you later Holloway and Broberg, we will fill your roles with better players that want to be here. Signed the team.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Unestablished players have to take the money when it's there for them. They have no guarantee they'll ever sniff that kind of money again.

They could tear their ACL tomorrow and be making $50k/year for the rest of their life working as a PE teacher.

This needs to stop being "mind blowing" information to some posters.

If you want to keep players like this, you need better cap management so you have flexibility in these situations beyond just "we're going to push your signing until September when you have to accept whatever cap is left for RFAs and for UFAs like Kostin and Desharnais it's an automatic seeya later".
I am not going to defend the Oilers cap management which has often been terrible. But almost every top team has ran into similar issues and had to make choices on how to proceed.

The offer sheet for Broberg is a pretty rare sort of event, though if it is successful I suspect we will see more of these in the next few years. That said there seems to have been a "no urgency" approach to getting things done triggered I believe by the sense that everything revolves around Leon's deal. There is some justification for that position, but I think they pushed it too far.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I am not going to defend the Oilers cap management which has often been terrible. But almost every top team has ran into similar issues and had to make choices on how to proceed.

The offer sheet for Broberg is a pretty rare sort of event, though if it is successful I suspect we will see more of these in the next few years. That said there seems to have been a "no urgency" approach to getting things done triggered I believe by the sense that everything revolves around Leon's deal. There is some justification for that position, but I think they pushed it too far.
You still will have a ballpark number for what you'd expect to pay Leon. Should at least earmark what Matthews just got from the Leafs on his extension. Same goes for Bouchard's next deal, as he's coming off a bridge so it's going to cost big, and Nurse is going to be the floor for him realistically.

Reactions: Reasonable Oil Fan

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I understand there's the take a discount and get traded like McLeod risk, but keep in mind, McLeod played like a p***y was why he got traded. If Holloway was really afraid of becoming the next McLeod, he really undervalued himself and took that offersheet which in the grand scheme of things won't be more than what he could have gotten from the Oilers in 2 years time.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
You still will have a ballpark number for what you'd expect to pay Leon. Should at least earmark what Matthews just got from the Leafs on his extension. Same goes for Bouchard's next deal, as he's coming off a bridge so it's going to cost big, and Nurse is going to be the floor for him realistically.
I agree fully on Leon, though they have options on Bouchard to potentially go shorter term to bring down the AAV somewhat. There are guys like Hughes who went that route. But even then I think $8.5M is pretty much the best you are going to get on something like a 4 year deal. They can front load it and give him bigger signing bonuses to make it a little more appealing.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
If the Oilers start clearing out salary the summer when Jake Neighbours’ contract is running out, you know what’s gonna happen.

Reactions: DarksideGhost

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I agree fully on Leon, though they have options on Bouchard to potentially go shorter term to bring down the AAV somewhat. There are guys like Hughes who went that route. But even then I think $8.5M is pretty much the best you are going to get on something like a 4 year deal. They can front load it and give him bigger signing bonuses to make it a little more appealing.
9M x 8 years. That's more than Bouchard will ever need in his life time.

If the Oilers start clearing out salary the summer when Jake Neighbours’ contract is running out, you know what’s gonna happen.
Dvorsky would be a sweetener revenge. That right around when they start competing again too

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
How is this the oilers management fault? If the oilers and agents were talking what was the hurry to get something done by mid August?

This is a horrible look on the 2 players for accepting end of story
1. Their development wasn't that well handled.
2. They could have (At least in Holloway's case) signed him earlier to prevent this.

Reactions: Boss Man Hughes

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Bouchard is from the same draft as Hughes. He's 24 and did a bridge to age 25. So, he's 2 years out from UFA when his deal ends. I doubt he's going to take a 4 year deal til his 29 and look for another deal. 2025 would be his time to lock in $75 plus million.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I do wonder if this happens if Holland at the helm or still involved. I wonder if his buddy Army would screw him like this, that is. It was always ideal to keep Holland on in some capacity.

I don’t know if I’d “blame” Holland, or JJ, or Stan at that point. The offers from the Blues are sizeable, reasonably predictable by their agents, and would have always been hard for the Oilers to match.

I’ll judge JJ and Bowman on how they handle it now. It won’t be easy. Hard decisions need to be made. Love Kulak and what he brings in the playoffs but he may need to go. Ceci SHOULD go. I f***in hate Brobergs offer sheet number, but it’s hard to lose him at this point. Holloway’s offer sheet number is manageable.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
1. Their development wasn't that well handled.
2. They could have (At least in Holloway's case) signed him earlier to prevent this.
Holloway's development has been fine. We don't really know what offers these players have had made to them, so your 2nd point isn't exactly valid. For all we know, both players have had offers since the off season began. Both could have been waiting out the summer just in case something like this were to happen. It's basically winning the lottery for Broberg, so even with an offer, there was no reason to sign a lowball offer early.

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
I’ve been back and forth on this but I’m thinking we need to find a way to keep both…or at least Broberg
This team is as old as dirt, Broberg IMO will blossom into a top 4 this and we can’t afford to lose him and Desharnais in the same offseason
The depth on D will be razor thin

Holloway brings speed and grit to the bottom 6 and he’s being paid like a 3rd liner that I think will score 15 goals playing there
We need the young legs

If it fails, we can move them next year in a trade to free up cap room

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Managements fault the players want to go somewhere else?

Nope
Management misplayed this.
Considering that offer sheets are few and far between the players and their agents dont play this as if an offer sheet is going to happen.
Thats is just not a realisitc take. Those players were Oilers property and the fact that the Oilers didnt have the cap space to sign them is completely on management...not the players.
The Blues then offered them ridiculously overpaid contracts that any player/person is going to take.
Especially a young player who has an uncertain future.

The team even prioritized a player like Perry (a 40 year old 4th liner) over either Broberg or Holloway...how is that not an issue?
This is 100% on management (Jackson/Holland).

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
I see Oiler hater Friedman (who is in the “pile on the org and fanbase” part of this situation) has gotten fans that don’t bother to look at contract status in a huff by throwing some numbers out without context.

@oXo Cube is right, the Holloway deal in particular would have screwed up the cap structure by walking him to arbitration. Broberg’s was still too much.

IMO it’s an even bigger indictment on Holloway, he was never interested in signing anything remotely team friendly.
What context is needed? If true the players could be had by the org for around 3 million. Now today they are 7 million. He’s reporting a fact, we can analyze that.

Some are concerned it made have been one year, and walk to arb rights. Fine, sweeten and get 2 years you are still cheaper than the offer sheets and not an unreasonable price.

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
I know them's fighting words, but re-sign Draisaitl?? Jake's an RFA the same summer Leon's UFA.
If you petty OS Jake but lose Leon, that's winning a battle but losing the war.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
I guess it comes down to how much you value money.

He's already made over a million in his career. His family is set for life. I'd be more than happy to trade a few million for a good chance at a Cup if I were him.
Not sure what world you live in but a million is not setting his family up for life, he’s not 80 years old. And its not a few million, its way more.

Reactions: Profet and 3IR

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Management misplayed this.
Considering that offer sheets are few and far between the players and their agents dont play this as if an offer sheet is going to happen.
Thats a ridiculous take.Those players were Oilers property and the fact that the Oilers didnt have the cap space to sign them is completely on management...not the players.
The Blues then offered them ridiculously overpaid contracts that any player/person is going to take.
Especially a young player who has an uncertain future.

The team even prioritized a player like Perry (a 40 year old 4th liner) over either Broberg or Holloway...how is that not an issue?
This is 100% on management (Jackson/Holland).
They have/had space to sign them.

If the players want the bag on a bottom feeder all the power to them. It’s all good.

We want players that want to be here to win a cup

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
What context is needed? If true the players could be had by the org for around 3 million. Now today they are 7 million. He’s reporting a fact, we can analyze that.

Some are concerned it made have been one year, and walk to arb rights. Fine, sweeten and get 2 years you are still cheaper than the offer sheets and not an unreasonable price.

What makes you so sure the Oilers offer wasn't a slightly higher AAV on a 2 year contract?

I have no connections to management but I'd bet a decent amount of money that that's exactly what it was.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
They have/had space to sign them.

If the players want the bag on a bottom feeder all the power to them. It’s all good.

We want players that want to be here to win a cup

They don't have the cap space. Broberg at 1.8 and Holloway at 1.5 would put them over the cap.

They were hoping to make it to like late August when both would have no choice but to sign for less like McLeod did a couple of years ago.

It blew up in their face.

This is why you can't be stupid with your cap management and waste millions of dollars as Holland did.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad