Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Oilers88

Jun 19, 2011
I'm not sure I agree Holloway is a more absorbable loss either.

RNH - McDavid - Hyman
Skinner - Draisaitl - Arvidsson
Holloway - Henrique - Brown
Janmark - Ryan - Perry

If Kane is going to miss most/all of the season and you also lose Holloway for a draft pick the forward depth we are all excited about suddenly starts to look pretty thin. Conversely on defense we have 3 certified lefties already and Stetcher as a workable option on the right side.
I don't think you necessarily have to wait until the deadline. There are almost always some PTOs handed out, and at least a few training camp/early season trades (look at Vancouver last year). I don't think it's hard to find someone to fill that role.

Again, I have to confess that my opinion is partially based on the fact that I don't care much for Holloway as a player. Based on his history, I don't see much offensive upside. I think he's a bottom 6 energy player who at this point in his career doesn't play the PK. I really don't envision us having a hard time replacing him.

rec28

Dec 16, 2003
Vancouver Island
Visit site
f*** St Louis, can't wait til the day we f*** them back
Nah - it’s all in the rules. Good move by St. Louis, can’t blame Broberg for accepting a 9M payday based almost entirely on potential, and can’t blame the Oil for not spending crazy cap on 2 players that aren’t currently difference makers while in a cup window. Holloway is a bit surprising but thems the breaks.

North

Jun 25, 2009
As someone pointed out the value with these two players is that they were supposed to be cheap replacements. That part of their value is gone.

Now we have to decide if the money being paid is worth it to match.

Reactions: McDoused

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I’ll take the over. Under and you change your name to Wood4Woody.
No. ;)

Hey, I've seen Arviddsson more than anybody on this board. I know the player inside out and what he is and what he is now. Last season 17 games and through age and injuries the player can look great on some shifts and you don't notice him the rest of the time.

Trouble with Arvy too is at this age he's less mucking for pucks and no longer outworks his size. Loses pucks due to this.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
I voted "take Broberg compensation" but honestly I don't know what to do. Would it be smarter to match and then trade him next year? Can they even make that work if they don't LTIR Ceci?

A similar set of questions could be asked of Holloway. I have little doubt that they could get more than a 3rd for him next off season.
Is the cap more valuable?

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I don't follow NHL as closely anymore so that could be. But Broberg speed and puck skating seemed to be even a critical element for the Oilers in some of the games he played. Not just that he played, and played well he was giving opposition some problems that they had to adjust to. That part to me was interesting to watch.

One thing though if I'm Broberg and agent is the Blues haven't always been kind to younger players. Org has parked more than a few.
The other teams sure adjusted to him, because he got slaughtered in the finals

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
I don't really get the need to castigate players for the offer sheets. It is business after all and each player needs to look after their own careers. Typically as people have mentioned OS offer more pay than would be had otherwise. The end of the day it really is about money for most players.

In the case of both players as well the Oilers did string those players along parking them, sending them down, not giving them as many games, minutes etc. This was mostly rectified under KK but I don't like how Woodcrap handled either of these players.

In any case I with the players well.
Also, maybe they don't sign those offer sheets if the Oilers are close to their asking price.

Seems to me Jackson spent money he didn't have on UFA and then hoped he could lowball these guys to get them under the cap. Serves him right.

Reactions: Yuke and Drivesaitl

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Of course there were conversations. Nowhere did I say that no negotiations happened. And no, the Oilers wouldn't go that high. Nowhere did I say that either.

I'm just saying with a bit more cap room they could've hammered out a reasonable deal and instead this happens. He'd be stupid not to take that deal.

The fact of the matter is that the team is worse without him and Holloway. They're in a cap crunch and could potentially lose two young decent players.
A bit more cap room? They signed for a combined $7m and the Oilers are over the cap as is. They would have had to make a shit ton of moves to keep them, not to mention the overpayments that the Broberg contract is in particular.
There's nothing Jackson could have done within reason to sign these guys at those numbers unless you would have preferred to let the whole 3rd line walk and go with a combination of Lavoie, Savoie etc. on a critical 3rd line

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
Oh puhlease…. Because he’s connected and a known entity in the league, other GMs will bow down and refuse to use all levers to their disposal to make their teams better because we have GMSB?

No one ever thought that or said that.

Doug Armstrong is doing what he can to make STLB better. Now Stan Bowman has to make a move in what is the Oilers best interest, given this move. That’s what this is. All the BS about karma, that he’s a shitty GM for this to happen, what a load of horseshit.
This is exaclty my point. We had a bunch of bowman boosters insisting this was a positive his reputation and membership in the old boys club. This old hand who's well connected. Teams will try to make themselves better and its hilarious the silly narrative of connected Stan Bowman is thrown out the window day one.

Reactions: brentashton

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
That's absurd, it's a business and everyone knows it. No one is gonna be mad at a guy for getting their bag.
Is it the smart thing to do? Would Holloway and Broberg look better playing for St. Louis the next two seasons or with Edmonton? What's the long term projection when it comes to their careers and earnings?

I think it's very poor time preference shown on their part.

Reactions: McBooya42

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I'm not sure I agree Holloway is a more absorbable loss either.

RNH - McDavid - Hyman
Skinner - Draisaitl - Arvidsson
Holloway - Henrique - Brown
Janmark - Ryan - Perry

If Kane is going to miss most/all of the season and you also lose Holloway for a draft pick the forward depth we are all excited about suddenly starts to look pretty thin. Conversely on defense we have 3 certified lefties already and Stetcher as a workable option on the right side.
That fourth line is going to have some rough nights I believe. If we don't match on Holloway, that opens up the Janmark-Henrique-Brown 3rd line, which is fine for me, but Ryan and Perry with any of the options in Bakersfield (Lavoie, Savoie, Jarventie) or any available UFA's might be a tough pill to swallow. I suggested just offering JVR a million to come here, but JVR - Ryan - Perry would be so slow and probably wouldn't work out very well for us. so I'm walking back that one. The only other names still available as UFA's aren't likely any better - Tyler Johnson, Kevin Labanc, Mike Hoffman, Max Pacioretty, Nick Cousins, Filip Zadina - these guys are all either washed out or weren't worth a damn to begin with. Broberg is even harder to replace. Internally we have Stecher, who I was fine with signing as our #7, but as a #6, I have doubts. We signed Josh Brown, and that guy sucks, so I was hoping he would get shipped to Bakersfield anyway. For UFA's, there's really nobody - a bunch of offense only guys who aren't good enough offensively to cover for their mistakes, and wouldn't fit the role we would need them to play, like Barrie, Tony DeAngelo, Justin Schultz, and John Klingberg. There's no decent defensemen left as free agents, so we would have to hope that Stecher is good enough until we can find a replacement via trade, and that we don't have any injuries that would force us to use Josh Brown on a day to day basis.

The more I think about it, the more LTIR'ing Kane and finding a trade for Ceci might be the best option, but even that is a short term fix at best, as Kane probably won't be on LTIR all year.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I voted "take Broberg compensation" but honestly I don't know what to do. Would it be smarter to match and then trade him next year? Can they even make that work if they don't LTIR Ceci?

A similar set of questions could be asked of Holloway. I have little doubt that they could get more than a 3rd for him next off season.
This is my view as well, my gut says match on both, LTIR Kane and but then I think you still have to run a very short roster or you’re trading Kulak or Ceci and at that point other teams have us leveraged and will probably ask for a sweetener to take either even though both should have value.

The flip side is that both Holloway and Broberg would be playing here under the spectre of putting their team in a really bad spot and with a ton of fan media pressure. I can see a situation where one or both crumbles under the pressure and next season we’re stuck with two guys with cap hits they aren’t worth and at that point we’d be lucky to get anything for them at all.

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
So you believe that if anyone else was the GM these offer sheets wouldn’t of happened?
No, I believe these offersheets would happen regardless of who is the gm. One of the speaking points regarding stan bowman was his experience and old boy networks in the league.. Basically holland part two who oddly enough put us in this mess.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
For Holloway, this feels a bit like Kostin. I'm curious if Kostin would say he made the right choice last year leaving for what isn't a ridiculous amount of money.

For Broberg, can't blame him for this because it's just so much money. He just been given $9M+ when he was in the minors for the final game of the season. It's absolutely moronic on St Louis' end to pay that much because of a couple good playoff games.
Really as I stated how surprising is it that young players will take their first bigger pay day when its offered in a sport and league where there are no guarantees and in a sport where your career could be ended in an instant in what is a very dangerous sport. Yeah you take the money as a young player. If you don't you probably even need a new agent...Because any agent of a young player is saying sign the sheet.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Also, maybe they don't sign those offer sheets if the Oilers are close to their asking price.

Seems to me Jackson spent money he didn't have on UFA and then hoped he could lowball these guys to get them under the cap. Serves him right.
Its fair comment. Offer sheets are predatory in nature, thus the term and they occur BECAUSE of a sense that a particular team is cap incapable to match, or unlikely to match.

The Oilers were exposed to this kind of thing and got exposed. Not a good day.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
So the cheap version of Holloway and Broberg (and most likely the players themselves) are essentially gone...just like that.
The cheap replacements needed to shore up the bottom part of the lineup...gone.
All because the team didnt have the cap space to even give themsleves an opportunity to sign both players sooner...before they even became RFA's.

Well...at least the team still has Nurse and his $9.25M contract.
So glad that contract isnt biting this team in the ass.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bryanbryoil

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay

What about trading for Shea Weber’s contract or another LTIR contract? Didn’t VGK do that a couple years ago, traded for a ltir contract to allow themselves to exceed the cap enough to fit their guys in?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad