Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
To play devil’s advocate for a minute, the chatter around this not happening if Holland was still the GM isn’t based on karma or anything like that.

It’s that while Bowman has connections like Holland did, Holland was actually friends with a lot of other GMs. You’re less likely to do something like this to a friend, even if you know it’d improve your team.

I still remember the Lucic trade and how Holland talked Tre into it because they were friends.

BJCOLLINS

Jul 7, 2003
Pirate Satellite
come on guys, can’t blame the players for signing & banking some financial security…..poor asset management no doubt! Not sure a GM would trade either one of these guys for a pair seconds.

The Oilers are still a powerhouse going into the season just a little thinner on the depth chart.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Let them go. Find a Ceci replacement. Keep Janmark/Henrique/Brown together on that third line, replace Holloway's spot on the 4th with someone from the stable.

Seriously. Players on the team are taking pay cuts to win, and they just want the money. They've showed their priorities.
With Broberg, I don't really have an issue with him taking that kind of money. He asked for a trade last year, so sounds like things were sketchy with him and the team anyhow. Way, way more than the Oilers were going to offer. As for Holloway, very disappointed in his decision. It's not leaps and bounds more money than we were going to offer him, and as you mentioned, he showed where his priority lies, and it's not in being a part of a team having a legit shot at a SC.

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
I'm at the point where I take the compensation for Holloway. Broberg signed for the bag, Holloway signed for a coin purse. You can GTFO, Dylan.

Not sure what I'd do with Broberg. There are no good solutions on defense.
It seems like Blues clearly wanted Broberg more and signing Dylan was just a smoke screen. Especially if Broberg plays like round 4 version of himself

keep Broberg, let Dylan go

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I think both Arvidsson and Skinner will score around 30 goals. We'll see.

How many goals will Holloway score? How about your guy, McLeod?
Arviddson has had a string of injuries including a back injury that was recurring. Over/under if he plays 40 games. He played only 17 games last season. This is not a younger healthy Arviddsson we're getting.

rec28

Dec 16, 2003
Vancouver Island
Visit site
I don’t see any bad intentions or mistakes here on anyone’s part. They show strong potential and I’d love to keep them all things being equal but they don’t move the needle enough for a team in their cup window. Both players are smart to take the money based on their previous performance and current status (which admittedly is trending up in both cases). Loyalty doesn’t factor into this in any way, imo. Take the compensation, say good luck and thank you for your service, and move on.

unicornBLOOD

Mar 18, 2022
f*** St Louis.
still a solid bet for them. they have plenty of cap space, and are gambling that Broberg will be a top 4 D, and the only cost was the a 2nd. they are gambling that Holloway will be at least a good 3rd line winger. I see both things happening, sucks for the Oil, good move by the Blues. I don't understand why more teams don't attempt these types of moves.

Reasonable Oil Fan

NO KOOL AID PLEASE!!
Oct 7, 2022
In the Real World
If we are going to keep everyone including Kane (I know stauffer said he wasn’t going to play but there’s been too much back and forth lately) and Nurse, we weren’t going to be able to give these two the raises they deserve anyway.
I suspect that was a major factor in not having them signed already.
Hopefully we have 2 or 3 entry level contracts ready to step up in a big way

Reactions: Davo Ikinzom

Zoupa

Jul 7, 2024
still a solid bet for them. they have plenty of cap space, and are gambling that Broberg will be a top 4 D, and the only cost was the a 2nd. they are gambling that Holloway will be at least a good 3rd line winger. I see both things happening, sucks for the Oil, good move by the Blues. I don't understand why more teams don't attempt these types of moves.

Your last point is what I'm not getting. Are the Oilers in some really unique situation? They offered Broberg a lot and it seems similar things could be done to other teams all the time. Maybe I'm wrong.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I don't really get the need to castigate players for the offer sheets. It is business after all and each player needs to look after their own careers. Typically as people have mentioned OS offer more pay than would be had otherwise. The end of the day it really is about money for most players. Particularly young players who have no guarantees whatsoever what their earnings will be and in a sport that is dangerous where your career can be cut short or over in a moment We lose sight of this. These young players have worked their entire lives for this kind of payday. When it comes you don't send it packing.

In the case of both players as well the Oilers did string those players along parking them, sending them down, not giving them as many games, minutes etc. This was mostly rectified under KK but I don't like how Woodcrap handled either of these players.

In any case I wish the players well.

Last edited:

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
With Broberg, I don't really have an issue with him taking that kind of money. He asked for a trade last year, so sounds like things were sketchy with him and the team anyhow. Way, way more than the Oilers were going to offer. As for Holloway, very disappointed in his decision. It's not leaps and bounds more money than we were going to offer him, and as you mentioned, he showed where his priority lies, and it's not in being a part of a team having a legit shot at a SC.

For Holloway, this feels a bit like Kostin. I'm curious if Kostin would say he made the right choice last year leaving for what isn't a ridiculous amount of money.

For Broberg, can't blame him for this because it's just so much money. He just been given $9M+ when he was in the minors for the final game of the season. It's absolutely moronic on St Louis' end to pay that much because of a couple good playoff games.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
I don't think Broberg will be worth that money next year, maybe the next. Problem was that he'd only be worth that money for us playing in the top 4. He's not worth it if playing on his off side though. We have Ek and Nurse on our left, so it's actually a blessing in disguise IMO. Let him walk. 2.3 is still too much for Holloway too, but not overly so. Let them both go, see if we can trade Ceci, and find a better fit for Nurse.

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
match Broberg, take the third for Holloway

come TDL, find a way to flip the 3rd and Ceci for further D depth

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Arviddson has had a string of injuries including a back injury that was recurring. Over/under if he plays 40 games. He played only 17 games last season. This is not a younger healthy Arviddsson we're getting.
I’ll take the over. If I’m right* you change your name to Wood4Woody.

Last edited:

Reasonable Oil Fan

NO KOOL AID PLEASE!!
Oct 7, 2022
In the Real World
To play devil’s advocate for a minute, the chatter around this not happening if Holland was still the GM isn’t based on karma or anything like that.

It’s that while Bowman has connections like Holland did, Holland was actually friends with a lot of other GMs. You’re less likely to do something like this to a friend, even if you know it’d improve your team.

I still remember the Lucic trade and how Holland talked Tre into it because they were friends.
Yep
We’re still paying for Neal

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I voted "take Broberg compensation" but honestly I don't know what to do. Would it be smarter to match and then trade him next year? Can they even make that work if they don't LTIR Ceci?

A similar set of questions could be asked of Holloway. I have little doubt that they could get more than a 3rd for him next off season.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Don't you worry, I know all about Arvidsson. You can't even spell his name.

• Haha
Reactions: harpoon

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad