Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I’m still learning and trying to wrap my head around how LTIR works so I apologize if this is a dumb question, but are you implying that they can call up players prior to when we have to be compliant, in order to be as close to kanes entire cap hit over the salary cap before LTIRing him to increase the LTIR pool?

I knew teams made moves to get as close to the cap as possible prior to utilizing LTIR to maximize the pool, but I didn’t realize you could also strategically be over by the same amount as the cap hit of the guy you’re putting on LTIR in order to maximize the available LTIR pool as well.

It sounds like the cap situation is going to be tight, but even if we match the offer sheets, a ceci cap dump would be all that’s needed to ice this roster for next season.

Yes we can be 10% over. And dumping the Ceci contract with Kane in LTIR with players added to the roster for Oct 9 does the trick of getting us close to maximizing his LTIR.

What about trading for Shea Weber’s contract or another LTIR contract? Didn’t VGK do that a couple years ago, traded for a ltir contract to allow themselves to exceed the cap enough to fit their guys in?

Yes we should be able to do that I think? Leafs and Bolts have both done this as well. If your going to be in LTIR in for a penny in for a pound.

Reactions: 3IR

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Take the compensation for Holloway to send a message. Match Broberg. Keep him until he find someone better.

Broberg is who St. Louis really wants.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I have no moral highground, he's just got a proven record of being a shitty person and overall don't really think he's a good GM. good on you for assuming though

A proven record of being a shitty person? Please cite his all of his shittiness outside of making the mistake of thinking his boss was handling the problem and remember this country still has laws against slander. Good thing you’re hiding behind your keyboard though.

You’re willfully ignoring the facts of the matter so you can climb up on your moral grandstand and shout down anyone who doesn’t agree with your non factual opinion.

I think you should climb down from your high horse for a minute or two and go lecture Kyle Beach about working with and endorsing Bowman. As he’s such a shitty person and all.

Flames board is thataway ——>

Reactions: Gordy Elbows

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
This really pisses me off that they thought they had the luxury of sitting on these 2 players
You are making an assumption here. The other scenario is they made them contract offers long ago, close to or maybe slightly below the going market. Both players may have said no thanks we are going to test the rfa waters. Then here we are.

Broberg took an incredible contract that nobody in their right mind said would be acceptable 24 hours ago. He had asked for a trade once already. Holloway is a bit different, not a ton of premium on him but he may have looked at all the signings up front and worried about his playing time.

Over seasoning them like holland likes to do is part of the problem here, the sample size is too small in both players to count on them too much so we couldn’t clear guys out for them. They needed to play more, which we were all asking for and didn’t get and that’s part of what caused this mess.

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
You cheer for the Oilers to lose all the time like Flames fans do so you might as well wear their jersey. I’ll even pay for it. Would you like a Huberdeau or an Andersson?
I cheer for the Oilers to have a competent management group who know how to navigate running a winning professional sports organization in the 21st century. can you get me that on a jersey?

lets stick to the topic of this tread for now, going off topic here

Reactions: brentashton

Zguy370

Dec 25, 2007
Question; Can we offer Broberg say less money on a longer contract like $4m x 3, in the next wk, and if he's willing to take it, it will void the OS from the blues?

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I voted "take Broberg compensation" but honestly I don't know what to do. Would it be smarter to match and then trade him next year? Can they even make that work if they don't LTIR Ceci?

A similar set of questions could be asked of Holloway. I have little doubt that they could get more than a 3rd for him next off season.

Its tough because if Broberg turns out to be a top 4 RD it would be pretty stupid to walk away from him. The d market is incredibly thin especially at RD.

But at 4.6 for a team that’s right against the cap, that’s a really difficult decision to make. Theres a chance that Broberg is just a bottom pairing dman.

I guess kudos to the Blues for putting us in a tough spot.

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
Honestly, this screams hatred towards Bowman and I'm not even a little bit surprised. Such a terrible hire and now this little welcome bonus. I could be wrong but doesn't seem like a coincidence to me 🤷
NHL should investigate collusion but I doubt this has anything to do with Bowman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad