Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
I’ll echo what some other posters have been saying. Lose the players, take the picks- add at the deadline
As it should be. It's a veteran team expected to win the Stanley Cup. Neither of these players are currently worth that type of money. Those are contracts for rebuilding teams.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
No brainer to match both, you can move them later if need be.

Trade Ceci and Kulak, problem solved.

Kulak is a solid dman. Have no issues with him at all. Ceci is overpaid for sure. Would definitely not move both in hopes of Broberg replicating what he had shown in the small playoff sample size

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
Funny part is one of the "positives" the Bowman boosters were pushing how well connected and respected he is in the league. That these kind of things wouldnt happen with him at the helm.

Glad that nonsense narrative has been put to rest.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
Funny part is one of the "positives" the Bowman boosters were pushing how well connected and respected he is in the league. That these kind of things wouldnt happen with him at the helm.

Glad that nonsense narrative has been put to rest.

Maybe in the wonderful world that you’ve created in your brilliant mind

The same one where Broberg saved the Oilers from losing the series vs the Canucks

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
With Stauffer and Rishaug now confirming Kane is likely going on LTIR, we can probably afford one but not both.

Walking away on Holloway seems like a no brainer to me. I've never seen the long term upside in the player- I think he's a bottom 6 forward in his prime, and this year he's likely a 4th liner with limited special teams time. In no world can I justify paying him 2.3 when Brown and Janmark make less than 1.5. It sucks to lose him for a third, but I think you can find a comparable or even better player in the $1-1.5 million range, either now or at the deadline.

Broberg is a lot tougher for me. If he can continue to play in the top 4, $4.5 for two years is a bargain. Top 4D are at a premium, particularly if they can play the right side. He's also got a much higher upside, and plays at inarguably our biggest position of need in both the short and long term. In the short term, if we walk away from him we have Ceci and Brown as our second and third d for the season, which is a disaster. We can hope for an upgrade at the deadline, but I hoped for the same last year and it didn't happen. I'm much more nervous about losing him than I am Holloway. Having said that, the risk is obviously higher as well. If he drops the ball in camp the way he has the last few years, that's an anchor that really hurts your chances.

If it's me, I probably match Broberg and walk away on Holloway.
Broberg is the bigger risk though, the higher cap hit for two years limits you more and at the end you have a higher qualifying offer on a player with arb rights. The risk is compounded by the fact that he’s just put a ridiculous amount of pressure to perform on himself. If he crumbles you’re in a tough spot because you’re probably not gettting a 2nd for him if you can trade him at all. Likely you’re just not qualifying him and he walks for nothing.

If Broberg couldn’t grab a job by the horns before, I doubt he’s going to be able to do it now that an angry mob is going to be backing him towards the cliff.

Reactions: McBooya42

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
I'm not sure I agree Holloway is a more absorbable loss either.

RNH - McDavid - Hyman
Skinner - Draisaitl - Arvidsson
Holloway - Henrique - Brown
Janmark - Ryan - Perry

If Kane is going to miss most/all of the season and you also lose Holloway for a draft pick the forward depth we are all excited about suddenly starts to look pretty thin. Conversely on defense we have 3 certified lefties already and Stetcher as a workable option on the right side.

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
You literally cheered for the team to lose.
small price to pay for the greater good

acting like all Oilers fans weren't on board with actively tanking from 2010 - 2015. Back then we wanted them to lose to get better players, I wanted them to lose so our front office can get cleaned out

only difference is, you supported Holland & Co and now Bowman & Co. I don't and neither do a larger portion of the fanbase.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Holloway, McLeod, Broberg represent a lot of speed in the Oilers lineup. Just saying, and losing that, its not a good thing. Haven't seen a comment on that specifically.

Nor is the team again getting so much older a good thing.

not good news today

Its a trouble with going all the way to the Final though is everybody is watching your every player.

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
Maybe in the wonderful world that you’ve created in your brilliant mind

The same one where Broberg saved the Oilers from losing the series vs the Canucks
You're one step away from waiting for Sheldon Kennedy to say why these offersheets are a good thing.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Holloway, McLeod, Broberg represent a lot of speed in the Oilers lineup. Just saying, and losing that, its not a good thing. Haven't seen a comment on that specifically.

Nor is the team again getting so much older a good thing.

not good news today

Its a trouble with going all the way to the Final though is everybody is watching your every player.

This is actually a big problem and why they need to match at least Holloway - I was already concerned about speed with McLeod gone and with Holloway also gone, that bottom six would be molasses and frankly will cost us games.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
small price to pay for the greater good

acting like all Oilers fans weren't on board with actively tanking from 2010 - 2015. Back then we wanted them to lose to get better players, I wanted them to lose so our front office can get cleaned out

only difference is, you supported Holland & Co and now Bowman & Co. I don't and neither do a larger portion of the fanbase.
It you don’t see the difference between cheering to lose when you are a lottery team and cheering to lose in a cup window with McDrai contracts coming up then I don’t know what to tell you.

Reactions: capazzo

KlimasLoveChild

Feb 25, 2012
I think it is either cut bait or furiously pursue a trade for a legitimate top 4 dman with Broberg and Holloway involved. I’m not sure how well this goes over in the room now that we have a good chunk of our vets signing for discounts. In fact if you match these and stand pat maybe drai decides he want’s market value and the whole idea of taking discounts gets thrown out the window. I think anyway you slice it these guys don’t play as oilers again.

Reactions: McDoused

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
This is actually a big problem and why they need to match at least Holloway - I was already concerned about speed with McLeod gone and with Holloway also gone, that bottom six would be molasses and frankly will cost us games.
There are other moves that can be made if you are just looking for speed.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Player speed is that kind of thing that can be an element that you don't know how much it means till its gone. All 3 of the players brought elements that were giving opponents some trouble in playoffs.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I think I is either cut bait or furiously pursue a trade for a legitimate top 4 dman with Broberg and Holloway involved. I’m not sure how well this goes over in the room now that we have a good chunk of our vets signing for discounts. In fact if you match these and stand pat maybe drai decides he want’s market value and the whole idea of taking discounts gets thrown out the window. I think anyway you slice it these guys don’t play as oilers again.

Can only trade them in a year from now. Team either matches or they don’t.

Player speed is that kind of thing that can be an element that you don't know how much it means till its gone. All 3 of the players brought elements that were giving opponents some trouble in playoffs.

Unfortunately the Blues have put us in a bad spot.

Difficult to match these contracts especially Brobergs.

Guess we will see what Jackson/Bowman’s plan are.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad