Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Exactly. Broberg signed the deal that makes the Oilers walk away.

It's just business, nothing more.

It doesn't take away from the fact that this deal is paying for the "expectation" of a player who has yet to show a lot in terms of consistent top 4 defenseman performance.
His partner, if he's a top 4 guy is either Paryako or Faulk, depending on who played with Krug last season and whether they opt to split whoever was partnering with Leddy last season.

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
Define worth? Its relative. For Blues this makes complete sense for their cap structure and what they might need. Few players have a coming out party like Broberg did in playoffs and then fall flat. The guy was very good with ice cold veins in the biggest stress games possible.

Clearly Broberg had shown his game and confirmed it in playoffs.

With all due respect, this happens every single playoff year.

Young player has good 8-10 game stretch in post-season and has trouble following up the following season is literally one of the most common NHL narratives.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Between the two I would keep Broberg. At least you can understand from his point of view and he's better than Holloway and a greater need now and the next 10 years.

• Haha
Reactions: CycloneSweep

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I believe we are currently over the cap by ~7.3m if we match Broberg and Holloway. In order to maximize the LTIR pool, we would want to go into the season cap compliant, but as close to the cap as possible and LTIR kane when the season starts. However that isn't looking likely now that the offer sheets have been signed.

So my understanding is we should still be able to become cap compliant if we LTIR kane during the summer and trade Ceci, but instead of getting the full relief of 3.25m of capspace for ceci, and the full 5.25m LTIR pool from kane, we would instead only get whatever the cap overage ends up being when Kane is placed on LTIR.

hypotethically if we trade Ceci for zero cap coming back, we would be around 4m over the cap. If we LTIR Kane at that point, we only recieve the 4m overage as our LTIR pool rather than his entire caphit. So we lose ~1.25m as flexibility, while also not being able to accrue capspace throughout the season.

They don’t have to put Kane on LTIR till Oct 8 so they can call up players to max out LTIR.

Meanwhile Ceci needs to list his house.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
With all due respect, this happens every single playoff year.

Young player has good 8-10 game stretch in post-season and has trouble following up the following season is literally one of the most common NHL narratives.
I don't follow NHL as closely anymore so that could be. But Broberg speed and puck skating seemed to be even a critical element for the Oilers in some of the games he played. Not just that he played, and played well he was giving opposition some problems that they had to adjust to. That part to me was interesting to watch.

One thing though if I'm Broberg and agent is the Blues haven't always been kind to younger players. Org has parked more than a few.

Reactions: Ol' Jase

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Anyone look at the Blues RFA's in the next year or two? There's a reason why offer sheets are rarely done. You're F**ING over another team. I have no doubt the Oilers will be going after theirs in the coming years. It's any teams right to offer sheet but they risk getting a taste of their own medicine down the line. It's business but not necessarily ethical in NHL circles.
I can't even count 5 offers sheet in the last 30 years.
I mean there are 4 that involve the oilers in the past 20

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Assuming we don't match we'll have 7 picks available for the 2025 draft.

We have 6 picks available for the 2026 and 2027 drafts, info from puckpedia, but cap-space has us having all our own picks for 2026.

For both 2026 and 2017 we have our own 1st, 2nd and 3rd picks. Interesting.

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
Here are offer sheets since 2006. Yeah the Oil did a couple but only there's been only 10 league-wide since 2006.
Screenshot_20240813_114258_Brave.jpg

Last edited:

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
If we let both go to the Blues we'll have zero 1st round picks under Holland in the organization.
Broberg-2nd
Holloway-3rd
XB-Jarventie
Schaffer+23 1st-Ekholm
24 1st-Henrique

I see Holloway as another Foegele and replaceable but Broberg is a huge x factor. He could become a top pairing D or bust and be a dime a dozen bottom pairing player.

Losing Holloway could also open up a spot for Savoie who projects to be a better player.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I'm a big believer in karma so this is really funny to me

hire a scumbag GM, lose your top 2 young guys

Seems some Oiler “fans” need to shop for another team to cheer for. May I suggest the Flames? They are short of fans right now.

If there's such thing as karma, everyone would already be dead from eating animals

So would most animals then.

aspin3

Oct 31, 2017
If Jackson were boss and knowing what St. Louis was thinking of doing they would have upped the cost Pittsburgh asked for St. Louis' 2nd round pick.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
Edmonton
honestly I think i just let them both walk

Stecher can be a stop gap on RHD while we look during the season for a replacement and we have enough forward depth that losing Holloway wont hurt too bad

If they can find a way to keep Holloway then sure but bye bye Broberg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad