Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
It's Holland's fault that we are currently in a cap crunch which is the gist of what he's saying.
Or Jackson's fault for prioritizing Arvidsson, Skinner, Henrique, Janmark, Brown etc over Holloway and Broberg. :D

Does this include our dead cap? This doesn't feel right
That is possible but I used Capwages GM mode. If it is off, then you might be right.

Reactions: Oilhawks

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
Based on what? There's no evidence for this and that says nothing about Cody Ceci who pretty much straight up sucks.

The projections for Broberg in this thread are built around hopes and prayers.
Based on postseason performances, I think it's really easy to think Broberg at 4m is a better bet than Ceci at 3.25m.

Ceci is no doubt seen as a safer option to the org, but I don't think it's unreasonable to bet on Broberg outperforming Ceci right from the start of training camp this coming season given the point that they're both at in their careers.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
Or Jackson's fault for prioritizing Arvidsson, Skinner, Henrique, Janmark, Brown etc over Holloway and Broberg. :D

That is possible but I used Capwages GM mode. If it is off, then you might be right.

Can’t imagine this place if the Oilers let the whole third line walk, stood pat on July 1 and then signed these guys to these deals. Ugly wouldn’t begin to describe it

grego

Jan 12, 2005
Saskatchewan
If they are happy going from a Stanley cup potential team to trying to drag a team into playoff contention for more money that is their right.

Rfa is not the freebie player it used to be. You can't pay for potential if you are competitive. You pay for what you get today. At those rates a younger guy for Holloway on the roster or get an old vet for less money

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
You believe that Broberg was going to take a significantly lower contract just to be an Oiler?

I don't think you're grasping just how much of an overpayment this deal actually is.
Yup, Broberg already once demanded a trade. Just awful management of player development all around. He only came in the playoffs out of desperation Vs Vancouver.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
You believe that Broberg was going to take a significantly lower contract just to be an Oiler?

I don't think you're grasping just how much of an overpayment this deal actually is.
I don't know, and neither do you. Nobody's saying it isn't an overpayment, but do you not think we could've signed him for less than that?

If we lose both Broberg and Holloway for picks that really sucks, with the aforementioned contracts looming large.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Anyone know if these offersheets have been signed by Holloway broberg? Or are at Louis saying they have offersheeeted them and waiting for descion? Or does the 7 days start now?
They have signed. I suspect tons of offer sheets get offered. Draisiaitl is likely sitting on a few right now

• Haha
Reactions: Stauf4Prez

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Based on postseason performances, I think it's really easy to think Broberg at 4m is a better bet than Ceci at 3.25m.

Ceci is no doubt seen as a safer option to the org, but I don't think it's unreasonable to bet on Broberg outperforming Ceci right from the start of training camp this coming season given the point that they're both at in their careers.

Again, based on what? Broberg got caved in every bit as badly as Ceci did in the playoffs.

Philip's .970 goaltending allowed him to Vancouver his way into a contract that is 3M more than he's actually worth. If he can manage to be a decent #6 next year that might make him better at hockey than Ceci but it wouldn't make the contract the Blues signed him to any less of an albatross and it certainly wouldn't make him a better fit on our roster at their current prices.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
Yup, Broberg already once demanded a trade. Just awful management of player development all around. He only came in the playoffs out of desperation Vs Vancouver.

When did he play vs Vancouver?

Do you actually watch this team or just come on here to bitch like the rest of the sad boys?

Reactions: Senor Catface

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
I don't know, and neither do you. Nobody's saying it isn't an overpayment, but do you not think we could've signed him for less than that?

If we lose both Broberg and Holloway for picks that really sucks, with the aforementioned contracts looming large.
Do you honestly think that there wasn't a single conversation between the Oilers and Broberg's agent?

Do you honestly think that any number discussed was remotely close to $4.5M per year for a player who hasn't played close to a full NHL season yet?

Broberg hit the lottery, plain and simple. Good for him and his agent, but thank god the Oilers didn't bite on this.

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
They have signed. I suspect tons of offer sheets get offered. Draisiaitl is likely sitting on a few right now
If anyone has talked to Drai about a contract that would be a pretty big violation. And once this contract is over there’s no offer sheets, he’s a UFA and the oilers retain no rights to him.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Do you honestly think that there wasn't a single conversation between the Oilers and Broberg's agent?

Do you honestly think that any number discussed was remotely close to $4.5M per year for a player who hasn't played close to a full NHL season yet?

Broberg hit the lottery, plain and simple. Good for him and his agent, but thank god the Oilers didn't bite on this.
Of course there were conversations. Nowhere did I say that no negotiations happened. And no, the Oilers wouldn't go that high. Nowhere did I say that either.

I'm just saying with a bit more cap room they could've hammered out a reasonable deal and instead this happens. He'd be stupid not to take that deal.

The fact of the matter is that the team is worse without him and Holloway. They're in a cap crunch and could potentially lose two young decent players.

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
McDavid right now

1000002023.jpg

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I guess we have to decide just how important Broberg is. Luckily this deal expires just as McDavid's does

Imo Broberg is this important. Our defense is already too weak and Broberg was a future core piece. He's our insurance against Nurse. Broberg was too good this playoffs.

St.Louis did an outside the box move to fight for their team. Our team needs to do the same. If Broberg is gone we need a real plan to recover.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad