Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
The Oilers were kinda hoping they could eek this out as they have done with players like McLeod in the past, where the RFA player is basically forced to accept a lower 1 or 2 year deal with the promise of getting paid more later.

The problem is with the cap rising and everyone else getting cap space, the dead cap weighing against the Oilers becomes a massive drag. Other teams got the full 5 million cap increase, we got basically none of it because we're basically paying Brown dead cap this year and Campbell too.

This is on Holland for putting the Oilers in this situation.
But your post specifically said that the contracts were the reason you couldn’t sign these two to 1.5 million contracts. This is false, the oilers could have and would have signed that deal and the other contracts had no bearing on that.

The other overpays and issues only come into play when you reach the cross over point of what you valued them at, what they were willing to sign for and what they could get for an rfa deal and when you’d didn’t have cap for that.

The Broberg contract is so wildly out of the market I can’t even imagine a contract I’m happy with today that makes that go away. What’s the highest number you pay him in the oilers? Is it even close to 4.5?

Holloway is a bit closer, it’s maybe a 500k overpay.

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
Especially Broberg. How much do we think the Oilers were offering? 2x2? People expecting a guy who doesn't even have a guaranteed NHL career ahead of him to leave 5+ million dollars on the table just because the Oilers are good are out of their minds.

Players like Skinner and Henrique can do that because they've had long careers and already got theirs.
Exactly. Broberg has requested a trade in the past, and honestly was mishandled at multiple points in his early career here. I was honestly surprised he wasn't already traded. As a fan, I'm still not entirely convinced he's going to be as good as I hope, so I can only imagine how scary it must be to be in his shoes. 23 Years old with less than a full NHL season worth of games as experience negotiating a contract with zero leverage for a team that you requested a trade from a year ago.

Anyone who can remove the emotional bias should be able to see why Broberg especially would be vulnerable to the kind of stability the offersheet brings.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
They did play in the playoffs so what's up with this no guarantee?
They did last year, yes. Either could slip back into the AHL quite easily.

We have a cap crunch because we have one of the most stacked roster in the NHL though. Tampa and Colorado both went through cap crunches over the past few years too.
we have a cap crunch because Holland grossly overpaid Nurse and Campbell.

Reactions: luiginb

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
I can't imagine it's a very easy thing to reliably report on. It sounds like Kane wanted to wait and see how he healed without surgery or additional measures, and felt like it was going good, until it wasn't.

Either way, all that matters is how the organization handles all of these individual problems coming to a head. We were 1 game away from the ultimate goal, and I'm confident the guys on the ice are more than capable of winning that extra game this year, as long as the management group can get us into game 1 without spoiling what was a fantastic start to the offseason.
All the reporters have to do is not fabricate news out of their asses.

Reactions: Captain Fantastic

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
Our reporters were all but guaranteeing that both would be done at under 3M, and both were assuredly receiving two year deals.
ignoring the contracts signed today and cap issues , what did you think was a reasonable price?

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Speed only matters when the player brings something else.

Foegele and McLeod were both maddeningly inconsistent. Losing two younger players that had more potential is tougher, but neither are proven.
In Broberg's case most here penciled him into our top 4. He's not proven over the long haul, gut he is not just a spare piece either. If we don't match our D starts to look like a weakness unless there's a big upgrade out there. Makes you wonder if we couldn't have gotten such an upgrade by offering these 2 for said upgrade?

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Broberg looked like a 4mil player in the playoffs

No he didn't and even if he did that's a 10 game sample which is indicative of absolutely nothing.

The coaching staff everyone on here loves so much didn't even want to play Broberg at all but he goes on one short stretch with a PDO that makes Vancouver look sustainable and all of a sudden he's a premium asset the team can't afford to lose around here. Real head scratcher.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Again, don’t blame these players for going for the bag, but they knew they would get paid later and need to take team friendly deals (like the UFAs) to stay. They made their choices and would not be looked at the same in the lockerroom if they somehow return.
Yeah but later might not come. What happens if Broberg took 2 years 1.1m/yr left almost 8m on the table and suffered a career altering injury? You can't take those chances as a player who hasn't earned a lot. We would have all done the same tbh.
The players you'd expect to take big discounts (and lets be honest, there's none of them out there outside of Jalen Brunson if you know his story) are players with a large financial base already in place like McDavid and Draisaitl or Henrique to use a recent example.

Reactions: Ibanez

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
But your post specifically said that the contracts were the reason you couldn’t sign these two to 1.5 million contracts. This is false, the oilers could have and would have signed that deal and the other contracts had no bearing on that.

The other overpays and issues only come into play when you reach the cross over point of what you valued them at, what they were willing to sign for and what they could get for an rfa deal and when you’d didn’t have cap for that.

The Broberg contract is so wildly out of the market I can’t even imagine a contract I’m happy with today that makes that go away. What’s the highest number you pay him in the oilers? Is it even close to 4.5?

Holloway is a bit closer, it’s maybe a 500k overpay.

We could have but then we wouldn't have a cap compliant team. We tried our best to "McLeod" these players (ie: basically force them to take a little less for a 1 year deal by pushing the issue into like late August/September), it's not so easy to make that work though when you have other teams that aren't burdened by so much dead cap and have millions in space just sitting there.

The cap going up basically hurt us because we spent that cap increase on basically dead cap (Brown + Campbell overage and buyout), other teams weren't restricted by that.

We got put into a really bad position by Holland.

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
My biggest concern with having them walk is that the oilers become so god damn slow/old and speed win cups.

Foegle, McLeod, Halloway, Broberg, are all very good skaters.

Other than McDavid, who else can push the pace? Drai has good top speed, but plays a slower game. Hyman might be out second fastest.
Agreed, the lack of skating ability throughout the lineup is definitely concerning, and while I don't believe losing those two would necessarily be the difference between the cup or golfing early next season, I think losing them now is going to make the years after next significantly more painful cap wise.

We don't have the prospect pool to absorb the loss of two guys like broberg and holloway in the medium to long term imo.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I don't get this. There is a group of management, Jackson, Bowman, Brad Holland, Keith Gretzky. It isn't just on Bowman.

You can match both and still survive with the current roster if Kane is LTIR. I don't like Broberg at that money, but if they decide to, it is still manageable. This still has you at $1.2M under the cap, with Kane on LTIR.

View attachment 900771
That's good to know. Well Bowman was hired for his experience as a GM and yes there is a management team involved, but at the end of the day this will be on JJ and Bowman.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
In Broberg's case most here penciled him into our top 4. He's not proven over the long haul, gut he is not just a spare piece either. If we don't match our D starts to look like a weakness unless there's a big upgrade out there. Makes you wonder if we couldn't have gotten such an upgrade by offering these 2 for said upgrade?
And that was a mistake penciling Broberg into the top 4. He needed a full year on the third pair to develop.

Remember what I said about Holloway yesterday?

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
It's Holland's fault that we are currently in a cap crunch which is the gist of what he's saying.
Again, the idea that Broberg is worth $4.5M per season right now is so laughable that our current cap situation has absolutely no relevance.

I can only hope that it was, and is, a hard pass from the Oilers on this contract. It’s absolutely ridiculous, and of course Broberg couldn’t sign it fast enough.

Macheteops

Apr 13, 2005
Short of Jeff Jackson putting a gun to the head of these players and forcing them to sign smaller contracts that you would prefer, I’m not really sure what he was supposed to do here.

Could have signed a nothing player like Perry to league minimum and not signed a player like Henrique. Hopkins could have assumed the 3C role. You would have given yourself a bit more flexibility in your cap situation. You might not of became a prime target. They completely opened themselves up to offer sheets

I do believe they match Holloway but no way they can touch Broberg at that. Too risky in their position

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
And that was a mistake penciling Broberg into the top 4. He needed a full year on the third pair to develop.

Remember what I said about Holloway yesterday?
It's because we have no other possible options unless you think that Stetcher is it. D is our big weakness because of Mr. $9.25 needing to be babysat.

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
All the reporters have to do is not fabricate news out of their asses.
It sounds easy until the guy who doesn't verify his information starts breaking all the news and taking all your views/engagement.

It's all a business, and in the business of gossip and rumors, being first is the easiest way to be "the best". To be clear, I don't think guys like Rishaug pull stuff out of their asses as rumors, but I do think they may give their sources the benefit of the doubt a bit too often because they trust them enough to risk being wrong rather than definitely being late.

Reactions: McDoused

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Again, the idea that Broberg is worth $4.5M per season right now is so laughable that our current cap situation has absolutely no relevance.

I can only hope that it was, and is, a hard pass from the Oilers on this contract. It’s absolutely ridiculous, and of course Broberg couldn’t sign it fast enough.
Of course he's not worth that much. But the Oilers are in a cap crunch right now and can't hammer out an extension that satisfies both sides. The Nurse and Campbell contracts are weighing heavily on our cap. We're going to lose him for next to nothing and it really sucks.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
Yeah but later might not come. What happens if Broberg took 2 years 1.1m/yr left almost 8m on the table and suffered a career altering injury? You can't take those chances as a player who hasn't earned a lot. We would have all done the same tbh.
The players you'd expect to take big discounts (and lets be honest, there's none of them out there outside of Jalen Brunson if you know his story) are players with a large financial base already in place like McDavid and Draisaitl or Henrique to use a recent example.

Holloway is whatever with the money accepted (probably not much more than what they would have paid him anyhow).

Broberg goes both ways, yes you “don’t turn down the money”, but he probably figured it’s an amount they can’t match. So he probably didn’t care to stay either way. He can enjoy the time on a club on the downswing and hope $9M isn’t “all” he ever ends up making

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

Well if we pass and let him walk then our D is not cup caliber. There had better be a move bringing in a clear D upgrade during the season.

Ibanez

Dec 1, 2014
I can’t blame broberg here honestly. That’s life altering money. Like this sucks but you’re an idiot if you don’t take that at his age. Sure the peeps in the locker room might not see him the same way anymore. But the vets have made their money and can afford to take discounts. Broberg is still young and hasn’t made bank yet. No one in their right mind would turn that offer down.

Holloway is a bit more of a head scratcher for me.

I guess we wait and see. I think it’s pretty much impossible to keep both here.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
I don't get this. There is a group of management, Jackson, Bowman, Brad Holland, Keith Gretzky. It isn't just on Bowman.

You can match both and still survive with the current roster if Kane is LTIR. I don't like Broberg at that money, but if they decide to, it is still manageable. This still has you at $1.2M under the cap, with Kane on LTIR.

View attachment 900771
Does this include our dead cap? This doesn't feel right

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad