Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
This doesn’t add up. The oilers could’ve signed those contracts at 1.5, I’m sure that’s what was on the table even. The players didn’t take it and shopped around. They wanted money and wanted out, the contracts you quote are only an issue if you want to sign these two at 6.7 combined, and would anyone have wanted that 6 hours ago?

The Oilers were kinda hoping they could eek this out as they have done with players like McLeod in the past, where the RFA player is basically forced to accept a lower 1 or 2 year deal at around 1-1.2 mill with the promise of getting paid more later.

The problem is with the cap rising and everyone else getting cap space, the dead cap weighing against the Oilers becomes a massive drag. Other teams got the full 5 million cap increase, we got basically none of it because we're basically paying Brown dead cap this year and Campbell too.

This is on Holland for putting the Oilers in this situation.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I was talking about Holloway.

If you are talking about Broberg, Did he not play in the finals? You know your name will go on the cup if you play in the finals?
Same deal, no guarantees for either one of them.

And yes I know that. Again, no gaurantees for either. Broberg wasn't even on our radar in the playoffs until Desharnais started being... Desharnais.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
If Nurse was making less money it would've been spent on the players that took discounts to stay here anyway. The only reason Bouchard, Henrique, Skinner, Brown, Janmark etc. are making as little as they are is because they knew we couldn't afford to pay them more. Pay Nurse less and those players are suddenly demanding more.

Anyway, it's definitely not worth keeping Broberg at that price. Holloway is debatable too.

Broberg looked like a 4mil player in the playoffs

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
I think you underestimate just how much the players understand that its a business first, and how happy they are for their friends making huge money. I've never once held anything against a fellow employee going to another company for a better deal, and they weren't leaving for millions more. NHL players are no different.
I get it's a business. My point is that if my colleague's employment status was in limbo for a week, he/she wouldn't be receiving updates about our corporate version of "captain skates" until the matter was resolved.

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
I wish we could get the truth from at least one of our shity reporters. All they do is lie, make shit up... or f*** up.
I can't imagine it's a very easy thing to reliably report on. It sounds like Kane wanted to wait and see how he healed without surgery or additional measures, and felt like it was going good, until it wasn't.

Either way, all that matters is how the organization handles all of these individual problems coming to a head. We were 1 game away from the ultimate goal, and I'm confident the guys on the ice are more than capable of winning that extra game this year, as long as the management group can get us into game 1 without spoiling what was a fantastic start to the offseason.

Kaniac

Sep 11, 2018
My biggest concern with having them walk is that the oilers become so god damn slow/old and speed win cups.

Foegle, McLeod, Halloway, Broberg, are all very good skaters.

Other than McDavid, who else can push the pace? Drai has good top speed, but plays a slower game. Hyman might be out second fastest.

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
It's Holland's fault

2 mill overpay on Nurse
3.25 mill dead cap this year on Brown
1.3 mill dead cap Campbell buy out
1.9 mill dead cap Neal buyout

Too much bad cap management during Holland's tenure. I can understand having some dead/wasted cap but almost 10 million is ridiculously bad management. We should have at least 5-6 million more in cap space, if we did, both would've been signed in July for a fraction of this cost (1.5-1.75 mill per probably).
It’s Holland’s fault that St. Louis has decided to overpay Holloway and grossly overpay Broberg two months after his contract expired?

Just a wild and ridiculous take.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
People think it's just about money but it's also about opportunity that he's not likely to get here.
Blues are well resourced with young, peak years forwards and with their top prospects tilting pedigree forwards. There's a window for Holloway. But this is a calculated strike to get a young, emergent NHL defensemen to reset their old, expensive d-corp.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
My biggest concern with having them walk is that the oilers become so god damn slow and speed win cups.

Other than McDavid, who else can push the pace? Drai has good top speed, but plays a slower game. Hyman might be out second fastest.

Gonna have to start taking flyers on prospect flame outs from other teams like Alex Nylander.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
It’s Holland’s fault that St. Louis has decided to overpay Holloway and grossly overpay Broberg two months after his contract expired?

It's Holland's fault that we are currently in a cap crunch which is the gist of what he's saying.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

It's his fault we have like 10 million in poorly allocated cap (most of it dead cap that you can't even trade).

If we didn't have that we could have signed both of these players a month ago to a more reasonable deal that would've given them a reasonably good raise that they likely would have bit on a month ago.

Can't have 10 million in like poorly spent or effectively dead cap and have no consequences for it. Holland left a mess of bad cap management.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
My biggest concern with having them walk is that the oilers become so god damn slow and speed win cups.

100%. Add in Savoie if he's NHL ready as a guy that can skate. We need to retain these two. If we can't we need to add some speed via trade or FA.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Same deal, no guarantees for either one of them.

And yes I know that. Again, no gaurantees for either. Broberg wasn't even on our radar in the playoffs until Desharnais started being... Desharnais.
They did play in the playoffs so what's up with this no guarantee?

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011

Speed only matters when the player brings something else.

Foegele and McLeod were both maddeningly inconsistent. Losing two younger players that had more potential is tougher, but neither are proven.

Reactions: McDoused

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
This can’t be stressed enough, if the oilers signed Broberg to this contract yesterday the outrage here would be massive. Why would you sign it today now? Most people thought you’d get both for less than $4.5. Let him go, he chose the money and found someone to give it to him.
Our reporters were all but guaranteeing that both would be done at under 3M, and both were assuredly receiving two year deals.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Well one thing is for sure, it's time for Bowman to earn his pay. These 2 guys are big parts of the future of this team.
I don't get this. There is a group of management, Jackson, Bowman, Brad Holland, Keith Gretzky. It isn't just on Bowman.

You can match both and still survive with the current roster if Kane is LTIR. I don't like Broberg at that money, but if they decide to, it is still manageable. This still has you at $1.2M under the cap, with Kane on LTIR.

Screenshot 2024-08-13 100734.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad